HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy..quite a bit of posting to catch up on...:eek: LOL...

Mousemommy I must have missed your post about noise on the courtyard side of SL...:confused3 I am always missing stuff..LOL.. Whenever we stay in SL we always request pool view..just a personal preference..and even when the movies were moved over to that pool area..we never heard a thing in the room... I dont think afternoon activity or general midday hustle bustle could be heard either... I will say tho my niece who was along on one of our trips last year loved sitting on the balcony watching the movie!

We didn't think the courtyard side was noisy in general, either. Our dear friend, JungleCruiser posted that she noticed an uptick in noise level with the activities and movies, but I think she meant while on the balcony - not in the room.

I totally agree :thumbsup2 ...wallpaper ..victorian touches and details...lets keep our fingers crossed! To me anything will be better than the current bedding... :upsidedow

BTW..are you posting about now!!!??? :)

Dont want to forget to say..thanks for those links..and for the info on the units at the new VGF... :goodvibes With that penguin fountain looks like they are leaning more towards the Mary Poppins theming than the Alice themeing...?? Interesting..since that new kiddie splash area is all Alice!???

We missed each other by that much!!;) Did you notice my question about the photos of VGF and Poly looking as though there is no bed covering at all? Just triple sheeting? I hope that is just for the viewing/model, and not the end product. Not very luxurious, if it is, I would have to say I'd much prefer a duvet!:laughing:

I wondered about the penguin fountain, Poppins didn't even occur to me! Thanks! Hmmm...maybe they are just making a distinction between the VGF and the main resort?

I think that the refurbs will begin in January ..so hopefully SL will be all done by your trip time!

I hope so, it would be nice to have most of it done by next summer.

Oh that Alice decor...:lovestruc So nice..We have seen a few changes in decor as wehave been staying at the GF almost since it has opened..and that has always been our fave!

Cool! I didn't realize you had been staying there so long, I'll bet you have seen some changes.

Granny Two Weeks!!!!!! :dance3: The mickey touches..or even disney touches really make the decor all the more special...I love the wall paper in the bathroom area..with the characters mixed into the pattern! :earsboy:

We love that paper, too - and the blue pattern that looks like tufted cloth. Both pretty, but of course, the character pattern is my fave.:cutie:

Mickeynut I was thinking...what wrongh with planning more Disney trips anyway!! ;) Interesting thoughts on the Poly refurb.. I will have to see it in person eventually as DD wants to try it....:cutie: We shall see... I am still thinking more about that WL/GF split...

So much speculation on the new refurbs and decor...I am excited to see what will be...I have mentioned that the small lobby area for the "pool" aka back elevator to RPC was redone on out last trip...and if that is any indication of the new color palette..it was very pretty..the bottom of the wall was done in a soft green with a pretty white lacy flowery pattern on it..and the top ..also patterend was a very pretty blue ( I happen to be a fan of blue! ;) ) lol..It wasnt exactly sky blue..but close to it..sort of aquaish sky blue..LOL...the blue was much brighter that the green..it was devided by a chair railing...that was painted white...it had a bright airy look..one of the things I think that we all like about the GF in general...

Almost forgot to say..I am packed..ready to go..repacked some also..since a friend that is there now told me it is pretty warm and humid!

Have a super Sunday fellow GF fans!!! :flower3:

I added comments in red, much easier! lol Thanks for reminding us of the pool elevator refurb - those colors sound lovely, I hope they go with something similar in the rooms.:thumbsup2 Is the blue more of a Tiffany blue, or closer to slate? Blue seems to be the color of choice in hotel decorating right now!

It doesn't look like I can lose out with either marina or courtyard view. :goodvibes

Maybe I'll just let the pixie dust fall where it shall and be surprised with a view. :wizard:

You really can't lose, both views are so pretty. Maybe make your requests for something else, like non-dormer (or, dormer, if you like!) or upper floor, etc.

I added comments in red, much easier! lol Thanks for reminding us of the pool elevator refurb - those colors sound lovely, I hope they go with something similar in the rooms.:thumbsup2 Is the blue more of a Tiffany blue, or closer to slate? Blue seems to be the color of choice in hotel decorating right now!

You really can't lose, both views are so pretty. Maybe make your requests for something else, like non-dormer (or, dormer, if you like!) or upper floor, etc.

I would like a non-dormer and would prefer high floor so that's what I'll probably request. :goodvibes

It doesn't look like I can lose out with either marina or courtyard view. :goodvibes

Maybe I'll just let the pixie dust fall where it shall and be surprised with a view. :wizard:

:thumbsup2

subbing to this thread as we are now VGF owners and love hearing everything Grand!

:goodvibes Congratualtions! Did you plan your first stay yet??

k&a&c'smom Triple sheeting but no duvet??? :faint: I'm not sure I like that idea... Lets hope thats just in the model... I am going to have to plan a trip for after the renovations just to see for myself!!?? LOL...;)

I edited before I noticed your posts, there is now an extra link to the DIS blog photos.:)

Thanks for that other link :).

Mickeynut I was thinking...whats wronng with planning more Disney trips anyway!! ;) Interesting thoughts on the Poly refurb.. I will have to see it in person eventually as DD wants to try it....:cutie: We shall see... I am still thinking more about that WL/GF split...

Almost forgot to say..I am packed..ready to go..repacked some also..since a friend that is there now told me it is pretty warm and humid!

Have a super Sunday fellow GF fans!!! :flower3:

I can't think of one thing wrong with planning more trips :goodvibes. You should listen to your DD and try the Poly ::yes::.....it's an amazing resort. BUT.....a WL/GF split would also be a great trip......so I guess there's just one way to solve that......book 2 trips :thumbsup2.

Glad you're all packed and ready to go......you're going to have a great time :goodvibes.

subbing to this thread as we are now VGF owners and love hearing everything Grand!

Welcome to the GF thread :welcome:.

Congrats on becoming VGF owners :). The GF is a great resort and I'm sure you will have many magical trips :wizard:.

I am going to have to plan a trip for after the renovations just to see for myself!!?? LOL...;)

If I know you as well as I think I do, you probably already have a trip in the making :rotfl::rotfl:.

It's all good Candace. On one side is the pool, which we loved so I could watch the family as my little guy napped, and then there are the boats docked in the marina. :lovestruc

My long time DIS friends will laugh, as it is easy to sidetrack me with room details! (BCV23 and johnsonet, I'm looking at you! lol)
:rotfl: I love love love the Victorian theme, I will adit the new Poly rooms did grow on me...BUT no waterfall in the lobby...ugh..I hope the GF always maintains its "fancy" feel and doesn't go generic as well.
pas[/B] We are big fans of SL in the summertime too! Cant beat that location..especially if you are enjoying some pool time... Looks like you have a few trips coming up! How nice!
We have a mini trip to the Poly coming in December, and then next summer. We get two rooms (connecting) since we are a family of 7. Being right next to the main building was invaluable, but it was "quieter" than the main lobby which we loved!!!!!!!!!
Hey, you!:hug: Good to "see" you! I'm sorry I didn't make it to the RC thread, I've been busy posting photos.:rotfl:

SL does rock, we really enjoy it. It has gotten harder to snag it with a discount, though, we rarely book far enough out. YAY for your great rate at Poly.:cheer2:
:hug: No worries and definitely no apologies. I appreciate all you do for us GF Groupies! I really think my kiddos will love the pools and new splash area.

SO EXCITED!!!!! :cool1: It is official. Permits were filed yesterday for the room refurbs at the Grand. All the buildings were listed on the permit filing post on the other forum website but I have not had time to follow the permit link to read the permits myself. I hope to have time tomorrow unless one of you guys beat me to it :goodvibes I found it over on the "magic" website under the rumors and news board and the WDW Permits thread....first post scrolling down to Oct 17. YAY!!!
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool1:
LOL on the change :laughing:. The WL is an awesome resort, but so is the GF.....I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip :goodvibes.
I am sure there will be a change or two from now until next August...but I have a feeling Sugarloaf for my 40th will be :cloud9:

Mousemommy, I like the marina view unless I'm in the lodge tower rooms, now called deluxe. You can see Wishes from your balcony in some of the marina view rooms, but not all of them. You can't see the castle, but have a great view of Wishes since they are behind the castle. I liked the courtyard view much better before the pool renovations. Never noticed any noise from the pool area when in the room, not even when there was a wedding out there and very crowded one night.

BlueSkies, The YC and BWI both had triple sheeting and no duvet. The only way you could tell that you got turndown was the chocolates (YC) or taffy (BWI) on the pillow. :lmao: If they do that at the Grand, and it looks like they will, you better take extra warm pj's, and maybe even a down parka. :lmao: There is a blanket in between the sheets, but it wasn't very warm. I loved the Alice bedspreads, but I do not like the ones they have now...too heavy and stiff.

Have a great trip. Looking forward to your review when you get back.

k&a&c'smom, Thanks for posting the link to the VGF pics. It does look very pretty.

I feel like such a fish out of water .. I have stayed at every other hotel.. So I have a pretty good feel for the area.. The Grand is hard to wrap my brain around. Is SL close to the main building? Is it a quick walk from the lobby?
The reason I usually like a deluxe is it being all in one building.. February will be cold (for us) and I just wonder what it will be like walking at night.

Also, I am guessing if in SL, you can't go to the RP level in the main building?

I feel like such a fish out of water .. I have stayed at every other hotel.. So I have a pretty good feel for the area.. The Grand is hard to wrap my brain around. Is SL close to the main building? Is it a quick walk from the lobby?
The reason I usually like a deluxe is it being all in one building.. February will be cold (for us) and I just wonder what it will be like walking at night.

Also, I am guessing if in SL, you can't go to the RP level in the main building?

Sugarloaf is right next door to the main building. A quick less than 2 minute walk. SL peeps cannot use the RPC lounge. :goodvibes

I am sure there will be a change or two from now until next August...but I have a feeling Sugarloaf for my 40th will be :cloud9:

I agree.....the GF is a great place to celebrate a 40th birthday :wizard:.

As mousemommy1 said, SL is very close to the main building as it's right next door. SL guests are not able to access the RPC lounge. It used to be that RPC guests had access to the SL lounge, but from what I've read lately, that is no longer the case with the new system.

It seems odd to me that RPC people cannot visit the SL lounge....not that many of them would, tho! :) The RPC lounge is just too much of a draw! :cloud9:

I too feel that not using duvets, even with the triple-sheeting, may not be to my liking...and LOL on the suggestion to bring a parka, Maxie! :rotfl2: I think I remember those stiff comforters from last time...

We had the opportunity to stay in a one bedroom villa lake view this weekend (test stay). All I have to say is that the GF villas are spectacular! The theming is Mary Poppins. The room was pristine. The shower was huge with a rainfall head and also a hand held shower head. Loved the TV in the mirror by the bubble tub. I watched "Sweet Home Alabama" while enjoying my bath. But my favorite part was the bubble tub that was in a separate room from the shower area. My 15 year old son fit perfectly in the pull down bed that came out of the entertainment center (similar to the beds at Alligator Bayou POR). They really outdid themselves with this resort. I was truly impressed. I also appreciated how the parking lot was so much closer than the resort's self parking.

Loved loved loved it! I can't wait to stay again if I ever get the chance..

I checked in today at 3 with Mama and Daddy! We're in big pine on the fourth floor and overlooking the big pool and all the beauty of the buildings. They put Mama and Daddy in a room right next to the elevator. I'm hoping they can't hear it! My bedspread, which I was prepared to hate was just a beautiful white thick patterned sheet over a blanket and top sheet. There's a plain blue spread across the bottom of the bed.

I had brought excellent organic Sumatra coffee grounds to use with our pot but the pot is now a two cuisinart mug system that uses round pods. Joffry's coffee so that should be nice. We ate at the cafe then stolled the stores. When we checked in, magic bands were down. I wonder if that was everywhere.....like fast pass reservations? They're working now. And I have a nice tall refrigerator! We got a gallon of spring water.

A CM here gave us a fourth fast pass for tomorrow so we're all set!

k&a&c'smom Triple sheeting but no duvet??? :faint: I'm not sure I like that idea... Lets hope thats just in the model... I am going to have to plan a trip for after the renovations just to see for myself!!?? LOL...;)

I know! Yikes, I was hoping it was only for the models, but sounds like it is going to be triple sheeting only.

BlueSkies, The YC and BWI both had triple sheeting and no duvet. The only way you could tell that you got turndown was the chocolates (YC) or taffy (BWI) on the pillow. :lmao: If they do that at the Grand, and it looks like they will, you better take extra warm pj's, and maybe even a down parka. :lmao: There is a blanket in between the sheets, but it wasn't very warm. I loved the Alice bedspreads, but I do not like the ones they have now...too heavy and stiff.

Have a great trip. Looking forward to your review when you get back.

k&a&c'smom, Thanks for posting the link to the VGF pics. It does look very pretty.

:scared1: I hoped I was wrong. Sheesh. When we went from the GF to PBH in April, there was a noticeable difference in luxury vis à vis the bedding - now, it will be even less luxurious!:scared: I can't imagine what they are thinking.:confused:

You are welcome about the photo links.:flower3:

It seems odd to me that RPC people cannot visit the SL lounge....not that many of them would, tho! :) The RPC lounge is just too much of a draw! :cloud9:

I too feel that not using duvets, even with the triple-sheeting, may not be to my liking...and LOL on the suggestion to bring a parka, Maxie! :rotfl2: I think I remember those stiff comforters from last time...

I admit, we have never been fans of the current spreads! I thought the duvet solution would be my least-liked option...:headache:

I checked in today at 3 with Mama and Daddy! We're in big pine on the fourth floor and overlooking the big pool and all the beauty of the buildings. They put Mama and Daddy in a room right next to the elevator. I'm hoping they can't hear it! My bedspread, which I was prepared to hate was just a beautiful white thick patterned sheet over a blanket and top sheet. There's a plain blue spread across the bottom of the bed.

:scared1: This seems to seal the deal. Is there an actual throw or spread at the end of the bed (something you can use to cover up with), or simply a bed "scarf" or runner?

I had brought excellent organic Sumatra coffee grounds to use with our pot but the pot is now a two cuisinart mug system that uses round pods. Joffry's coffee so that should be nice. We ate at the cafe then stolled the stores. When we checked in, magic bands were down. I wonder if that was everywhere.....like fast pass reservations? They're working now. And I have a nice tall refrigerator! We got a gallon of spring water.

A CM here gave us a fourth fast pass for tomorrow so we're all set!

Nice you were given an extra FP, sorry there were issues. The coffee maker has been as you describe for a while now, sorry you won't get to use your organic coffee.

Have a Grand vacation.pixiedust:

:rotfl: I love love love the Victorian theme, I will adit the new Poly rooms did grow on me...BUT no waterfall in the lobby...ugh..I hope the GF always maintains its "fancy" feel and doesn't go generic as well.

We have a mini trip to the Poly coming in December, and then next summer. We get two rooms (connecting) since we are a family of 7. Being right next to the main building was invaluable, but it was "quieter" than the main lobby which we loved!!!!!!!!!

:hug: No worries and definitely no apologies. I appreciate all you do for us GF Groupies! I really think my kiddos will love the pools and new splash area.

LOL - I'm sure there will be "a change or two" as well.;) Sounds like you have several fun trips planned for the coming months! I think you and the kids will enjoy the pools and splash area; the kids will have fun and you will enjoy watching them.:cutie:

We had the opportunity to stay in a one bedroom villa lake view this weekend (test stay). All I have to say is that the GF villas are spectacular! The theming is Mary Poppins. The room was pristine. The shower was huge with a rainfall head and also a hand held shower head. Loved the TV in the mirror by the bubble tub. I watched "Sweet Home Alabama" while enjoying my bath. But my favorite part was the bubble tub that was in a separate room from the shower area. My 15 year old son fit perfectly in the pull down bed that came out of the entertainment center (similar to the beds at Alligator Bayou POR). They really outdid themselves with this resort. I was truly impressed. I also appreciated how the parking lot was so much closer than the resort's self parking.

Cool! Thanks for the review, the VGF looks very nice.:wizard:

I agree.....there's nothing quite like RPC :cloud9:.

I'm not a fan of no duvet either :sad2:. With Maxie's suggestion of a parka, I might be in trouble :rotfl::rotfl:.

Thanks for your review :). I'm hoping to stay in one of the villas some day......they look absolutely beautiful in pics, so I can only imagine how they look in person :goodvibes.

Sounds like you have a nice view :wizard:. We loved our stay in BPK. Hope you have a great time at the Grand.

Is there an actual throw or spread at the end of the bed (something you can use to cover up with), or simply a bed "scarf" or runner?

I'd like to know this as well ;).

oh, goodness, if they end up with the same set up that BC has, we were FREEZING. it was as k&a&c'smom described... a sheet, then two sheets on either side of a thin blanket. we had 5 nights there and could not get warm and it was AUGUST! we ended up getting extra blankets and that helped a bit. anyway, yuck, if they get the same as BC, i will be SO disappointed in the bedding, it is inadequate for a moderate and a disgrace for a deluxe. :headache:

oh, goodness, if they end up with the same set up that BC has, we were FREEZING. it was as k&a&c'smom described... a sheet, then two sheets on either side of a thin blanket. we had 5 nights there and could not get warm and it was AUGUST! we ended up getting extra blankets and that helped a bit. anyway, yuck, if they get the same as BC, i will be SO disappointed in the bedding, it is inadequate for a moderate and a disgrace for a deluxe. :headache:

I always sleep with some type of blanket, so this will really be an adjustment for me :rolleyes1.

The blue throw is just a splash of color. A pretend throw actually.

That's not good.....at least not for me :sad2:.

This "pretend throw" thing seems to be a trend these days....I believe they had them at the YC on our visit last April. We've even had them at Marriotts. :confused3 In that situation, I also had to ask for a blanket (and it was in July)!

Well since we stay at BLT often I have experience with cold nights due to sleeper sofa not having a comforter either.
1. I bring my Vera Bradley stadium blanket with me for extra warmth.

2. When I left Mco in April at 6am it was so cold I spent $20 on a thin fleece blanket for dd and I for that day for travel home. I did bring it with me for the next few trips and even though thin it does help to keep warmth in and is so thin fits in suitcase fine.

3. Between DTD, the resorts and the parks there will be Pwp to get a throw. I have purchased them and used it on my trip then repackage it and take home as a souvenir.

After reading this I am definitely bringing my stadium vera. Dh keeps room COLD:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter