HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen the Green Clover/Aloe in years. They do have another scent called "Rainkissed Leaves," or sometimes they just call it "Rainkissed," which I believe is similar. I don't know about the GF, but it smells eerily (in a good way!) like the lobbies at BC/YC. They also occasionally sell shower gel and lotion in this scent during their semi-annual sale...and it's usually very cheap.
They also have a current scent called "Beach Cabanna," which while not identical, always makes me think of my 4 favorite WDW resorts (GF, YC, BC, BWI). I can't put my finger on it, but it's lightly floral, very clean and cottony, mixed with a hint of sunscreen. I burn the candle in my house from May right through the end of August.

Lovely! I love Narcoossee's, and I love the CR view at night! Now I have more to think about for our room request in August! My original request was going to be "4th or 5th floor, Boca Chica please," but I'm tempted to add in "View of Narcoossee's!" I probably shouldn't though as I know that the more requests you add, the less likely you are to get them all, and for us, uppermost floors are paramount. We dislike being on the first floor, and in BC, we want to avoid the dreaded "Pool House View."

Thanks for the Rainkissed Leaves suggestion - I hadn't even thought of that scent, it does smell a bit like the Green Clover & Aloe.

As mariamouse posted, I wouldn't worry too much about adding 3 requests - I often do. I do just as she suggested, by listing them in order of importance. "Conch Key, Upper floor, non-dormer" or whatever. Sometimes I get just what I asked for, sometimes not, but if we get to the front desk and find we didn't get our requests, the CMs are great about trying to accommodate.:goodvibes

We had a full day of sun yesterday, but today was cloudy and rain :(. But on the positive side, the temps were in the mid 40s and a lot of the snow is gone. I sure hope spring is in the air because I am more than ready ::yes::.

I never use IPO because it's fun for me to make my own ADRs, but this gave me a chuckle as one of our past trips I changed resorts so many times that I told my DH I wouldn't be surprised if Disney blocked my number so they wouldn't have to change this crazy lady's reservation anymore :rotfl::rotfl:. I have never changed resorts before as once we booked, that's where we stayed and were happy with our choice. However, for some reason for that particular trip, I just couldn't decide what to do :laughing:.

Glad much of your snow is gone, even if you got rain. I hope you get sun today, we have a sunny day with a high of 60 today!:sunny:

LOL about them blocking your number. For years, I booked and stuck with my first choice. Then for a few years, I changed my mind (and sometimes my reservation!) every few weeks.:teeth: Now, I mostly stick with whatever I book first, with maybe an addition of days or a split stay as my only change.

Thank you for your kind words, k&a&c'smom! :blush: We had a courtyard pool view in Boca Chica during our very first GF stay and loved that one as well! We were in a dormer room, though, so it was a bit more obscured of a view than this one. We would definitely request that location again!

And isn't it amazing what cell phone cameras are capable of now?! I don't even have a real camera anymore and probably wouldn't even feel the need to have one if taking photos on my phone didn't burn down the battery so quickly! I give the camera most of the credit. ;)

When we were given our room assignment over the courtyard in Boca Chica, I noticed it was a dormer - so I asked if we could have another room. It was on the 4th floor, right next to a dormer but had an open balcony. Beautiful view!

It is amazing how great the cell photos are now - I just got a new phone after 5 years and couldn't believe the photos it takes! But it's not just the camera that makes your pictures so pretty, you have found some great angles, as everyone has said.:cloud9:

Hi, thanks! I wasn't sure in which direction the monorail ran and didn't want be the last stop or something, and have to do the whole loop again lol. Sounds like a plan then :yay: :thumbsup2:

:thumbsup2

Thanks Scott MC
When I get to the Mall I'll stop in bath and Body works and check them out. Maybe this will hold me off till my next trip:rotfl2: it seems so far away!!!!!!

I know what you mean, I don't even have a trip booked at the moment. But yours will be here before you know it!:cheer2:

Mickeynut, I cracked up at your comment "4 inches would be NO snow for us"! :rotfl2: I'm sure, based on that picture you posted! :eek:
Today we are sunny, but chilly, but it's a day that any of you gals up north would relish! :thumbsup2 A flip flop day for you for sure!! :cloud9:

On another, and more on-topic note: I am having a hard time trying to change our May ressie. It's a bounceback, but that doesn't seem to matter either on the website or by phone. Nothing nearby at the end of April thru the third week of May is available. :confused: I have to assume the refurbs have something to do with this, combined with the Flower and Garden Festival. :confused3 Sure is disappointing. I'm either going to have to change resorts :-)scared1:) or move from the spring dates all together. :sad2:

Mickeynut, I cracked up at your comment "4 inches would be NO snow for us"! :rotfl2: I'm sure, based on that picture you posted! :eek:
Today we are sunny, but chilly, but it's a day that any of you gals up north would relish! :thumbsup2 A flip flop day for you for sure!! :cloud9:

On another, and more on-topic note: I am having a hard time trying to change our May ressie. It's a bounceback, but that doesn't seem to matter either on the website or by phone. Nothing nearby at the end of April thru the third week of May is available. :confused: I have to assume the refurbs have something to do with this, combined with the Flower and Garden Festival. :confused3 Sure is disappointing. I'm either going to have to change resorts :-)scared1:) or move from the spring dates all together. :sad2:

I know, I've been looking at similar dates and there is a dearth of rooms, even at the Epcot resorts. With Spring Break and Easter week being over, I assumed I'd have free choice - wrong!:eek:

Hi there i need help. I think we are ready to book our first stay at the GF (our first WDW stay really). We want to stay in a club level TPV room. From the information i gathered RPC is a little bigger than SL club level correct? I guess i want to know what i should request to have a great view of MK at RPC. I hope I make sense if i don't please someone set me straight! Thanks so much.

Relieved to receive word from our TA that she has successfully changed our fall BB from the Poly the GF. :thumbsup2

Also relieved that we lost a significant amount of snow through the night with the heavy rains we had (although the snow at the front of our driveway is still up to the hood on our van and the snow banks on the west side of our road are still taller than me :upsidedow )

Off to update my ticker ...

Relieved to receive word from our TA that she has successfully changed our fall BB from the Poly the GF. :thumbsup2

Also relieved that we lost a significant amount of snow through the night with the heavy rains we had (although the snow at the front of our driveway is still up to the hood on our van and the snow banks on the west side of our road are still taller than me :upsidedow )

Congrats!! Glad it worked out for you! :goodvibes

Hi there i need help. I think we are ready to book our first stay at the GF (our first WDW stay really). We want to stay in a club level TPV room. From the information i gathered RPC is a little bigger than SL club level correct? I guess i want to know what i should request to have a great view of MK at RPC. I hope I make sense if i don't please someone set me straight! Thanks so much.

Congrats on your first WDW stay!:cheer2: If you want a TPV and Club Level, you have to book RPC - there are no TPV rooms in SL. The regular rooms in both are the same size. Once booked, all TPV rooms in RPC are located in the same area, your only option is to request 3rd or 4th floor.:flower3:

:thumbsup2 Glad you were able to switch resorts, AND that you lost some of that mound of snow.;)

So we are staying at GF in August...where does one usually eat breakfast?

Our favorite breakfast spots are Grand Floridian Cafe and Kona Cafe (at the Poly) - but there are a few others as well. You can have the breakfast buffet with characters at 1900 Park Fare, grab a quick service breakfast at Gasparilla's, or have Private Dining brought to your room.:thumbsup2

Our favorite breakfast spots are Grand Floridian Cafe and Kona Cafe (at the Poly) - but there are a few others as well. You can have the breakfast buffet with characters at 1900 Park Fare, grab a quick service breakfast at Gasparilla's, or have Private Dining brought to your room.:thumbsup2

What do you recommend at GF Café? We have breakfast reservations there. :goodvibes

What do you recommend at GF Café? We have breakfast reservations there. :goodvibes

We love the citrus pancakes, lobster eggs benedict and the smoked salmon plate with bagel and garnishes - all are delicious. Sometimes get a side of breakfast potatoes. Others in our party have had the American breakfast and the fruit plate with yogurt, which looked very good.

DD often has a latte, but their regular coffee is good, too, the CMs have said it's a special blend just for them. Much better than most WDW coffee! I usually have a tropical splash, which is OJ with strawberry puree. MMMM.

We love the citrus pancakes, lobster eggs benedict and the smoked salmon plate with bagel and garnishes - all are delicious. Sometimes get a side of breakfast potatoes. Others in our party have had the American breakfast and the fruit plate with yogurt, which looked very good.

DD often has a latte, but their regular coffee is good, too, the CMs have said it's a special blend just for them. Much better than most WDW coffee! I usually have a tropical splash, which is OJ with strawberry puree. MMMM.

Sounds yummy! GF cafe is scheduled for our last day before catching our flight home. Sounds like a good way to end the trip. ::yes::

k&a&c'smom Thank you we are very excited to be staying here!:banana: Ok i understand now TPV rooms are in RPC only. So are the TPV rooms a little bigger than regular rooms? I'm guessing there is no difference in view between the 3rd and 4th floors?

Ah! Gasparilla's...I was wondering what the cheaper option for breakfast was. I am sure we will have a fancy breakfast one day, but not everyday.

This Sept will be our first stay at the Grand Floridian and I'm really starting to get excited! We've always stayed at The Poly (Last 8 years--4 years garden view, last 4 year CL Theme Park View.) Like a previous poster, we were so comfortable and sure of ourselves over at The Poly.
It seems like more and more people are changing their reservations from the Poly to other resorts, because of all the construction. It also seems like many are, like us, going to The Grand Floridian instead.
Those of you that consider the Grand as your usual resort, how do you see the crowds compared to other years? September is usually a pretty slow month, but when I made our reservation (8 months out), I was told it was the last room they had in SL--without a discount at the time. I've since applied the new Memory Maker Discount to my existing reservation.
How do the pools compare to the Polynesian? When the volcano pool at The Poly closes for refurb in July, they're saying that the Poly guests can use the GF pool. How do you think it will effect the pool areas? The pool at The Poly was always crowded because of it's size. Do you think the GF pools will be okay?

Glad much of your snow is gone, even if you got rain. I hope you get sun today, we have a sunny day with a high of 60 today!

LOL about them blocking your number. For years, I booked and stuck with my first choice. Then for a few years, I changed my mind (and sometimes my reservation!) every few weeks.:teeth: Now, I mostly stick with whatever I book first, with maybe an addition of days or a split stay as my only change.

The rain helped alot with getting rid of the snow. Things were icy this morning, but by early afternoon the temps rose a little and we ended up seeing sun the rest of the day :goodvibes.

Too funny that you changed every few weeks :laughing:. I would always go between a few resorts before I booked, but once I booked, that's where we stayed. I haven't booked yet for December, but if I do book now, there is a chance I'll change later if discounts come out and my other 2 resort choices have a bigger discount than AKL, especially since AKL usually gets the lower (20%) discount on CL rooms :rolleyes1.

Mickeynut, I cracked up at your comment "4 inches would be NO snow for us"! :rotfl2:

Today we are sunny, but chilly, but it's a day that any of you gals up north would relish! A flip flop day for you for sure!!

On another, and more on-topic note: I am having a hard time trying to change our May ressie. It's a bounceback, but that doesn't seem to matter either on the website or by phone. Nothing nearby at the end of April thru the third week of May is available. I have to assume the refurbs have something to do with this, combined with the Flower and Garden Festival. :confused3 Sure is disappointing. I'm either going to have to change resorts :-)scared1:) or move from the spring dates all together.

Since you're not used to getting snow, I bet 4" to you seemed like a foot :rotfl::rotfl:.

LOL on the flip flops....yes, I am a flip flop gal all the way right up until the temps start to creep into the low 40s.....then I have to (sadly) put them away :sad:.

I'm sorry you are having trouble changing your BB. I can't believe there's nothing for that long of a time, especially with Easter being over :confused:. I hope it works out that you can change without changing dates :flower3:.

I know, I've been looking at similar dates and there is a dearth of rooms, even at the Epcot resorts. With Spring Break and Easter week being over, I assumed I'd have free choice - wrong!:

There doesn't seem to be slow times anymore. It actually seems like it's getting busier every year, even with Disney constantly raising their rates :sad2:.

I can't help with TPV room locations (and I see k&a&c'smom gave you some good input :)), but I wanted to say you will love RPC. The lounge is spacious (and is bigger than SL), the CMs are amazing, and the views from the lounge are great :cloud9:.

Congrats on getting your BB changed :goodvibes.

Glad alot of the snow is gone. We lost quite a bit yesterday with rain, too. I was hoping that was the beginning of spring possibly getting here, but according to weather reports, our temps are supposed to plummet again next week :faint:.....so not sure just when this winter will come to an end :(.

We've done CS at Gasparillas as well as TS at 1900 Park Fare :).

Thanks! Now I have to read up on the GF. We're Poly pros, but this is our first time staying at the GF. It's strange being booked at a new resort and not knowing the place inside and out!

You will love the GF and everything will be fine as the GF is just as easy to figure out as the Poly ::yes::.

So are the TPV rooms a little bigger than regular rooms?

TPV rooms are the same size as standard rooms. There are deluxe rooms that are quite a bit larger than the standard rooms, but those are a bookable category ;).

This Sept will be our first stay at the Grand Floridian and I'm really starting to get excited! We've always stayed at The Poly (Last 8 years--4 years garden view, last 4 year CL Theme Park View.) Like a previous poster, we were so comfortable and sure of ourselves over at The Poly.

How do the pools compare to the Polynesian? When the volcano pool at The Poly closes for refurb in July, they're saying that the Poly guests can use the GF pool. How do you think it will effect the pool areas? The pool at The Poly was always crowded because of it's size. Do you think the GF pools will be okay?

You are going to love the GF. We've only stayed at the Poly once, but that was enough for us to fall in love with it. With that said, I also love the GF. The Poly will always be my favorite, but the GF ranks a very close second :).

I, personally, like the Poly pool more than the GF pool. I think the beach pool is nice, but I like the atmosphere and slide of the Poly pool more than I do the GF pool. I can't help with the effect on the GF pool as we've never stayed at a resort when another resort's guests were allowed to use the pool, but hopefully others who may have experienced that will be able to give some insight :flower3:.

Sounds yummy! GF cafe is scheduled for our last day before catching our flight home. Sounds like a good way to end the trip. ::yes::

Good plan, we do this often.:thumbsup2

Thanks! Now I have to read up on the GF. We're Poly pros, but this is our first time staying at the GF. It's strange being booked at a new resort and not knowing the place inside and out!

I know just what you mean, when we first started going to the dark side, I was completely out of my depth and had to do tons of research!:eek: You won't need as much research for the Grand, as I'm sure you visited or, if you haven't, at least you've gone by on the monorail and boat launch. It's laid out similar to the Poly, so that may make it seem a bit familiar.

k&a&c'smom Thank you we are very excited to be staying here!:banana: Ok i understand now TPV rooms are in RPC only. So are the TPV rooms a little bigger than regular rooms? I'm guessing there is no difference in view between the 3rd and 4th floors?

As mickeynut posted, all the standard rooms at the GF are the same size. If you want RPC TPV, you will end up with a standard room. If room size is important, you may have to give up the TPV, as most deluxe rooms are not TPV rooms in CL. (there are a very few larger king deluxe rooms with a view of the castle, but they only sleep 3 with a rollaway) Or, you could move up to a suite, most have a MK view. (there are suite descriptions on the first page)

The only real difference between the 3rd and 4th floor rooms is the RPC lounge is on the 4th floor; the CMs are on the 3rd. However, it's a very short flight of stairs between the two, so it's not a big deal at all.:flower3:

Ah! Gasparilla's...I was wondering what the cheaper option for breakfast was. I am sure we will have a fancy breakfast one day, but not everyday.

OK, gotcha! I wasn't sure, so gave all the options.:) We do not eat a sit down breakfast every day, either - in fact, I often pack oatmeal packets, breakfast bars and/or cereal to have in the room.

It seems like more and more people are changing their reservations from the Poly to other resorts, because of all the construction. It also seems like many are, like us, going to The Grand Floridian instead.
Those of you that consider the Grand as your usual resort, how do you see the crowds compared to other years? September is usually a pretty slow month, but when I made our reservation (8 months out), I was told it was the last room they had in SL--without a discount at the time. I've since applied the new Memory Maker Discount to my existing reservation.

Well, that's a good question. The way I see it is this: the GF had two pools, one a deeper, more adult pool (but with a kiddie pool and hot tub) and the other the "themed pool" with slide, activities, etc. The courtyard pool was rarely packed except for peak seasons, the themed pool was busy but not uncomfortably so, usually. Lots of conventioneers meant the pools were not in high demand.

With the opening of VGF (which didn't get its own pool), the pools are much busier, especially the courtyard pool, which was refurbed last year to be more of a draw for the little ones. Zero entry, pop jets, no deep end. It's basically a wading pool now. When you combine all that with refugees from the Poly, it could get pretty crowded this summer!!:crowded: I could be wrong, so take it for what it's worth - this is just my guess.

ETA: the one thing that was added was the Alice splash zone. Some of the small fry have been drawn to that, at least for a portion of their pool time.

The rain helped alot with getting rid of the snow. Things were icy this morning, but by early afternoon the temps rose a little and we ended up seeing sun the rest of the day :goodvibes.

Too funny that you changed every few weeks :laughing:. I would always go between a few resorts before I booked, but once I booked, that's where we stayed. I haven't booked yet for December, but if I do book now, there is a chance I'll change later if discounts come out and my other 2 resort choices have a bigger discount than AKL, especially since AKL usually gets the lower (20%) discount on CL rooms :rolleyes1.

There doesn't seem to be slow times anymore. It actually seems like it's getting busier every year, even with Disney constantly raising their rates :sad2:.

I, personally, like the Poly pool more than the GF pool. I think the beach pool is nice, but I like the atmosphere and slide of the Poly pool more than I do the GF pool. I can't help with the effect on the GF pool as we've never stayed at a resort when another resort's guests were allowed to use the pool, but hopefully others who may have experienced that will be able to give some insight :flower3:.

Glad your snow melted even more! Yikes about the temps plummeting next week, I think our forecast says the same. I keep telling myself it's only February, we should expect cold - but I'm so over winter, I could cry.:sad:

You are so right about no more slow seasons, I wonder if the checkerboard seasonal pricing has affected it? We do a similar way with our resort bookings; book something, then wait to see if one of our other choices gets a better discount.:thumbsup2

It's really hard to beat swimming with a view of the castle, isn't it?!:lovestruc The Poly Volcano pool is really nice, I think my boys preferred the slide over there but DD may like the GF slide more, I'll have to ask her. They all loved swimming with music underwater, but that was before the Volcano pool was built, I think. Does it still have it? I've never noticed as I rarely swim underwater, lol.

Glad your snow melted even more! Yikes about the temps plummeting next week, I think our forecast says the same. I keep telling myself it's only February, we should expect cold - but I'm so over winter, I could cry.:sad:

You are so right about no more slow seasons, I wonder if the checkerboard seasonal pricing has affected it? We do a similar way with our resort bookings; book something, then wait to see if one of our other choices gets a better discount.:thumbsup2

It's really hard to beat swimming with a view of the castle, isn't it?!:lovestruc The Poly Volcano pool is really nice, I think my boys preferred the slide over there but DD may like the GF slide more, I'll have to ask her.

I am seeing more grass everyday :thumbsup2....now to wait and see what happens next week with temps and if more snow is coming :(.

Yeah, no matter what the rates are, it always seems to be busy. The holidays have always been busy, but it seems to get busier each year, even with the rates being so high. The peak/holiday rates are up there :eek:.....and it seems like the discount windows for December are getting less and less each year. And now since Disney changed the pricing season the week before Christmas from value to peak, even with a discount, it's still expensive to be there around the holidays :sad2:.....but resorts still fill up.

I agree about the view from the Poly pool. That is one of the many things I love about the Poly......the view of the castle while swimming just can't be beat :cloud9:. My guys like the Poly slide/pool better overall than the GF pool (as do I). We didn't spend too much time at the beach pool as the courtyard pool was more to our liking, but at the Poly, we couldn't get enough of the volcano pool :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter