HELP! Going to COURT tomorrow. Need ideas for excuse to get out of speeding ticket!

pw2pp

DIS Veteran
Have you ever gone to court to get out of a speeding ticket?
I got a ticket on my way to work one morning at 5:30 am (at that time there is NOBODY on the road, so I wasn't endangering any lives).
I got stopped and the cop actually GAVE me the ticket, despite the fact that I had my Nurse's uniform on (they don't usually give Nurses tickets).
Anyway, the cop said to me "If you go to court, I will not argue it" - Huh?? Then why the heck he even gave me the ticket is beyond me!

So, I opted to go to court, and tomorrow is THE day, and I don't know what to say or how to explain it.
ANY IDEAS?
Thanks

First things first -- if he doesn't show to contest it, you can simply ask for proof (e.g. the radar detector report) that you were speeding. If he's not there, he can't fight it.

Much of the 'punishment', or that which will help you to slow down in the future, (I know it does makes me think), is the time you need to take out of your day, the inconvenience, and usually the monetary fine, and sometimes driver school. Not sure how it is in MI, but that is the way they do it here in Chicago.

The judge may explain ahead of the court session, that all those who want to plead (and they have the records of everyone, so repeat offenders are not part of this), I think it is like 'no contest', are allowed to pay a fine, maybe go to traffic school (again, another inconvenience to make you think) and not have the violation 'on their record', provided no repeat in next 6 or possibly 12 months. That is what they do here and I think many places, especially where volume is huge. They are just trying to make the non repeat type offender think a bit as they start to get a bit too fast the next time. It does seem to work.

Good luck.

DH got a ticket for moving from one lane to another without signaling. (Never even heard of this violation!) The cop told him he wouldn't fight it either if he went to court. We really didn't want the points on our car insurance.

We went to the night court, saw the cop, he talked to the prosecutor, and DH pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, I forget what. He had to pay court fees (about $150) but no points, which in NJ would translate into $1500 for each of three years.

Also, the cop WILL show up in court. They get paid overtime for it; probably one of the reasons they write out some of the unneccesary tickets.

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

Sorry, but if you were speeding you deserved the ticket.
It may have been 5:30 in the morning and "nobody else was on the road" but you WERE endangering a life, YOUR OWN!!
What if you hit a deer, or a dog, and lost control of your vehicle?Maybe if you have to pay for the ticket you'll slow down.

Wow, I gotta get me a nurse's uniform...never know when I might be running late:D

hmm I don't know. My DH just finished defensive driving which he decided to take over the internet in order to avoid having to give up a Saturday afternoon to attend the class.

He then decided he didn't have time to do it over the internet and tried to get me to do it for him. When that didn't work, he tried to pay our son $5.......apparently $5 doesn't mean that much to 12yo boys anymore and poor DH was stuck doing his own work.

In the end I think he only had to pay about $100 for the ticket and got no points. The class only took him a couple of hours to complete -- a pretty good deal considering he was guilty.

I got out of mine. I just went in, admitted to speeding and asking the judge for mercy on the points. (which means nothing hits your insurance) She took the points away and I got half of my fine money back.

Slowed me down!

okay let's try that again! I don't know where you are in Mi., but Dh and I have both "gotten out" out tickets here before. If you have no other altercations on your driving record a judge will/can offer you (or you can ask for) a driving probation, I believe the judge called it being under advisement. As long as you don't get a ticket in 6 months/ a year this ticket will disappear and not go to the insurance company. Also, I had a bit of a leadfoot in my younger years, I always went to court to fight the tickets. 9 times out of ten the y will just charge you the court fees. Good luck!

I just wanted to say good luck! When I got my one and only ticket 2yrs ago I paid one of those "Traffic Law Centers" to handle it. I'd be too chicken to do it myself I think.

Thanks for all the great replies. I am going to work now and will check back in late tonight.

You might ask for community service if they won't reduce the ticket or let you off with a lesser charge that has a fine but no points. I know a kid who worked at the Habitat for Humanity store and others who did filing at the station or cleaned the horse stalls at the police stable. Better than a hefty hike in the insurance premium.

An older lady gets pulled over for speeding...

Older Woman: Is there a problem, Officer?

Officer: Ma'am, you were speeding.

Older Woman: Oh, I see.

Officer: Can I see your license please?

Older Woman: I'd give it to you but I don't have one.

Officer: Don't have one?

Older Woman: Lost it, 4 years ago for drunk driving.

Officer: I see...Can I see your vehicle registration papers please.

Older Woman: I can't do that.

Officer: Why not?

Older Woman: I stole this car.

Officer: Stole it?

Older Woman: Yes, and I killed and hacked up the owner.

Officer: You what?

Older Woman: His body parts are in plastic bags in the trunk if you want to see.

The Officer looks at the woman and slowly backs away to his car and calls for back up. Within minutes 5 police cars circle the car. A senior officer slowly approaches the car, clasping his half! drawn gun.

Officer 2: Ma'am, could you step out of your vehicle please! The woman steps out of her vehicle.

Older woman: Is there a problem sir?

Officer 2: One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the owner.

Older Woman: Murdered the owner?

Officer 2: Yes, could you please open the trunk of your car, please.

The woman opens the trunk, revealing nothing but an empty trunk.

Officer 2: Is this your car, ma'am?

Older Woman: Yes, here are the registration papers. The officer is quite stunned.

Officer 2: One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving license.

The woman digs into her handbag and pulls out a clutch purse and hands it to the officer.

The officer examines the license. He looks quite puzzled.

Officer 2: Thank you ma'am, one of my officers told me you didn't have a license, that you stole this car, and that you murdered and hacked up the owner.

Older Woman: Bet the liar told you I was speeding, too.

I'd observe the judge & his response to other parties first. Last time I went to traffic court was for an accident. Totally my fault, I pulled out and T-boned another car. The glare from the sun on the snow had momentarily blinded me - I should have waited but didn't.... THis judge was an absolute jerk. He challanged every excuse. He was clearly a bigot. If you weren't white, you weren't getting anything reduced. (I am white & it was obvious to me.) Won't go into my thoughts on that man. He did remove my points but I ended up with the full fine, plus court costs. He was really tough on a kid whose mother spoke on his behalf. The boy had an accident test driving a used vehicle, they blamed it on the weather & the bad tires on the vehicle. Judge said tough. Kid should have known what better than to get into an unsafe vehicle & the lectured the mother for speaking up for her son. (He was 18).
One officer issued tickets to people who followed him. He was speading on the interstate & anyone who kept pace with him, received a ticket. Judge upheld these tickets too.:eek:

I once went with a coworker to traffic court for moral support. The judge called up large groups of names and dismissed the cases. Reason?? Officers who wrote the various tickets didn't show. If the officer told you he wouldn't fight the ticket then go to court. Maybe the officer felt that the time you would spend going to court was punishment enough. Good luck!

I don't know what advice to give - whenever I've gotten a speeding ticket, (numerous times), I've always just paid them. My insurance never went up, but that's because I didn't switch companies. A friend of mine that works for Allstate told me that they don't normally check points unless you are trying to buy new insurance.

One of my classmates was leaving school during our last few finals and got a ticket.
My school is on top of a hill so there is a long curving driveway to get down to the main road.
There was a cop parked way back in the woods on a road parallel to our school's driveway because they were doing work on the power lines back there.
Well my classmate burned out of the driveway and sped down the main road which really isn't very main because there is rarely any traffic except for school traffic.The police officer never made himself known to my classmate but instead went up to the school and asked the office who at the school drove a white mustang.
the school TOLD the cop who it was and they traced down his information and sent him a ticket.
he now has to go to court for an RMV hearing because of it but luckily they cannot prove he was driving since they never saw him but only the car.

I think it was absolutely horrible that the school gave out the information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter