Has DVC started using Keurig?

You could virtually bet the farm on that one.

If they could do that, why wouldn't they already have done it with the cash resorts? There are still more cash rooms than DVC rooms onsite, now that Disney has already put the Keurig type units into the Deluxe rooms, it has greatly diminished any negotiating power for such a deal for only DVC.

I think we're missing THE most important factor here and it hasn't even been mentioned.

One must factor in the profit of selling K-Cups at the resort shops too. I'm betting they wouldn't be $11-12/box like Target and BB&B, either. ;)

They'll sell primarily those "sample" sleeves with 3-4 cups in them in a wide variety of blends and they'll sell them for $5-7. Watch my words.

With a mostly captive audience, it's a virtual gold mine for Disney.

Completely agree. I'd love to bring a box of my coffee on the plane so i don't have subject myself to the "coffee" they sell in the parks as I make iced lattes that you can't make in a pot.

People who don't like change, and feel the need to "pour" their cup of coffee thinking the 15 seconds it takes to brew a new cup is too long may decide it's not so bad after all. I personally would rather wait 15 seconds for a new brew than have a pot sitting around and then wasted when my husband doesn't finish it.

The Keurig was the best purchase we've made in ages. So versatile and easy. Others may feel the same way after trying it at DVC.

Completely agree. I'd love to bring a box of my coffee on the plane so i don't have subject myself to the "coffee" they sell in the parks as I make iced lattes that you can't make in a pot.

People who don't like change, and feel the need to "pour" their cup of coffee thinking the 15 seconds it takes to brew a new cup is too long may decide it's not so bad after all. I personally would rather wait 15 seconds for a new brew than have a pot sitting around and then wasted when my husband doesn't finish it.

The Keurig was the best purchase we've made in ages. So versatile and easy. Others may feel the same way after trying it at DVC.

Except that the Mr. Coffee carafe is sitting on the table and I can fill my cup from the carafe without leaving my chair and enjoying my breakfast on the balcony. A single cup coffee maker would require me to leave my breakfast sitting outside while I go back inside to brew a cup of coffee. Not very convenient or relaxing.

Now imagine a Grand Villa with 12 people wanting coffee and refills. Not convenient at all.

Tried it. Don't like it. In addition to the waste, k-cups are too expensive per cup and have the "wrong" amount of grounds per cup for the way we like our coffee brewed. Then again, we are coffee snobs. We like fresh ground beans, not something that was ground weeks or months before. We like fresh locally roasted coffees where we can get them - not Starbucks. We like lighter roasts. We prefer press pots to drip makers, but either is preferable to a Keurig. At Disney, we bring our own beans (although we do stoop to grinding them on Friday before we leave so we don't need to pack a grinder).

Don't get me started on tea (good teas, loose leaf, with tea leaves that look nearly whole after brewing. In a pot without the filter - filter when you pour. I prefer Japanese iron teapots, warmed beforehand with hot water, but I'll do ceramic. Lipton is an abomination).

I haven't seen the Keurig that low but have seen like the Mr. Coffee I think it is.

I honestly don't know if they were Keurig brand or just licensed to use the name, which I have seen a few of, but that's the price I have seen on ones with the Keurig name on it. We also have a seconds store that sells ones with damaged boxes for less. But our Target quite often gets deals that are just as good or better. I have noticed they tend to have better clearance and sale (probably price matches, as the in store price is often lower than the Ad price) deals than other Targets near us.

The ones in the resorts are not Keurig. They are Cuisinart. Except for a very few in some of the Club Level rooms.

We drink a lot of coffee in our villa, and always make a full pot. We would ask for a regular brewer if we walked in and found the single cup thing.

Just think of the choices of coffee you would have. The current brand of coffee they give is lousy at best. We bring our own coffee when we go. So if they went with Keurigs we would still bring our own. If they didn't supply the coffee and put it toward housekeeping or upgrades to the room I would be all for it. I would love to have my Newmans Own in the morning.

Tried it. Don't like it. In addition to the waste, k-cups are too expensive per cup and have the "wrong" amount of grounds per cup for the way we like our coffee brewed. Then again, we are coffee snobs. We like fresh ground beans, not something that was ground weeks or months before.

Keurig has eco-friendly, reusable strainers, in which you can use your own ground coffee. That's what I do. It's actually better (to me) than brewing an entire pot. When I have time, I grind my own coffee, it's a process so I don't like waste. I can measure out exactly what I need for my cup, put it in the mini reusable filter and it's exactly how I like it. No waste.

Keurig has eco-friendly, reusable strainers, in which you can use your own ground coffee. That's what I do. It's actually better (to me) than brewing an entire pot. When I have time, I grind my own coffee, it's a process so I don't like waste. I can measure out exactly what I need for my cup, put it in the mini reusable filter and it's exactly how I like it. No waste.

But in that case, why wouldn't I use the cheaper and better press pot? Or brew for my whole family. We go through four big cups of coffee in a morning - more on weekends. What does a Keurig buy me that a press pot or drip machine doesn't have?

I play in a band, our guitar player owns a water distribution company near NYC. We practice in his warehouse. They started carrying Keurig on the wholesale level about 2 years ago, and it's now nearly half their business. I would have to double check, but I'm quite sure they supply the keurig machines to the offices, hotels and other customers for a very nominal fee as long as they have a service contract. The service contract also allows for very cheap pricing for the cups. I like to brew my own, but I can get them for about $9 for 24 cups and this is not even their wholesale price. I specifically remember asking him once about a hotel customer, and I'm quite sure he said they gave them about 150 brewers for almost nothing. They make money on delivering the cups.

I would be shocked if Disney/DVC couldn't negotiate a deal to get the machines for pennies on the dollar.

Somebody commented before that this would be tough in the larger units, like GV's, b/c people would be waiting for their coffee. We brought one last year when we had 11 people in a GV at Kidani and it worked great. It takes about 10 seconds per cup, about as fast as you can pour. It also doesn't run out, like the pots that are in the units do.

I also was disturbed to read that some people here are touting their passion for coffee to the tune of 12 cups a day!? 1 cup a day is technically unhealthy, more than that is downright dangerous. Drinking more than one cup of coffee a day can increase the risk of heart disease, also increases the chances of cadiovasuler inflammation. The caffeine in coffee can be difficult for your bones, as it causes increased levels of calcium in the urine. Too much coffee can cause ulcers, cancers, and dehydration that can lead to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and more.

NOBODY should be drinking 12 cups of coffee a day, this isn't just my opinion but that of the medical community and is no joking matter. Sorry to go OT, but it's a bit disturbing that people are consuming that much coffee. Of course, much of the over consumption is perpetuated by the Dunkin Donuts of the world who offer up 40 ounce coffees, but I don't want to get off on too much of a rant....

We love our Keurig at home, since we don't get up at the same time. I do agree it's not quite as convenient for a sit down breakfast.

OT - reading this thread made me realize I could give up my Pod Habit and save enough to pay the annual MF at DVC. :scared1:

My sister has a keurig, it makes sense for her as she drinks a cup per day and lives alone. I've tried a couple of the different kcups and have not been that impressed with how the coffee tastes. I think it does a better job with tea than coffee.

When we are at WDW, I just have one cup in the am, so the Starbucks VIA works for me.

And she is on her 2nd machine, as the original died 3 months after purchase. Company replaced it with no real questions, just took it back to Bed Bath Beyond and they gave her a new one.

I really hope DVC doesn't ever go to those Keurig coffee makers. Besides the fact that you can't get up and just pour more coffee, it seems they're not very "green". For each cup, from what I remember, you have to produce paper waste. I'm hoping those things are just a temporary fad.

I completely agree with you. I am not a fan of Keurig.

We drink a lot of coffee in our villa, and always make a full pot. We would ask for a regular brewer if we walked in and found the single cup thing.

same here. I bring my own coffee since I drink far more than the little bit provided, and I don't want to deal with all the little cups and such. I don't like the tremendous waste that comes from those cups and don't think Disney would provide the reuseable ones. I like to top off my coffee anhd not have a whole cup all the time.

I really hope DVC doesn't ever go to those Keurig coffee makers. Besides the fact that you can't get up and just pour more coffee, it seems they're not very "green". For each cup, from what I remember, you have to produce paper waste. I'm hoping those things are just a temporary fad.
I totally agree! I think Keurig is the worst idea anyone has ever come up with as far as "being green" goes. I refuse to use one, and I hope DVC never goes to that. Those who wish to have just ONE CUP of coffee at a time can bring their own Keurig if they want to put one in their owner's locker.

But in that case, why wouldn't I use the cheaper and better press pot? Or brew for my whole family. We go through four big cups of coffee in a morning - more on weekends. What does a Keurig buy me that a press pot or drip machine doesn't have?

I do not have to drink stale coffee my dh brewed an hour before I got up. Every cup is freshly brewed and perfect, not getting old and scorched sitting on a hot plate.

Now when I have a house full of company, I drag out the Bunn drip. But for everyday use for just 2, I love our Keurig.

Laura

I have a both. When on my way out the door I grab a cup from the Keurig. When at home for the day, or entertaining I brew" (although I prefer perked coffee...I know showing my age). I don't always sit and finish a cup of coffe and totally enjoy the capability to "freshen up" my coffee to get it hot. So, if planning on staying home I usually brew a pot.

I like the idea of the pouches they use at DVC. Saves the step of measuring the coffee, but still gives you a decent amount.

I don't think that the benefit makes it worth consideration.

Will more people buy contracts because of a coffee maker?

Will existing owners sell their contracts because they don't get a certain coffee maker? (never mind, if we sell, someone else has to buy, no net loss).

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter