Help with Naples - Med cruisers

Aussiechick

Earning My Ears
Ok, so my plans keep changing with this one and I have some questions for those who have already done this port.

We want to do Pompeii - do you have to hire a guide? Has anyone enjoyed it just as much without one?

Has anyone tried to do Pompeii and Positano using public transport? I looked into circumvesuviana(train) and SITA bus timetables but will we just be exhausted by the end?

I've got some quotes from drivers and they range from 400Euro to 550Euro for six of us - four adults, two children. Considering all we'd like to see - is it worth it just to bite the bullet and pay the cost of a private driver?

Alternatively, would we be just as happy doing Pompeii and Sorrento and saving the Amalfi Coast for the future - whenever that may be?!

We're on the May 26 Med so need to make a decision pretty soon fellow Dis'ers!

Hmm, last time I was in Naples was a few years ago. However form what I remember its only about a 2hr train ride to Pompeii. No guide needed, a guide book and the signage was suffecient for me and my friends. As for the rest of it? Pompeii can take up a whole day with ease. Did not get to see all of it and we were there several hours.

Isn't there an excursion that includes Pompeii?

Sorrento and Pompii are very easy to do on your own. The ship docks right near the the ferry to Sorrento. Since the stores close there in the afternoon it is best to go there first and walk around and have a nice lunch. Then take the train about half an hour to Pompii which is right across the street from the station. We used Rick Steves pompii guide and the guide booklet/map you get when you buy your ticket. We spent three houre there and really enjoyed taking our time. I find the guides you pay for give too much info and I am often ready to move on before they are through. After you finish at Pompii you take the train about another half hour back to Naples. If you're not ready to go back to the ship you can always take the metro to the archiological museum or walk back down the Spaccanapoli towards the ship.
Doing Poisitano on your own is not advisible from Naples. We did it when we had Sorrento as a port of call. It was Oct and the busses were so crowded in the afternoon we almost didn't get back in time and we had planned to take the 1:30 bus. Also we will be there on a Sunday so the Amalfi Coast will be crowded with Italians enjoying a Sunday outing.

We took the train to Pompeii and it was fine. It was a bit confusing knowing which train to catch, and make sure you get off at Pompeii Scavi. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is don't try to walk to the train station. In the Med guide that Disney provides it says the train station is a "5-10 minute walk" from the port. This is wrong wrong wrong! It took us about 45 minutes. We WERE exhausted by the time we got Pompeii! Thankfully we were able to catch a cab back from the train station to the port.

Otherwise it was easy as pie. We didn't need a guide, we were happy to just use the map and explore on our own. It is very hot in Pompeii and we needed to stop and rest often, I dislike guided tours because I want to explore at my own pace and not somebody else's. I'd say if you catch a bus or cab from the port to the train station you will be just fine doing Pompeii on your own.

I don't know anything about Sorrento or the Amalfi coast so I can't help you there.

Good luck!!!

We hired Marco with Marcllo Maresco, and it was wonderful. He was so knowledgeable, and took us everywhere we wanted (but we didn't make it to the archaeological museum, we ran out of time). It was great having a private vehicle, we could spend longer in a place or shorter, it was up to us! We also had great stops all along the way with amazing photo opportunities. We had a fantastic authentic Italian lunch in a farmhouse, and it was just a fabulous day. Yes, expensive, although we divided it among the 8 people that went, but it was worth EVERY PENNY.

We also hired a private guide in Pompeii because it was 100 Euro divided among 8, not much more than getting the headsets. It was great to have a guide because we saw all the "musts", but if you want to cut costs, you can just study a map of Pompeii and map out what you want to see. The amphitheather, the 27,000 square foot villa, and the main brothel are not to be missed.

Hope this helps! I wrote a lot more detail about our day in my trip report if you want to look at it, we went to Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Sorrento and Pompeii. Wonderful day.

Walking or taking a cab iis to take your life into your hands in "Traffic Laws? What Traffic Laws?" Naples. You can get run over crossing the street WITH THE LIGHT!

AussieChick, You can download the Rick Steves Pompeii guide for free from itunes. I've listened to a bit of it but want to save it for the real deal, it sounds very informative and is about 38 minutes long. Also, here is a link to his written walking guide of Pompeii: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/pompeiiwalk.htm Hope that helps!! Looking forward to seeing you on the cruise. Only 11 more days!!:thumbsup2

Wow - thanks everyone for the great information! You've definitely given me a clearer idea of what we can accomplish. Will let you know what we decide.

Dicecatt - I've been following your blog and it's been great! I'm going to go back and see what you wrote for Naples.

We didn't go to Pompeii, but did do the Amalfi Coast, almost all the way to Amalfi, with Marcello from seesorrento. He was great, knew a lot about the area and will do Pompeii, just not something we wanted to do. He has things he likes to show you, but will do whatever what you want.

I would highly recommend him, or his company and other drivers. We went with another family and had a great time on our 4/24 cruise. I was leery of the price, and wanted to DIY down the coast, and was so glad I didn't. It was a great, relaxing day, one of our best days.

Have a great trip.
Julie

Heidi - thanks for the Rick Steves link. That looks like a great DIY walk. I'll have a chat to my parents when they arrive and see what they'd prefer to do. I'm not sure whether time or money is the main issue here!

Hi there,

We stayed in Pompeii last May and I just wanted to give you the tip of all your party having shoes that can stand up to the demands of the ancient roads and paths of the the city. So many people turn up in sandals and heels that are basically silly, it's so easy to turn your ankle in the ancient stones. I cannot remember the name of the villa, although its at the top of the site, which itself is vast, but this villa is the most complete with good viewable wall art and most of the floors complete.

Positano is the most beautiful village I have ever seen and when asked by my wife where I wanted to live in the world I chose Positano.

Amalfi was nice, my daughter had a lovely swim in the sea with friends whilst my wife and I toured the town nice but not Positano.

Do not forget Herculaneum, I thought this was better than and more preserved than Pompeii. The Museum in Naples that houses many of the items taken from Pompeii was interesting although a bit of a trip if the ship is not docking there.

Another tip is sun screen, despite having stayed in Italy for a number of months over number of summers I was badly burnt on my scalp 2 weeks ago in Rome. What a sight I was.

Hi, I live in Naples and I would echo that Pompeii is not hard to get to from the port on the circumvesuviana train as is Sorrento. However, do not attempt to go to Positano on the bus from Sorrento, it will be very hard to do in one day. Walk around Sorrento and enjoy the shopping from there. If you have the $$ it would be wonderful to do a tour and include Positano with a guide. You don't really NEED a guide for Pompeii, it is certainly nice to have but the RS audio tour is definitely sufficient. You can spend as much or as little time in Pompeii as you like, usually I get tired of it after about 1.5-2 hours and I'm ready to move on. The Amalfi Coast is certainly one of the most beautiful places in all the world, and I think is worth seeing especially if you don't plan to come back soon. If you have a guide you can also try to fit in Ravello or another town on the coast.
Ciao!

nfowife,

We are planning on going to Sorrento for the day we dock in Naples. We can't decide between taking the ferry or the circumvesuviana train. :confused3 Do you have any recommendations? :flower3: We have already seen Pompeii but I want to see Ravello also - maybe, next time! Thanks!

Hi we got off ship and found it really difficult to get a taxi driver to take us to the train - all refused wanting day trips instead. However we did speak to one taxi driver who said he would take us to Pompeii and come back for us two hours later for 90 euros, he was very friendly and showed us sights on the way. Whilst in the car he offered to take us to Sorrento afterwards for another 60 euros - so all in all 150 euros - he also offered to take us round Naples onway back to ship for same price but we were all too tired and just went straight back. We had late lunch in Sorrento and just wandered about for 1 hour - it was beautiful driving there and driver stopped at various points for photos.

I think if we went again we would try and negotiate with taxi drivers again - seems a bit too much for the private excursions.

Lynne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter