HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO EXCITED!!!!! :cool1: It is official. Permits were filed yesterday for the room refurbs at the Grand. All the buildings were listed on the permit filing post on the other forum website but I have not had time to follow the permit link to read the permits myself. I hope to have time tomorrow unless one of you guys beat me to it :goodvibes I found it over on the "magic" website under the rumors and news board and the WDW Permits thread....first post scrolling down to Oct 17. YAY!!!

SO EXCITED!!!!! :cool1: It is official. Permits were filed yesterday for the room refurbs at the Grand. All the buildings were listed on the permit filing post on the other forum website but I have not had time to follow the permit link to read the permits myself. I hope to have time tomorrow unless one of you guys beat me to it :goodvibes I found it over on the "magic" website under the rumors and news board and the WDW Permits thread....first post scrolling down to Oct 17. YAY!!!

Wow, I can't wait to see what they will do to the rooms!!

Cool! Looking at the permits and drawings right now - but I'm not good at deciphering these things.:laughing:

ETA: Looks like it is the permit and drawings of the location of each building. I don't see any room descriptions, but as I said, I'm terrible at it.:teeth:

ETA: LOL - it's funny that on several of the diagrams, Narcoossee's is called "Seafood Lounge Bldg." and the Summerhouse is the "Snack Bar Bldg."!

I went and peeked at the permits. Very interesting that permits were also filed yesterday for room rehabs at Boardwalk Inn, Coronado Springs, and Yacht Club. The permits for these resorts describe the resort in whole while the GF permits show a separate page filed for each building. I wonder if this will be a more extensive rehab as it also mentions it lasting thru April 2015. Also interesting is that Beach Club was rehabbed before Yacht Club last time....was it not? But I saw no mention of a Beach Club room rehab filing. :scratchin

Where are these permits? I work in construction and would like to read any permits or plans

I went and peeked at the permits. Very interesting that permits were also filed yesterday for room rehabs at Boardwalk Inn, Coronado Springs, and Yacht Club. The permits for these resorts describe the resort in whole while the GF permits show a separate page filed for each building. I wonder if this will be a more extensive rehab as it also mentions it lasting thru April 2015. Also interesting is that Beach Club was rehabbed before Yacht Club last time....was it not? But I saw no mention of a Beach Club room rehab filing. :scratchin

Yeah, and it wasn't that long ago for Y&BC!:confused: Same time as the BWI refurb, or close to it. I wonder why YC & BWI are already doing another room renovation? As you say, maybe it is a less extensive rehab, new carpeting or something?

I noticed the permit for BWI says the expiration is 9/27/2014 - but the YC permit says its expiration is 9/27/2013! Kind of hard to do when you sign it on 10/17/2013!:laughing:

ETA: DisneyDmbNut, here is the link.

Thanks! Wonder why they need surveys for room rehabs.. But usually NOC's can be vague

Thanks! Wonder why they need surveys for room rehabs.. But usually NOC's can be vague

I don't think they needed a survey, I think they provided an existing survey for the legal description. ?? I don't know that, just guessing from reading the documents - the way they are worded show they were drawn quite some time ago.

I don't think they needed a survey, I think they provided an existing survey for the legal description. ?? I don't know that, just guessing from reading the documents - the way they are worded show they were drawn quite some time ago.

Weird.. We never provide a survey for a NOC.. A NOC is just a court recording that work is being done so people who work under that notice can legally notify the owner they are entitled to payment.

PCL is a large construction company in Florida.. They do schools, hotels..so they must be plaiting something large..not just carpet or paint. More structural

We booked our trip today! We will be at the GF 5/31-6/7. This will be my 3 nieces first trip to WDW and we are so excited to get to experience it with them! I am sure I will have lots of questions in the coming months- thanks for all the help so far

How exciting.....you're going to love the GF....it's a great place for your 3 nieces first trip princess:.

We are staying in the villas and can't wait. No, we haven't purchased VGF. We have quite a few points and are probably done buying points unless we sell some of our other contracts. I just wish the VGF and villas at the Polynesian (do they have a name yet?) were built earlier.

mickeynut1, :wave2: Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sorry you needed to move your trip a bit but now you get to do more planning! :cool1: Have fun.

The villas look beautiful. I can't wait to hear all about your stay when you return.....and hopefully you'll have some pics to share ;). Thanks about my trip, but I'm ok with pushing it back as I'm getting excited to be back at the Grand in March :goodvibes.

So, what is everyone's favorite Sugarloaf view -- marina or courtyard? And why?

We had a marina view and it was great. I loved going out on the balcony early in the morning.....it was so peaceful :cloud9:. With that said, I'm sure courtyard view is just as nice.

Oh, I would like to hear this too...can you see the monorail from SL?

We were able to see a little stretch of the monorail from our SL room :goodvibes.

mickeynut - thanks about the photos!

It is hard to try new resorts when you want to stay at your old favorite, which is why we started doing split stays. New resort for a couple days first, then on to the one we love. Can't blame you for wanting to stick with the MK area, we love the whole MK aura.

You're welcome....they are great pics :). My DH really isn't into splits as he likes to "settle" in once we get there. Yeah, there's something about the MK area that gets me too.

Well I managed to make a change to Sugarloaf anyway....:rotfl2: from WL CL...from June to August.. I have a quick Dec. trip and we will be at Poly at a great rate..no changes there...no changes there, :goodvibes Hi back at ya :hug:

LOL on the change :laughing:. The WL is an awesome resort, but so is the GF.....I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip :goodvibes.

Mickeynut Two days in a row!! :chat: We sure do have a lot to talk about!!! LOL..Any more conversations and I don't know how many trips we will end up booking for next year...:blush: LOL..

Yes, we do ::yes::. And I agree.....if we keep chatting so often, there's no telling just how many trips we'll plan :rotfl:.

Thanks for posting this :flower3:.

ETA: Looks like it is the permit and drawings of the location of each building. I don't see any room descriptions, but as I said, I'm terrible at it.:teeth:

I didn't either :confused3.

I didn't see permits for those other resorts. Is there a different link for those?? It is strange that there are permits for the YC and not BC as it has been mentioned that refurbs are supposed to begin at the BC soon, starting with the CL lounge/floor...with the YC getting refurbs once the BC is done. And I didn't think BWI was done that long ago :confused:.

I wonder why YC & BWI are already doing another room renovation? As you say, maybe it is a less extensive rehab, new carpeting or something?

From what I've been reading here on the boards, the BC lounge is supposed to be a total refurb with an expansion :confused3.

Weird.. We never provide a survey for a NOC.. A NOC is just a court recording that work is being done so people who work under that notice can legally notify the owner they are entitled to payment.

PCL is a large construction company in Florida.. They do schools, hotels..so they must be plaiting something large..not just carpet or paint. More structural

I was simply going by the wording in the permit:

"...in accordance with FL statutes...the following information is provided..."

1. Description of property (legal description of the property and street address, if available)
See attached legal description
"

I'm not saying you are wrong, I have no idea, that is what I assumed by the wording. It could be they intend to rearrange structural elements of the closet, dressing area, etc. but the YC, BWI and CSR permits are the same - adding a legal description. I assumed that meant all FL permits had to add it, but maybe they are doing structural work, too. If so, yikes! All those resorts in major rehab mode!!:scared:

You're welcome....they are great pics :). My DH really isn't into splits as he likes to "settle" in once we get there. Yeah, there's something about the MK area that gets me too.

I didn't see permits for those other resorts. Is there a different link for those?? It is strange that there are permits for the YC and not BC as it has been mentioned that refurbs are supposed to begin at the BC soon, starting with the CL lounge/floor...with the YC getting refurbs once the BC is done. And I didn't think BWI was done that long ago :confused:.

From what I've been reading here on the boards, the BC lounge is supposed to be a total refurb with an expansion :confused3.

My DD agrees with your DH - she is over the whole split stay thing and prefers to just move in until the end of the trip.;)

I didn't give the links for the others, they are separate listings. Here is the YC, BWI and CSR permits.:)

Interesting about the BC lounge. They do need an expansion - I wonder if that is what they are doing with the YC lounge? ETA: Y&BC rooms were refurbed around the same time as the BWI rooms, so I'm surprised they plan another one already. GF is just now getting their refurb while the Epcot resorts are planning a second one! lol

Yeah, and it wasn't that long ago for Y&BC!:confused: Same time as the BWI refurb, or close to it. I wonder why YC & BWI are already doing another room renovation? As you say, maybe it is a less extensive rehab, new carpeting or something?

I noticed the permit for BWI says the expiration is 9/27/2014 - but the YC permit says its expiration is 9/27/2013! Kind of hard to do when you sign it on 10/17/2013!:laughing:

ETA: DisneyDmbNut, here is the link.

Too funny.....I noticed the same thing on the YC permit. Did you see on the CSR permit on the box noting the Filing Area and Project Name....the date says 08/15/08 ....What???? All of the other permits have dates from last week...10/15/13 I think. Very strange. I wish there was more info on exactly what was happening in the rooms but, oh well. At least it is off the rumor chain and into the watch mode to see when it will actually start:surfweb:

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. What do you know about the other two contractors? Mulligan is listed under the CSR and BWI permits and Wilsten Group under YC permit.

The last refurb for CSR was so extensive, I would guess that theirs is just a soft rehab. Did BWI and YC keep the same furniture in their last rehab? And GF--weren't some furniture items replaced while others stayed the same in their last refurb?

I may be in the minority here but I am crossing my fingers that the wallpaper and the bedspreads in the GF rooms go away with this refurb. I would love to see a more upscale look closer to the VGF style....which is BEAUTIFUL:cloud9: Would also like to see different furniture. I just don't think the current furniture finishes look Victorian. :duck: It looks like 1980s country without the little hearts or quilts adorning the soft goods. I preferred the soft goods from the previous décor over the current. I wish the feel and grandeur of the lobby and grounds could carryover into the guest rooms....sigh.

Too funny.....I noticed the same thing on the YC permit. Did you see on the CSR permit on the box noting the Filing Area and Project Name....the date says 08/15/08 ....What???? All of the other permits have dates from last week...10/15/13 I think. Very strange. I wish there was more info on exactly what was happening in the rooms but, oh well. At least it is off the rumor chain and into the watch mode to see when it will actually start:surfweb:

I missed that, I was less interested in CSR so I didn't look at it as closely as the others.:laughing: I, too, wish we had more details.

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. What do you know about the other two contractors? Mulligan is listed under the CSR and BWI permits and Wilsten Group under YC permit.

The last refurb for CSR was so extensive, I would guess that theirs is just a soft rehab. Did BWI and YC keep the same furniture in their last rehab? And GF--weren't some furniture items replaced while others stayed the same in their last refurb?

I may be in the minority here but I am crossing my fingers that the wallpaper and the bedspreads in the GF rooms go away with this refurb. I would love to see a more upscale look closer to the VGF style....which is BEAUTIFUL:cloud9: Would also like to see different furniture. I just don't think the current furniture finishes look Victorian. :duck: It looks like 1980s country without the little hearts or quilts adorning the soft goods. I preferred the soft goods from the previous décor over the current. I wish the feel and grandeur of the lobby and grounds could carryover into the guest rooms....sigh.

Y&BC kept the same furniture, but BWI swapped theirs out for darker tones, I think. At the Grand, they kept the beds but got different dressers.

I love the wallpaper, but the stuff in the dressing area and bath will probably go this time around. You are not in the minority on bedspreads, I am!:rotfl2: I don't care for these bedspreads, but am not a fan of the ubiquitous white duvet, and don't get me started on the "bed scarf"!:rolleyes2

I felt the beds were in keeping with a Victorian theme with the pineapple finials, as Victorians loved using fruits, birds, etc. Maybe not the lighter finish, but even that is possible, as Victorian bedrooms were lighter color schemes than their public rooms. I'm no expert, though, so you could be right.

I wouldn't mind if the rooms reflected the feel of the lobby, but the trend to make all the Disney rooms look like a generic mid-level hotel makes me sad. White duvets with a colored bed scarf - I see it in every Hampton or Holiday Inn we stop in on the road.~sigh~

Again, I'm in the minority.;)

I too am a big fan of the VGF style, but I have to say that I like the "fussy" blue Alice in Wonderland themed decor prior to the current decor a lot better than the current. The Alice theme was very go big or go home.

The current decor is just so meh to me, which is why it has been hard to embrace GF, but I am eager to see what they do with it! :goodvibes

I too am a big fan of the VGF style, but I have to say that I like the "fussy" blue Alice in Wonderland themed decor prior to the current decor a lot better than the current. The Alice theme was very go big or go home.

The current decor is just so meh to me, which is why it has been hard to embrace GF, but I am eager to see what they do with it! :goodvibes

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: "Go big or go home"! True.

We LOVED the old decor, especially the Alice theme but also the Floral and Cameo. Swan was not my fave, a little too much blue. After they switched to the current decor, I liked the bench and desk chair, along with the drapes and tone-on-tone bedroom wallpaper, but the bedspread seemed more like the old, flowery nylon spreads from when I was a kid! lol When you look at the GF spreads up close, the material is much nicer than the ones from my youth, but still...not my cup of tea.:teeth: Oh, and I HATE the bedskirt, what's up with that?

I love the wallpaper, but the stuff in the dressing area and bath will probably go this time around. You are not in the minority on bedspreads, I am!:rotfl2: I don't care for these bedspreads, but am not a fan of the ubiquitous white duvet, and don't get me started on the "bed scarf"!:rolleyes2

I felt the beds were in keeping with a Victorian theme with the pineapple finials, as Victorians loved using fruits, birds, etc. Maybe not the lighter finish, but even that is possible, as Victorian bedrooms were lighter color schemes than their public rooms. I'm no expert, though, so you could be right.

I wouldn't mind if the rooms reflected the feel of the lobby, but the trend to make all the Disney rooms look like a generic mid-level hotel makes me sad. White duvets with a colored bed scarf - I see it in every Hampton or Holiday Inn we stop in on the road.~sigh~

Again, I'm in the minority.;)

I think the beds are somewhat keeping in the Victorian style, I agree. it is the dresser, the upholstered chair, and the daybed style that just makes me shake my head. They look so out of place. I mean, I get it that they can't go too ornate given the wear-n-tear but these pieces to me are just yuck:crazy2: They could easily make the upholstered chair better with a different back shape, some tufting and a little carved wood. The dresser seems like a simple shaker box style with a few inset carved details. I am hoping that they pay more attention to detail like they did with the rehabs of POR and POFQ. I feel like those rooms reflect the theming of the whole resort so much more.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: "Go big or go home"! True.

We LOVED the old decor, especially the Alice theme but also the Floral and Cameo. Swan was not my fave, a little too much blue. After they switched to the current decor, I liked the bench and desk chair, along with the drapes and tone-on-tone bedroom wallpaper, but the bedspread seemed more like the old, flowery nylon spreads from when I was a kid! lol When you look at the GF spreads up close, the material is much nicer than the ones from my youth, but still...not my cup of tea.:teeth: Oh, and I HATE the bedskirt, what's up with that?

I am not sure which theme it was but I liked the rooms with the yellow bedspreads with the blue cameos and pretty patterned pillows? I think it would be nice to give the GF an upscale Alice in Wonderland theme to marry whimsical and Victorian;).....which is what the lobby feels to me. The new tiles with characters scattered among the beautiful flowers and ornate details is just amazing.

The model room pics for VGF are just stunning. They captured the Victorian feel while bringing it forward with modern tastes. I kinda hope the new GF rooms have some of that feel but with a little more whimsy added in. While the VGF are fabulous, I would like the hotel rooms to have more Disney details. A sprinkling of tea pots, some rabbits, a few castle silhouettes..... I think it is very nice the way they added the new animal tiles in the WL showers with their last remodel. Would be great to see something similar at GF in the Alice theme. ::yes::

I think the beds are somewhat keeping in the Victorian style, I agree. it is the dresser, the upholstered chair, and the daybed style that just makes me shake my head. They look so out of place. I mean, I get it that they can't go too ornate given the wear-n-tear but these pieces to me are just yuck:crazy2: They could easily make the upholstered chair better with a different back shape, some tufting and a little carved wood. The dresser seems like a simple shaker box style with a few inset carved details. I am hoping that they pay more attention to detail like they did with the rehabs of POR and POFQ. I feel like those rooms reflect the theming of the whole resort so much more.

I agree, the chair and ottoman - not so much.:sad2: Doesn't it look like someone had an old chair they decided to cover on their own? With the slapdash folding on the edges?:faint:

I didn't like the daybed material, until I saw it in person. The detail in the material is very nice, I especially like the little green flecks that reflect the desk chair/bench colors - which have flecks of burgundy, so it all ties together. That's what I hate so much about the bedskirt, not only is it utilitarian, but the colors are completely off (that, and the roll pillow that matches it, ugh).

I like the dresser and desk, but you are probably right, a different style would tie the whole thing together.

My long time DIS friends will laugh, as it is easy to sidetrack me with room details! (BCV23 and johnsonet, I'm looking at you! lol)

I am not sure which theme it was but I liked the rooms with the yellow bedspreads with the blue cameos and pretty patterned pillows? I think it would be nice to give the GF an upscale Alice in Wonderland theme to marry whimsical and Victorian;).....which is what the lobby feels to me. The new tiles with characters scattered among the beautiful flowers and ornate details is just amazing.

I think you are referring to the Cameo theme, that was one of my favorites as well. So pretty.

YES! An Alice theme would be awesome! I'm not holding out much hope, but I can dream.;)

The model room pics for VGF are just stunning. They captured the Victorian feel while bringing it forward with modern tastes. I kinda hope the new GF rooms have some of that feel but with a little more whimsy added in. While the VGF are fabulous, I would like the hotel rooms to have more Disney details. A sprinkling of tea pots, some rabbits, a few castle silhouettes..... I think it is very nice the way they added the new animal tiles in the WL showers with their last remodel. Would be great to see something similar at GF in the Alice theme. ::yes::

Sounds perfect! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter