Help for a newbie!

Bay Max

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking of going on a Disney Cruise next year. I've never really been on a cruise before and the thought of it kinda makes me nervous. For one thing, the idea of being stuck on a boat for a few days is bothering me. I'm also concerned about getting sea sick and having it ruin my vacation.

Has anyone else had these concerns before cruising? How did it go for you?

I was concerned about sea sickness. I get very car sick and I can't even look at amusement park rides. I cruised many years ago and used the patch. It made my mouth dry and I couldn't drink alcohol. Dramamine makes me sleepy. A friend of mine who has a small sailboat that we were going on in the Atlantic Ocean out of NJ ( very rough wAters) bought me seabands to go on his boat. I was fine! I have been using them for cruising ever since. I even gave them to one of our seasick table mates on one of our cruises, it was the answer to my prayers. I love cruising so being stuck on a boat is a pleasure for me. So much to do never bored.

I was concerned about sea sickness. I get very car sick and I can't even look at amusement park rides. I cruised many years ago and used the patch. It made my mouth dry and I couldn't drink alcohol. Dramamine makes me sleepy. A friend of mine who has a small sailboat that we were going on in the Atlantic Ocean out of NJ ( very rough wAters) bought me seabands to go on his boat. I was fine! I have been using them for cruising ever since. I even gave them to one of our seasick table mates on one of our cruises, it was the answer to my prayers. I love cruising so being stuck on a boat is a pleasure for me. So much to do never bored.

Thanks for the input. The evidence on seabands is pretty equivocal, but I do hear a lot of people say that it works for them.

Thanks for the input. The evidence on seabands is pretty equivocal, but I do hear a lot of people say that it works for them.

I always bring Dramamine as a backup and I haven't needed it. I do wear the bands the entire time, even to sleep. I take them off only to shower

I never felt I was "stuck on a boat". I was privileged to be on a ship. There is a lot to do and you don't feel confined at all.

A lot of people worry about seasickness and never have a problem with it. I think it gets talked up a lot because it is pretty awful, but I think the percentage that actually suffer from it is pretty low. Unless you know already that you have trouble with motion sickness, I wouldn't worry about it.

I suggest you give it a try, you may be surprised with how much you love it.

I never felt I was "stuck on a boat". I was privileged to be on a ship. There is a lot to do and you don't feel confined at all.

A lot of people worry about seasickness and never have a problem with it. I think it gets talked up a lot because it is pretty awful, but I think the percentage that actually suffer from it is pretty low. Unless you know already that you have trouble with motion sickness, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks!

Going on our first Disney cruise in January, however my Wife and I have been on a Carnival cruise before. As far as feeling "stuck" on a boat, I wouldn't worry about it. These ships are HUGE, and I never once felt strapped. There was always somewhere to go and something new to do it seemed. As far as sea sick, that always depends on the person, however my wife was concerned about that the first time we cruised and I believe she took some type of daytime dramamine. I would also imagine if you had an inside stateroom in the middle of the boat, you wouldn't notice it as much as if you had a balcony on the aft (which is what we had). The only time I really noticed us moving was during dinner or lunch time if I stared out the window.

I was concerned about being bored at first. As a result, we started small with a 4 day cruise and 3 days in Disney. We took 5 more of these and last year finally jumped up to our first 7 day cruise. I don't think you will find bored to be a problem (as folks said, the ships are huge and they have activities catered to all ages and interests and if you're like my husband, you can always sit around and do nothing and enjoy it!).

No experience with sea sickness - but we are all avid boaters from a young age and if you don't get sick on a smaller boat, you'll probably be fine on a much bigger one!

My sister was worried about being stuck on a boat for so many days but it's more like being in an all inclusive resort for days with some off property activities. It wasn't a problem when she got on the first cruise, although she got a veranda stateroom the first time to help. Now she's the one that plans our family cruises. There is so much to do on board and in port too. If the ships were smaller with less to do it would be more like being stuck in a floating motel for days, boring.

As far as being bored, maybe read through a Personal Navigator or two for a cruise you'd be interested in. They're located at disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

As far as being bored, maybe read through a Personal Navigator or two for a cruise you'd be interested in. They're located at disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

I'm not really worried about being bored. More like trapped.

Even the original boats (Wonder and Magic) which are smaller don't feel small. No feeling of being trapped for me. 3 laps on the running track (circling the boat) = 1 mile.

We love cruising. My wife gets sea sick but the patches take care of it for her.

I agree!

I also think that while there ARE people tho truly do suffer from seasickness, I would venture a guess that there is most likely a small percentage who get themselves so worked up worrying "What if..." about it they end up making themselves seasick in a self-fulfilling prophecy. (Again, I am NOT saying that no one gets seasick. I know there are people who truly do. No flames please.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter