Help! Need new windows! :-(

Minnie_me

DIS Veteran
I purchased this 100-year old house 3 years ago, and the realtor said it had "newer windows". Bullcrap. They *are* replacements from the originals, but I suspect they are at least 15-20 years old. The locks have rusted and fallen off, they're slipping from the top, they have condensation issues. I"ve been resigned to just live with those issues until yesterday when I opened my front picture window in the living room and it fell right off the track!

My neighbor, who is very handy, came over to fix it. He got it back on the track, but said that it won't be able to be opened anymore, because it has shrunken and doesn't fit the casing any longer. I desperately need that window to be able to be opened in the hot months!!!

So how does one pay for replacement windows??? I know they're super-expensive! Since I've only lived here for 3 years, I'm sure that I don't have enough equity in my house for a home equity loan. I have a small savings account for home repairs, but it's VERY small.

I"d appreciate any advice you budget-minded folks can give me!!

We replaced all the windows in our home a couple of years ago with Harvey windows. We've been very happy with them. We went with new construction windows because a lot of our sills were rotting out. It ended up being about $300 per window installed. My neighbor did his own. His frames/sills were all fine. He bought his windows at Home Depot and said they were pretty easy to install. I don't know what he paid for them, but I know I've seen them for about $150 per window, depending on what size you need.

First off you will need to check with the code enforcement officer in your town. You might only be able to replace with a certain type of window depending on what zone you are in. Then start getting bids from various contractors. Talk to family, friends, and neighbors to see who they have used in the past and were/weren't happy with. The cheapest price may not always be the best way to go. Contact any state or local programs that might come in and do a free energy audit of your home. If energy is being lost through these windows then you might be able to get a grant or low interest loan to help cover the cost of replacement.

I purchased this 100-year old house 3 years ago, and the realtor said it had "newer windows". Bullcrap. They *are* replacements from the originals, but I suspect they are at least 15-20 years old. The locks have rusted and fallen off, they're slipping from the top, they have condensation issues. I"ve been resigned to just live with those issues until yesterday when I opened my front picture window in the living room and it fell right off the track!

My neighbor, who is very handy, came over to fix it. He got it back on the track, but said that it won't be able to be opened anymore, because it has shrunken and doesn't fit the casing any longer. I desperately need that window to be able to be opened in the hot months!!!

So how does one pay for replacement windows??? I know they're super-expensive! Since I've only lived here for 3 years, I'm sure that I don't have enough equity in my house for a home equity loan. I have a small savings account for home repairs, but it's VERY small.

I"d appreciate any advice you budget-minded folks can give me!!

If you have someone who could help you put them in, after checking code they do make good quality vinyl replacement windows at Home Depot. We put one in and it does the job and is made by American craftsman, I do prefer the feel of the jeldwen vinyl windows though. At the time we were on a pretty trim budget and it was a huge improvement from the awning window that was there! Also, we take advantage of the no interest promotions they offer and pay it off prior to them expiring...

Check and see if there are any city/town/village revitalization programs in your area....you might find in your area that they are doing so and may be able to take part; or if you neighborhood might be next in line. This involves being in the right area and application paperwork.

You don't have to replace ALL the windows at once - if there are just a few that need immediate replacement, do what you can afford.

I had a post about three years ago about the same thing. We bought a newer (less than 15 years old) home, but the breeze blew right through!:eek:

Ours is a brick home and we replaced the aluminum windows with double pane vinyl. We did it all ourselves - and great friends with cool toys. (There is no way we could have done 4 of the upstairs windows without the cherry picker. :worship: )

We watched a lot of youtube videos - watching for homes and situations like ours - of how to replace them and off we went. The first day we got lucky and a friend that does this exact walked us through our first window.

It wasn't "hard", just required physical strength to remove the old one and time.

Good luck!

Window world $189 per window, installed. Did that in the house we're in now... in the house we just moved out of, we paid $$$ for Pella - didn't make a dent in the electric bill, used the cheaper ones here (lifetime warranty). Can't see a difference in the windows - and actually, I prefer the screens in the WW ones.

Don't buy into the hype that you need pricey windows - you really don't!

Window world $189 per window, installed. Did that in the house we're in now... in the house we just moved out of, we paid $$$ for Pella - didn't make a dent in the electric bill, used the cheaper ones here (lifetime warranty). Can't see a difference in the windows - and actually, I prefer the screens in the WW ones.

Don't buy into the hype that you need pricey windows - you really don't!

I couldn't agree more. We bought Pella windows about 2 1/2 years old and what junk they are. We paid $3000 for 4 windows and 3 casements. One of the windows leaks so bad I cry every time it rains and I have to keep ringing out towels it is literally like staying outside in the rain. The company had to come back 4 times and keep blaming it on something wrong with the house. We fixed everything they kept blaming it on and it still leaked. Finally, we were told to stop calling them they refused to fix it. It didn't matter that the old window never leaked either. We feel the window is warped and not the right size. Oh and to make matters worse we just noticed a week ago the leaking window has a crack all the way down the sided of the vinyl just outside the window. That was the most expensive picture window too. No way are Pella windows worth bothering with.

Oh and the window companies offer financing on windows but will put a lean on the house incase you sell it till it is paid off. You can also do a few at a time.

Do one window at a time. Chances are more than likely that your 100 year old home needs custom windows, which are pricey. My home was built in 1935 and we replaced all of ours a few years ago. Every single one was a custom size, unfortunately, which really racked up the price. We got Simonton windows through our contractor, they have been fantastic! Worth every dime in just what we saved in heating and electric costs :)

Have you checked with the manufacturer of the windows? My dual pane windows have a lifetime warranty on moisture appearing between the panes and on corrosion. But mine have aluminum frames, so corrosion will be less of an issue. I got moisture inbetween the panes and they came out, confirmed the problem, ordered the replacements, and came out a week later and put them in for free.

You don't have to replace ALL the windows at once - if there are just a few that need immediate replacement, do what you can afford.

I agree just do a few at a time. Last year we desperately needed a new kitchen and living room window so we did those. We paid $700 for both, the living room window is actually 2 large windows hooked together. This fall we are hoping to replace 2 more, which are fine but showing some wear.

Few things

1) Wallside is cheap and great windows. I am sure there are other companies similar in price, but I have replaced them at 3 homes now, and every time I ended with wallside and been SUPPPPPPPER happy with them. (current ones are probably 6/7 rs old and aside from dirty, all work great!) I think under 200$ a window installed. Do not pay 400$ - 600$ or 1,000$ a window.. it is all mark up, no matter what the sales person sells you.

2) I think they can finance, ask the sales person. We put down the cash we had saved and the balance on a credit card to be paid off within a few months.

3) You do not need to do them all at once, even if they sell.. same color crap, do only what you can afford. If that is 3 windows every 6 months so be it.. you will have new windows slowly and fix the worst ones 1st.

I would also recommend Window World if you have one in your area. We put 12 windows in our 100-year old home within the first year of buying it. We got lots of quotes (and really high pressure sales pitches!) but we chose Window World and they were great - quick, efficient, nice. Check if there are coupons online or in a coupon clipper as they advertise in ours. Can't really offer any more budget advice as we paid for the windows with the first time home owners credit offered by government when we bought our house.

We’d like to learn more about your concerns, so we can look into them, so please call Pella at 855-735-5232 with your contact information, and details about your products.-Erin F., Pella Community Manager

We’d like to learn more about your concerns, so we can look into them, so please call Pella at 855-735-5232 with your contact information, and details about your products. Thank you! -Erin F., Pella Community Manager

Wed like to learn more about your concerns, so we can look into them, so please call Pella at 855-735-5232 with your contact information, and details about your products. Thank you! -Erin F., Pella Community Manager

I have talked till I am blue in the face with Pella. I even wrote a complaint to your main office online along with pictures of the water pouring in during a rain storm and was assured someone would look into it and get back with me only to be blown off with nobody even attempting to get ahold of us. That was after being completely blown off by our local office previously after they sent out men to try and fix it about 4 times without any improvement and the last guy telling us it was useless there was nothing they could do unless I paid $700-$800 to Pella to replace the small upstairs window that was the last thing they blamed it on despite us cualking around that entire window as suggested despite that window not needing to be replaced and giving us no problems. I will try again but I am sure it will be more of the same. Who wants to invest almost a thousand dollars on a 36x18 inch window by a company that screwed up the window below it and can't fix it. I do not need to be soaking up towels of water on both levels. I am sure a new guy would blame it on something else other than the window that was put in by Pella. I will call within the next week.

Thank you so much for all of the great advice and recommendations!

I have found a Window World in my area, and will call them tomorrow.

I have also decided to replace only 4 windows at this time: the two in the living room, and my girls' bedroom windows.

Do one window at a time. Chances are more than likely that your 100 year old home needs custom windows, which are pricey. My home was built in 1935 and we replaced all of ours a few years ago. Every single one was a custom size, unfortunately, which really racked up the price. We got Simonton windows through our contractor, they have been fantastic! Worth every dime in just what we saved in heating and electric costs :)

I agree with these (and am glad to see you are going to look into it, op).
Enjoy your new windows!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter