• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me get 6 kids to Disneyland!

Apologies, either way though it does look like we may skip universal for another day at disney. Knotts is the harder sell since most of the kids think they will want to handle big rides.

I think the 3rd day will help a lot. You can always add more if you choose to when you are there. I would still have the kids make list of their priorities so you can make the most of your time. I personally recommend the Aladdin show in DCA.

Apologies, either way though it does look like we may skip universal for another day at disney. Knotts is the harder sell since most of the kids think they will want to handle big rides.
I would skip Universal since there isn't much for the kids. I do know Knott's would be fun

I would recommend trying to budget in some Fast Lane passes at Knotts if you can swing it. It will make your visit there much more enjoyable. And be aware that Ghostrider is an old woodie and can be a pretty brutal ride. Try to sit towards the front, the back seats will hammer you even more. Try to ride "with your legs" - brace your feet against the front of the car if possible and push back into your seat and use your legs as shock absorbers, especially if you have any back problems. You'll thank me once you try it and hit the first jack hammer drop!

Have fun!!

One thing I have never been able to do at and really want to do this time is rope drop. How early before the park opens should I get there so we can see the ceremony and be semi close to front of the line?

I would recommend trying to budget in some Fast Lane passes at Knotts if you can swing it. It will make your visit there much more enjoyable. And be aware that Ghostrider is an old woodie and can be a pretty brutal ride. Try to sit towards the front, the back seats will hammer you even more. Try to ride "with your legs" - brace your feet against the front of the car if possible and push back into your seat and use your legs as shock absorbers, especially if you have any back problems. You'll thank me once you try it and hit the first jack hammer drop!

Have fun!!

Thanks for the tip.

One thing I have never been able to do at and really want to do this time is rope drop. How early before the park opens should I get there so we can see the ceremony and be semi close to front of the line?

I usually go with 45 min early to DCA (They start letting folks through at 30 min early) and 30 min early at DL. However I am just there for the good position in lines etc... As far as I know DL has a ceremony of sorts but DCA does not. To be chosen as the family I think folks get to DL earlier...

Make sure to look into FP and riderswap. FP allows you to ride rides with less waiting and rider swap allows one adult to ride while the other waits with the kids and another ride with two kids later. This only works if one child is too short for the ride. Say you have 7 FP then you could:

1 person uses FP and gets a rider swap card.
adult and two children use rider swap.
Repeat...

It allows families with small kids to enjoy attractions without waiting in line twice...

I'm hoping prices don't change for flying. I will have 102,000 SW points at the end of this billing cycle and we have the trip coming up in June. Right now the plan is to drive from Nebraska (6 of us). flying comes out to $1596.00 or 84,000 points. If I can cover all our tickets flying that's what we will do and not have to drive. I just hope prices don't change from here to the cycle end date!

Make sure to look into FP and riderswap. FP allows you to ride rides with less waiting and rider swap allows one adult to ride while the other waits with the kids and another ride with two kids later. This only works if one child is too short for the ride. Say you have 7 FP then you could:

1 person uses FP and gets a rider swap card.
adult and two children use rider swap.
Repeat...

It allows families with small kids to enjoy attractions without waiting in line twice...

This is what I was actually looking into. Do the kids and the parent who wait to get on the ride wait in the line or the entrance of the ride?

I'm hoping prices don't change for flying. I will have 102,000 SW points at the end of this billing cycle and we have the trip coming up in June. Right now the plan is to drive from Nebraska (6 of us). flying comes out to $1596.00 or 84,000 points. If I can cover all our tickets flying that's what we will do and not have to drive. I just hope prices don't change from here to the cycle end date!
If you book on points and cancel you get your points back. You might want to get as many flights as you can on points now, because even if the price goes down you can rebook.

Your "name" on here is NavyDad - are you prior service as well?? If so, contact your local base/post and see what discounts you can get on tickets through Leisure and Travel - They have the Armed Forces Tickets for super cheep and they may have tickets for Knotts as well.

Good Luck!

This is what I was actually looking into. Do the kids and the parent who wait to get on the ride wait in the line or the entrance of the ride?

They can wait anywhere... You meet up with them after riding and then swap...

Just another idea: Instead of Taste Pilots Grill, try White Water Snacks. We use the GC entrance/exit and go to White Water Snacks. It is a little more quiet and not as busy. We like to get a table outside. It is a way of relaxing and re-grouping for us.

I also would skip Universal and add another Disney day. Three days would be about right, however, that is just my opinion.

Another good way to save a little bit is to purchase gift cards from Raise.com at a discount. The discounts vary, so you will have to keep an eye on them, but you can same some that way. You can also purchase Disney gift cards at Target with your Red Card and save 5% that way.

Another idea to throw out there... Check into Disney Youth Education Series. The group session require 10 students. The ticket prices are greatly discounted and from what I have seen, the classes are amazing. You would have to find some more people to join you so you could be a group, but it may be worth a shot.

Here is the pricing from their site.
http://www.disneyyouth.com/our-prog...tegories-youth-education-series,locations-DLR

PRICING OPTIONS
2015 Pricing

1-Day Ticket to Disneyland® Park or Disney California Adventure® Park
1-Day Value Price
69.00*
1-Day
79.00*

Park Hopper® Ticket Packages
1-Day Value Price
$93.00*
1-Day
$103.00*
2-Day
$148.00*
3-Day
$165.00*
4-Day
$197.00*
5-Day
$208.00*
* Price includes tax. Value pricing available on specific dates only. Ticket expires 13 days after first use, and each day the ticket is used constitutes one full day. One complimentary chaperone ticket will be issued for every 10 paid students. One complimentary teacher ticket will be issued for every 30 paid students. Tickets for additional guests include park admission only. Additional guests will not be permitted to accompany the group on the Disney Youth Education Series program. Additional educational programs are $40.00 for multi-day tickets.
Less Info

I notice your screenname is NavyDad. Are you eligble for Disney's military salute tickets?

You are already skipping lodging which is a huge money saver, but if I were you, I'd look at park tickets next. Universal 1 Day $95 and Knotts 1 Day is $95. Compare that to the difference between a DLR 2 day PH ($225), a 3 day PH is ($275). Even better if you are eligible for the DLR Military Salute ($132). I think the difference between 3 total days at a theme park and 4 total days is minimal. I'm sure the kids will have a better time hanging out at your brother's place or "free-er" entertainment, like the beach. Plus, the LA area has an immense amount of other tourist attractions, from walking through Hollywood to going to any of the amazing museums.

Last edited:
also check getaway today.com I know some times they are cheaper then other places. You can get tickets on layaway and pay off a bit at a time and I also highly suggest 3+ park hoppers (4 and 5 days are better)
Good luck and you are so nice to do this for your whole family.

Unfortantly I cant get the military discount

You guys are really making me think on the park hopper option. Can you guys just explain how it would benefit vs going 1 whole day at each?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter