Have you ever handed in your notice, then packed your stuff and...

If I gave my notice and packed my stuff up, all the bosses would go outside and do a conga dance around the building

Last edited:

Once. I took a job I didn't particularly want to take. I had interviewed at several places, and got one offer without a chance to extend my decision. I took the job but my heart wasn't in it. Then I found (via voice message) that I had an offer from another employer and told my manager. He said I could leave midday, but there was no anger like I was being marched out. I'd been there for so little time that I had no personal items in my desk. I didn't even say bye to a colleague. I didn't even have my formal offer letter yet, so I probably should have waited and maybe collected some more pay.

I've been laid off and told to leave by the end of the day. However, that was an unexpected mass layoff where most of the division was gone. HR must have been preparing this for a week since there was a stack of layoff notices. Many of us went out to commiserate. The division leader (had no idea of this) was gone too and bought a round of drinks before heading back. It was a generous layoff though. We technically had several weeks notice and got a severance bonus on top of what was standard. We were also subject to being recalled. They didn't even send in security. After a week my old manager (one of the few still there) contacted me and asked if I could clean up some loose ends. I wasn't bitter about it and had a chance to say hi to the remaining people. I ended up starting a new job before the notice period was over. I remember someone asked about that, and we were told not to worry about it. I think some were worried about not getting severance.

Have you ever handed in your notice, then packed your stuff and...
walked out the door never to return all in the same day?

Most of the companies that I have worked for, that is mandatory. No matter how long much notice you give, you will be walked out the door that same day. Most would continue to pay you for your 2 weeks notice, but you could not have access to company info after you submit your resignation.

It was silly because anybody who wanted to collect trade secrets would have made all their copies and backups before they quit.

Not me - but I have two favorite stories from friends/relatives.

My cousin started a new job. She hated it - so when she left for lunch she never went back.

A close friend decided to leave her job (after a decade). She went in at the end of the day to tell her boss she was leaving. He asked her how much longer she would be with them. She very dramatically looked at her watch and said "about 10 minutes".

\

My cousin started a new job. She hated it - so when she left for lunch she never went back.
".

I have done that more than once LOL- why stay if you know you are going to hate it!
I have never been marched out when I gave notice but I remember one job when I was about 20 right before I got the job I stayed at for 30 years....it was all male except for me and one other girl...the owner decided that me and the other girl were to alternate cleaning the bathroom, not just the girls bathroom but he expected us to clean the guys bathroom too. This was NOT a janitorial job we were working, it was an office job and the guys were in the back warehouse. I gave her two words and a one finger salute that went along with it and walked out the door.

If I quit, pack my stuff and walk out the door all in the same day, I wouldn't be in the mood to bother writing up a notice.

Last edited:
I had a part time job while I was in school that I hated and basically did that. I just told my manager that today was going to be my last day.

Last edited:
Another who went to lunch and never went back. I wasn't worried because I knew the company wouldn't be around much longer, I would never work in that industry ever again, nor would I ever see any of the other workers again. I just called my old job and went back the next day. This was over 35 years ago, so it didn't hurt my career too much, I am retired now!

I have but it was not what I wanted my parents moved dh and I, I was told at the end of the school year that transportation would not be a problem well when dh and I got to our new place I was told it was do I ended up at a new place of employment did not think o say good bye because I thought I would be back

Yes - I was working for a credit union - came in to a position I was overqualified for (as evidenced by 2 promotions during my 2 week HR orientation) - after about 2 months on the job, in a pretty hostile environment - I gave my notice - was paid for the remaining 2 weeks, and left, never to look back!

I used to work in an inbound call center that had a contract with a big name business here in Canada that dealt with phones, cable TV, and internet.

On the Friday they threatened to fire us all if we didn't make enough sales (despite us being an INBOUND centre, where all calls are from people who already have a problem). When I asked to see my job description my manager told me no. Which, you know, is illegal.

So I went out the next day and found a new job, with a start date of Tuesday. So on Monday I walked in, packed up my stuff, told my floor manager (not the same manager) that I was quitting and he high fived me. I then had to fill out a questionnaire about WHY I was quitting. And then I left! :D

I did in college. I worked at Victoria's Secret and was screamed at constantly. When I told my supervisor she started screaming at me that if I quit without going through the proper channels I would be black listed at their company and it's affiliates (the limited and express I believe) and could never be hired again. Whatever, girl.

If she would have said that to me, I would have laughed in her face. I would probably say something smart like "OMG, no...NOT the blacklist of just VS, but EXPRESS?? Oh how will I ever survive?!!! Get your professional self in order and I will speak with you like two adults after you've finished your time-out".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter