Has anyone ever had anything stolen?

Is it a stupid idea to bring a laptop? My DH doesn't travel anywhere w/o it, even on vacation. He uses it to keep up with work (even on vacation:rolleyes1 ) and we also use it to download photos (we take 100s each day and no card could hold all our photos.) We took it with us on a Princess cruise last year and all was ok, but I worried about it.

Not stupid, but not smart in my opinion, especially now that memory sticks are so cheap. And while losing a $15 memory stick and a thousand photos on it would be a disappointment, it's far less tragic than losing a $2500 laptop and ALL your pictures.

When we cruised 9/06 we thought our snorkel equipment we brought from home would be safe while we grabbed something to eat on CC when we got back DH's snorkel and mask were gone! We waited around to see if anyone would return it thinking it was picked up by mistake. We have bought a new set since then but if someone can walk off with snorkel equipment, they'll walk off with anything. We learned our lesson and won't do that ever again.
Our name and address were written on the strap with perma marker. It was our fault and we didn't let it ruin our wonderful magical time. My advice, get a mesh bag and take your stuff with you.

Just off the Wonder 11/11/07 & my daughter opens her backpack in the rental car & discovers her ipod & Nintendo DS are missing. Her cell phone was not taken. Called lost & found but not holding out much hope these will be found. Once the ship comes back on Thursday & they "search again" they will have Risk Management contact me. I purchased my own travel insurance from travelex. Does anyone know if they cover ipods & DS consoles?
My sister's IPOD was stolen as well during disbarking. We are sure it was a CM or security at the port. She did pack it, and of course regretted it. She thought it would be safe since it was in employees' hands. It reminds me of when my DH worked in security at Nordstrom - the reason they don't have any security tags on clothes is something like 80% of theft is internal theft - employees stealing clothes. So they have the cameras to watch the employees closely. She did get her IPOD covered under insurance. In the future, I'm sure she'd keep valuables with her. Also, both my DH and I bring our laptops all the time with us everywhere and never had it stolen. I think the things employees can put in their pockets are most likely to be taken. Just my opinion.
Good idea on the stateroom magnet. Even way down at the end of a boofoo hallway in 5650, I had my Stitch magnet stolen. Grrrrrrrr!
My other sister got her magnet stolen, and it had tons of personal information on it (last name, cabin number). Sometimes I think it might be teenagers having what they call "fun." That is why I also make two magnets of each, in case one gets stolen!

My sister's IPOD was stolen as well during disbarking. We are sure it was a CM or security at the port. She did pack it, and of course regretted it. She thought it would be safe since it was in employees' hands. It reminds me of when my DH worked in security at Nordstrom - the reason they don't have any security tags on clothes is something like 80% of theft is internal theft - employees stealing clothes. So they have the cameras to watch the employees closely. She did get her IPOD covered under insurance. In the future, I'm sure she'd keep valuables with her. Also, both my DH and I bring our laptops all the time with us everywhere and never had it stolen. I think the things employees can put in their pockets are most likely to be taken. Just my opinion.

My other sister got her magnet stolen, and it had tons of personal information on it (last name, cabin number). Sometimes I think it might be teenagers having what they call "fun." That is why I also make two magnets of each, in case one gets stolen!
people can be so cruel.

Last cruise on the Magic, my sons crocs were stolen at the pool...they weren't new at all, but he was so dissapointed!!
We never take a lot of stuff to the pool area, just a strict minimum, but even that got stolen ! :sad2:

Luckily they still had some Mickey crocs in the shops on board, so I could buy him new ones..:yay:

I'm happy and Thankful to report that DH left his very $$$ sunglasses lying on a table during our embarkment photo onboard the Magic 10/27. He didn't realize it till be were eating at topsiders. He went back down to lost and found and the area of embarkment but NO LUCK... The sunglasses were returned by another cruiser who found them a few hours later. Disney Magic RESTORED!!

I am sorry for those who wern't as fortunate.

Remember, the only time your luggage has to be unlocked is when you check it on the plane.
We always lock our bags when we put them out in the hall the night before, and unlock them before checking them with the airline (or if customs/immigration wants to inspect them).

Remember, the only time your luggage has to be unlocked is when you check it on the plane.
We always lock our bags when we put them out in the hall the night before, and unlock them before checking them with the airline (or if customs/immigration wants to inspect them).

Great advice. We always lock our luggage and use wire ties for the airlines.
We never had anything stolen but DD did leave a pair of sandels on CC. We were lucky that they were turned in to lost and found. Sorry to those who had things stolen.

I lock all my checked luggage with the airlines (domestic flights). I use the approved TSA locks so if they need to check, they do not have to cut them off.

On our last cruise in May 2006 we had our Mickey luggage straps taken off 3 suitcases. It happened after we set them outside our cabin the night before disembarkation and when we picked them up in the terminal. Didn't even notice it until we were putting them in the car. Called DCL from the airport but they didn't find them.

Also, DD's college aged friend left her swimsuit, skirt and top hanging on the bathroom door in their cabin. She called the day after we got off but the stateroom attendant hadn't turned them in.

DCL did send me some luggage tags and our trip insurance paid some on the clothes.

I'm not too thrilled anymore about setting out our suitcases the last night.

I hate to say it but the only place I have ever had things stolen is Disneyland Paris - and both times it was pickpockets. The first time I had my purse stolen from my pocket (my own fault probably - should have put it away in my bag) in the crowded pre-show for Honey I Shrunk the Kids when everyone was jostling and pushing to get into the show. The second incident was last summer when my DS had his camera pinched from his pocket - it was an old camera so he wasn't too bothered about that, but he was gutted to lose his memory card with all of his photos from a 4 day trip.:sad1:

Our the last member cruise I had just dragged two floaties from the bike rental all the way back over to our spot and my DS used it for 5 minutes then left it on the shore and less than 2 minutes later someone made off with it. I asked around and nobody fessed up to taking it. Sad, very very sad.

Unfortunately, this probably happens fairly often. I've had to stop others from 'borrowing' ours. :sad2: If it does disappear, they'll give you replacements if you show them your rental receipt. :thumbsup2

For digital cameras you should make the first photo a shot of your contact information. I have a index card that I have my information on. That is the first show on all my memory cards.

Our the last member cruise I had just dragged two floaties from the bike rental all the way back over to our spot and my DS used it for 5 minutes then left it on the shore and less than 2 minutes later someone made off with it. I asked around and nobody fessed up to taking it. Sad, very very sad.
In order to avoid this, we always buy the cheap, clear neon colored floating rafts and bring them with us. If someone tried to steal them, we'd know it in a minute!

Once at a water park in Indiana, I had the weirdest inner tube experience. I had rented an inner tube and was bobbing in the wave pool, holding it in one hand. A kid swam up, grabbed it, and started yelling, "Let go of my tube! You stole my tube!" I just glared at him as though he was nuts and told him to get lost. I wonder if he ever manages to get a tube from some sucker with that routine?

In order to avoid this, we always buy the cheap, clear neon colored floating rafts and bring them with us. If someone tried to steal them, we'd know it in a minute!

Once at a water park in Indiana, I had the weirdest inner tube experience. I had rented an inner tube and was bobbing in the wave pool, holding it in one hand. A kid swam up, grabbed it, and started yelling, "Let go of my tube! You stole my tube!" I just glared at him as though he was nuts and told him to get lost. I wonder if he ever manages to get a tube from some sucker with that routine?
that is too funny, I would have had to find that kids parents and give them an earful. I had my receipt but it was the fact I had to lug them from the bike rental place (because I was going to check out where bike rental was but decided to get the floats and report back to the fam) and we were sitting in front of the pavillions near Cookies. I can still see people giving me funny looks a petite 5'2 girl lugging a round tube and a raft down the walk way.

Just off the Wonder 11/11/07 & my daughter opens her backpack in the rental car & discovers her ipod & Nintendo DS are missing. Her cell phone was not taken. Called lost & found but not holding out much hope these will be found. Once the ship comes back on Thursday & they "search again" they will have Risk Management contact me. I purchased my own travel insurance from travelex. Does anyone know if they cover ipods & DS consoles?

Just an update: My travel insurance company paid me for the ipod & DS. Thankfully my wife saved the original receipts as they were required. I did not have original receipts for the DS games & ipod case so that part of my claim was denied.

Thankfully, the new luggage has the sentry locks that can be opened by TSA so you can lock your bags again.

I lost my watch on CC - it was in the pocket of my beach bag, and I think I missed the pocket when I went to slip it back in when I checked the time. This was before lunch. We packed up all our stuff and took it with us to Cookies, then up to Marges Barges (only to find out our excursion had been canceled). So back to the beach we went - and set up camp in about the same spot. About 5 minutes later we heard a lady a few chairs over asking "did anyone loose a watch?" this was about 2 hours later - it had been in the sand the whole time.

For digital cameras you should make the first photo a shot of your contact information. I have a index card that I have my information on. That is the first show on all my memory cards.

Another great idea we're going to put to use. Thanks! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter