• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HBO's "Game of Thrones" in 2011

I'm very angry that they killed the wolf at the end of the last episode. Ned Stark needs to stop being such a panzy.

They said the series was going to stay very "true" to the books. He killed the wolf in the book so it only makes sense he did it on the show. (The wolf looked just like our dog so it was hard to watch - I believe it was played by a siberian husky - most white/gray "wolfs" on tv are actually played by huskies).

I agree with everyone else that each episode is to short. I absolutely love it!!!

Loving the series and very tempted to pick up the books. Worried that it will ruin the enjoyment of the series, knowing what comes next. They say it stays very true to the books.

I am reading the books again as the show is running. The show is very true to the book, right down to the dialog. For example, the scene where Tyrion smacks Joffrey, followed by him ordering his breakfast - the dialog was almost word for word from the book.

I think the casting so far is spot on. It will be interesting to see who they get to play Gregor Clegane or the Knight of Flowers or Stannis Baratheon. I think the kid playing Joffrey has that character down pat, as does the actor playing Viserys Targeryon. I am not sure about the little girl playing Arya...that will have to wait until after she starts her lessons with Florio.

It took me a while to realize it but the actor playing Joffrey was in Batman Begins. Batman gives him one of his tools, then later Rachel helps rescue him when town starts going crazy.

Love this show!!!!! Just started watching it on HBO on demand last night. I was just going to watch the first episode, but when it ended with that shove out the window :scared1: I had to watch the second one right away! :laughing:

Loving the series and very tempted to pick up the books. Worried that it will ruin the enjoyment of the series, knowing what comes next. They say it stays very true to the books.

I just read a summary of the book and it didn't ruin it for me. It only makes me excited to see how HBO will put it together on screen.

After all of the hype, I DVR'd the first episode & I'm completely hooked on the series. Not sure if I'll read the books (it's always hard to read a book after having watched it on tv.)

The episodes definitely do not seem long enough (it seems more like 30 minutes than an hour.)

I'm super addicted to the series, now. I dug out my Game of Thrones novel to try to read it now that I get the characters better. I never even got through the first couple of chapters when I started reading the first time because I got lost in all the characters :)

Can't wait till next Sunday! :banana:

The casting has been good. I've seen bits and pieces of the guy who plays Littlefinger and I think he's going to be the best of the bunch.

It's good we finally got to see a little more of the wolves in this episode, although Greywind, Ghost and Shaggy Dog have been noticably absent (I did see Ghost in a group scene, but only for a second).

Things I think the series could do some more work on:

Does anyone who is not familiar with the books know that there is a difference between Rob Stark and Theon Greyjoy? Does anyone even know Theon's there? If so, they certainly don't know why he's hanging around or what his relationship is to anyone else.

Where the heck is Rickon? At least he got a mention in this episode.

Jamie is a knight. He is the premiere knight of the realm. He will kick your behind one handed. It's one reason why his deplorable actions have such impact. From watching the series, he appears to be just a layabout brother to the queen who follows her around for no reason.

Jamie is a knight. He is the premiere knight of the realm. He will kick your behind one handed. It's one reason why his deplorable actions have such impact. From watching the series, he appears to be just a layabout brother to the queen who follows her around for no reason.

They did establish that Jamie is known as the "Kingslayer" and that he was the one to actually kill the former King. He also showed, IMO, how ruthless he can be by throwing a child out of a tower window. Overall, I know he isn't just the Queen's icky twin, and I knew nothing about the books when I started watching the HBO series...

The casting has been good. I've seen bits and pieces of the guy who plays Littlefinger and I think he's going to be the best of the bunch.

It's good we finally got to see a little more of the wolves in this episode, although Greywind, Ghost and Shaggy Dog have been noticably absent (I did see Ghost in a group scene, but only for a second).

Things I think the series could do some more work on:

Does anyone who is not familiar with the books know that there is a difference between Rob Stark and Theon Greyjoy? Does anyone even know Theon's there? If so, they certainly don't know why he's hanging around or what his relationship is to anyone else.

Where the heck is Rickon? At least he got a mention in this episode.

Haven't seen the Littlefinger casting, but I agree w/ your other thoughts.

I was disappointed in the 1st episode that the wolves weren't more front & center in the story, so much symbolism there.

I know it's not possible, because it would take dozens & dozens of episodes to cover book one alone, but we're also missing a lot about the people crucial to Winterfell, Mikken, Luwin, Nan, Hodor, etc.

We enjoyed the recent episode more than the premiere...the first 2 shows were a little too dark for me.

I looked on my library's web catalog and could only find what I thought was the 2nd book. When I checked the stacks Game of Thrones was there! Just in time b/c DH just finished his other book. I'll download the ePub on to my Nook and he can have the hardcover. I can't wait to read it!

We enjoyed the recent episode more than the premiere...the first 2 shows were a little too dark for me.

Okay, I wasn't going to comment again today but I almost spit out my pop reading this. Hellokitty, I'm assuming you haven't read the books. Hint: Things do not get brighter.

Okay, I wasn't going to comment again today but I almost spit out my pop reading this. Hellokitty, I'm assuming you haven't read the books. Hint: Things do not get brighter.

an off note.
did any of you read a series about thomas covenant? a leper who went to a nother "world".
talk about things not getting brighter :scared1:

that series was one dire/despair/event after another

but still a good read :rolleyes1

OH :surfweb: ^ ^ on topic,, I was wondering about the dogs.... where are the rest of them?

an off note.
did any of you read a series about thomas covenant? a leper who went to a nother "world".

I started reading the Thomas Covenant series when I was in college but I just could not get thru it, mainly because I did not like the character of Covenant. He was such an SOB.

an off note.

OH :surfweb: ^ ^ on topic,, I was wondering about the dogs.... where are the rest of them?

Yes, that was one of my favorite series!

I started reading the Thomas Covenant series when I was in college but I just could not get thru it, mainly because I did not like the character of Covenant. He was such an SOB.

You should try it again as an adult. Covenant is just a poor tortured soul. I liked him better when I read the book as an adult than I did when I was a teenager.

I've not read the books and hadn't heard of the series until my mom recommended it last week. After reading this thread and following the links posted, we turned HBO back on yesterday. I watched the first 2 episodes On Demand and most of the behind the scenes clips HBO On Demand had. It helped a lot, particularly learning about the different families/houses.

I really loved it and I'm going to download the book tonight. I typically don't like to read the books after seeing the movies (or vice versa) but it sounds amazing and I think it will help to fill in some of the gaps.

Is this the final book coming out this summer?

Without knowing how the story progresses beyond the first 2 episodes, so far I'm intrigued by all of the characters, but particularly Drogo and Daenerys, Jon Snow and Arya.

Another question, in the behind the scenes clip of the Baratheons (unless I misunderstood) they said the king had 2 brothers. They talked about Renly but who is the other brother? If they said I missed it.

You mean the wolves? In this book/miniseries? Well, with the exception of Nymeria (who was driven off) and Lady (who is dead) the others are wherever their owners are. Greywind (Rob), Summer (Bran's as yet unnamed wolf), and Shaggy Dog (Rickon) are all at Winterfell. You can hear them howling in the scene just before Bran gets attacked. Ghost (John) is on his way to the Wall.

bengalbelle said:
Is this the final book coming out this summer?

No, a book is coming out this summer. It is, by no means, the last. There is still a lot of time for Mr. Martin to "pull a Jordan", as it has become known, and die before he finishes his epic fantasy series.

Another question, in the behind the scenes clip of the Baratheons (unless I misunderstood) they said the king had 2 brothers. They talked about Renly but who is the other brother? If they said I missed it.

The other brother is Stannis. He is Ser-Not-Appearing-In-This-Picture. He's a little nuts. Well, they all are, really, but as the Baratheon clan goes, he's probably the least sane.

Is anyone slightly annoyed that they are going to cover the entire first book with the first season? Not that it would need to be drawn out, but there are moments when I think the shows move too fast through a book. Iirc, this series is set for 7 seasons (if it keeps going) and only 4 or 5 are written fully? just a thought. Its a great show though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter