Heads up for Canadian drivers in Florida

QcDISer

Earning My Ears
Since January 1, 31, Florida is requiring all non-US residents to carry an International Driving Permit. Many car renting locations may require it too.

You can find a copy of this law on the CAA website or on the State of Florida's website.

I don't have enough posts to be able to paste a working link. Another posted could do it.

Thanks for the heads up! I found several sites but here is a link from the Florida Department of Highway Safety: http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/idp.html

Also, here is info on the visitflorida site: http://www.visitflorida.com/uk/articles/florida-frequently-asked-questions

Here is the text found about halfway down the above page:

Take note if you reside outside the United States and will be visiting Florida as of January 1, 2013. A nonresident must have in their possession an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by their country of residence and a valid license from that country. This applies to any vehicle, including rental vehicles. The IDP must be in the customer's name and from their country of residence. Again, this permit is only to be shown in conjunction with a valid driver license issued from the visitor's country, not as a substitute. Contact the authorities in your country who issued your driver's license, or the motoring association there, to find out how to obtain an IDP. A listing of associations in foreign countries authorized to issue an IDP is provided for your reference, courtesy of the American Automobile Association (AAA).

This might explain it.

" Where is the CAA IDP valid?

In all the countries that signed the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic. In addition, many other countries which are not signatories to the Convention recognize the IDP and accept it in their territories.

IDP's issued by CAA are only valid outside North America with the exception of IPDs that are used for translation purposes. Some States in the U.S.A. require an IDP as an official translation of a French drivers licence
."

see

https://www.atlantic.caa.ca/travel/before-you-go/idp

Ted In Halifax - I suggest you take a look at the link from the tripwheels.com site. They spoke with a Florida Sheriff and the law applies to all non-US citizens with no exceptions and no grace period. The site is based in the UK but they speak English so you would think they wouldn't need it to translate the licence.

This completely caught me off guard as we leave in two and a half weeks. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks OP. I had no idea about this until reading your post.

FYI, I am cutting and pasting an excerpt from the Alberta Motor Association (CAA) website with respect to this (hope this is within the rules). The full webpage is at:

http://www.ama.ab.ca/travel/international-driving-permit-

================================

What else you need to know...

The IDP must be issued at a CAA office in Canada and cannot be obtained or renewed elsewhere. Once issued, the IDP is valid for one year from the date of issue, providing your Canadian licence is valid for the duration of your trip. Your valid Canadian provincial driver's licence must accompany the IDP at all times. An IDP cannot be post-dated, extended or renewed and a new application form must be completed each time a new IDP is required. Traceable methods for delivery are recommended. An additional fee will be applied for registered mail and courier service.

Effective January 1, 2013, travellers that wish to drive in Florida without obtaining a Florida driver license will be required to have an International Driving Permit to accompany their out of country license. This applies to any vehicle, including rental vehicles. The International Driving Permit must be in the customer’s name and from their country of residence.

Why did the law change?
The purpose of the permit is for the English translation. Obviously, a license issued in Canada and other English speaking countries is already written in English so the permit is admittedly a little redundant but that is technically the law at this point.

What will happen to a driver who drives without an IDP?
Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid license and if stopped, law enforcement has the option of 1/ arresting the driver and taking him/her to jail 2/ giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance.

This should make things just a little bit crazy at the car rental counters, don't you think?

Anyone see anything mentioned when they check their reservations? I would think the major rental firms will have alerts that pop up advising customers they need this extra licence.

And indeed, I'm surprised that that industry didn't see the ramifications of such broad language and majorly lobby against the legislation.

I've got parents that winter down in Florida. This is certainly the first I've heard of it. I'll make sure to inform them. Thanks for the heads up. There are going to be a lot of people that this affects. Looks like it will cost $25 plus you have to have passport photos taken as well for it to be processed.

What do I need to obtain an IDP?
You can only apply for an IDP if you are 18 years of age or older and hold a valid Canadian provincial driver's license. An IDP cannot be issued for learner's permits, provisional or suspended licenses and any type of vehicle not presently covered by the same provincial driver's license. Additionally, you will require:

Two passport-sized photos. NOTE - computer generated scanned images are not accepted. At CAA South Central Ontario Stores, black-and-white or colour photos are available for $9.50 (member price) or $12.50 (non-member price); taxes not included and prices subject to change. One picture is attached to the IDP, the other is attached to the application form;
An IDP payment of $25. This fee can be paid by cash, debit, Visa, MasterCard or American Express;
Signed and completed IDP application form. These forms can be completed in person at any CAA store
Mailed Applications: Please provide a valid email address to be used if we need to contact you.
If you are unable to visit a CAA Store, you may print out a copy of the application form and, once it is completed and signed, mail it to your local CAA Store along with your passport-sized photos, fee payment (credit card payment only, if applying by mail) and a photocopy of the front and back of your valid Canadian provincial driver's license.

If applying by mail, please be aware that CAA prefers to send IDPs by registered mail, thus an additional charge of $6.75 for Canadian addresses or $13.70 for international addresses may be added (prices subject to change).

Here is the link to the form you must fill out: http://www.caa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IDP-en.pdf

I just got back yesterday and rented a car before and after a cruise. Did not get asked for anything.

We just emailed our TA and she confirmed they received this info this week.

My parents are driving down next week. I hope they can get one in time...My DH will also have to get one before we leave.:scared::headache:

Anyone know if you can get one actually in the CAA office? i.e. processed while you wait.

Anyone know if you can get one actually in the CAA office? i.e. processed while you wait.

Well I'll let you know tomorrow because we leave next Friday so we're going to need to go get it.
This really annoys me. There is NO purpose to it. The license is already in English and has been acceptable for decades. All of a sudden this is a matter of importance? I don't think my eyes can roll any further into my head.

Passport renewals are going through the roof, extra insurance to travel out of country, passport photos, and now an International Driving Permit to translate something from English to English? You have to be kidding me.

This should make things just a little bit crazy at the car rental counters, don't you think?

Anyone see anything mentioned when they check their reservations? I would think the major rental firms will have alerts that pop up advising customers they need this extra licence.

And indeed, I'm surprised that that industry didn't see the ramifications of such broad language and majorly lobby against the legislation.

Yep, if car rental places have to start enforcing this it certainly will be crazy! :upsidedow
You know how stressed people get at those counters now already! I can't imagine how this is going to go down if people start getting refused!! popcorn::

Well I'll let you know tomorrow because we leave next Friday so we're going to need to go get it.
This really annoys me. There is NO purpose to it. The license is already in English and has been acceptable for decades. All of a sudden this is a matter of importance? I don't think my eyes can roll any further into my head.

Passport renewals are going through the roof, extra insurance to travel out of country, passport photos, and now an International Driving Permit to translate something from English to English? You have to be kidding me.

Maybe you could let us know :goodvibes
I guess we'd better get one just incase.
Anyone know if it's just Florida?

That's just ridiculous.

As if the Florida's cops have never seen an Ontario driver's license. I am sure they have seen more of those than a driver's license from Montana.

I can understand it for driver's licences that one can't read but come on...

What the heck?!?!? That is just nuts! PLEASE anyone who is going down in the next few weeks post back and relate your experience, if any, with this!!! I want to know if the rental counters are enforcing this

Maybe you could let us know :goodvibes
I guess we'd better get one just incase.
Anyone know if it's just Florida?

I will let you know for sure. There's nothing on my local CAA website, but it's still pretty new so I am going to go in and stay until they look into for me. I'll report back:)

I will let you know for sure. There's nothing on my local CAA website, but it's still pretty new so I am going to go in and stay until they look into for me. I'll report back:)

Thanks. :goodvibes
It's expensive here too. Only 5.50 in the UK, which is about $8.50. CAA is $25. And they only last a year? Surely they should at least last the length of your driving license?

Thanks. :goodvibes
It's expensive here too. Only 5.50 in the UK, which is about $8.50. CAA is $25. And they only last a year? Surely they should at least last the length of your driving license?

Yep. Plus the cost of two passport photos. Plus double the fees if both you and your partner need one and an extra special fee if you want to do it by mail instead of in office:crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter