Hello, Room Service? - A DXDP Review *Completed

This one is light on the pictures because, well, we already had pictures of most of what we ordered.

This is the day my Dad arrived. We were expecting him sometime Thursday but instead he arrived about 6pm Wednesday night - he made really good time driving and only slept for about 5 hours (since he had really noisy neighbours at the motel he stopped at). I made him show me the motel receipt to prove he stopped because I was concerned he did the 23 hour drive without stopping.

Anyways - we were debating on where to have dinner. Cindy and I had dinner reservations at Le Cellier at 7pm but my Dad didn't want to use a park ticket just for dinner. I was also trying to explain to the two of them that I would have to pay for 1 meal because only 2 of us could use dining credits since only two of us were on the plan. I had the hardest time getting this through to them. Finally after much back and forth, we ordered room service again - we ordered 2 of the shrimp appetizers, 2 Filet Mignon's with baked potatoes and vegetables and two desserts. We also ordered two bottles of Evian water for the drinks.

We each ate 4 shrimp (six plus six = 12 divided by 3 = 4). These were just as plump as the previous bunch.

We cut pieces off of the two steaks and sliced off some of the baked potatoes and split up the veggies. There was lots of food for 3 people - we were all stuffed. The steak was even more tender than the night before and both were cooked a perfect medium. One serving of the veggies had a ton of the portebello mushrooms and the other serving had only a few but that is the only downside I could say about this meal.

My Dad had some fruit pies (you know those packaged ones that look like half moons) so he had those for dessert (he LOVES them - well, a certain brand of them and you can't get them in Canada so he's always happy when he gets them).

Cindy ordered the Key Lime Pie. This was a little sweeter than I like key lime (I like it more tart) but still a nice dessert.

WDWJune2009201.jpg

I ordered the double chocolate cheesecake - it's white chocolate cheesecake on the outside and inside the centre is chocolate cheesecake. The top was covered with sweet fresh berries. It was a good cheesecake but honestly, I have had better.

WDWJune2009200.jpg

This was a good choice for the three of us since it didn't cost me anything out of pocket - not even the tip and we were all full afterwards.

If it's between the BC and the YC - I'd go with the YC. We found that the rooms at the BC were inconsistent. We changed rooms 3 times. The first room was tiny - the size of a moderate - it had two double beds, no daybed, a standing balcony and was pretty far away from the lobby. The second room was the second last room at the absolute end of the hotel (very far walk) and had the neighbours from heck nextdoor. The third room was great but it took a lot of persistance to get it.

This has me a bit alarmed. Here I am looking forward to staying at the BC because I hear the rooms have been updated and I thought they were all nice. I don't think I can really make any room requests since we are already asking for connecting rooms, so if I get that I fell I will be lucky.

We stayed at the YC a couple of years ago and had to change rooms because the first room smelled musky and the one we ended up in seemed in dire need of updating.

Maybe I should request a day bed as well as connecting, then I might get a good one?

Thanks for the GREAT reviews!!!

Great reviews. I was wondering if you had a problem at Sanaa getting the bread sampler and another appitizer? I was thinking sicne the bread sampler says for 2 they might make us share it.

great update...love those room services...its great that tip is included.
After what I was spending on Tips for the two of us, it was a relief that the room service covered the tip.

I can see why that resort in the book I was reading voted it number one for roomservice!

It was quite enjoyable and some really great food. I could really use one of those steaks with the grilled veggies right about now.

This has me a bit alarmed. Here I am looking forward to staying at the BC because I hear the rooms have been updated and I thought they were all nice. I don't think I can really make any room requests since we are already asking for connecting rooms, so if I get that I fell I will be lucky.

We stayed at the YC a couple of years ago and had to change rooms because the first room smelled musky and the one we ended up in seemed in dire need of updating.

Maybe I should request a day bed as well as connecting, then I might get a good one?

Thanks for the GREAT reviews!!!

Make requests! I think it also depends on how busy the hotel is as to getting what you want. It was very busy the first weekend we were there which is when we had room issues. They had no difficulty changing our rooms at the end of the week-end.

Great reviews. I was wondering if you had a problem at Sanaa getting the bread sampler and another appitizer? I was thinking sicne the bread sampler says for 2 they might make us share it.

No problem at all. When the server recommended it, I was hesitant but the next words out of his mouth were "and you can still get a second appetizer". It was the only place we went where the "for two" item didn't cost us both credits (the only other time we got the "for two" item was at nine dragons for dessert and there it took both of us ordering it).

So the next day Cindy and I went to DHS. We of course started off riding Toy Story Mania (I love this ride).

By lunch we were hungry. Since this wasn't where I planned on being today (I was expecting us to be at MK) we didn't have any ADR's.

I went up to check on walking into Sci Fi and was told it would be about 20 - 30 minutes. We were both starving since we skipped breakfast and thinking about it, I hadn't even had anything to drink since my dad took my refillable mug for coffee. I wasn't going to wait but the hostess encouraged me to.

About 5 minutes later, our name was called. I don't know how 20-30 became 5 but anyways.....We were seated in the front seat of one of the cars with two other groups of two behind us.

To start we both ordered a milkshake. While it was good, I wish I'd gotten a drink since this really filled me up and I needed liquid more than ice cream.

I got a plain vanilla (boring I know) and Cindy got the Oreo Shake. I didn't realize until afterwards looking at the pictures that the oreo crumbs were on top of the shake not mixed into it.

WDWJune2009210.jpg

WDWJune2009212.jpg

Here's a bonus picture of us in the car that our server took. For those who are pooh sized like me, you can fit. It's tight but considering so much of my weight is my tummy, behind and thighs, I was actually surprised that I squeezed in when I saw the space. It was more comfortable though to not force my second leg all the way into the car as it would have made me squeeze my thighs tightly together.

WDWJune2009211.jpg

For appetizer Cindy ordered the spinach dip which she ate all of though there were plenty of chips left over. She said she could have had just that and been happy.

WDWJune2009209.jpg

I had the BLT soup. Oh this was good. It was super creamy with bits of bacon and shredded lettuce on top. This was no canned tomato soup (it's probably bought frozen but still). And the garlic crouton it is served with is so tasty I wished there was more than one. It was crispy and very garlic-y.

WDWJune2009213.jpg

For entree Cindy ordered the shrimp pasta. I don't really remember what she said about this because I was too busy with my own meal. I do remember an empty plate though and it was the one place where we took dessert to go so I'm assuming she liked it.

WDWJune2009215.jpg

I ordered the burger with cheddar, mushrooms and bacon. O - M - G! We have great burger places here (Wimpy's, T-Bone's) but this was just greasy, salty, gooey, oniony, bacony, beefy goodness wrapped in a fresh baked roll. It was piping hot so it was obviously just off the grill (or frying surface as it may be) which really made this an excellent burger. It was cooked medium well so it was juicy but not pink. The bun was also able to contain the burger and all the toppings. Nothing bugs me more about a good burger than if it's served on a crappy bun that falls apart and leaves your hands greasy and messy because it just couldn't hold together. This is by far the best burger in Disney. There was also a good pile of fries - golden and crispy - again very freshly cooked. This is one entree that I would say is worth the price tag paying out of pocket. There was twice as much food as a counter service burger meal, in a great atmosphere, served on a real plate for a reasonable price. I already made an ADR for our next trip here because I know that my Dad would love this.

WDWJune2009214.jpg

Sorry, no pics of dessert. We both got the chocolate peanutbutter cake to go. I ended up throwing most of mine away. Maybe if it was warm it would have been good, but cold it was stiff and not enough peanut butter flavour.

This was an excellent lunch. It was a lot of fun watching the movie clips, the food was very good and the air conditioning was cranked up super high.

Sorry, no pics of dessert. We both got the chocolate peanutbutter cake to go. I ended up throwing most of mine away. Maybe if it was warm it would have been good, but cold it was stiff and not enough peanut butter flavour.

Nope... no such luck. I had the chocolate peanut butter cake fresh from the kitchen...

There wasn't much peanut butter flavor in it... just a dab of peanut butter in the middle, and it was quite stiff. I expected more like a creamy, oozing peanut butter to come out, but no such luck. I typically love anything with chocolate and peanut butter - to me that's a match made in heaven. But this cake was one of the biggest disappointments to me! :snooty: Next time, I can consider Sci-Fi a good OOP meal, but I'll stick with just an entree and a shake. The chocolate cake wasn't even very chocolatey either.

I did have the Oreo shake too, and although there's oreo pieces all over the top, they gradually make their way through... maybe there were some inside the shake too... can't quite remember. I just know the whole shake tasted like a good, genuine cookies 'n cream shake. :thumbsup2 And having that for a drink makes dessert unnecessary.

We love the burgers and fries from Sci Fi, finally got to try this place this past March and it was awesome! If you like onion rings you have got to go back and order them, they are fantastic!

Nope... no such luck. I had the chocolate peanut butter cake fresh from the kitchen...

There wasn't much peanut butter flavor in it... just a dab of peanut butter in the middle, and it was quite stiff. I expected more like a creamy, oozing peanut butter to come out, but no such luck. I typically love anything with chocolate and peanut butter - to me that's a match made in heaven. But this cake was one of the biggest disappointments to me! :snooty: Next time, I can consider Sci-Fi a good OOP meal, but I'll stick with just an entree and a shake. The chocolate cake wasn't even very chocolatey either.

I did have the Oreo shake too, and although there's oreo pieces all over the top, they gradually make their way through... maybe there were some inside the shake too... can't quite remember. I just know the whole shake tasted like a good, genuine cookies 'n cream shake. :thumbsup2 And having that for a drink makes dessert unnecessary.

That's too bad about the cake. I wish I had gotten the cheesecake to go but I was concerned that it would spoil in the heat (not that it mattered we ended up back at the hotel shortly after lunch).

We love the burgers and fries from Sci Fi, finally got to try this place this past March and it was awesome! If you like onion rings you have got to go back and order them, they are fantastic!

Onion Rings are on the list for October.

I had booked Yachtsmen Steakhouse for a second time during the trip for my Dad (he loves steak). I wasn't too hyped up about going but he was ready for a restaurant meal (having had only room service and fast food since he arrived - he spent the day at the ocean instead of at the parks).

Cindy said she didn't really want a big meal so she offered to get counter service (which was fine with me - we had an odd number of credits left due to her previous forays into the CS places). She got a salad from the BC Marketplace and hit the gym for a workout.

My Dad and I arrived at the restaurant and were seated after a few minutes. We were led to a wonderful table by the window in the round part of the restaurant. This was a much better table than last time.

We started out with drinks - I had another Magical Star cocktail and my Dad ordered a sigapore sling. These were good - strong but well mixed.

WDWJune2009221.jpg

For his appetizer my dad ordered the beef ravioli. He's not too much of a seafood eater (except for shrimp) and salad is limited to ice berg lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber. He said they were actually "pretty good" - when presented I don't think he thought he'd like them but he ate every bite.

WDWJune2009222.jpg

I went with our servers recommendation and ordered the Lobster bisque. It was by far one of the best I've had. There were decent sized pieces of lobster and the broth was creamy with a slight sharpness to it. Even though I knew I'd have trouble eating anything else, I finished every drop of this soup. It was also a larger portion than I have been served at any other restaurnat.

WDWJune2009223.jpg

For entrees both Dad and I went with the servers suggestion of the Porterhouse steak. My Dad had his served with the fries and I subbed mashed potatoes. These were very tender and perfectly cooked steaks. They are the second best I've ever had (the best ever was at Steakhouse 55 in Disneyland last year). I had no problem cutting mine off the bone - I took more than half of my steak "to go" and ate it for lunch the next day. The mashed potatoes were wonderful - they have the skins mashed in and lots of butter and garlic. Dad loved the fries! I think they had truffle oil or something on them? He ate all of them and also took a small piece of his steak to go.

WDWJune2009224.jpg

WDWJune2009225.jpg

Dessert was tougher. There wasn't actually anything that appealed to my Dad :confused3 A woman at the next table had something that looked interesting so he ordered that. It was the gelato sundae. He really enjoyed this even though "he doesn't like gelato" or so he says - I think he confuses gelato with sherbet. The gelato was very creamy and flavourful and he said it was like premium ice cream. In the middle was a banana flavoured cream and then there was also chocolate sauce and cherries in there somewhere as well. He was very happy with his dessert.

WDWJune2009228.jpg

I went with the creme brulee. Even though it was a plain (i.e. vanilla) creme it was very tasty. It was one of the smoothest I've ever had and firm (but not overly gelatenous) just the right consistency. The brulee was done well - but a little overdone on one side. The pile of fruit it's served with was fresh and ripe. This was a great way to end this meal - a light dessert sweet but not cloying.

WDWJune2009229.jpg

As we were enjoying dessert, our view from the table allowed us to see the high fireworks from Illuminations going off.

The view out our window:
WDWJune2009227.jpg

The view of the ceiling:
WDWJune2009226.jpg

I was very glad I gave this restaurant a second chance. Our server was excellent - funny, attentive and made great suggestions. The food was outstanding and the section of the restuarant was beautifully decorated and felt very upscale. Overall, it is one of my favourite meals I've enjoyed at Disney.

Thanks for another wonderful update...everything I see a picture of the Porterhouse from Yachtmen Steakhouse, I want to go there...I'm going back and forth if I should include it to our Dec dinning. Thanks again...enjoying your update.

Do you think they would frown upon sharing a steak at YS? Good review!!!

I don't have any pictures of Planet Hollywood nor do I know exactly what was eaten. Cindy and my Dad went to Typhoon Lagoon and then to Planet Hollywood for lunch. I stayed at the hotel, ate leftovers and packed up my stuff to be ready for an early check out on Saturday morning.

Dinner was our last room service meal. We stuck to favourites from earlier in the week.

For appetizers we ordered two chicken Quesadillas with all the fixins:

WDWJune2009233.jpg

WDWJune2009235.jpg

These were as good as before. I was having a salt craving so I had one of these for my supper and some of the veggies from the steak but wasn't really feeling like anything else.

My Dad got the steak again. This one seemed larger than the other two we had gotten - still cooked perfectly and with a large serving of the veggies and a super sized potato.

WDWJune2009234.jpg

Cindy ordered the fish of the day which was trout served with some kind of grain / rice topping. She said this was awesome! The fish was tender and cut with a fork (no crispy edges) and the topping was perfect with it.

WDWJune2009232.jpg

I'm just going to say it - the little tail turned me off of this dish. I don't want my food to closely resemble it's former life.

Desserts we ordered the chocolate portifole and the key lime tart.
WDWJune2009201.jpg

WDWJune2009187.jpg

This was a great way to end our disney dining for this trip. The last thing we did was use up our snack credits on some coconut bars and packaged treats for gifts for people back home.

Great, great reviews! Loved all your details! Thanks for sharing!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter