• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

Great job on the faux leather...it is gorgeous!

I have found hot glue to be pretty hit and miss (mostly miss...they pop off) on beads, so I usually resort to some sort of nasty smelling glue for something like that.

Btw, regarding a post with tips and photos, if you quote replies from here you can drop them into another post.

I'm sure you are right about the hot glue. I didn't have anything stinkier in the house today though. :-) Actually, I was planning to use fabric paint to make a 3D frame and then paint it out in gold, but the puffy paint didn't hold it's shape well enough to do what I wanted.

I am going to wear it around for a few days at home and see how it does. I can always re-glue with something stronger if needed.

Interesting about the quotes. Maybe we should give it a shot.

I started a new thread and I've got through about 40 pages of this thread so far and quoted pics over there in to 4 pages. Sadly, some of the pictures from early on are missing now.

I think I'm going to have to turn off my cake signature, it's going to drive everyone crazy over there. :-)

Here is my new Belle. This one is a bit of an experiment. I did a faux leather painting for the band. I wanted to do a frame around Belle's portrait but I ended up with this. A couple of old earrings and some beads that I hot glued. I love that it has a steampunky feel to it. I'm not sure how well it will hold up for park touring though.

This is the best Magicband ever! I Love love the combination of painting and 3d elements!

Hello everyone! I've spent the past few nights going through all of the pages and I must say, people are so talented out there! I had never thought to paint on a magic band until I find some cool ideas on Pintrest, which lead me to this thread! I have already purchased some cute little monograms to put on the band, but seeing this thread has definitely made me want to do more! I actually e-mailed Disney to see if they would ship the bands early so I could start, but alas no dice and will have to wait til next month. Maybe that's a good thing because I keep changing my mind on what band color I want! I'm surprising my boyfriend with a design on his, I've been thinking a Buzz Lightyear theme with mine being a space/galaxy looking design, but who knows! This thread makes me change my mind every 5 minutes! :rotfl:

Speaking of tips and tricks...

I put the top coat on my band - and it is shiny - does anyone have experience with a "matte" finish

@HockeyMomNH what do you use to seal your bands?

Speaking of tips and tricks...

I put the top coat on my band - and it is shiny - does anyone have experience with a "matte" finish

@HockeyMomNH what do you use to seal your bands?

For most of my bands I used a combination of top/base coat nail polish. It holds up really well in the parks, some cracking around the holes, but not too bad. What I discovered is that long term, several months later, those bands with polish have this strange white film over them. At first I thought it was suntan lotion, because the polish does react with too much spray lotion, but now I think that it is just the polish decaying.

The film rubs off, and the bands look fine. I just resealed them after.

So, I have most recently been using a spray acrylic sealer. It is glossy but not as thick as the nail polish sealer. I used it on a set of bands in Feb and they still look like new. They have only been on one 4 day trip to WDW though.

The sealer is Plaid and I got it at Walmart. It was my only local option as there are no craft stores nearby.

Hi everybody. I am VERY new to this site so I apologize ahead of time for any monotony in my post. I have never used the Magic Bands before so my upcoming trip will be the first. I'm wondering if anybody can give me advice on how to pit purple tiger stripes on my yellow band. Also, is there a trick to painting the black trim of the band a different color?
Thanks y'all!

So, I have most recently been using a spray acrylic sealer. It is glossy but not as thick as the nail polish sealer. I used it on a set of bands in Feb and they still look like new. They have only been on one 4 day trip to WDW though.

The sealer is Plaid and I got it at Walmart. It was my only local option as there are no craft stores nearby.

Did you use the acrylic sealer on top of nail polish?

Hi everybody. I am VERY new to this site so I apologize ahead of time for any monotony in my post. I have never used the Magic Bands before so my upcoming trip will be the first. I'm wondering if anybody can give me advice on how to pit purple tiger stripes on my yellow band. Also, is there a trick to painting the black trim of the band a different color?
Thanks y'all!

From what I have read, since I've diligently been reading pretty much every page on here, that the majority of people have been using nail polish, with a few using acrylics or hobby paint. If using nail polish, putting down a base coat or two before adding any other color will help, as well as a few coats of the base coats once the other colors are down. Another tip would be to paint the bands while they are closed. With painting the trim, I think putting painters tape down on the actual band itself and painting the outer edge first may be the best idea, but I'm sure someone that has done it can be a bit more helpful. I have an orange band from a trip last year that I think I will play with this week to try to get a feeling for how things lay on the band before my hands come next month.

If you're painting your own, clear polyurethane is a good sealer. If you're using acrylic you'll need to be very careful of spray-on sunscreen as that will attack acrylics.

Thank you for the replies. I read back through the suggested page, but it didn't quite answer some of my questions. Should I put a base coat on first and then seal it? Or, should I leave the base coat off? I purchased Rust-oleum Painter's Touch in gloss, will this work? Lastly, what will hold up best at the water parks? Some of our bands will be painted with acrylic and some will have tattoos.

Thank you again for all your help!!!

Thank you for the replies. I read back through the suggested page, but it didn't quite answer some of my questions. Should I put a base coat on first and then seal it? Or, should I leave the base coat off? I purchased Rust-oleum Painter's Touch in gloss, will this work? Lastly, what will hold up best at the water parks? Some of our bands will be painted with acrylic and some will have tattoos.

Thank you again for all your help!!!
I think that those that do tattoos use a base coat first and then another coat over top.

There is no need to base coat under the acrylic paint.

I'm not sure about the brand of sealer you've got. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. Make sure you use a thin coat. You can always spray a second or third coat if needed.

Thank you so much HockeyMomNH!!! I figured Rust-oleum should be good since they make so much spray paint. LOL But then I keep second guessing myself and if I should have bought Krylon. Thank you again for all your help...and I LOVE all the bands you have created!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter