Help! Cancelled trip. Need to figure out what to do with conference tix.

wendow

We create happiness.
My dh & I were going on our very first kids-free trip to WDW in April. We were going to celebrate our 20th wedding anniv. This would be only our 2nd kids free trip since we began our family. We were so excited!

My dh is going to a conference there and we had purchased conference tickets. Unfortunately, he works for a non-profit and now they want everyone to share rooms *and* he has to spend every free moment outside of the conference with his 4 other co-workers who are going. Not much of an anniv trip!

He called WDW conference people today and was told we cannot get our money back on our already purchased conference tickets but that we will have until the end of the year to use them. The CM also said we could even give them to someone else as they are not attached to any name. We spent $450 on the tickets. I won't be giving them away probably but can we list them on eBay? I am terrified to do that. Is there some kind of forum (like how people rent out DVC's) for selling tickets?

Thanks for any help. I am bummed...

When my husband had a conference I found plenty to do while he was in conference. You husband's work cannot require him to spend 24 hours a day with his coworkers. Surely you could still go and spend some time together in your room together, at least. The other four will have at least two rooms, I would imagine. Has your husband even asked his superiors for an exception?

I was prepared to be by myself all day and not worried about that at all. But we only would have three evenings and two of them will be with co-workers. He does have to share a room. Otherwise, we have to pay for the room ourselves. There is one single woman going and four men so she gets the room to herself. The conference hotel rate is decent but we were only trying to make this happen since the room was covered. We booked a couple of months ago and this info just came about today when we are a month away from going. All these others just decided to go :(

I am just trying to figure out the best way to sell the tickets.

Sorry, I was not clear. They are park tickets that we were able to buy at a discount b/c my dh was attending the conference. He is still attending the conference but there is no free time for the parks.

OH, ok. If I hadn't already bought mine for May I'd be interested. But as for your anniversary, there's no time before the end of the year that you guys could go back? If you've never been around the holidays in Nov/Dec, it is amazing!

I don't blame you for wanting your money back, but be careful..My friend went with us a couple years ago, she purchased tickets on ebay..The first day was fine, but the next day some how Disney found out and the tickets were void..She did get her money back after filing a claim with ebay but it was very embarrassing and she had to come up with money right on the spot for new tickets..good luck..

Is there someone (friend, relative) headed to WDW and whom you would trust?

You will get a higher offer for your tickets if you let the buyer go first and pay you later. Then the buyer would not have to worry about the tickets' being invalid.

Note that conference tickets cannot be upgraded with additional days, etc.

Maybe there are others in his professional network (outside of his organization) who are attending the conference and could use the tickets? Perhaps the conference organizers would have a suggestion? Would his organization be willing to let you cover the difference in cost between sharing rooms and a private room?

Maybe there are others in his professional network (outside of his organization) who are attending the conference and could use the tickets? Perhaps the conference organizers would have a suggestion? Would his organization be willing to let you cover the difference in cost between sharing rooms and a private room?

That is a good idea about contacting the people organizing the conference. I hadn't thought of that!

My dh works for a non-profit where every single penny counts. They are sending 5 people to the conference and they have 4 free conference admissions so they have to cover one of them. They are already stressing over that money. While the room sharing is obviously a deal breaker for me going also, there is also the problem of just not much free time. One evening over 3 entire days. Since we don't get away kid-free very often (once in 15 years!) and it's a pretty big deal flying grandparents out to us to watch our dc, I'd rather have more special time with my dh.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions. I think I am too afraid to sell the tickets on eBay. *I* know they are legit and I am honest but I worry about someone else trying to take advantage of us and claim they were not legit.

If we cannot find someone we know to take them, we may see if we can get out there in the fall. We were not planning a trip to WDW this year due to money but this work one fell in our laps and on the year of our 20th anniv. It seemed meant to be. But maybe something else will fall into place for later in the year.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions. I think I am too afraid to sell the tickets on eBay. *I* know they are legit and I am honest but I worry about someone else trying to take advantage of us and claim they were not legit.

If we cannot find someone we know to take them, we may see if we can get out there in the fall. We were not planning a trip to WDW this year due to money but this work one fell in our laps and on the year of our 20th anniv. It seemed meant to be. But maybe something else will fall into place for later in the year.

Its not about being legit, they are none transferable...so if Disney catches on the tickets are void...

The CM also said we could even give them to someone else as they are not attached to any name.

I would double check this. That's the case with regular tickets, but I'm pretty sure conference tickets are non-transferrable.

I also would be surprised if you can sell them. Do you have the tickets in hand? Years ago we bought discounted tickets when DD played AAU hoops nationals at WWOS. The tickets were a great price, but non-transferable and were dated to start one week before the tournament and two weeks after. Please read any info you received with the tickets or any info available for when you ordered them.

Hope you can still use them in the fall and are able to celebrate alone together.

I bought tickets through a conference I'm attending in Orlando next month (maybe the same one---attracts mostly nonprofits). They are not transferable.

Could your DH fly back later and spend a few extra days? You could meet him there when his conference is over, stay at a less expensive resort and have your trip still. You'd at least be saving on his flights, if not the rest. You can still make it a nice trip.

Its not about being legit, they are none transferable...so if Disney catches on the tickets are void...
That is what I thought too but the CM said she suggested my dh pick up the tickets when he is there for the conference b/c they are 'not attached to any name' and we could give them away...she didn't say 'sell'.

Could your DH fly back later and spend a few extra days? You could meet him there when his conference is over, stay at a less expensive resort and have your trip still. You'd at least be saving on his flights, if not the rest. You can still make it a nice trip.

We looked into this too but just won't work for getting family out to watch our kids. We have no family where we live!

Alrightly well, sounds like we need to confirm the tickets can be used later this year (despite the CM saying that) and that they can be transferred (despite the CM saying that)!

I bought tickets through a conference I'm attending in Orlando next month (maybe the same one---attracts mostly nonprofits). They are not transferable.

I *think* it is called Campus Management :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter