Here's a real DCL WOW - 12/29/05 Wonder sailing gets a surprise double scoop!!!

goofydadeo

Mouseketeer
Not sure where to post this but we sailed on the 12/29 Wonder 4 night New Years Cruise and Captain Henry and the magnificent Wonder staff gave us an outstanding New Years gift by returning to Castaway Cay for TWO days of fun. Yes, you've heard that right, we did CC twice (instead of the last day being at sea). Hats off to DCL for yet another magical cruise!!!

Now THAT'S the way to start off the new year!

I was on that cruise too. Great to get a second day!

However.... What we weren't told officially (we were told unofficially) that a virus (Norwalk?) was loose - despite the great measures they go through. So, to prevent a total outbreak (since that day was to be at sea, with everyone in close quarters) we spent the day on CC. Did you notice on board the last day the servers served at all of the buffets (even at the softdrink stand on deck 9)? They were trying to control the spread of the virus.

The extra day was great .. and a great way to keep us well.

wow that norwalk thing is scarey bet it happens a lot on cruise ships...

MrMike said:

However.... What we weren't told officially (we were told unofficially) that a virus (Norwalk?) was loose - despite the great measures they go through. So, to prevent a total outbreak (since that day was to be at sea, with everyone in close quarters) we spent the day on CC. Did you notice on board the last day the servers served at all of the buffets (even at the softdrink stand on deck 9)? They were trying to control the spread of the virus.

Hopefully no one will get sick. We had a great time too and thoroghly enjoyed our first 4 night cruise.

I wondered why the Palo brunch was served to us - I just thought it was slow since everyone went to CC for the day.

MrMike said:

Hopefully no one will get sick! We're all fine... We had a great time too and thoroughly enjoyed our first ever 4 night cruise. Until this cruise I thought nothing less than a 7 night would do, but we were delighted with the level of relaxation we got on the 4 night! Of course 3 trips to the Vista Spa helped too!

I wondered why the Palo brunch buffet was served to us - I just thought it was slow since everyone went to CC for the day.

We were on this cruise too. The 2nd day on CC was such a treat and a nice surprise. We had no idea there was a virus on board. Whatever the reason for the 2nd day, we thoroughly enjoyed it. I feel really sorry for anyone that was sick though.

We were impressed by the all of the hand santizer dispensers placed at the entrance to the ship, and also at every restaurant entrance. I usually carry it myself & use it often, but DCL made it so convenient I didn't need to carry mine. There is also now a sign on every stateroom's bathroom mirror about the importance of handwashing, with specific instructions. What can you do? Anywhere you go around a lot of people, there will be germs.

MrMike said:

Very interesting.... and quite stealthly done to avoid a bit of a panic. :Pinkbounc

We were there too. The cruise was teriffic and the second day at Castaway Cay was a wonderful New Years gift. DD got sick the last night of the cruise at 11pm - no advance warning at all. They had to page the on-call nurse twice for us that night and saw us early in the morning before leaving the ship

vavasmom sorry tohear aobut Dh...

At least you all got a chance to seee CC again....

We had fun both days on CC.

The medical staff said it would last about 12 hours and they were correct.

You would never know how sick she was - the biggest problem now is that we no sleep that night.

This type of thing happens no matter how careful you try to be.

She still wants to go on the 7 day western we have booked for 4/8 so I just purchased our airline tickets and am booking one hight at a hotel by the port.

Yup I got hit with the virus on Tuesday night after we got home. I was probably exposed right before getting off the ship :( Still feeling bad though...

Mom to ashely,
Sure hope by now you are feeling much better...thinking of you...

Yikes...Glad that y'all feel better now. We cruise this weekend, so if we stop at CC twice then I will know something's up! :earseek: LOL!

MomtoAshley said:
I am! Thank you! I felt better almost 24 hours after starting to feel bad. It was amazing!
Good glad to hear it....

Does anyone know the reason that cruise ships seem to be more vulnerable to outbreaks of this type? I'm guessing it has something to do with so many people in such a confined area....?

It was so fun to have the special treat. Unfortunately, we weren't able to take advantage of it!! We stayed on board because our kids were too tired from all the sun they got the day before. And although they enjoyed scuttles cove, they were not interested in two days of it!

We stayed on ship and watched the Narnia movie. And while on adult in our group watched kids (some sick) the rest of us went to that Palo Brunch.

I thought something must be up with the virus because of the service issue mentioned above.

fun to have a SEA day where half of the folks on the ship were at the beach!

I actually got sick when I got home from our last Wonder cruise. I was sick for about 24 hours, getting sick several times throughout that period. It sucked, but to be honest I was glad I was sick at home instead of on the cruise!

Kelly

MrMike said:
Did you notice on board the last day the servers served at all of the buffets (even at the softdrink stand on deck 9)? They were trying to control the spread of the virus.

We were on the cruise after this. They served us that way the entire time. Since it was my first Disney cruise I just thought this was the way they always did it. Although when we first arrived at port they told us (before we were even out of our car!) that someone had been sick on the cruise before us and that we would need to be sure and use all the hand sanitizers. I thought this was just their way of getting people to take it seriously!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter