• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Heads up for Canadian drivers in Florida

the Florida law just made CAA lots of money. I can totally see them cashing in on this and the cost rising year after year

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards

WOW ... so the state of Florida can make up a law, NOT tell anyone about it, and then ENFORCE it ??? Many snowbirds have been there since October, and does anyone else find it strange that we've seen nothing in the media about this? What about all those unfortunate people out there that AREN'T Dis'ers? :rotfl2:

And I'm confused how a NON-government agency like CAA can issue paperwork to satisfy someone else's government agency ??? :confused3 CAA doesn't have any records to prove that my drivers licence is valid, or anything of the sort.

CAA is definitely making money here ... guess it's time to contact my MPP ... oh wait, they're not even working yet are they? :rolleyes1

And here I thought I'd heard some of THE stupidest things going ... this one just moved to the top of the list. :rolleyes:

the Florida law just made CAA lots of money. I can totally see them cashing in on this and the cost rising year after year

You know.. I hadn't thought of that really. You're right. It's now required and hence forth will get more expensive every year. I wouldn't be surprised.

This is all making me cranky. I need to go to bed.:rotfl2:

Since January 1, 31, Florida is requiring all non-US residents to carry an International Driving Permit. Many car renting locations may require it too.

You can find a copy of this law on the CAA website or on the State of Florida's website.

I don't have enough posts to be able to paste a working link. Another posted could do it.

Thanks for the heads up....off to CAA to get my permit.

I just saw a news flash from CP24.

it says, Florida Law now Requires Canadians to have International Driving Permit.

I guess everyone will know about it now.

Ok ... I pay $25 to CAA to translate my English Drivers license into English. If CAA's website is accurate, Florida's law makes it impossible for Canadians to drive in Florida! Canadians need an IDP. CAA is the only authorized Canadian issuer. CAA issued IDPs are only valid outside North America! Sorry folks, but something doesn't add up here. This just doesn't add up. :rolleyes1

Ok ... I pay $25 to CAA to translate my English Drivers license into English. If CAA's website is accurate, Florida's law makes it impossible for Canadians to drive in Florida! Canadians need an IDP. CAA is the only authorized Canadian issuer. CAA issued IDPs are only valid outside North America! Sorry folks, but something doesn't add up here. This just doesn't add up. :rolleyes1

Ted My hubby feels the same way! Can't understand why it would only be CAA for one and for two, how can the instate a law without giving people time to do it. What about people that have been snowbirding there?

I thought I read that too! But it was late when this thread got started last night so thought I had read it wrong! :goodvibes

Haha!
Just went to cbc.ca for daily news and there is this banner...
BREAKING
Canadians now need int'l licence to drive in Florida

This whole fiasco is so ridiculous! This has finally made it to the news media this morning. They interviewed a spokesperson from the CAA on the radio Newstalk 1010 this morning and car rental companies in Florida were not even aware of the new law effective Jan 1 until a couple of days ago. It is the new law as confirmed by the CAA spokesperson this morning and an IDP is required. The CAA is lobbying gov't officials in Florida to get an exemption from the law for the millions of Canadians that travel to Florida each year. It's also in The Toronto Star this morning.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...rs_carry_an_international_driving_permit.html

Wait. Someone mentioned IDP is only valid outside north America??

And why can only CAA issue this??? It just says on the website its not valid in Canada. But someone else brought up a good point. The CAA isn't a govt body but can issue drivers licenses?

And why can only CAA issue this??? It just says on the website its not valid in Canada. But someone else brought up a good point. The CAA isn't a govt body but can issue drivers licenses?

It isn't a license, it is a "permit". BIG difference. :confused3:rotfl2:

Yes, our CAA site says this:

"IDP's issued by CAA are only valid outside North America with the exception of IPDs that are used for translation purposes. Some States in the U.S.A. require an IDP as an official translation of a French drivers licence".

When you say CAA is actively changing wording, are they now saying they ARE valid in the US? So they are suddenly just deciding to change where they're valid? Overnight...just like that?

Ted - I particularly like the Visa Service Canada link.
It is very helpful, informing us Note: IDPs issued by CAA are only valid outside North America.
:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter