Help!!! We are devastated

irene6118

Mouseketeer
My daughter was scheduled to start the Careerstart program Feb. 11th. Everything was ready to go: airfare, hotel, rental car and needless to say the anticipation of leaving in less than two weeks. Today she got a call from the recruiting office saying they had scheduled too many people for the Spring Career Start program and she would have to wait until May or August. Not only is it dissapointing not to be able to start in Feb. after waiting for this long, but it is too late to register for any college classes, so a whole semester is wasted. Does anybody have any advice on what to do? I called the recruiting office and they were very nice but nothing was resolved. I am feeling sick over the whole thing. Thanks

Oh no help but that is terribly upsetting - especially if you can't get her into classes at this point.

Liz

I would request a meeting with the dean of your dd college. A similiar thing happened to my son, not WDW related though, and he was allowed to enroll in classes as a fulltime student even though the classes had been two weeks in session. That was at a major University. If he was not enrolled fulltime in college he would be dropped from our Health & Dental insurance, his student loan would need payments, and he would lose his auto insurance disount.
Live Happens and your daughter's college staff does have the ability to waive requirements and allow for unusual circumstances. I would request an interview asap.

I have yet to get the call. I know a lot of my friends I've made have gotten the call sadly. I'm so upset. My hands are shaking. Me being optimistic is that I was one of the first to interview and two other people who had their interviews the same day as me have also yet to get the call.

This is truly disappointing! I to have booked car rental, hotel, my hopes are already given up on going in two weeks.

I'm so sorry this has happened.

I think some CPs were asked to do Fall instead of Spring but I can't confirm that.

This happened to my brother when he decided to do the Career Start Program. He ended up going and talking to the dean at his local community college.. I know I know, Community college doesnt sound that great, but he got started with school and did well and ended up transfering to Georgia Tech when he retured from Disney.

Like CookingMama said, i would go ahead and make an Interview with the dean of your college choice. It wouldnt help just to see what they say

I'm so sorry this has happened.

I think some CPs were asked to do Fall instead of Spring but I can't confirm that.

We were all given an email asking if we wanted to switch a couple of weeks ago. They stated it was because many students requested to be switched to Fall. Which obviously not the real case.

I can't believe this has happened. I'm thinking this might be a housing issue, maybe not enough rooms to house them all.

It's probably both factors either way. Should not have happened. When we paid our $100 fee we got a confirmation letter saying "This is your official confirmation that an apartment and position have been reserved for you,..."
They should have known how many students the were able to house and known how many students were coming. We can't officially say it is an economy issue because it is not what they're telling us.

This is a very bad thing they've done on their part!

to the OP:

see if the university has a "second session" class schedule and register for those it's shorter than a regular semester but your daughter can get some college credit in while waiting to do the program.

the thing that i have a question about... is if she takes college classes doesn't that mean she can no longer do career start but instead would have to do cp?

to the OP:

see if the university has a "second session" class schedule and register for those it's shorter than a regular semester but your daughter can get some college credit in while waiting to do the program.

the thing that i have a question about... is if she takes college classes doesn't that mean she can no longer do career start but instead would have to do cp?

You can enroll in CareerStart as long as your within your 48 months of graduating high school.

I think its probably an economy issue.

Liz

I don't think it would be an economy issue - if anything, the CS would help.

It seems like there was just an error in the system this year... what is strange, however, is that it seems like Disney is asking CP's if they would wait until next semester, and asking CS that they would need to reapply... am I correct on this?

I think its probably an economy issue.

Liz

I think the same thing. I feel badly for the College Program and Career Start students, who were ready to put their lives on hold for a few months to go work at WDW, but my opinion is that this is a part of the effort to not cut the jobs of frontline Cast Members. Disney gave buyout offers to just over 600 executives across the company last week--just over 300 in Orlando (read Sentinel article here). If voluntary separation doesn't work they'll likely move on to involuntary layoffs of frontline Cast Members, which would be really unfortunate.

Hopefully taking these measures--along with other measures to increase productivity--will ensure the viability of the company for a long time to come.

Doesn't make it any better for everybody without an internship, though...

That sucks, I hope something good comes out of this for you guys:guilty:

After the first couple of days of devastation, I'm totally fine, and even more excited! For me, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Going down in May, I'll be there longer than if I were to have gone next week. I get to be there for hurricane season! I love love love stormy weather, something I look forward to each year. Been in many tornados! I get to be there for Halloween, Christmas! Then many fun events Disney holds! I'm excited!!! Even though the wait is daunting, this has given me great patience I never thought I had and learning to find ways to occupy my mind!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter