Help me get 6 kids to Disneyland!

NavyDad01

Mouseketeer
Budget $3,500 (not including plane tickets)

So originally when I posted in this section it was to get advice on planning our DL trip. The original plan was to stay at an onsite hotel for maybe four or 5 days and visit both parks along with Universal. My wife and I have family out in California since this is where we grew up. We moved to Omaha 7 years ago with some of her family and have loved it out here since.

This weekend my nephew an niece from my sisters side were at the house watching my kids plan our trip and their eyes lit up. They have never been to Cali since we moved out here when they were really small and have always dreamed of going. the littlest one that is 8 said "I always look at rides on Youtube I don't think we are ever going to go since mom and dad are not together" (their parents are 6 months in to a divorce).

Later that night I was talking to my brother who is in California to get the date that his kids were out of school since we were originally planning on taking his kids one day to disneyland. His kids have never been anywhere either basically because my brother don't have the money to go.

Talking to my wife late Saturday night she was telling me how our past trips to WDW were great. She remembers the best trip was our second trip which was taking my parents for the first time and seeing their faces experiencing everything. She then says "wouldn't it be nice to take all the kids?" I replied "why don't we?"

I proposed we give up the resort and everyday at disney and we take not only her niece and nephew here but the ones in California too! My daughter and her said yes quicker than I can think twice about what I just said.

Thats were I need you guys to help me. Any insider tips or techniques to deal with all the kids maybe to save some money? We are having to move the trip to June 12-21st.

The cast will be

ME
Wife
Daughter 10
Daughter 2 ---First timer

Niece 12 -First timer
Nephew 8 - First timer

Niece and nephew from California 12 and 10. - First timers

Ideal schedule

June 12 - Arrival in the night
June 13- relax with family
June 14- Beach (all kids will be with us plus 4 extra adults which beach hasn't been decided)
June 15 - DCA (all kids will be with me except the baby no extra adults)
June 16 - rest
June 17 - Disneyland (all kids will be with me)
June 18 - rest
June 19 Knotts berry farm (all kids will be with me)
June 29 Maybe Universal -maybe, kids dont seem that interested except for the little one that loves dinos
June 30th ---go home.

Cost so far

Knotts - $235.00 all tickets
Disney both days -$1250.00
Universal - $600

$2085.00
$1500.00 for food.

My brother is going to let us use his SUV that sits 8 so we are good there. We plan on cooking at his house on off days to conserve money.

Thanks for anyones input

I have four kids (now young adults) and we went when they were younger and money was tighter.

It sounds like you will be staying with family and have no need for a hotel?

Here is a link to mousesavers which may give you some ideas www.mousesavers.com. Sign up for their newsletter and you can find even better prices. Not hugely better but better. Maybe save some on park tickets.

If your biggest expense is food (after tickets) then that is where to focus. Eat breakfast at home or in the SUV. Fruit. Bagels. Granolas. Etc.

Bring lunch / sandwiches. Put them in a DL or DCA locker along with some ice to keep things cool. $11. They will not let you bring coolers in through security but sandwiches and chips are OK albeit technically against the rules. You have the option of leaving food in your car but that will burn a lot of time getting back and forth to the car. So use a locker for $11.

Eat dinner at one of the many good and (relatively) inexpensive places at DLR. At DCA I would suggest Flo's V-8 Diner. Eight people will cost you $150 maybe less. At DL do Plaza Inn or Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. Another $150 maybe less. So $300 for food plus what you make or bring from home. That will be maybe another $100 for breakfast and sandwiches from home.

June 15 - A day trip to DCA. This is a Monday. Visit DCA on a Saturday, Tuesday or Thursday. Those days DCA does NOT have Extra Magic Hours in the morning (DL does) and you will be on equal footing with all other guests. Do not visit DCA on Monday, June 15.

June 17 - A day trip to DL. This is a Wednesday. Visit DL on a Sunday, Monday, Wednesday or Friday. Those days DL does NOT have Extra Magic Hours in the morning (DCA does) and you will be on equal footing with all other guests. Visiting DL on Wednesday, June 17 is fine in this regard. However, read on.

For more info see "Early Admission (MM/EMH/APEE) Super Thread" by DLR29 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1675403

Grad nights. These will impact DL and DCA.

See "The Scoop on Grad Nights at DLR in May and June" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400.

June 17 is a grad night. See previous link. I would not visit DL or DCA June 17 if you can change it.

If I were you I would visit DCA on June 16 Tuesday (no grad night and no DCA EMH) and DL on June 19 Friday (no grad night and no DL EMH). All else being equal.

Have a great trip with those kids!

:wizard:

What a wonderful thing you are doing!

Not a DL expert here, but I do want to mention that I'd check height restrictions for Knotts. The kiddie rides are just that, pretty kiddie and the big roller costers may have some higher height restrictions. Your group MAY fall in the middle, which may make you think twice about going. Its a great park, but if they can't make height, you're probably better off spending an extra day at DL (which adding a 3rd day will likely be cheaper than tickets to knotts anyway)

Same with Universal. I know my DD is 7 and still not interested in what they have to offer. We haven't attempted Universal yet.

pack sandwiches and snacks so you only have to buy one meal per person each day.. at counter service they wont know if you have a toddler or child..so if you have a small eater you can go for the smaller meals. and you can share.
I use a website called wildatwork to buy my tickets.. works out about $27. cheaper per ticket.. you will pay a service fee , but saving every penny counts ,yes?
buy smaller souvenirs at home and bring them with you.. Michaels and dollar store have lots of Disney merch... if you have a die hard princess and want a dress.. buy from Disney.com.. they always have sales or free shipping.
we take our own water bottles.. and just refill as we go. and take crystal lite, or the like .
snacks will eat into your budget.. so make sure you take plenty of those.. we take glow sticks from home too... dollar store you can get packs of 5 sticks.. and let the kids wear them. saves a ton of money that way..
if you want photos... buy the photo plus pass. at $69. 14 before trip. or $99. on the day.. but you will get a ton of photos already paid for.. :)
Im sure other people will chime in with some ideas.
We have yet to do Universal , but I with 6 kids.. and only I little wanting to do Disney. I would buy a three day Disney pass..
I see U/S as a park for older kids, and if they aren't interested then there is little point in going... my sister and I did it years ago.. and Im sure there are newer rides and improvements etc.. but if no one is interested its a lot of money ... just my 2 cents

Have a great time.

Not a DL expert here, but I do want to mention that I'd check height restrictions for Knotts. The kiddie rides are just that, pretty kiddie and the big roller costers may have some higher height restrictions. Your group MAY fall in the middle, which may make you think twice about going. Its a great park, but if they can't make height, you're probably better off spending an extra day at DL (which adding a 3rd day will likely be cheaper than tickets to knotts anyway)

Same with Universal. I know my DD is 7 and still not interested in what they have to offer. We haven't attempted Universal yet.

We did Knotts last year.. and will be doing it again in April... they have just re opened Camp Snoopy .. which is a wonder area for the smaller kids... my son was 8 when he first went to Knotts and he was ok on the bigger rides.. but saying that he is on the taller side... and he enjoyed camp Snoopy too... :) :)

I have four kids (now young adults) and we went when they were younger and money was tighter.

Yes we will be staying with my brother.

Here is a link to mousesavers which may give you some ideas www.mousesavers.com. Sign up for their newsletter and you can find even better prices. Not hugely better but better. Maybe save some on park tickets.

DONE! Although I here there are not many discounts on park tickets

If your biggest expense is food (after tickets) then that is where to focus. Eat breakfast at home or in the SUV. Fruit. Bagels. Granolas. Etc.

Bring lunch / sandwiches. Put them in a DL or DCA locker along with some ice to keep things cool. $11. They will not let you bring coolers in through security but sandwiches and chips are OK albeit technically against the rules. You have the option of leaving food in your car but that will burn a lot of time getting back and forth to the car. So use a locker for $11.

Eat dinner at one of the many good and (relatively) inexpensive places at DLR. At DCA I would suggest Flo's V-8 Diner. Eight people will cost you $150 maybe less. At DL do Plaza Inn or Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. Another $150 maybe less. So $300 for food plus what you make or bring from home. That will be maybe another $100 for breakfast and sandwiches from home.

June 15 - A day trip to DCA. This is a Monday. Visit DCA on a Saturday, Tuesday or Thursday. Those days DCA does NOT have Extra Magic Hours in the morning (DL does) and you will be on equal footing with all other guests. Do not visit DCA on Monday, June 15.

June 17 - A day trip to DL. This is a Wednesday. Visit DL on a Sunday, Monday, Wednesday or Friday. Those days DL does NOT have Extra Magic Hours in the morning (DCA does) and you will be on equal footing with all other guests. Visiting DL on Wednesday, June 17 is fine in this regard. However, read on.

For more info see "Early Admission (MM/EMH/APEE) Super Thread" by DLR29 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1675403

See "The Scoop on Grad Nights at DLR in May and June" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400.

June 17 is a grad night. See previous link. I would not visit DL or DCA June 17 if you can change it.

If I were you I would visit DCA on June 16 Tuesday (no grad night and no DCA EMH) and DL on June 19 Friday (no grad night and no DL EMH). All else being equal.

Thanks, for the tips on dates and yes I can change parks to other days if I need to and I will read up on them

We checked hight's yesterday and they all seem tall enough to get on some of the bigger rides with the exception of the 8 year old. They are all acting brave that they are ready for roller coasters we will see..

The 8 year old is 51 inches with shoes he is hoping to get to 52 inches by June.

Thanks for the tips!

pack sandwiches and snacks so you only have to buy one meal per person each day.. at counter service they wont know if you have a toddler or child..so if you have a small eater you can go for the smaller meals. and you can share.
I use a website called wildatwork to buy my tickets.. works out about $27. cheaper per ticket.. you will pay a service fee , but saving every penny counts ,yes?
buy smaller souvenirs at home and bring them with you.. Michaels and dollar store have lots of Disney merch... if you have a die hard princess and want a dress.. buy from Disney.com.. they always have sales or free shipping.
we take our own water bottles.. and just refill as we go. and take crystal lite, or the like .
snacks will eat into your budget.. so make sure you take plenty of those.. we take glow sticks from home too... dollar store you can get packs of 5 sticks.. and let the kids wear them. saves a ton of money that way..
if you want photos... buy the photo plus pass. at $69. 14 before trip. or $99. on the day.. but you will get a ton of photos already paid for.. :)
We have yet to do Universal , but I with 6 kids.. and only I little wanting to do Disney. I would buy a three day Disney pass..
I see U/S as a park for older kids, and if they aren't interested then there is little point in going... my sister and I did it years ago.. and Im sure there are newer rides and improvements etc.. but if no one is interested its a lot of money ... just my 2 cents

Have a great time.

The thought about an extra day at disney may be beneficial instead of Universal. Also thanks for reminding me photpass. The wife is really going to want that.

Have a great time.

The wildatwork looked promising, but it wont let me access the site says I need to work for a certain company

If you want to do 3 days at Disney and Sea World instead of Knotts, look at the So Cal CityPass.

Have a great time.

Using the webiste you suggested it comes to

$1,164.00 for 2 day 1 park passes. (which saves me about $100 which is one meal) I appreciate that because every little counts.

If I take them 3 days to disney and skip Universal its

$1439.00 for 3 days and 1 EMH
$235.00 Knotts

its $1674 vs $2085.00 ($400.00 savings)

So much to think about!

I would skip Universal too. Also, I love the photopass and if you like getting ride photos I think it is a great value even more. The only thing is, with only 2 days you may not get a lot of pictures (especially since 1 day in each park, there will be a lot to do and you may not stop for pictures as much as you would otherwise). I would just think about if the photopass with be worth it. For me, I love ride photos so I have purchased it anytime we go for more than 3 days.

Will you be driving and parking both days at the park? If so, having one of the other adults pick you up and drop you off each day would save $17 a day.

I have an AP but my extended family buys their tickets on way.com and it always comes out much cheaper.

Also, make a general plan of what priority rides are for everyone. It will be hard to fit a whole park into a day so having a good plan will give you more time.

Share meals whenever you can. My 5'1 9 year old son rarely finishes all his food.

I personally would also skip Knott's but that is because I think Disney is much more fun. That's really a personal preference.

Hope you have fun!

If there was any way to squeeze your budget to allow - if you're going to do more than two days at the parks, I strongly suggest adding the park-hopping option. That way, the third day can be spent going between both parks visiting attractions you may have missed out on or getting one last ride in. Also, it gives you more flexibility on your DCA day, if you get bored at that park and want to get a head start on DLR.

Plus, with six kids I can't imagine coming to a consensus on what to do will be easy. Park-hopping allows you that flexibility to make the masses happy.

As far as food goes, eat breakfast in the car on the way to the park. Pack Lunchables and chips in a cooler to leave in a locker and eat at your convenience. YOU pick out where the group will be eating dinner - Disneyland.com has prices on all their menus. That way, you can know what you're looking at spending and where the whole group will be eating. Because, again, I can't imagine a group this large with this age group (especially that won't be putting the research in on food as much as they will be on rides) that coming to a consensus will be easy. And it can always be something simple - like the group staking out a spot for WoC and you bring back a slew of corn dogs and chips from Corn Dog Castle.

Ahead of time, you could make up "coupons" good for one item only - like good for ONE snack during your trip (ice cream bar, Dole Whip or something), one soft drink, etc. That way, you've already budgeted up front what you're going to spend on those items AND the kids know that that's it once the coupon is gone. You'd be surprised at how stingy they will be with them! :D

Bring things for character autographs from home - you can find Disney-themed notebooks, etc., at the Dollar Tree, etc. But that will also make for an awesome souvenir when you add in that they can use the pictures from Memory Maker to add in like a scrapbook if they are so inclined.

Pressed pennies also make a fun "souvenir" and scavenger hunt while you're there.

I would consider doing all 4 days at Disneyland. We go each year for approx. one week and typically only go to Disney and skip the other places. I don't feel they are as good as Disney and for first time visitors you won't be bored with anything in 4 days.

The tickets for Universal and Knotts cost a total of $835. If you upgrade from 2 day to 4 day passes it will cost ~$525 so you will save over $300 and gain an early morning. Also if you don't mind spending the money, for $280 you could buy the park hopper option for all 7 tickets and break even with the cost of the other parks.

To save in the park we always carry a backpack (you will probably need at least two of them) and we take apples and bananas along with water bottles and snacks like nuts or granola bars. There are many fountains to fill water bottles, or you can go to any counter service window and they will give you free cups of ice water.

You could also leave the park around dinner time and head across the street to Denny's, IHOP or McD for a less expensive meal that your kids will probably enjoy. There are also some mini marts over their to top up on snacks. Then return to the park for the magical evening hours when everything is lit up.

Good luck, sounds like a challenging trip but it should be a blast with that many first timer kids.

I'm another vote for 4 days at disney, or at the very least wait until you are there to buy the tickets to knotts or universal. You can always upgrade your park tickets once you are there if the kids want more disney time. Our kids are small and don't know about the other parks yet so we just do 5 days at disney, this year will be 5 + a Halloween party so 6 days. We will have 4 kids this trip and trying to get everyone's must dos in Wouldnt be easy if we only had a couple of days.

Thought on changing Disneyland to Sunday?

Universal Studios I feel is for older kids. There really isn't much for your age group.

If you really have to do Knott's Berry Farm, go there before you go to Disneyland. I had been to Knott's many times and it really wasn't for me, I'm Disney all the way. My grandkids kept wanting to go to Knott's. On our Disney trip when they were 13 and 10, I added a day at Knott's. After 2.5 hours they were asking to go back to Disneyland. They wanted to try Knott's again when they were 19 and 16. Since we were in SoCal for a full week, I bought tickets. Again, they said Disney is the place to be. We were there for about 4 or 5 hours this time. Kids....... Show your AAA membership card and save 30% on Knott’s Berry Farm Regular admission tickets

I'm going to be in the parks later this week. Would you like me to get you some park maps? If you message me your address I'd be happy to mail them to you.

I wish you well with your planning.

Geemo

Last edited:
AAA lncludes free parking with purchase of mutl-day tickets, so it might be worthwhile to purchase 1 set of tickets from them to save the parking fee ($17/day). If you decide to bring in sandwiches (already made is fine, but not a loaf of bread and fixings), use frozen water bottles to keep things cool. That way you will have those water bottles for later. Disney gift cards for the kids with a set amount for souvenirs and snacks work well to limit requests at every shop and cart. The kids really have to think about what they want and when. When the card is empty, no more buying. Share meals when possible. Plaza Inn is a good place for this. The chicken dinners are generously portioned. Have a great trip!

I would also recommend forgoing Universal and Knotts for a 4 day Park Hopper. I can tell you with 4 of my own it is slow going (between bathroom breaks, character meets, etc) and everyone has different ideas of what there favorite rides/shows/parades are to see and do. I think you could have a more fun, relaxed time by just doing Disney.

Have a magical time!

Universal Studios I feel is for older kids. There really isn't much for your age group.

If you really have to do Knott's Berry Farm, go there before you go to Disneyland. I had been to Knott's many times and it really wasn't for me, I'm Disney all the way. My grandkids kept wanting to go to Knott's. On our Disney trip when they were 13 and 10, I added a day at Knott's. After 2.5 hours they were asking to go back to Disneyland. They wanted to try Knott's again when they were 19 and 16. Since we were in SoCal for a full week, I bought tickets. Again, they said Disney is the place to be. We were there for about 4 or 5 hours this time. Kids....... Show your AAA membership card and save 30% on Knott’s Berry Farm Regular admission tickets

I'm going to be in the parks later this week. Would you like me to get you some park maps? If you message me your address I'd be happy to mail them to you.

I wish you well with your planning.

Geemo

The only reason I would go knotts last is because I would want to gauge how brave these kids are before going to Knotts. Most of them are claiming that they will get on everything. I don't want to go there first and find out they are all chickens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter