Hello, Room Service? - A DXDP Review *Completed

Thanks for the review!! How intersting that you liked Nine Dragons. The food looked very good! Most people don't like it at all... So it's nice to see a good review inbetween! :goodvibes

My sister actually suggested to go there and I was already prepared to talk her out of it, but perhaps I shouldn't... :goodvibes

Gotta love room service - the pleasure of getting to eat great food but without having to a) cook or b) leave your room :thumbsup2

My son loves room service (my husband complains that I'm training my son at a very young age)...when we arrive at our Disney resort, I usually order room service (so while waiting for food I can unpack). Sometimes, when my son gets too tired from his day at the park...he'll say can we have room service and chill in the room:rotfl2:. I guess we let him eat dinner and watch tv (he can only do that on vacation). Last trip, we check in and I said lets walk around and get CS at AKL and he said no mommy what about my room service? Can't wait to read your yummy reviews.

LOVE your reviews. When can we expect another one? No pressure! :)

Thanks for the review!! How intersting that you liked Nine Dragons. The food looked very good! Most people don't like it at all... So it's nice to see a good review inbetween! :goodvibes

My sister actually suggested to go there and I was already prepared to talk her out of it, but perhaps I shouldn't... :goodvibes

This was the sleeper restaurant of the trip - I wasn't expecting great things (just something edible - and at least a yummy dessert) but it was quite wonderful.

Gotta love room service - the pleasure of getting to eat great food but without having to a) cook or b) leave your room :thumbsup2

Sometimes you just want food, and you want someone to bring it to you. :rotfl:

My son loves room service (my husband complains that I'm training my son at a very young age)...when we arrive at our Disney resort, I usually order room service (so while waiting for food I can unpack). Sometimes, when my son gets too tired from his day at the park...he'll say can we have room service and chill in the room:rotfl2:. I guess we let him eat dinner and watch tv (he can only do that on vacation). Last trip, we check in and I said lets walk around and get CS at AKL and he said no mommy what about my room service? Can't wait to read your yummy reviews.

Growing up we never ordered room service (I'm not sure we ever stayed anywhere that offered room service) but now that I'm an adult, it is one of my top 10 things to do (ever).

LOVE your reviews. When can we expect another one? No pressure! :)

This morning :wizard: And thanks :3dglasses

I am also loving your reviews.

:cutie: Glad to have you aboard.

I originally had reservations for Jiko this night - but I just wasn't "feeling it" - we had gone out shopping and neither of us was dressed up (we were in shorts and t shirts) so we decided to see if we could get into Sanaa.

It was a 5 minute wait so no problem (we were earlier than our Jiko reservation so I thought, worse case scenario, if we can't get into Sanaa, we'll go over to the main building and enjoy Jiko). The hostess couldn't believe that I was cancelling Jiko for Sanaa - she said, "I think it's the first time I've ever heard of anyone cancelling there for here? Are you sure?"

We were seated at a table for two in the middle of the restaurant - we could see the windows but were not too close to them.

Our server Giovanni was training another server this evening so things were a little odd - it felt very crowded when the two of them kind of surrounded our table of two but our main server was very knowledgeable about the menu and his trainee was a very pleasant woman who had worked as a hostess since the restaurant opening.

to start with we had the bread service (recommended by Giovanni) with the Naan, Roti and Paneer Paratha for the breads and the Mango Lime Chutney (hot), the cucumber Raiba (cool) and the red pepper hummus (we knew we'd like).

This was a very pleasant starter - I had wanted to order one hot and one cool dip to balance each other and they were both very good.

WDWJune2009129.jpg

WDWJune2009128.jpg

For the other starter we ordered the scallops - not only did our server recommend them, but I had read many good reviews of them on the DIS boards so I really wanted to try them.

WDWJune2009127.jpg

These were better than the one's at Yachtsmen steakhouse (mainly because of the sauce and the mustard seeds) After Cindy ate one of the scallops - she was like, "those little black things on top are so good - please tell me they're not fish eggs (i.e. cavier)".

For entrees, we both ordered off the slow cooked menu so that we got to try all 6 things (shrimps in green curry, chicken in red curry, beef short ribs, spinach with paneer cheese, basmati rice and 5 grain rice pilaf). There wasn't a bad dish in the bunch! I was a little hesitant over the spinach and paneer cheese but it was a pleasant surprise - the cheese is in little white chunks and reminded me more of tofu than anything else (it doesn't melt in the hot dish :confused3 but stayed in chunks). Cindy had never had red or green curry (only yellow - which she loves) but she found that she really enjoys both of them. The beef ribs are good - as long as you like braised meats - they were well cooked and seasoned.

WDWJune2009130.jpg

WDWJune2009131.jpg

WDWJune2009138.jpg

WDWJune2009132.jpg

WDWJune2009133.jpg

WDWJune2009134.jpg

WDWJune2009135.jpg

WDWJune2009136.jpg

And then on to dessert:

We again went with one of the servers suggestions (the dessert sampler) and one that was recommended on the DIS boards (the chai cream)

The chai cream was fantastic! If you like chai lattes, you have to try this - smooth, sweet and creamy.
WDWJune2009144.jpg

The dessert sampler was three small desserts:

WDWJune2009140.jpg

The first one was the Mango mousse which was the favourite of the three - it was like creme brulee without the brulee part. And it tasted like fresh fruit not mango flavouring.

WDWJune2009141.jpg

the chocolate cake thing was kind of dry and stiff. We didn't finish it. I can see though if you have kids and want to share a dessert, this would be good because it's kind of like a chocolate brownie, and they'd probably like it which you could enjoy the other stuff

WDWJune2009142.jpg

And last was the orange Cardamom-butter cake. At first taste, I wasn't too crazy about this but I ended up eating it all (after Cindy had a bite but really, she was too busy polishing off the chai cream - I would have been taking my life in my hands to wrestle that away from her). The flavour seemed familar to me but I still can't place it. It was a dense cake but with a light flavour. It was rather addicting.

WDWJune2009143.jpg

For drinks I had a diet coke during dinner (Cindy had water) and then with dessert, Cindy ordered the Mango Rooibos tea. She loved the little pot it came in and looked to see if they sold them in the gift shop (they don't). The tea smelled wonderful.

WDWJune2009126.jpg

WDWJune2009139.jpg

I think what I liked best about this meal was that we ate a lot of different things without eating too much of any one thing. It was like sampling at a buffet without having to get up.

I'm glad I ate here with Cindy because I know that my parents would not enjoy the diverse flavours of most of the food. If you're not adventerous, I wouldn't try this restaurant. If you're a little adventurous or like diverse flavours, I can highly recommend Sanaa. It was a "different" disney experience.

Great Sanaa review!:thumbsup2 We are thinking about trying it next year - we are a little bit adventurous, we like to eat curries etc. at home - the food looks delicious!

We too have looked at Jiko - but decided instead of using up two dining credits to try Sanaa - where the food appeals to us just as much!

thanks for the Sanaa review. We are planning to stay at AKL and are wondering whether we need to eat three evenings at the hotel. Really looks like it, I really neither want to miss Boma or Jiko! :goodvibes

I was wondering about the bread service starter. Do you know wether they serve any bread with the meal if you don't order it?

One tip regarding dishes you like. I am from a town that has a number of china factories, especially one specializing in china for restaurants, so I learned to look at the bottom of nearly every plate I am served at a restaurant, to see wether it might be from home! I guess that would work with the teapot as well and then you would know the brand to search for on the internet! :goodvibes

Great Sanaa review!:thumbsup2 We are thinking about trying it next year - we are a little bit adventurous, we like to eat curries etc. at home - the food looks delicious!

We too have looked at Jiko - but decided instead of using up two dining credits to try Sanaa - where the food appeals to us just as much!

It was certainly one of the more "upscale" 1 credit restaurants (in terms of food & atomsphere).

thanks for the Sanaa review. We are planning to stay at AKL and are wondering whether we need to eat three evenings at the hotel. Really looks like it, I really neither want to miss Boma or Jiko! :goodvibes

I was wondering about the bread service starter. Do you know wether they serve any bread with the meal if you don't order it?

One tip regarding dishes you like. I am from a town that has a number of china factories, especially one specializing in china for restaurants, so I learned to look at the bottom of nearly every plate I am served at a restaurant, to see wether it might be from home! I guess that would work with the teapot as well and then you would know the brand to search for on the internet! :goodvibes

We didn't receive any other bread, nor do I recall see bread baskets on any other table. They kind of pushed the bread service (not only was it mentioned to use but other tables seated around us, I heard different servers really recommend it).

Thanks for the tip about checking the bottom - I'm sure if I look around a houseware store those pots are available. What she like was the infuser for the loose tea leaves was a little open basket that sat in the pot but it poured like a regular tea pot - it steeped quickly and poured easily with no stray leaves.

This morning we got up and hung around the pool. The weather was nice – hot and humid but overcast (which is beneficial for my pale, pale skin). We didn’t have breakfast this morning so we were both ready for lunch at 12 noon. Since we were at the hotel and I had heard great things, we decided to eat at Beaches and Cream. They start taking names around 11:40 – 11:45 so if you want to eat when they open, I recommend being there a little before 12 noon.

WDWJune2009157.jpg

We were seated at one of the little round tables. People always comment about how small this place is but you just don’t get it until you’re sitting in there. Even going in to the “To Go” window, you don’t get the real picture of how small it is. I think there is 3 or 4 booths, 4 or 5 tables and the counter and that’s it. I’d be surprised if they could seat more than 35 people at a time.

For my meal I ordered the onion rings, the burger with swiss cheese and the Milky Way Sundae. I have to admit I stuck with what has been well reviewed before (except the sundae). I almost ordered the No Way Jose but I just wasn’t in a peanut butter kind of mood – chocolate and caramel sounded much better.

The onion rings were obviously handmade – they were thick slices of onion dipped in batter and deep fried. I was able to eat most of them (Cindy had 3) because of skipping breakfast I was starving!

WDWJune2009158.jpg

The burger was good – hot and fresh. I ordered the fries as my side as I was experiencing a major salt craving. After eating most of my burger, I had about 5 or 6 fries - enough to satisfy my craving. This is a good burger but not the best on Disney property (I had that later in the week – stay tuned).

WDWJune2009161.jpg

The sundae was good – rich ice cream smothered with fudge and caramel and whipped cream. The bundt cake was vanilla which I didn’t expect – for some reason I was expecting a chocolate bundt cake (?this was just a weird assumption on my part?). I was only able to manage about ¼ of the sundae and most of that was the sauces (which is my favourite part).

WDWJune2009162.jpg

Cindy ordered the Chili for her appetizer – it was very meaty and a large serving. She ate some of it and I had a few bites. I think if paying oop, I’d order this as my entrée. It would be filling enough and meaty enough to satisfy but still save room for dessert.

WDWJune2009159.jpg

For her entrée she had something not listed on the menu instead but it was apparently on the menu outside the restaurant – it was a veggie wrap. She said the veggies were good but there was just so much “wrap”. They used a very large one and it just seemed to go around and around and around the veggies. She ordered fruit as her side and it must have been good because she ate it (I don’t remember her commenting on it at all, nor do I recall her eating it but I do remember her bowl being empty). After she was done she asked why I ordered fries since I didn’t eat any of them – so she started munching on them. I think because she didn’t eat much of the wrap (only the filling) she still had room for the extra fries.

WDWJune2009160.jpg

For dessert she ordered the Frozen sunshine but made with the fat free vanilla ice cream. She had asked for no whipped cream but the waitress forgot and put it on anyways. She scrapped it off and drank / ate the rest of the orange froth. She said it was very good and tasted like a creamy creamsicle.

WDWJune2009163.jpg

Our server here was okay – but we didn’t see her much – she was making most of the ice cream sundaes that day it seemed. She did bring me a refill on my diet coke without me asking but not until it had sat empty for a little while (I hadn’t had a chance to ask because she hadn’t been around).

Overall, it’s a cute place with good food and great ice cream BUT, I don’t think it’s worth a special trip if you’re not already somewhere in the area. If staying at the BC, YC or even the BWI, it’s worth it for a quick lunch, a cheap(er) dinner or just an ice cream treat. It might even be worth it if you’re done with DHS and looking for something else to do (and some food). I don’t think it’s worth a special trip where you have to figure out how to use Disney transportation to get there.

Thanks for the update...love your Sanaa review. We are not planning on going there for the next trip but if I show my husband the pictures you have shared...he want me to add it (he loves curry). He loved Jiko on our last trip (we ate there twice). I'm enjoying your review so much and can't wait for more.

Interesting review! I am intrigued where you got the best burger... My guess would be from room service! :lmao:

I would pretty mmuch agree with your review of B&C - we had a nice meal there one evening when staying at Boardwalk Villas - but it wasn't that great that I would have gone out of my way for it. The ice-cream sundaes are nice too but I prefer Ghirardellis :thumbsup2

I love your reviews. Your birthday cake looked so good! Happy Birthday honey!( ok it's a bit late)
Sanaa food looks yummmmY!

Thanks for the update...love your Sanaa review. We are not planning on going there for the next trip but if I show my husband the pictures you have shared...he want me to add it (he loves curry). He loved Jiko on our last trip (we ate there twice). I'm enjoying your review so much and can't wait for more.

I had really wanted to try Jiko but we just were not dressed for it and I wasn't in a "fancy" kind of mood. Sanaa is a good alternative if you just don't want a signature restaurant. I will (hopefully) have more reviews up today.

Interesting review! I am intrigued where you got the best burger... My guess would be from room service! :lmao:

No - not room service. Honestly, when I tell you where, you'll be like, "Oh of course!:laughing:"

I would pretty mmuch agree with your review of B&C - we had a nice meal there one evening when staying at Boardwalk Villas - but it wasn't that great that I would have gone out of my way for it. The ice-cream sundaes are nice too but I prefer Ghirardellis :thumbsup2

Yeah - it was nice, it was convenient and if I was in the area, sure but I see people saying things like, "So how can I use Disney transportation to get from All Star Movies on my non park day to the Beach Club so I can have lunch at Beaches and Cream" I just don't think it's worth it if you need to put out that kind of effort. :rolleyes1

I love your reviews. Your birthday cake looked so good! Happy Birthday honey!( ok it's a bit late)
Sanaa food looks yummmmY!

Thanks for the birthday wishes - Sanaa was really great and a nice treat since I don't get to enjoy Indian food as often as I like.

Just caught up on your great reviews, looking forward to reading more. :thumbsup2

Just read your brilliant reviews, how refreshing not to read the reviews based on same old ADRs (which I'm always guilty of). Some of the drinks look drool-worthy.

Just caught up on your great reviews, looking forward to reading more. :thumbsup2

Thanks - I'm working on the California Grill now.

Just read your brilliant reviews, how refreshing not to read the reviews based on same old ADRs (which I'm always guilty of). Some of the drinks look drool-worthy.

The DxDDP does give you a sense of freedom when choosing restaurants and meals - there are enough credits that even if you "waste" 1 or 2 on places you're not sure you like, it's okay because there is always another sit down meal around the corner.

I was able to secure this ADR just a week before we left – it was earlier than I hoped for (6:30) but I knew if we wanted to, we could always return to the restaurant to view the fireworks.

We were seated at a table for 4 near the open kitchen. I think I would have preferred a quieter table – one of the servers kept putting their water pitcher on the counter behind me and for some reason that really bothered me. The table was okay for us but if I was there with my spouse or on a special evening, it would have put a damper on things because there were always servers / chefs / etc on the other side of the counter, talking – chattering, etc.

Anyways, I had tried to order another one of the Magical Star Cocktails but the California Grill does not use the standard drink menu. Even though I was trying to order an alcoholic beverage, my server was suggesting several specialty non alcoholic beverages. I ordered a virgin pina colada. It was good but I missed the rum :lmao:

WDWJune2009166.jpg

Cindy had water with lemon for her dinner drink. (sorry no pic - please insert imagination here).

This was the hardest menu to choose from for the appetizer - I wanted them all - a flat bread, a sushi, a soup and the lobster risotto.

I ended up going with the flat bread and was very happy with my selection. It was lamb, feta, tomatoes, pine nuts and tzaziki sauce. Imagine the best Greek food you've ever eaten, diced up, placed on top of a thin crispy crust and baked. This was an excellent choice - very flavourful and with good textures (some crisp, some soft, some chewy, some melty).

WDWJune2009167.jpg

I could see coming here (without the DxDDP) and sharing a few flatbreads, some sushi and an appetizer or two but skipping the entrees.

Cindy ordered the spicy Kazan roll. She looked at the plate and was impressed but noticed that there was no little dip of wasabi sauce on the plate. She looked for the server to ask for some but I recommended trying it first. After one bite she realized that it didn't need extra wasabi! She literally cleaned this plate - every bit of the crunch, sushi and cucumber salad was gone. The only thing remaining was the ginger since she doesn't like that at all.

WDWJune2009168.jpg

Entrees were harder to choose. I wasn't feeling the steak which our server recommended. I decided to go with a fish. I ordered the grouper which is a nice meaty white fish. The sides appealed to me. This was excellent. It was seared on the outside with a nice crust which kept the fish moist. It was served with gnoochi with bacon and endame. The gnoochi was very tender with the bacon added a good saltiness to the dish. I ate about 2/3 of the fish before I was full. Because it is a "meaty" fish, I find it's very filling. Cindy finished up the remaining bit.

WDWJune2009170.jpg

Cindy ordered the salmon. She had to peel the skin off the top before eating. So she scrapped the sauce or topping to the side, removed the skin and then put the topping back on the fish. Other than the skin issue, she loved this. I'm not entirely sure what here sides was but I do believe she ate most of it.

WDWJune2009171.jpg

Dessert was tough - not because there were too many good choices but because there wasn't anything that appealed to me :confused3. I had thought of the valhona chocolate cake but they changed the ice cream to cherry (I don't like) and it seemed that most of the dessert menus had something or other that I just didn't like or couldn't eat (I am allergic to honey). I ended up ordering the modern take on banana cream pie. I wasn't impressed. There were three parts to the dessert - part one was a Meringue - which is based egg whites. Very blah. The second part were three little biscotti on chocolate - these I enjoyed, there were like ginger snaps almost. I scrapped up the chocolate using the cookies and enjoyed the three of them. The creme brulee was not good. It was very shallow and mushy - if I had to guess, I'd say that it didn't set properly. It was more like pudding or mashed bananas than creme brulee. And because the dish was so shallow the brulee part overwhelmed everything. It ended up far too thick on the little dish.

WDWJune2009173.jpg

Cindy ate the creme brulee. She said, "You know what your problem is, you're just not a dessert connesour, you only like chocolate." saying it like chocolate was a bad word! She's lucky we weren't sitting by the window because after that comment, she would have been on her way 15 floors down out the window!

Cindy ordered the trio of no sugar added desserts. Her least favourite was the cheesecake and her most favourite was the one with the strawberries.

WDWJune2009174.jpg

With dessert, she had tea and I had coffee.

WDWJune2009172.jpg

It was a lovely meal and would certainly return here. One thing though, they tell you, oh - 500 times or so - that you can return to the restaurant to watch the fireworks, you need only bring back your receipt. The person checking us in told us, the hostess upstairs told us, our server told us, another server told us, coming out of the bathroom someone else told us, Cindy was taking pictures someone else told us. By the end of the night I wanted to scream, "I know, I know, keep the receipt and come back to watch the fireworks!".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter