Has anyone ever had anything stolen?

The_Deyos

I may be King of the Realm, but the Queen holds th
I've been looking though the posts, and some people are asking about if it's safe to "leave" things sitting on the beach at Castaway Cay.

I assume that you have to be careful in ports other than Castaway Cay, just as you would travelling to any other city around the world? However, what about onboard the ship or on Castaway Cay?

For example, if my DW goes off to get a beverage while the DDs and I are in the water playing at Castaway Cay, should we be worried about our stuff disappearing?

So, does anyone on the DIS boards have any "bad" experiences on their respective cruises with items being stolen or disappearing?

Thanks!

Nope! We don't take much with us to CC. KTTW cards are in water proof holders on lanyards. Cameras are wrapped and left on the chair, but we're never out of eye shot. You still need to be careful with your valuables on CC.

Poconoboatniks

Not at CC, but actually ON the ship. My neice went with us and she worked for Radio Disney at the time. They had just given all of the Radio Disney CM's these nice heavy red fleeces with the Radio Disney logo on them. It was stolen from the Mickey pool area. :(

This will be interesting to watch. I have only had one cruise, and didn't have any problems on that one, either on the ship or on CC or even in port. I hope others share!

I have been to Castaway Cay 6 times and have never had anything stolen. I do think you still need to be precautious anywhere you go.

Teri

Too many times, things have "disappeared" by the mickey pool.....considering you leave almost everything in your room, and you don't bring much to the pool - just be carefull....We've had lanyards full of pins, hats, and towels all disappear......we checked with CM's and lost & found right up to departure day and nothing was ever returned. I've stopped trying to figure it out. I am sure 99% of the people there are just trying to have a good time - and the 1% ruin it for everyone...we were cruising with 20 people - we bought a new lanyard and then each of the other children traveling with us gave up a pin each to make the child feel better - but it is just rotten......so my advise is not to leave it to chance - do not leave anything "valuable" unattended....sounds ridiculous - but unattended things seem to disappear.....and ruin a good time - especially when the kids continue to cry

Sorry to be harsh but... while it would be nice to believe that all DCL employees are above the weaknesses of the flesh, is there any realistic way you could expect the same of all the 'guests'? :confused3

If you think either 2b so, I have this bridge for sale..... pirate:

Leaving anything of value in the open and unattended is what I call opening the window of opportunity. Better to keep that window tightly closed and locked when ever possible.

Some fool took my flip flops from under my chair on CC. We were in the water and all that was at the chairs were our towels, and mine and DH's shoes. His were left alone and mine got taken. They weren't worth anything as they were a couple of years old and had come from WalMart. I only used them for cruises/beach trips and quick trips to the mailbox at home. I puzzled over that one for a long time and all I could figure is that some fool had come to CC barefoot and decided that it got too uncomfortable. That or they lost their shoes in the water or something and needed a replacement pair. Whatever. It was stupid and I'm sure they ended up in the trash once the person got back on the boat. Despite the fact that they weren't valuable, it still made me furious and put a damper on an otherwise fun day. Jerks are everywhere.

Disneefun said:
Some fool took my flip flops from under my chair on CC. We were in the water and all that was at the chairs were our towels, and mine and DH's shoes. His were left alone and mine got taken.

I'm sure there are plenty of situations like this where people have stollen thing on accident. For example, in Disneefun's case, it is possible that the people in the chair beside them owned a pair of flip flops just like Disneefun's. As they get ready to head back to the ship, DH stopped by to gather all their things before heading back to the ship. See's the flip flops that look just like his wife's and assumes they've accidently gotten under this other chair. So he gather's them up along with the rest of their belongings, and doesn't realize the wife is already WEARING her flip flops until after they get back to their cabin.

disneefun...that would have been me, you see, my son buried my flip flops in the sand and couldn't find them ever again....
NO, JUST KIDDING!!! But really, my son did bury my flip flops in the sand and couldn't find them. Since I had 2 other pairs on board, I just decided to barefoot it for the rest of the day. But the thought did cross my mind! (again, just kidding ;) )
Another funny thing that kept happening to us was the story of the boomerang sippy cup. We bought a bunch of disposable sippy cups with us and everytime we tried to leave it on a tray to dispose of it, a CM would come up to us and give it back to us. If we tried to leave it at dinner,
our table servers would run it back to us. Finally, we did leave it somewhere successfully or so we thought, what did we see on the lost and found table going through customs? Yes! Our sippy cup! :lmao:

Sorry, sorry, that's not on topic...
we kept our stuff we left out to a minimal and kept a sharp eye out...everything safe and sound.

I've just always figured why tempt people? Lock and key is not always necessary but out of sight out of mind. Cover up those valuables and your stuff in general and then no one is tempted. I may be a bit of a Pollyanna but I don't think there are too many thief types lurking on DCL or CC scoping out your stuff and waiting for you to get up so they can snag it. My opinion is that some people happen by things they like with no thoughts in their mind originally of taking it but when the opportunity presents itself, whammo, your item is gone!. Just don't give them the opportunity and the temptation and you will be o.k. IMHO. :)

Well...

... I guess you got me. I'm the one who rolls down our big luggage - but EMPTY so I can toss in all the fun stuff I find unattended.... NOT!

We've had 4 visits to castaway caye and the various ports. Plus we've have a total of 15 cruises to various places and cannot recall ever having had anything lost or stolen of significance. Not, curiously on our last sailing which was a Carnival 8 day voyage I thought we might have had an $8000 solid gold watch taken. Butit turned up in our luggage back home. But while it was "missing" I was silently livid... while trying to tell myself that it would turn up in the luggage. I must be getting older since I had forgotten I had packed it... or maybe one of my kids packed it for me! WHo knows?

ANd for what it's worth I can't recall having seen a thread complaining of theft problems on Disney cruises as being pandemic. But as the other Captain cited above - it is common sense NOT TO TEMPT strangers by leaving valuables in plain site as an easy opportunity for a cheap thrill.

NOw, we have had a mamber of our party quasi-assaulted in a Paris MEtro station by a bunch of kids who swarmed her and rifled through her backpack purse making off with a wallet. That was amazing to experience... as it was simple minded young thugs swarming to steal a few francs. Aside from that... we've seen more folks concerned about crime in the USA. And that goes for international folks who view the US as a very violent culture. Of course, all they usually see is our entertainment in movies and TV which glaorizes crime and violence all too often.

Oh well... cheers... I gotta go change a stinky diaper.

:rolleyes:

Psssssst....... Captain......

on our last sailing which was a Carnival 8 day voyage I thought we might have had an $8000 solid gold watch taken. Butit turned up in our luggage back home

You're overpaying on your watches! ;)

:rotfl2:

The_Deyos said:
I've been looking though the posts, and some people are asking about if it's safe to "leave" things sitting on the beach at Castaway Cay.

I assume that you have to be careful in ports other than Castaway Cay, just as you would travelling to any other city around the world? However, what about onboard the ship or on Castaway Cay?

For example, if my DW goes off to get a beverage while the DDs and I are in the water playing at Castaway Cay, should we be worried about our stuff disappearing?

So, does anyone on the DIS boards have any "bad" experiences on their respective cruises with items being stolen or disappearing?

Thanks!

I remember someone on this board saying they had an iPod stolen from their room!

I'm one of those trusting souls. I figure if somebody needs my jacket, shoes, etc. they must be very sad and desperate. I've never had a problem anywhere (Disney or otherwise).

An acquaintance shared the Walt room with friends on one of the first cruises. They came back to the room and the door was propped open. Their cd's were playing and the maid/steward was cleaning. Somebody stole their cd's. It's a pretty big suite so it could have been a passer-by or the cm. I hate to think of anybody who loves/works for Disney doing that.

When we went on the cruise in 99 my friend and I were passing either the Walt or the Roy room. Now in my naivette I think the suites are for the ultra-rich Bill Gates type people. A CM was going in there. We asked if the guests were in there and maybe we could ask them (pretty please) to have a look-see (to see how the other half lives). The CM said, "come on in". We assume it was empty and she was dusting or something. Now we look around (in awe) and it was beautiful. We took picture of the piano, the pictures of the family, etc. And in one room there were a few Disney bags on the floor. ACK. My friend and I looked at each other and thought, why did this CM let us in? It didn't make me secure. We left right away.

Now my dh and I do the spread. Stuff neatly around the room. Always bags, maybe a pair of shoes--something. This room was spotless and looked unlived in. I felt sooo guilty going in there when it was occupied. Ok, I feel like I've confessed.

DVCconvert said:
Psssssst....... Captain......

You're overpaying on your watches! ;)

:rotfl2:

OK.... I got it on sale. It's not a Cartier or Rolex or anything like that... and frankly I think it's kind of subtle. I only mention it as such to underscore the gravity of my annoyance. It's not like I lost track of a Swatch or Timex... not to say these are any less invaluable as time pieces and all.

At any rate.... DVCconvert... do you have a watch dealer where I can get any bargains that can't be beat? I'm all ears!!! :earboy2:

captaincrash said:
OK.... I got it on sale. It's not a Cartier or Rolex or anything like that... and frankly I think it's kind of subtle. I only mention it as such to underscore the gravity of my annoyance. It's not like I lost track of a Swatch or Timex... not to say these are any less invaluable as time pieces and all.

At any rate.... DVCconvert... do you have a watch dealer where I can get any bargains that can't be beat? I'm all ears!!! :earboy2:

I'm all ears too! Normally I'd only spend a couple hundred on a watch, but I'm about to have a son, and I'd like to have something to pass down to him which will remind him of me. Figure you can't go wrong with a watch that's worn every day. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Rolex Submariner, a 16610 or 16610LV (green).

As to the topic at hand...I threw in a cellphone in our luggage at the last minute. And it just happened to be something we weren't carrying on. Needless to say, it mysteriously got lost. When I got back and reported it, someone had indeed used it. It was a prepaid, so no big loss. And the power adapter wasn't with it (forget if I packed it separately or forgot altogether), so there was still some credit left. Had to buy a new phone, but got a replacement sim card with some credit on it. BTW, this wasn't on a Disney cruise, but rather on a Celebrity cruise.

It got me a bit worried though, so I'm thinking I might try to leave the laptop at home this time. I kinda need it, just so I can download all the pictures off of our camera (my wife can fill up a 512MB card in about a day). The cards are a bit expensive (xd, not a more common type like sd or compactflash), so I really need something to offload the pics to.

captaincrash said:
Well...

NOw, we have had a mamber of our party quasi-assaulted in a Paris MEtro station by a bunch of kids who swarmed her and rifled through her backpack purse making off with a wallet. That was amazing to experience... as it was simple minded young thugs swarming to steal a few francs. Aside from that... we've seen more folks concerned about crime in the USA. And that goes for international folks who view the US as a very violent culture. Of course, all they usually see is our entertainment in movies and TV which glaorizes crime and violence all too often.

Oh well... cheers... I gotta go change a stinky diaper.

:rolleyes:

I actually felt safer in Florida than i do walking around are local city here in Britain...i see the police there and see that there a law not too be messed with i see the police over here and sometimes want too laugh.
Every where has there bad lot and i will say that we travelled too france and we found the kids over there too have no manners and are very unruly...well you only have too see the riots with all the teenagers in paris the other day too see that...just wouldn't happen here in Britain.

Marv :wave:

josetann said:
I'm all ears too! Normally I'd only spend a couple hundred on a watch, but I'm about to have a son, and I'd like to have something to pass down to him which will remind him of me. Figure you can't go wrong with a watch that's worn every day. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Rolex Submariner, a 16610 or 16610LV (green).

As to the topic at hand....

It got me a bit worried though, so I'm thinking I might try to leave the laptop at home this time. I kinda need it, just so I can download all the pictures off of our camera (my wife can fill up a 512MB card in about a day). The cards are a bit expensive (xd, not a more common type like sd or compactflash), so I really need something to offload the pics to.

On all points I'd have the following...

This is a pic of what my watch looks like (Cartier COPIED my watch as my style predates it)..

3536101_tp.jpg

I'll PM you the perticulars of my shopping angles and what I paid. I'll also PM my ROlex thoughts to keep the content here relevant.

So on the laptop... we bring one as we use it for several things... such as playing DVD movies, games, storing and processing photos as well as internet access. So we will continue to pack it.

And on the alternative front... they sell mass storage devices that are little move then a small hard drive with a flash reader and batter. The price out at between about $100 for a KIT to $500 or so for a high end Epson P-4000 with an 80 gig drive and a VGA screen with 4 times the pixwl elements for the sharpest hand held viewing screen on the planet. I actually have a 1st generation P-1000 with this same screen and a 10Gig drive. It is indded the sharpest hand held screen on the planet.

I would recommend you either buy more cards; or 2nd bring the notebook; or 3rd) buy a portable mass storage device with a decent screen and you have a device for sharing images with friends as well as mass storage without the weight or bulk of a notebook computer.

I've never had anything taken from off the beach at CC (and we take lots of junk!) but I've had clothes (a brand new bathing suit that cost me $70 + shipping) stolen from the dryer.

Cheryl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter