HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if room #4419 and 4420 are the first two rooms closest to the Royal Palm Club?

They are the closest to the lounge if you booked a queen deluxe room. 4418 would be the closest if you booked standard RPC main building.

All rooms in the main building are fairly close to the lounge (the exception being the TPV rooms) and I would not let that too closely influence my requests unless that really is your priority.

Hello everyone! Last night we made the decision to change our poly reservations to the GF. While it has always been a dream to stay at the Grand, the Poly is our home resort. I'm following my good friend Maiapapaya over. We met on the DIS, became more aquatinted at the Poly and now we are like family! Looking forward to learning more about the GF and planning with everyone here!

Hello everyone! Last night we made the decision to change our poly reservations to the GF. While it has always been a dream to stay at the Grand, the Poly is our home resort. I'm following my good friend Maiapapaya over. We met on the DIS, became more aquatinted at the Poly and now we are like family! Looking forward to leaning and planning with everyone here!

Welcome to the GF FAQ :flower3:.

I understand how you feel about the Poly as it's our favorite resort as well. We have only had one stay there, but that was enough for us to fall in love with everything about it. With that said, even though the Poly will always be our favorite, we also love the GF as it, too, is a great resort. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have as a few of the gals on here are very informative and give great detailed information and they are also very friendly :goodvibes.

Hello everyone! Last night we made the decision to change our poly reservations to the GF. While it has always been a dream to stay at the Grand, the Poly is our home resort. I'm following my good friend Maiapapaya over. We met on the DIS, became more aquatinted at the Poly and now we are like family! Looking forward to learning more about the GF and planning with everyone here!

:wave2: Welcome!!

Happy Valentine's Day, Grand Friends!!:love:
Hope you are having a good day!

I was petrified the first time I used IPO. Scared to death. Worried and agonized over it for weeks. I had the hardest time falling asleep the night before my ADR date. The next morning, I woke up at 7 my time and immediately thought "oh NO!!". Grabbed my phone and scrolled thru the emails---- and like magic there was one from IPO giving me all of my confirmation numbers, including Le Cellier (which at the time was difficult to get) as well as 'Ohana. The times were even almost all the ones I had wanted. I think one of them might have been about 15 minutes off.

Now when it's my ADR date I roll over at 6 am instead of wringing my hands and fretting and I get a few more minutes of sleep, knowing IPO will take care of me. Love them!!:cloud9:

Rest easy!! It will work out and you too will soon be like me and snoozing thru the panic. :thumbsup2

What is IPO?

Thinking of changing dates to possibly being there on the 4th of July...

Best spots to watch the MK fireworks there at GF? How early would you need to stake out a spot? :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Ok i think i got it now thank you blueskies mickeynut1 and k&a&c'smom!! I understand the view is a distance to the castle/MK and im ok with that. And the distance from the lounge to the room isn't a big deal either we're a walking/running family lol. Thank you for the information!

You're welcome! :goodvibes

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know if mimosas are available in RPC? My husband read an AKL club level review and saw that they had mimosas and he got excited hoping that RPC will have them. :hyper:

Mimosas are not served with the general morning offerings..but..they do serve orange juice..and since champagne is available in the afternoons I would think that your DH could make a request from the lounge staff for a mimosa or two to start his day...::yes:: :drinking1

The memory maker discount came out on Feb. 4. It's a free Memory Maker (149.00) and a discount on your resort room from Aug. 15 to Sept 30. You have to stay at least 3 nights. It fell at the right time for us, since we're going in Sept. The CM couldn't tell me what percent I'm getting off our room, but in total it came to a savings of $953.00! We're staying SL.

Now I don't have to worry about adding free dining (if it comes out). This discount actually saved us an extra $102.00.

Thanks so much for that info marlaine8..:thumbsup2 sounds like a good offer! BTW.. I think that you are going to think the GF is absolutely grand! :cloud9:

Popping in for a :grouphug: from work! Tomorrow is ADR day, and I am thinking a Tea Party might be nice for my DD 9, 7, & 6. They are such picky chicks though...IDK. Missing my "Grands"!!!

Hi pas :grouphug: Best of luck with all of your ADR's! :goodvibes That the tea party sounds like a fun way for the kids to spend some GF time...even for your DS...lol...

We have stayed at the Grand Floridian twice and loved it. Both times we have stayed on the 4th floor. We would like to stay in the first two rooms as you head down the hall from the food area but can not remember the room numbers. Do any of you know what they might be or know where I can find out? Thanks!

Does anyone know if room #4419 and 4420 are the first two rooms closest to the Royal Palm Club?

Yes 4420 (being the closest to the lounge) and 4419 are the rooms you are thinking of...but as baler31 said ..these are categorized as deluxe queen room... Very nice oversized rooms..and with such a nice view too! :thumbsup2

Hi BreezysMom and WELCOME!! :goodvibes How nice that a friendship forged right here has become such a close one...

k&a&c'smom Thinking of you and your boy...hope all is going well...:hug: You have a good memory..we are not new to the CR...and have spent vacations there over the years.. but that was BGF..(before the GF ..LOL...)..although we have stayed there from time to time more recently...it will be different trip for us...which is exciting...and also makes me :worried:...lol... BTW...are you postint right now??? LOL...

Sorry Koh no help from me...haven't been during that time of year in a long time...I am sure someone will pop in that can answer your questions..I think that MommyGina has mentioned being a fan of July at the world...

:wave2: Mickeynut grannyminnie and Jo Bird and circusgirl too...

~ Just a note about recent ADR experience....I have been fine tuning things a bit...again...:blush: and am surprised about the general availability of many places ..even the most popular venues and times..! I really think that having to put a CC hold on all dining reservations has made a big difference..so a positive change in all of the changes that have been going on recently...:thumbsup2

Hope that you all are having a magical Monday! :wizard:

This was taken from #4420 (or 4320). It is our favorite room in RPC. This was prior to the courtyard pool refurb. But the view is still beautiful. I am terrible at posting the photos sorry if the size and such is off.

I really wonder how they are going to furnish the deluxe rooms ? Will the daybed be used in place of the chair or love seat and table that were there ? They really will need something to fill all the additional space.

This was taken from #4420 (or 4320). It is our favorite room in RPC. This was prior to the courtyard pool refurb. But the view is still beautiful. I am terrible at posting the photos sorry if the size and such is off.

I really wonder how they are going to furnish the deluxe rooms ? Will the daybed be used in place of the chair or love seat and table that were there ? They really will need something to fill all the additional space.

baler31, it is our favorite, too! We have it requested for our next trip. I am making a note to photograph the wallpaper, pictures and certain pieces of furniture. We will be there before the renovations attack the RPC.

baler31 ... I am making a note to photograph the wallpaper, pictures and certain pieces of furniture. We will be there before the renovations attack the RPC.

:thumbsup2 Love it! I think "attack" is the perfect word ... we're hoping to get a small RPC trip in the beginning of June and I plan on taking lots of pictures so that I can remember how beautiful it "used-to-be" ... !

We are finally staying at the VGF. :cool1: Can't wait.

We usually travel to DW in Sept but this year we are going the last two weeks of June. Because of the time of year and the limitations with FP+ we are going to take advantage of rope drop.

My question is what time should we arrive at the platform for the monorail in order to make rope drop for 8:00am MK? Also, where is the monorail at gf?

thanks

Interesting, thanks!

You're welcome :goodvibes.

~ Just a note about recent ADR experience....I have been fine tuning things a bit...again...:blush: and am surprised about the general availability of many places ..even the most popular venues and times..! I really think that having to put a CC hold on all dining reservations has made a big difference..so a positive change in all of the changes that have been going on recently...:thumbsup2

Hi Blue......Glad you are able to tweak your ADRs :thumbsup2. I agree about the cc guarantee helping with availability as that has helped to cut down on the double and triple bookings some people were doing :sad2:.

This was taken from #4420 (or 4320). It is our favorite room in RPC. This was prior to the courtyard pool refurb. But the view is still beautiful.

Great pic.....love the view ::yes::.

We will be there before the renovations attack the RPC.

Glad you will be able to make another trip before the refurb :goodvibes. LOL on the "attack" wording...but like stitchlet said, perfect word :thumbsup2.

we're hoping to get a small RPC trip in the beginning of June and I plan on taking lots of pictures so that I can remember how beautiful it "used-to-be" ... !

I hope a June trip works out for you :wizard:.

How exciting :yay:....have a great trip!

Hope that you all are having a magical Monday! :wizard:

This is great news! I was hoping that this would be the case and am delighted to hear of your good experience! Thanks for letting us know. If there is more availability to the point of even being able to reliably walk in to some places for TS that would put back some of the spontaneity I feel I am losing as everything becomes so planned to the hour.

Thank you, thread! I have always avoided GF because I didn't like the look of the rooms. But now that I read about the refurb, I booked Sugar Loaf for the 2nd week of July! If they start the refurb in SL in June, I hope they will be complete by 2nd week of July. Any one know? The GF is the only deluxe we haven't tried yet. My 8yo is really looking forward to the Mad Hatter's splash zone; she was pining for it when we walked by on our way back from dinner to the Poly last summer.

Thank you, thread! I have always avoided GF because I didn't like the look of the rooms. But now that I read about the refurb, I booked Sugar Loaf for the 2nd week of July! If they start the refurb in SL in June, I hope they will be complete by 2nd week of July. Any one know? The GF is the only deluxe we haven't tried yet. My 8yo is really looking forward to the Mad Hatter's splash zone; she was pining for it when we walked by on our way back from dinner to the Poly last summer.

Hi SwirlyGirly - All work will be completed in the SL building at the end of June. It will be open for July. I will be there the same time as you in SL! My kids, since they were small, have loved the GF! They have never wanted to stay anywhere else.

Hi Blue and k&a&c'smom!:wave2:

It doesn't get any better than the Poly pool view (IMO) :cloud9:.

The December rates are kind of scary....LOL. We are throwing around a few ideas and not sure just when we want to try to go. I was originally thinking December, but those holiday rates are steep, so I got a quote from the not-to-be-named travel agency for August for the Poly. It's 40% off, but the date range is from mid August through Labor Day and the dates I got a quote for might be the start of college classes for DS, so that won't work. Plus my DH isn't too keen on going in August, so it looks like it's back to December with higher rates :faint:.

Thanks on the temps, but it looks like we are going to plummet this week and only see temps in the 20s. Spring IS coming soon, right???

Good luck with your December trip planning - and the temps! Spring will arrive, but whether or not it will be soon is another question.:headache:

Just swinging thru to say hi to GF friends. Not much to add. I'm just missing the Grand.
:lovestruc

Hope everyone is well.

k&a&c'smom-- Hope your son is doing well. :hug:

Good to see you! I'm missing the Grand, too, we will likely stay elsewhere on our next trip.:sad:

DS is doing well, thanks,:hug: he goes for his Thyrogen shot today and tomorrow, in advance of the iodine treatment later this week.

Popping in for a :grouphug: from work! Tomorrow is ADR day, and I am thinking a Tea Party might be nice for my DD 9, 7, & 6. They are such picky chicks though...IDK. Missing my "Grands"!!!

Hey, good to see you!:hug: Did you book that tea party?!party:

k&a&c'smom Thinking of you and your boy...hope all is going well...:hug: You have a good memory..we are not new to the CR...and have spent vacations there over the years.. but that was BGF..(before the GF ..LOL...)..although we have stayed there from time to time more recently...it will be different trip for us...which is exciting...and also makes me :worried:...lol... BTW...are you postint right now??? LOL...

~ Just a note about recent ADR experience....I have been fine tuning things a bit...again... and am surprised about the general availability of many places ..even the most popular venues and times..! I really think that having to put a CC hold on all dining reservations has made a big difference..so a positive change in all of the changes that have been going on recently...:thumbsup2

Hope that you all are having a magical Monday!

Oops, I missed our posting time yesterday. DS is good so far, thanks, we'll see how this week goes - should be fine, I'm sure.:hug:

LOL about BGF!;) It happens! Enjoy your return to CR, I'll bet you have a fantastic trip.

Thanks for the info on the ADR situation. We don't even book any more, so I guess we're contributing to the availability.;) We never abused the system, but I have to have more flexibility, I hate to be tied to that cc hold. If it opens things up for walk ins again, that will be great!

Thanks for the photos, we love those rooms too, although we've only had one.:teeth: I've wondered how they will do the deluxe rooms, and the suites for that matter. We toured a couple suites last trip and really loved the decor, I hope they don't ruin them, too (even though we'll never be able to book one, lol).

baler31, it is our favorite, too! We have it requested for our next trip. I am making a note to photograph the wallpaper, pictures and certain pieces of furniture. We will be there before the renovations attack the RPC.

Good for you, I hoped we could book before CL was "attacked" lol, but the 20% off just isn't enough in the higher rate season.~sigh~

:thumbsup2 Love it! I think "attack" is the perfect word ... we're hoping to get a small RPC trip in the beginning of June and I plan on taking lots of pictures so that I can remember how beautiful it "used-to-be" ... !

:thumbsup2

We usually travel to DW in Sept but this year we are going the last two weeks of June. Because of the time of year and the limitations with FP+ we are going to take advantage of rope drop.

My question is what time should we arrive at the platform for the monorail in order to make rope drop for 8:00am MK? Also, where is the monorail at gf?

thanks

YAY!:cool1: Very exciting.

The monorail station is on the second floor of the main building. It takes about 2 minutes to get to the MK from GF, once you board the monorail. We try to get to the monorail station about 20-30 minutes early, if we hope to be at the MK for rope drop. That gives enough time if you've just missed the monorail or if there are so many guests you have to wait for a second one, then get through bag check and the gates. If you prefer to get there right at opening, rather than stand around waiting, you can cut it even closer.

This is great news! I was hoping that this would be the case and am delighted to hear of your good experience! Thanks for letting us know. If there is more availability to the point of even being able to reliably walk in to some places for TS that would put back some of the spontaneity I feel I am losing as everything becomes so planned to the hour.

Me, too, we hate that a WDW vacation has to be planned to the nth degree.:eek: We missed being able to walk up to a restaurant for lunch, especially - hopefully that is more available now.

Hi SwirlyGirly - All work will be completed in the SL building at the end of June. It will be open for July. I will be there the same time as you in SL! My kids, since they were small, have loved the GF! They have never wanted to stay anywhere else.

:wave2: Enjoy your stay this summer!

MommyGina, if you see us introduce yourself)) I'll be the short lady drinking a glass(es) of wine while pretending to listen to my even shorter 8 and 12 year old girls argue.

k&a&c'smom, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter