Hess and Chevron Gas stations putting large hold on debit cards

safetymom

dis veteran
Just an FYI, if you buy gas using a debit card without a pin they are putting a $75 hold on your checking acct, no matter what amt of gas you buy. It can take as long as 3 business days for that hold to come off.

The companies are saying they are doing this because of the rising price of gasoline.

To avoid having the hold placed on your acct. they recommend using your debit card with the pin number.

I won't be buying gas at Hess anytime soon.

They only placed signs on the pumps informing people once people started complaining.

This happened to my daughter last week. When she went to the bank the bank of course blamed the gas station. The gas station of course blamed the bank.

Someone in Tampa filed a lawsuit about it. So be careful everyone.

This has been true for years. NEVER pay at the pump with a debit card. They only read the card for a few seconds to make sure it is valid and put a hold on it. That saves bandwidth charges on the computer network. Of course in years past it may have only been $30 or $40, and with the rising price of gas, they have to increase the hold.

Another thing I have noticed some gas stations doing is when you pay with a CC at the pump, the most they will let you pump is $50. That is a bit aggravating when I want to fill up and it takes about $68 to fill my tank. I wait till my tank is empty, then fill it. Then, when I try to continue to fill the tank on a new transaction, my CC asks me to come inside because it is two consecutive transactions at the same location. It is really a PITA.

Carol

I have been paying at the pump for years with my debit card as a credit card and never had a problem like this.

For now I will be buying gas at other stations that don't do this.

Thankfully my tank doesn't hold $50 worth of gas. :)

Safetymom, that is exactly what we have begun doing! and we also are thankful that our vehicles don't hold 51$ (thats the amount being charged) worth of gas even when completely empty!!

Of course, it costs the gas station more to process a "credit" transaction (no pin) than a "debit" transaction (pin) when using a bank debit card. I smell a rat.

Brian Noble said:
Of course, it costs the gas station more to process a "credit" transaction (no pin) than a "debit" transaction (pin) when using a bank debit card. I smell a rat.
Exactly... have you noticed how at grocery store checkouts, when you swipe your debit card, and press Credit, it still asks for a pin? Publix, Winn Dixie, Wal*Mart, and now even Best Buy do it.

They were talking about this on the radio the other morning.

They were also saying that some bars do this as well when your order a round of drinks. A girl called in saying that she had paid for three rounds of drinks a few minghts earlier and had $225 tied up in holds on her debit card for $23 worth of drinks!

Anne

Jellyrolls did that to my card... Took a whole WEEK for it to return to normal. :( But at least the server warned me about it first.

For clarification...this only applies to debit cards, right, not regular Credit Cards?

Yes this is only for debit cards.

I don't have a problem if they warn you about it first. Hess didn't start putting a sign on the pumps until after many people complained and it hit the news.

Must be a Florida thing. Have never noticed anything like that here in MN. the most I have noticed is $1.

I know it is happening here in FL but posted to warn those that are coming to WDW on vacation.

Been going on here in NY for some time now, and I recently saw a sign at a Texaco station in Vermont a week ago. I use a credit card.

This is why I am very hesitant to use my Debit card. The other risk is that someone will "mirror" your card. If they "mirror" your debit card then they are in your bank account. You will get your cash back, but..... I had a Mastercard "copied" probably at a resturant in Cleveland, OH. Before I found out about $2,000 worth of charges had been processed. They were all reversed without an issue, but I would have hated for that to be out of my bank account.

I saw a young couple with children on the news. They had a $75 hold put on their debit card at a Hess station. They didn't have the cash they need for groceries for the weekend. Some people live pay check to pay check and can't have large holds put on their money. It took 3 days to straighten it out.

Lori

I had this problem with Courtyard by Marriott in Birmingham. The room was free becaus of reward points but they wanted a card for "incidentals" so I gave them my debit/credit card. They said they only hold $20. Then they came back & said it was denied. I thought there was just some problem at my bank so I gave them the AMEX. When I got home I found out on that card they said was denied had a $300 hold on it for 3 full days. I was soooooo mad. This could have really messed up my acct. I dont know how they put a hold on a card they said was denied.

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
Exactly... have you noticed how at grocery store checkouts, when you swipe your debit card, and press Credit, it still asks for a pin? Publix, Winn Dixie, Wal*Mart, and now even Best Buy do it.
Yes, a few stores here in MI have started doing this as well. I'm just curmudgeonly enough to stop patronizing those stores.

Brian Noble said:
Yes, a few stores here in MI have started doing this as well. I'm just curmudgeonly enough to stop patronizing those stores.
Maybe it's a state thing?

Here in DE, I only use my debit, pin or not, for everything and have never had any money held ever for anything. Wierd.

Now I'm going to have to start watching my account like a hawk... :earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter