Have you ever had anything stolen at Disney World?

No.
/knockonwood

But over the past several years we have found and returned a purse (with KTTW card/room key, cash, credit cards, driver's license), 2 wallets, and bundle of KTTW cards.

NEVER had anything stolen. Now having said that....

I think every single CM at WDW is totally honest - but never forget that there are a LOT of just plain people in the park, and hotels. Like any other "City" with a huge population? You should always take great care with your property.

Sorry, but not every single cm at Disney is totally honest. You can look at news stories to see that.

Well, it's not like they can take a stroller on a ride.

I totally get that. I was really just curious. I would assume that people don't leave anything of value in the strollers, but I've seen the prices on those things! How do people avoid having someone walk off with the whole stroller?

I totally get that. I was really just curious. I would assume that people don't leave anything of value in the strollers, but I've seen the prices on those things! How do people avoid having someone walk off with the whole stroller?

It happens. Someone just posted about it happening to them in the last week or two.

Just gotta chime in here! We always call our bank, who has one of our most used cards, and let them know we are going to Florida on vacation. Also do the same with the cc we use for our magic bands and all purchases, food (love that option:) Our TA recommended this as the Florida area is well known to them as being high risk for theft of all types,, esp credit cards. She said Florida ranks right up there with her advice on overseas travel alerts! We do lock all our stuff up, but don't have too much. We carry our credit card, cash, id's, with us at all times. I leave my almost empty purse on the table and haven't had anyone take it yet, but nothing in it but a pen or lipstick!

My son also had money stolen from his wallet in the arcade. This was at POP around 2007. It was $20. They did give us Mickey money to make up for it.

The Mickey money would have been great. They didn't do that for us. My mom called the front desk immediately when I returned to the room and got a heart felt apology and was told they would keep an eye out for the wallet. We knew we would never see it again. It's ok though as it taught me a valuable lesson.

Someone had mentioned somewhere in here about things getting stolen from rooms. Never leave anything valuable in a room. I don't care if you're at WDW or an Econo Lodge. That's just foolish. In addition to the occasional dishonest housekeeper, hotel rooms really aren't difficult to break into. I used to work at a Microtel and it happened more often than you would think until we put cameras up. Always use the room safe. And always make sure you have everything you plan to take with you before going out. Literally walk through the room again before leaving. It takes just a few seconds and yet can save a ton of money.

You can chain 2 wheels together. Or on some strollers you can take a wheel off.

Not me but I had a client who had all their luggage stolen from their rental van while they were checking into Port Orleans Riverside a few years ago.

Well, I hear you. All I can say is that WE have never encountered a dishonest CM.

That doesn't mean they're all honest. To think so is extremely naive. CM's are just a cross section of society who happen to work for Disney.

That doesn't mean they're all honest. To think so is extremely naive. CM's are just a cross section of society who happen to work for Disney.

I am not naïve. To repeat a fact: "WE have never encountered a dishonest CM".

Having said that - you are absolutely correct saying that CMs are a cross section of Society. We may have been lucky, or just a WEE bit cautious (as we are with anyone that we just don't know on a personal level). Really, even DISNEY behaves in this fashion :).

An example: if everything were perfect (no one BUT a CM, or you, could enter your room, and all CMs are dead honest).... why are there room safes? :)

Last edited:
No; I think DH was trying to lose our things a couple of weeks ago on our trip! He was watching the acrobats in China & left our backpack with all our money, gift cards, cc, driver's license, video camera in it, just sitting on the ground. When I asked him about it, he sprinted back & it was still there! He left our video camera on a bench when we boarded a bus at our resort. Later that night he went to concierge & some kind soul had turned it in instead of keeping it.

We we very blessed on this vacation that we didn't lose anything for good.

Nope. We do a room check before we leave to make sure nothing valuable is visible. Anyone who works in housekeeping who steals out of the rooms has to be super stupid! They are always the first suspected if there is a room theft.

Two misplaced items two different results.

I once had something sort of stolen at WDW. I took my daughter on a trip to Disney a few years ago just her and I. She was much younger then so I was taking her into the bathroom with me when she had to go. Well with all the stuff I was carrying I set my cell phone down and then forgot to pick it back up when we left. I discovered it missing about 5 minutes later and ran back to the bathroom but it was gone. I figured I would call it to see if someone answered but it had been turned off( so it could not be tracked). I immediately called my carrier and had it disconnected. I kept checking lost and found but it was never found.

On a different trip we left our backpack on the dinosaur ride and remembered it right after exiting the ride. We told them in the gift shop at the exit of the ride but we're told they were short handed and could not go look for it. Thankfully there was nothing valuable in it but it got turned in and was mailed to us at home with everything that was in it except the snacks were gone. Maybe the dinosaurs were hungry?

Nothing ever stolen from the room. And we had our laptop there and my Nook, just laying out.

At DHS, I bought a pair of sunglasses and somehow dropped them without realizing it while me and DD were waiting for the Jake M&G. Went back less than 5 minutes later to see if they were there. not even a trace of them maybe being stepped on. Never turned up in Lost and Found. Disney did replace them since I still had the receipt though. Don't know if someone swiped them after I dropped them or if they were stepped on and Disney's clean up crew really is that fast.

Yes, quite a few years ago we had all our bags stolen at Typhoon Lagoon (clothes, cameras, etc.).
Holy cow, us too! No camera though, luckily I had not brought that with me (didn't want to get it wet). Evidently there is no shortage of unsavory characters in this world and Disney is no exception! So sad. But on the flip side, we were staying at CBR 13 years ago when we left an entire drawer full of clothing and it was all delivered by mail a week later! AND on another trip (CBR again coincidentally) our housekeeper actually wrote us a note thanking us for our tips! So I guess my moral is there is more good than bad, but I still have to watch out for the less than honest travelers.

I put my extra cash and the extra credit card in the safe in the hotel room - but I've quit hiding the tablet, laptop, camera, etc in my room at Disney and business class hotels. Those things have become SO commonplace - risk of theft isn't that high anymore. Sure - there could be a dishonest employee that steals them, but those things are commonplace now and I'm sure they pass by those items hundreds of times a week. I think there's a greater chance I personally lose them by leaving them behind someplace (and then their theft is my fault!

Recently had a credit card used by someone. It's a card I rarely use. I have NO idea where they got the number - skimmer, online theft, who knows. Glad my credit card company caught it!!!

An iphone.
Disney could care less and told us there was nothing they could do. They asked housecleaning and they didn't have the phone.
So....
I used findmyphone app to track it down then I used google maps to give me and address.
Got the address and searched the counties appraisal district for the owner of the address.
Got her name.
Ran her through facebook and what a coincidence, she worked for Disney in housekeeping.

I then contact the police and the officer when and chatted with the lady. He then left and called me and I described her to him (from photos on FB) and described her perfectly. He made sure I was going to press charges then went back up to the door and at that time she gave it up.. claimed she was turning it in on her next shift.

PD shipped the phone to me. They were awesome.. Disney Co. sucked.
Quite impressive, Sherlock, oops I mean Ericstac!

I like this thread because it helps know how to avoid trouble. My son had his wallet stolen out of his back pocket. He got the wallet back minus cash and credit cards. Another time we left a braves cap in a stroller while we ate dinner in epcot and some meanie stole it. It was just an inexpensive treat for the thief but a bigger deal to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter