• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have a Christmas rant? This is the place for you!

This is weird, but reading all these rants made me realize that it's the holiday season and I need to snap out of my lethargy and force myself to feel that it's Christmas time, or it'll pass me by like it did last year.

I guess it doesn't feel like Christmas to me until I notice everyone getting stressed out about the season, so thank you! ;)

A little update. First off thank you for your good wishes and stories from when your kids were younger. It reminded me that this is hopefully just a season of life. We received 2 gifts. First MIL is cancer free!!!!!:cool1: So that helped me really put things into presepctive. Then she either gave us an advance on our Christmas present or DH's inheritance. :rotfl2: We were able to pay a bill, buy food for the week, and order gifts for the kids. Well at least one present. The second present is courtesy of Capital One. :rolleyes1
Merry Christmas and I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday!

A little update. First off thank you for your good wishes and stories from when your kids were younger. It reminded me that this is hopefully just a season of life. We received 2 gifts. First MIL is cancer free!!!!!:cool1: So that helped me really put things into presepctive. Then she either gave us an advance on our Christmas present or DH's inheritance. :rotfl2: We were able to pay a bill, buy food for the week, and order gifts for the kids. Well at least one present. The second present is courtesy of Capital One. :rolleyes1

That's wonderful to hear. :) :santa: Both about your MIL AND the unexpected money!

I'm sick of all the "exchanges". It used to just be pick a name and exchange a gift. Now there's the recipe exchange, cookie exchange and ornament exchange in addition to the gift exchange. I love Christmas but all these exchanges as annoying.
I don't want to make recipes cards for everyone. Besides I'm probably just bringing frozen appetizers I bought at BJs. I guess I can print out the heating instructions and directions to BJs.

My rant is about people that feel the need to tell others all about the "reason for the season". The reason for the season is different for everybody and there's nothing wrong with that. You celebrate your way and let others celebrate their way and let it be.

Christmas for all in my life is about the kids and the excitement of Santa, being with people you love, having a great time together, exchanging gifts showing you care with some great gags in there too, having a great meal and just overall having a great family day. That's what it is for us so that is how we celebrate. Everybody else should celebrate in a way that is meaningful to them and stop worrying about others.

:thumbsup2 Beautifully written! Another atheist family here. Yes, we celebrate Christmas. And Hanukkah! It's more about family traditions for us. I come from a Catholic family and DH's is Jewish. For us it's about celebrating with family, and as the PP said, the excitement of Santa for the kids. If I didn't have the kids, I might not bother with the tree and lights, or the menorah. DH and I would probably go on a cruise. :) While they are young, I love enjoying the holidays through their eyes.
As DS apparently learned in preschool, since he states it often, "worry about yourselves." :goodvibes

I'm sick of all the "exchanges". It used to just be pick a name and exchange a gift. Now there's the recipe exchange, cookie exchange and ornament exchange in addition to the gift exchange. I love Christmas but all these exchanges as annoying.
I don't want to make recipes cards for everyone. Besides I'm probably just bringing frozen appetizers I bought at BJs. I guess I can print out the heating instructions and directions to BJs.

You should do that! I never particiaped in exchanges and my friends have stopped asking.

You should do that! I never particiaped in exchanges and my friends have stopped asking.

I didn't mind the ornament exchange or even the cookie one but, do we really need all of them? The recipe exchange is so lame. Its just print out a copy of the recipe you bring to the party, for everyone. Ugh, I don't want your recipe for meatballs or taco dip. I certainly don't want to be bothered typing out a recipe and wasting ink to print it for a bunch of people who don't really want it anyways.

This is weird, but reading all these rants made me realize that it's the holiday season and I need to snap out of my lethargy and force myself to feel that it's Christmas time, or it'll pass me by like it did last year.

I guess it doesn't feel like Christmas to me until I notice everyone getting stressed out about the season, so thank you! ;)

:rotfl2: Glad to help get you in the right spirit.

Aww, so glad to hear things are looking up for you!

My rants were resolved. I talked to DB, gifts are being delivered to his kids tomorrow from Amazon. DH got his parents taken care of, we just need to mail them a card. Tomorrow, I need to mail my Gma's gift and Christmas cards once we take pics tonight. DD will be missed on Christmas Day but we'll enjoy time together when she gets back.

I live in Mexico. Our friends did not grow up with Thanksgiving, or Santa. They have Reyes in January. None of the friends described have young children. Now you know the basics.

This year, with the economy, my plan was to skate past Thanksgiving, and go right to Chrismas. No biggie down here.

Well, a week before, my DH's friends started calling, to sniff around for their TDay invite. Well, I started to weaken, and finally decided to go ahead and do it. We invited 4, one of whom is my sons Godmother.

Dinner was to be at 6pm. Now, here, thats lunch - cuz they eat really late. But I insisted that it was to be at 6pm, because it was a "regular" school nite for my son, as well as the grownups.

Started cooking at 10am. Finished up by 430-5pm, good to go, right?

6pm - nothing
7pm - nothing
8pm - nothing but my first glass of wine
815pm - DH "now dont get mad, you know that we all eat late, you cant just say that the dinner is at 6pm when you know they eat later"

HUH? As the hostess of an event, I cannot dictate at what time my own dinner party is? Should I ask the guests what time is good for them when I was the one cooking all day?

Finally, everyone started arriving after 830pm. And, OK, I was irritable, but I was PO'd.

We ate, visited, had nice adult beverages...

But when my son fell asleep in the den around 10pm, I went in, picked him up, said my goodnites, put him in my bed, and crashed right next to him...

No mention about their rudeness, nothing......

Until now. Christmas.

DH has invited everyone - and more for Christmas Eve. And I said SURE - no problemo! Know why???

I ordered all of the food from the supermarket. It is going to be a crappy pre cooked meal. Think lotsa mayonaise!! And I dont care. No silver this year, I bought paper plates and plastic cups.

My freakin' table will be set, and the food will be on it. What time is dinner? Guess what??!! I dont care, its on the table, cold. Throw the plate in the microwave if you want. I dont care!!!

Want to stay up late? Go ahead! I dont care!!! I am headed up to bed.

Because to ME, Christmas is Christmas morning when my 6 year old gets up to see if Santa came. For Christmas morning, I am making a great quiche amongst other things and I am going to enjoy the peace of Christmas!!!

Thanks for listening....

I am only on page 5 reading these. But got pretty worked up about my rants.

My DH talks and talks about gifts buying for me. We have been married for 7 years. I have gotten 1 present from him in the 7 years for Christmas. Doesn't bother me... Not want Christmas is about. But what bothers me is he took $40 out of the ATM 3 weeks ago claiming he bought me something for Christmas and it is in his locker at work. Yeah okay, I ll come on here and apologize if he's telling the truth but the thing is he has said this before and nothing.... Where did the money go???? Beer, chew, scratchers and power balls I can bet on it.

I do all the shopping this was the first year that DH helped with the tree and put lights outside... Huge improvement... Yay! But I can never get him to help with the shopping.
We just got back visiting his side of the family for Christmas. He took the Friday before we left off to go duck hunting... Was suppose to be back by 2:00pm didn't get back until 630pm. I had to shop for his whole family and his dad. Then get oh Hun I don't think they will like that... Then you should have been back earlier.

I took my time getting ready the next morning he wanted to be on the road by 8:00am I didn't put my pants on until 8:30 oops. Our kids are 6 and 3 yes DH was forced to dress out 3 year old... Haha paybacks...

DH has a job where he can work overtime any time he wants instead he takes days off to hunt. We have a few bills that we really need to pay... I had a good amount of savings that were to tide us over this winter. But DH thought he would just work more but needed hunting gear now. So now savings gone and no Overtime.... Come on...

Its hard to get into the Christmas mood when I am worried about buying food and paying bills... The kids will have a good Christmas from my family, and already had a great time at my DH family. I just want to make sure they have stocking stuffers.

Just hope DH will ease the burden and work an extra day here and there after all because of his TOYS we are in this mess.

Oh every strain of lights only half of the lights worked yes I have 5 strains of light on my tree that really only equal 2.5....maybe next year ill have working lights.

I am sorry for those who have experienced a loss during this time. We have lost several people over the last 5 years my grandma in September and my Dad 3 years ago this time... Plus many uncles and a cousin it's really hard especially during the Holidays. My heart goes out to you!

I feel better getting things off my chest but I feel compelled to say something I am thankful for too. My health of my kids and DH and the rest of my family. Things could always be so much worse but always thankful for what I have.

My rant isn't really a rant just something that is upsetting me. DS's first Christmas is gonna suck and it's not fair to him. I know hes only 10 months and he really has no clue whats going on but we JUST put the tree up, haven't decorated or baked any cookies, DH and I are so stressed out that neither of us have ANY Christmas spirit. Dh's Nana is dying of end stage Alzheimer's so he is up in Boston right now with his Mom and brother. DS and I are staying down hear because I can't afford to lose any more days off since we plan on going up for the funeral, which at this point will be shortly as she will pass anytime now. So he flew up to surprise her and her first words were "Wheres my grandson?" then got upset that he didn't bring him. He flew standby there and will be flying it back so having a 10 month old in the air port all day plus we want him to have his own seat the likely-hood of getting two stand by tickets this close to Christmas is slim. . I feel horrible for DH since he made peace with his Nana a long time ago but felt he needed to be there for his mom who is now upset with him for not bringing DS and he's just miserable up there, he hates being away from us especially so close to Christmas.
My Nana fell around the beginning of the month and cracked three vertebrae and went from mild dementia to 5 or 6 episodes a day and keeps telling us she will be dead before Christmas. So that is a huge issue for us as well.
I know I'm being selfish but it sucks that DS is getting the short end of the stick as far as his first Christmas goes.
Then my parents and sister are having a fit about the Christmas dinner DH and I are planning on making; Roast Duck, Potato Pancakes, Apple Stuffing, Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Green beans, and French Onion Soup. . For desert a Mint Chocolate Creme Brulee. It's nice having a husband who graduated from Johnson and Whales sometimes, because 99% of that is all him. Saying that we don't make any "normal food" and they won't have anything to eat. I am so close to telling them not to come, but then my mom will throw a fit and ruin DS's Christmas even more. Oh and on top of everything else I'm getting sick and DS is teething again.

All I want is one good, happy, healthy, non-stressful Christmas Day with DH and DS.

My rant is that DS21 has to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. He's an EMT and does convalescent runs mostly. They were initially told that they should sign up for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Then they told them they would have to work both. He won't be able to go to my Mom & Pops' for our family Christmas on Christmas Eve (works 12 pm to 9 pm.) And it's the fun one. Lots of cousins and really good food. He will get to go to DH's parent's for Christmas Day lunch but it's not as much fun. No cousins and food isn't as good. (Is that bad to say?)

Needless to say, I'll bring him lots of food from Mom's but it sure won't be the same. He's never missed Christmas Eve at Mom's. Not even when I had food poisoning and missed it. He texted me earlier today to confirm that he'll have to work. He said he'll go see Mom & Pops Christmas Eve morn but it won't be the same.

I know someone has to work this shift, just wish he was working earlier in the day so he could go with us. :sad1:

Christmas rants huh?

I'll take you up on that. lol

Just really bothered today by how secular the holiday seems to be getting sometimes. It bothers me when people celebrate all the festivities of Christmas, but do not believe in Christ, or couldn't care less about him. It bothers me when Christians seem to not focus on Christ either, but celebrate the rituals of Christmas.

Not something to confront a person on, but since this was open for rants, I thought I would share a mini, personal rant. lol

Take care all

I'm reading a really interesting ebook from the library, called "The Battle for Christmas." If you like history, it would be interesting for you to see -- Christmas was only a religious holiday from the mid 1800's, and had actually been banned by the Puritans.

Reading through some of these made me feel better about my little Christmas annoyances. :goodvibes Mine are certainly no where near as bad as others so I guess I am pretty blessed to only have the stupid little things bothering me. Merry Christmas and I pray everyone has a great Christmas despite the inevitable annoyances! :santa:

If I had to have a rant, I guess it would be about why do people care so much on how others celebrate Christmas. :confused: So baffling to me. If you only celebrate in a religious way...great. If you only celebrate in a secular way...great. If you do a little bit of both...great. I don't get what the problem is?? :sad2:

DH and I know people who all celebrate differently; I have a brother who doesn't celebrate Christmas at all. We have a good friend who's an Atheist, he celebrates in a secular way, of course. My Inlaws celebrate in a very religious way.

When I was a young child, my mom wasn't religious, so celebrated in a secular way. Nothing wrong with that! (Still thinking of you, mom.) :angel:

Just concentrate on your own family and celebrate the holidays how you see fit. Don't worry about others! Rant over ;)

And Merry Christmas, or X-Mas! However you celebrate it! :santa:

My rant isn't really a rant just something that is upsetting me. DS's first Christmas is gonna suck and it's not fair to him. I know hes only 10 months and he really has no clue whats going on but we JUST put the tree up, haven't decorated or baked any cookies, DH and I are so stressed out that neither of us have ANY Christmas spirit. Dh's Nana is dying of end stage Alzheimer's so he is up in Boston right now with his Mom and brother. DS and I are staying down hear because I can't afford to lose any more days off since we plan on going up for the funeral, which at this point will be shortly as she will pass anytime now. So he flew up to surprise her and her first words were "Wheres my grandson?" then got upset that he didn't bring him. He flew standby there and will be flying it back so having a 10 month old in the air port all day plus we want him to have his own seat the likely-hood of getting two stand by tickets this close to Christmas is slim. . I feel horrible for DH since he made peace with his Nana a long time ago but felt he needed to be there for his mom who is now upset with him for not bringing DS and he's just miserable up there, he hates being away from us especially so close to Christmas.
My Nana fell around the beginning of the month and cracked three vertebrae and went from mild dementia to 5 or 6 episodes a day and keeps telling us she will be dead before Christmas. So that is a huge issue for us as well.
I know I'm being selfish but it sucks that DS is getting the short end of the stick as far as his first Christmas goes.
Then my parents and sister are having a fit about the Christmas dinner DH and I are planning on making;. It's nice having a husband who graduated from Johnson and Whales sometimes, because 99% of that is all him. Saying that we don't make any "normal food" and they won't have anything to eat. I am so close to telling them not to come, but then my mom will throw a fit and ruin DS's Christmas even more. Oh and on top of everything else I'm getting sick and DS is teething again.

All I want is one good, happy, healthy, non-stressful Christmas Day with DH and DS.

I'm really sorry you're going through all this with your Nanas. But, honestly, your baby won't care what you put on the table or how many cookies you bake. You don't need to be upset about that stuff on his behalf. The more truthful story is that *you* are upset that Christmas isn't meeting with your expectations this year--and I don't blame you at all. So far, it looks like Christmas is going to be very stressful at your house.

But I swear, i have to laugh about the menu. :rotfl2: Sorry. My DD is in culinary school and we've been the recipients of some VERy interesting meals ourselves. It sounds like your relatives are not very adventurous eaters. I'm not a very adventurous eater, either, so if I came to your house for roast duck, brussels sprouts, apple stuff, mint choc brulee, et al, I'd be headed for McDonalds as soon as we left. Although, I probably would eat the potato pancakes...Well, try not to take it personally. I'm sure the food will be fabulous and if they're going to be sticks in the mud, let them bring hot dogs and chips.

Then my parents and sister are having a fit about the Christmas dinner DH and I are planning on making; Roast Duck, Potato Pancakes, Apple Stuffing, Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Green beans, and French Onion Soup. . For desert a Mint Chocolate Creme Brulee. It's nice having a husband who graduated from Johnson and Whales sometimes, because 99% of that is all him. Saying that we don't make any "normal food" and they won't have anything to eat. I am so close to telling them not to come, but then my mom will throw a fit and ruin DS's Christmas even more. Oh and on top of everything else I'm getting sick and DS is teething again.

Well, I think your menu sounds good. I'm not a huge fan of duck but I would eat everything you are offering for sure. Besides, I was taught that as a guest you at least try everything your host is offering, to do the opposite is rude! If they want "normal" food they should cook themselves!

Twenty minutes ago, I had no response to this thread.

Then my kid's teacher sent home her Christmas present to us: a project. Write a brochure discussing the global water problems and solutions, with illustrations of course. It's due the day the kids return from break.

Joy.

Christmas rants huh?

I'll take you up on that. lol

Just really bothered today by how secular the holiday seems to be getting sometimes. It bothers me when people celebrate all the festivities of Christmas, but do not believe in Christ, or couldn't care less about him. It bothers me when Christians seem to not focus on Christ either, but celebrate the rituals of Christmas.

Not something to confront a person on, but since this was open for rants, I thought I would share a mini, personal rant. lol

Take care all

Not to start a debate, I'm just sharing so that you can see there is no reason to feel down. If you research the origins of Christmas celebrations you will find that Christmas festivities are actually a combination of pagan traditions and Christian ones.

Twenty minutes ago, I had no response to this thread.

Then my kid's teacher sent home her Christmas present to us: a project. Write a brochure discussing the global water problems and solutions, with illustrations of course. It's due the day the kids return from break.

Joy.

Oh man would I be mad!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter