Hate Speech Infects DIS Podcast?

I totally agree. I'm afraid the one I downloaded has been replaced by the edited version and if so I'll be really sad. That was one of the funniest things I have ever herd. Not even what they were saying but just the laughter was totally infectious. Please lets make the Dis Unplugged safe from the PC police.

Well, they are the only ones that can edit it. It's a private recording, and they can pretty much do whatever they want with it and the site. Wonder if people found other things in podcasts or on the site offensive if they would edit / remove them? Or if it's something important to them, who cares if it offends anyone else, they arent removing it.. But again, it's one of those things. It's their site, and they can do whatever they want to with it..

It drives me crazy that being “PC” has somehow like the word liberal has become a bad works, crack your kids 7th grade history book and realize that the conscious of America is what gave women the right to vote (80+ years ago), the civil rights movement (60 years ago), the Hispanic immigration (40 years ago), the Gay rights movement (20 years ago) without Americas “PC” conscious these things would be stamped out. These things did not “just happen”. I will quietly step down off my soap box.
:fish:

Quoting Will & Grace - Free, Picking on Bawb - Free, Funny 4th of July hats - $10 (75% off on the 5th), Contagious silly group laughter - Free, Getting a lesson on Civil rights via the DISboards, when I am really just looking for good room discount....PRICELESS!!!!!!!

Quoting Will & Grace - Free, Picking on Bawb - Free, Funny 4th of July hats - $10 (75% off on the 5th), Contagious silly group laughter - Free, Getting a lesson on Civil rights via the DISboards, when I am really just looking for good room discount....PRICELESS!!!!!!!

:lmao: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl: :lmao:

Can’t you people do anything else but parrot funny lines from TV?

You should get outside more.

No, just kidding. I’m done with this. I am going over to the main boards to cheer on the dismantling of the EPCOT sign……

How unfortunate the crew felt it necessary to edit. I thankfully have the unedited version on my iPod and found it very amusing and entertaining. I have to wonder just how sensitive people must be to worry over stuff like this. These guys were not making fun of a solemn experience or poking fun.

Political correctness fun amok again - sigh

I must agree. I didnt think they were doing anything other than having a case of the giggles. Havent we all had those? I think there were just laughing at Bob in general and they way he said things. ( btw I think you do a great job BOB!:>) There was no words spoken against immigrants . Just giggles and that was geared really toward Bob. IMHO Anyone who listens to the podcasts would know better than to think they would be mean like that. As a podcast listener I felt I have come to know them as a caring group of individuals that have made every effort to help all kinds of people .We have the fortune of getting to listen to a great group of people entertain us all every week. People need to lighten up. If a mean comment was made I would not defend them. BUt there wasnt! I am very against racisim ! And I would be the first here protesting. But people need to lighten up. Its that kind of OVER sensitivity that causes real issues where there NONE in the first place.

Very well said! :thumbsup2

Why oh why did I click on this thread?!?!?

I find it amusing that people are upset that someone found something offensive, and then continued to be offensive by saying mean things. PC or not, I wish that there could be more pixie dust and nice things said, than what has been showing up on the message boards. Would people really talk this way to a person standing in front of them, or does the faceless nature of the internet protect people from acting like civil, respectful humans.

This was my first venture to the PODCAST section, and I doubt I will visit again. Some of the posters here seem so funny and enjoyable when I have seen their responses on other threads, and I am saddened by the ugliness shown here.

Perhaps society would not get called out on non-PC language if people would just show some common courtesy and treat people better. No wonder society has such a problem with anger, road rage, shooting people as a way of solving disagreements and nastiness on discussion boards. And no wonder there is still a need for "PC police" :confused3

I find it amusing that people are upset that someone found something offensive,

I would not say anybody is offended that the OP was offended. Its one thing to say you are offended. That's fine. But the baseless and unfounded assetions made by the OP toward Pete and the gang is quite offensive. Especially to those of us who have listened to the podcast for a long time and understand the dynamics of the crew. And anyobody who has listened to the podcast more than once will agree that to suggest the DIS gang needs sensativity sessions is insane at best.

There is not one statement in the original unedited podcast that could even be twisted as racist. Even somebody with less than average intelligece should have been able to dicern that the exchange was about a quote from a television show and BAWB. They were giving Bawb a hard time, laughing at Bawb. Does that offend you also?? Open your ears, Bawb is sooooo offended by it that he spends every Christmas Eve with Kevin and his family. Sheesh people. Learn to listen and lighten up.

The most offensive part of this whole thing is that we have made Pete feel the need to edit something that did not need to be edited for fear of being arrested by the PC police because of a baseless rant by someone who did not know what they were talking about who reacted before thinking.:sad2:

I thought it was funny, I got it. Sorry that some people did not get the jokes, I don't think that it needs to get so heated, I think we can agree to disagree about this and move on to a more enjoyable , fun, WDW topic. that is what these boards are meant for.:wizard:

I would not say anybody is offended that the OP was offended. Its one thing to say you are offended. That's fine. But the baseless and unfounded assetions made by the OP toward Pete and the gang is quite offensive. Especially to those of us who have listened to the podcast for a long time and understand the dynamics of the crew. And anyobody who has listened to the podcast more than once will agree that to suggest the DIS gang needs sensativity sessions is insane at best.

There is not one statement in the original unedited podcast that could even be twisted as racist. Even somebody with less than average intelligece should have been able to dicern that the exchange was about a quote from a television show and BAWB. They were giving Bawb a hard time, laughing at Bawb. Does that offend you also?? Open your ears, Bawb is sooooo offended by it that he spends every Christmas Eve with Kevin and his family. Sheesh people. Learn to listen and lighten up.

The most offensive part of this whole thing is that we have made Pete feel the need to edit something that did not need to be edited for fear of being arrested by the PC police because of a baseless rant by someone who did not know what they were talking about who reacted before thinking.:sad2:

I did not say that anyone was OFFENDED that someone was offended, I said UPSET. And then you just proved my point about the nasty way people talk on discussion boards with the "someone with less than average intellegence should have been able to. . ." Now it is ok to call people stupid too, if they interpret something in a different manner? Sheesh, I am so done with this topic. And coming pretty close to being done with the DIS entirely. I hope I never run into any of these negative folks at WDW, but if I do, I will be pretty sure that it will be the folks complaining about something.

And food for thought, if you tune into Howard Stern (which I do on Sirius) you know what you are getting into. You expect it to be in poor taste to many, but funny to some. I would imagine that even if there are dynamics in this crew that only loyal listeners are privvy to, people tuning into a podcast are expecting warm and fuzzy Disney magic, not something that some people COULD interpret as offensive. And perhaps the crew should be aware that the dynamics are not known by all listeners.

What ever happened to, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything? It seems that is a lesson that no one is teaching their kids anymore. For people who are lauding freedom of speech, you sure are coming across as freedom is ok, as long as you agree with me. Or else you will be seen as having below average intelligence.

I find it amusing that people are upset that someone found something offensive, and then continued to be offensive by saying mean things. PC or not, I wish that there could be more pixie dust and nice things said, than what has been showing up on the message boards. Would people really talk this way to a person standing in front of them, or does the faceless nature of the internet protect people from acting like civil, respectful humans.

This was my first venture to the PODCAST section, and I doubt I will visit again. Some of the posters here seem so funny and enjoyable when I have seen their responses on other threads, and I am saddened by the ugliness shown here.

Perhaps society would not get called out on non-PC language if people would just show some common courtesy and treat people better. No wonder society has such a problem with anger, road rage, shooting people as a way of solving disagreements and nastiness on discussion boards. And no wonder there is still a need for "PC police" :confused3

I did not say that anyone was OFFENDED that someone was offended, I said UPSET. And then you just proved my point about the nasty way people talk on discussion boards with the "someone with less than average intellegence should have been able to. . ." Now it is ok to call people stupid too, if they interpret something in a different manner? Sheesh, I am so done with this topic. And coming pretty close to being done with the DIS entirely. I hope I never run into any of these negative folks at WDW, but if I do, I will be pretty sure that it will be the folks complaining about something.

And food for thought, if you tune into Howard Stern (which I do on Sirius) you know what you are getting into. You expect it to be in poor taste to many, but funny to some. I would imagine that even if there are dynamics in this crew that only loyal listeners are privvy to, people tuning into a podcast are expecting warm and fuzzy Disney magic, not something that some people COULD interpret as offensive. And perhaps the crew should be aware that the dynamics are not known by all listeners.

What ever happened to, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything? It seems that is a lesson that no one is teaching their kids anymore. For people who are lauding freedom of speech, you sure are coming across as freedom is ok, as long as you agree with me. Or else you will be seen as having below average intelligence.

Absolutely wonderful! :banana: There was no reason this needed to get so heated - unless you count the fact that the idea orginally presented goes against the majority of the people's opinion on this board which has truly upset that majority.

I did not say that anyone was OFFENDED that someone was offended, I said UPSET.

I hope I never run into any of these negative folks at WDW, but if I do, I will be pretty sure that it will be the folks complaining about something.

This whole thing was started by somebody who wanted to complain and stir the pot. As many have said - the op and you and anybody else has every right to be offended and to say so - even if its for illogical reasons. It's your right. But what makes this heated is when folks start backing up their anger at the hosts by making false claims as the OP did. Nothing out of line or unkind was said in the podcast and nobody poked fun at the new citizens. It was a funny moment and had absolutley nothing to do with the folks that became American citizens on the fourth of July. To make this into such a huge thing you have to really use your imagination and assume the hosts were thinking things that were not said..If you do that you may get yourself all bent out of shape over nothing- and that is your right, but that would be nobody's problem but your own.

It was an excellent podcast and I am offeneded and upset that the "politically correct podcast nazi police" made Pete feel as if he had to edit something so innocent and funny.

I'd downloaded the podcast Tuesday--before it got edited--and listened to it for the first time last night. This was after reading this thread.

I'm not a PC person, but it does get a bit wearying when anytime a person finds something offensive, they're called PC and denounced as rudely as the OP was. Sometimes what someone finds offensive may seem ridiculous to us, but that does that mean there can't be times when such a reaction is justified?

I'm one of the rare people who's never watched "Will & Grace" and if I hadn't read on this thread that the quotes came from an episode of that show and that the DisUnplugged gang was laughing at the reference to it, I honestly would have been a bit surprised at the tone about immigrants. It's not that it was over-the-top offensive, just a bit out of character for a group of people we all know to be so charitable towards others. I think Pete did the right thing by editing it after realizing how it could come across to some listeners. One of the things I admire most about Pete is his drive to always "do the right thing"...and he does walk the talk, unlike many others.

You know, there were a lot of things said on Seinfeld that were laughing-out-loud hilarious, yet if they were brought up out of context to someone who didn't get the reference, they could very well seem offensive. It doesn't mean people don't have a sense of humor, it's the fact that out-of-context, some things just aren't that funny.

Karla B.

It wasn't even close to offensive to me, I just didn't find the overall tone of the whole segment to be particularly tasteful.

After the F-15 "run, Castro's coming!" comments, I had a vision of this thread's existence.

It's not that it was over-the-top offensive, just a bit out of character for a group of people we all know to be so charitable towards others. I think Pete did the right thing by editing it after realizing how it could come across to some listeners. One of the things I admire most about Pete is his drive to always "do the right thing"...and he does walk the talk, unlike many others.
:thumbsup2 Well said!

I listened to the original podcast this morning, and while I found it very funny, there was a little discomfort in listening to the hilarity that might have been misperceived as a poke at our immigrant population. I wondered at the time why Pete hadn't edited out that portion, at least partially. The podcasts are ALWAYS funny, but this one seemed like it had an edge to it. I'm guessing that Pete, always sensitive and considerate to ALL his listeners, decided that it gave him that same uncomfortable feeling, so edited out the questionable section. Kudos to the whole team for making an excellent podcast, and especially Pete, for being so thoughtful!

Hi everyone:

First let me say that it was not our intention to upset or offend anyone. We were busting on Bob, and quoting a line from a "Will and Grace" episode. I apologize to anyone who was offended, as that was absolutely not our intent. As such, I've edited the comments out of the show.

However, I do need to say this to the original poster - I understand the sensitivity of certain issues, but to characterize what we said in the show as hate speech is patently ridiculous. Personally, I'm fed up with the ultra-sensitive 'PC' crowd who think the mere mention of certain words in any context other than groveling reverence is an affront to an entire group of people. I don't engage in hate speech and never have. If you're going to accuse someone of that, I suggest you learn the meaning of the phrase before you publicly accuse someone of it.

Pete

Hi everyone:

First let me say that it was not our intention to upset or offend anyone. We were busting on Bob, and quoting a line from a "Will and Grace" episode. I apologize to anyone who was offended, as that was absolutely not our intent. As such, I've edited the comments out of the show.

However, I do need to say this to the original poster - I understand the sensitivity of certain issues, but to characterize what we said in the show as hate speech is patently ridiculous. Personally, I'm fed up with the ultra-sensitive 'PC' crowd who think the mere mention of certain words in any context other than groveling reverence is an affront to an entire group of people. I don't engage in hate speech and never have. If you're going to accuse someone of that, I suggest you learn the meaning of the phrase before you publicly accuse someone of it.

Pete

AMEN Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry the majority of us are standing behind you and have defended the podcast team. The OP was outrageous to even throw out the term "hate speech" and many of us let him know it. Please, please keep up the great job you guys are doing and don't let a ridiculous few ruin it for the rest of us.

I think that editing the show was cowardly.

It had nothing to do with demeaning immigrants. It did, however, have everything to do with ragging on Bawb.

I am boycotting the next show because *I* am offended that it was edited for cheap, unfounded P.C. reasons.

I think that editing the show was cowardly.

It had nothing to do with demeaning immigrants. It did, however, have everything to do with ragging on Bawb.

I am boycotting the next show because *I* am offended that it was edited for cheap, unfounded P.C. reasons.

I don't agree. I think that it was the responsible thing to do. Bawb was trying to share his experience and the response was silly and lasted way too long. Pete would normally edit some of it out but he is getting lazy. ;) Some people are overly sensitive and some are thick skinned. It's a no win situation. Lets move past this and get back to why we are all here, our love of Disney. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter