Heartbreaking news...a big reminder to be aware of wildlife on property

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are being too literal. Do not swim clearly means "do not go in the water" and to suggest otherwise is disingenuous. Before my kids could swim, we would still refer to a day at the pool as "going swimming".

I'm not suggesting that the parents were negligent here, but I also do not believe Disney is negligent. This was a freak accident. A horribly tragic one. Can't we just leave it at that???

That is so completely false and not disingenuous..I live in a beach town and do not swim does not mean do not stand in the water ankle high. Can you explain if they are so serious about do not go in the water at all why they would have these pristine sandy beaches perfectly groomed with beach chairs lining the area. No reasonable person would interpret those surroundings to mean keep your feet out of the water.

And you know this how? That's pretty presumptuous.

Regarding the parents? Let's just say that I just know.

I also worked in media for years, the 12" of water thing is misquoted in multiple published articles. That fact seems a little misconstrued. Maybe I am 100% wrong but that is what my gut tells me.

Should Disney post signs warning people of the dangers of driving?
No. Because literally EVERYONE knows of these dangers!!

I'd bet that the vast majority of WDW guests on any given day have NO IDEA that alligators are active near those little "beaches" where guests are encouraged to congregate, day and NIGHT! So a sign would WARN them -- EDUCATE them -- on that danger. That's all.

Will some still ignore it?? Sure. Can't prevent every situation like this. But a cheap sign replacement seems a reasonable thing to expect to warn those who actually wouldn't know otherwise. Can't help the people who would know and still ignore. That's just reality. No idea if it would have made a difference here. Pretty costless to make this change, though.

The number of people who indicate that many visitors don't know about the wildlife is a good indication that visitors need to take responsibility in researching their travel destinations...and not just the rides they want to go on.
Bingo...they can tell you what time you need to get up to take the bus to be at rope drop to get in line for Elsa, but they don't know there are alligators in the waters, or that there are poisionious snakes....seriously....

Nothing can compensate for the loss of a child. When a person sues, it is usually for money,

IF... the loss of any child of mine was the result of gross negligence or malice I'd be suing to administer some grief, not for an early retirement. I don't see negligence or malice here but it's awful hard to just suck it up and walk way if such loss was somebody's 'fault'.

Bill From PA

I'd bet that the vast majority of WDW guests on any given day have NO IDEA that alligators are active near those little "beaches" where guests are encouraged to congregate! So a sign would WARN them -- EDUCATE them -- on that danger. That's all.

Will some still ignore it?? Sure. Can't prevent every situation like this. But a cheap sign replacement seems a reasonable thing to expect to warn those who actually wouldn't know otherwise. Can't help the people who would know and still ignore. That's just reality. No idea if it would have made a difference here. Pretty costless to make this change, though.
Does everyone who vists Disney know that you drive on the right side of the road? If we are getting technical here, no everyone doesn't know this. Other Countries don't. Does everyone know that when it rains its a law, you must put on your headlights, nope, do they know the move over law, nope.

I also worked in media for years, the 12" of water thing is misquoted in multiple published articles. That fact seems a little misconstrued. Maybe I am 100% wrong but that is what my gut tells me.

I think you are going to turn out to be right. I did read a couple of articles that put it that way, 1-2 feet from shore or 1-2 feet into the water, not 1-2 foot depth, though I've mostly seen articles stating the latter. I would not be surprised if it was really 1-2 feet from shore, though. That makes more sense.

I'd bet that the vast majority of WDW guests on any given day have NO IDEA that alligators are active near those little "beaches" where guests are encouraged to congregate, day and NIGHT! So a sign would WARN them -- EDUCATE them -- on that danger. That's all.

First, I never argued that sign changes shouldn't be made.
Second, the "literally everyone" is an exaggeration. Many people do, but not literally everyone. There are plenty of places around the world where driving isn't very common. There are places around the world that have different driving laws than the US, making the differences potentially dangerous for one inexperienced with driving here. We have people driving right now who may not even be aware in just how dangerous it can be. My point is that danger is always around us. Be aware, regardless of what sign is or is not posted. I was simply taking the "fully inform a customer of a potential danger" to its logical conclusion.

Does everyone who vists Disney know that you drive on the right side of the road? If we are getting technical here, no everyone doesn't know this. Other Countries don't. Does everyone know that when it rains its a law, you must put on your headlights, nope, do they know the move over law, nope.
Seriously?

I think a sign that says, Stay off Grass would be more effective. That's what some are arguing, the sign was not effective as stated.

I doubt it. This was a freak accident. I could argue that the fact that hundreds of millions of people have visited Disney in the close to 50 years of operation and there has been 1 fatal alligator attack means that the sign as written has been effective. But that would also be a poor argument. Bottom line here is that anyone holding Disney or the parents as responsible here are not being reasonable.

First, I never argued that sign changes shouldn't be made.
Second, the "literally everyone" is an exaggeration. Many people do, but not literally everyone. There are plenty of places around the world where driving isn't very common. There are places around the world that have different driving laws than the US, making the differences potentially dangerous for one inexperienced with driving here. We have people driving right now who may not even be aware in just how dangerous it can be. My point is that danger is always around us. Be aware, regardless of what sign is or is not posted. I was simply taking the "fully inform a customer of a potential danger" to its logical conclusion.
This is just ludicrous. You now posit that some people don't know driving can be dangerous. OK. To quote Disney, ABC's Shark Tank, "for that reason, I'm out".

I've certainly made my simple, practical point clear multiple times. Not much else to say about this tragedy.

I bet that if you surveyed WDW guests, the vast majority would have NO IDEA that alligators were active in these zero-entry little "beaches" where Disney organizes daily and nightly activities encouraging people to congregate. We can argue all day that they SHOULD know this can happen -- it's Florida after all -- even in magical WDW. I'd bet that most still wouldn't have any idea.

A basic warning of possible DANGER from wildlife here would be costless for Disney.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

They encourage kids to play and congregate near the water. The beaches are perfectly groomed...at other resorts hammocks sit feet from water. They show movies at night where visibility is minimal. It is crazy for someone to think that Disney should not have in this particular setting had more particular signage. I will go one more WHY do they have these set ups so close to the water where there are alligators? A reasonable person would see all this Disney manufactured activity at the waters edge and think it is of course safe to put feet in water. Sorry I know people are always looking to place blame and I can not stand it but this here is Disney's fault..plan and simple.

They attracted the people there with movies and sandy beach and created a false sense of security and then put up a sign that says no swimming..sorry not enough. No swimming by no stretch of imagination means no putting feet in water.

Last edited:

When I listened to the police speak last night I swore I heard him say the boy was putting his feet in. He didn't say it specifically but the way he was moving his hands and fingers told me he meant the boy was putting his feet in and splashing around in the water. I never heard he was a foot in.
I wondered where everyone got the "foot in the water" from. I can see how his comment could have been misunderstood with all the chaos.

Either way it's a sad sad situation. To me arguing about if the parents were right or wrong or if Disney was is a moot point. A little boy lost his life in a horrible way and his poor family had to witness it. It's something they'll live with forever. Absolutely horrible.

If you're a parent you make decisions you deem right for your own kids. Sometimes you make mistakes. Sometimes horrible things happen regardless.
Considering they're from Nebraska I doubt they had any idea of alligators.
I wouldn't have known they were there if not for this forum.
I just pray they find his body so this poor family can have some sort of closure.

Editing to clarify....considering they're from Nebraska I doubt they had any idea of alligators in Disney World.

Last edited:
Just wondering, has anyone stayed at real beachfront property and been given a flyer saying sealife in ocean ie: jellyfish & sharks upon check in? Why would Disney give you a flyer on their wildlife? I don't mean to sound sarcastic so please don't take it that way. I have never heard of a resort doing this, which is why I am asking. Just because you didn't "think" or "realize" thst there is wildlife in surrounding areas is not Disney's fault. Just as it's not a resorts responsibility to inform you of sealife when staying at ocean front property.

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter