Have You Ever Vacationed Without Your Kids?

Wilgus and I took many trips without Travis. As Travis grew up he took many trips without <i>us</i>.

It's only a four night cruise. I hope you decide to go. What a terrific reward and wonderful incentive for getting healthier.

Katholyn

Yep, we've done it a couple times. Once to USF/IOA for a long weekend before my DW had a conference in Orlando (I flew back after the weekend) and a couple weekend trips to B&B's for anniversaries. Pretty much everytime DS has stayed with any of his grandparents, he loves it probably more than even if he was with us. Simple reason -- he gets spoiled beyond belief during that time! :teeth: What kid wouldn't love that?? :teeth:

Go and enjoy yourself, becka -- you deserve it. :)

Nope, not once, not ever and our boys will soon be 13 and 14 years old!

But we are hoping to change that with a 3 or 4 night getaway just DH and myself to WDW around or after Christmas next year! We'll see if it all works out!

We have gone about three times without kids, most recently, last month to Las Vegas.

It was tough the first time, but I knew I was leaving them in excellent hands. My parents are probably even MORE attentive to them than even I am. They love staying with my parents and sisters so much that they go for a couple days over every school vacation and DH and I stay home. They consider it "their" vacation and feel very special.

I say go for it as long as you feel confidence in your parents' caregiving. The funny thing is, at first you have to force youselves to talk about things other than your children. It is hard to get back into "couple" mode, but believe me it's a great thing for your marriage in the long run.

Marie and I had a business/pleasure trip to Hawaii about 4 months after Vince came to us. He was about 5 months old. It was tough leaving him, both of us in tears, and wonderful coming home to him. We felt comfortable, Marie's mom was taking care of him. Hope you get to go and enjoy your trip, Becka, you and Nathan will be fine. And congratulations again on the dieting.

Dan

yes. ds is currently 17 months and we left him last summer to fly out to cedar point and ride the big ones :). that was for 4 days.

in november we're leaving him for 6 days so we can spend our anniversary in disney alone.

my mom takes him while we're gone and he loves it, more importantly, SHE loves it!

we think it's important to have time away alone so we plan to do at least one trip a year without him, or any other children we might have. (we just bought into dvc so guess where those trips will be? LOL)

Yes, I've even been to WDW without my kids. Go and enjoy your alone time with your DH - you deserve it!

I just thought of something else I should have put in my reply. Just about a month or so ago we drove by the zoo and Cameron(now 6) mentioned how he went to the zoo when we were in Disney World. Then he started talking about all the other stuff he did with his cousins and the rest of the family during that time. He seemed excited about it so to feel him out I said "Gee, I think Mommy and Daddy need to go away again". His reply.... YEAHHHH!!!!

If you are confident in the abilities of your parents then I would say go for it!
DH and I need an adult vacation every once in awhile.
I also look at it this way, it is a chance for ds to bond with GMA& GPA. Grab that opportunity while it still exists. It may give you great comfort later.

Thanks so much for your advice and personal experiences.

I really have not made up my mind what to do yet. I know DH thinks it is a great idea and like I said there are many times when it sounds so wonderful. I will just give it some more time and see how I feel. :)

I keep thinking that if any part of me is having "second thoughts" about this being a good idea then I just shouldn't do it but then again whenever I think about ANYTHING when it concerns DS I tend to have second thoughts about if it is a good idea. If I didn't ignore them sometimes I would never do anything. ;) I know I will miss him terribly but I know he would have so much more fun with my parents than on a cruise.

Thanks again!

No, we have never gone on vacation without our kids. We have no family what so ever around us. BUT, In Feb we are going on a four day cruise for our 15th Anniversary and we are NOT taking the kids. Will it be hard? oh yea, because we have never done anything without them. My DH and I have a wonderful relationship though, Our kids are just a part of us and we like doing stuff with them. That is just how we are,( And I am NOT saying that anyone else doesn't enjoy being with their kids). I am going to go on this cruise though and enjoy the time alone with DH for a change. Is it something we plan on doing all the time? No, but it will be nice for this once to not have any kids around.
So I say to you, GO and have a wonderful time... You can always pick the kids up something small from your private vacation.. That is what I plan on doing and I know my kids will be happy with knowing we were at least thinking of them...:)

We went to Disney when my DS was 13 months old. While I missed him terribly we look back at that trip and what a wonderful time we had together. Sometimes moms and dads need time together alone. :)

Next April DH and I are planing on a weekend in Vegas. We haven't been in years and we are really looking forward to it.

Our last trip we went to Maui with MIL and left the kids at home. It was for a wedding and we just couldn't afford 2 more tickets.

Looking back, I would have charged the tickets. I was miserable without my kids. I cried every day. But that is just me. And it was for a whole week. 4 days isn't that long.

Keep in mind how special it is to spend time with loving grandparents too. I wouldn't have hesitated to go and leave DS if I'd had a chance like this. Of course, I would have missed DS but I wouldn't expect anything else.

We've had several weekend getaways with just the two of us, but come Sunday, I'm ready to be with my kids again. Another thing that I absolutely won't do is get on an airplane with DH but without the kids. If we can't drive there, then the kids come with us.

But we have had very nice trips in the local vicininty, just a couple of years ago to Hot Springs, Virginia, a 4 hour drive away. It was lovely, DH played golf while I did the spa, and every night we would have these lavish and romantic dinners. Certainly rejuvinating for the marriage!

Go for it!!!! We are doing the same in Feb. Our DD is 17 now so she doesn't want to go with us anywhere anyways.:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter