Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

We got our magic bands today in the mail and I went fast to work after we put DD to bed. Today I also went to Michaels for some paintbrushes and stumbled upon this scrapbook aisle that was basically FULL of bling for scrapbooks (had clear adhesive strips on the underside of the crystals.) and bought 2 bling rolls one for DD band and one for myself and a sheet of square bling that is faceted in a way that really makes it shine. I also picked up some of the e6000 glue or whatever it is, going to paint that on and stick the crystals to the band with that. If you want a little bling on your bands, check out Michaels, they have every shape color & variety you could ever think of! They even had a mix of pearl/rhinestone bling that was very pretty.

Now I applied the first coat to our bands and some tips I wanted to share
1-We used the Sinful colors line found at walgreens & Walmart. 1.99/bottle, I have to say the polish went on very well and probably only needs one coat. I went ahead and did two just to touch up a few areas. No cracking yet

2-We found that going over a small area with longer strokes quickly was the best method. I didn't scrape the side of the brush as I do when painting my nails I just dipped in the paint and starting painting. I did find that if you hesitated or tried to 'fix' a smudge or something like that the polish would start to 'set' and that made it more difficult to blend in where you start painting again. We didn't get a quick dry polish either.

3-Up down strokes vs. side to side-I tried both, I think up/down is easier because that is the natural shape of the band.

4-I think the BIGGEST thing is to get a similar color of magic band that you plan on painting the band. Ex-mine and DD I painted a jewel toned purple, so we got pink bands. DH band is painted a metallic royal blue, he got a blue band. I think it just helps the base color show up even that much better.

Bands are drying now and tomorrow I will start to put on the finishing touches let that dry and Friday evening I will clear coat them with base coat. I love the look of the tattoos I was just too afraid I would mess them up so we decided on the polish method. I primarily just used the polish brush however I did have to get the insides of the pink spots (where the grey connects to the pink band) with a finer detailing brush. Once we get completely done with them and they have dried I will post this weekend.

Got ours done! Except DH (the blue one) need to put the base coat on and paint the Mickey head a few more coats with the lime green.

DD Magic band (we ordered her a pink one and also took the grey wrap off since she needs it extra small)
collage_zpsh77teani.jpg

My band
collage_20140410235137351_zps9hbqjrxj.jpg

DH band
collage_20140411002440596_zpswapseojq.jpg

Here are some of the supplies I picked up at Michaels for mine and DD bands. These worked GREAT, I just cut/trimmed the rhinestone strips to the length/width I needed.
collage_20140411002547054_zpsew48gmip.jpg

The blue & purple polishes were the Sinful Colors brand, hot pink was a very small bottle I picked up at Sallys, the lime green, silver and the base coat were also from Sallys I believe they were the Fingerpaints brand? The silver looks really good, almost holographic.

They came out great! Thanks for posting the supplies too..

Congrats on your FIRST Family vacation!!!

Got ours done! Except DH (the blue one) need to put the base coat on and paint the Mickey head a few more coats with the lime green.

The blue & purple polishes were the Sinful Colors brand, hot pink was a very small bottle I picked up at Sallys, the lime green, silver and the base coat were also from Sallys I believe they were the Fingerpaints brand? The silver looks really good, almost holographic.

Love your bands. What did you use for glue? Or where they self-stick?

I found Mickey head rhinestones that are the exact same size as the Mickey head on the magic band! My plan was to stick the rhinestone Mickey on top of the Mickey head on the bands. Simple but sparkly. Does anyone have experience with using rhinestones on the hard chip/sensor part of the band? I'm thinking it would work just fine, but I want to make sure.

I found Mickey head rhinestones that are the exact same size as the Mickey head on the magic band! My plan was to stick the rhinestone Mickey on top of the Mickey head on the bands. Simple but sparkly. Does anyone have experience with using rhinestones on the hard chip/sensor part of the band? I'm thinking it would work just fine, but I want to make sure.

Yes, it will work fine.

Other have done it with super glue and I've seen no reports of issues with it :)

Love your bands. What did you use for glue? Or where they self-stick?

The strips of the bling was self stick. I used the e6000 (I think that is what it is called? ) for the stones around the mickey head chip. I had planned to use the glue as additional adhesive when I laid down the bling strips but after I saw how well it stuck to the bands and knowing I was going to be putting basecoats over it I didn't feel like it was needed. and Thanks! we had lots of fun decorating them. It was a lot of work, but they are awesome and we love them! I actually wish I would have made mine like my DD or another design I thought of this morning. Oh well, I am still satisfied with all of them.

Where did you find them? Do you have an online link?

! I actually wish I would have made mine like my DD or another design I thought of this morning. Oh well, I am still satisfied with all of them.

Haha, I had the same thought after I finished mine. I did Merida, but after doing R2D2 and Chewy for DS and DH, I thought I should have done Leia. Instead I sewed some covers for mine to match the outfits I will be wearing in the park. That way I could still have Merida, or just wear it as a cute bracelet.

I have enjoyed reading through this thread and am excited to start customizing our bands.

1.Has anyone tried the removable vinyl cover bands sold on DVC Central? I'd love to hear reviews on them.

2.Has anyone bought & successfully used a glow in the dark polish recently they can recommend either online or at a big chain?

3. Don't have the polish color I want on hand and I'm debating whether to splurge on a more expensive polish or go with cheap. The opinions seem to be split on this. Not really a question just thinking aloud I guess.

I've been working on designing vinyl covers for our MagicBands in August (hopefully the pictures show up). I just finished a Frozen one for dd2 and a Mary Poppins one for myself. I hope to finish a Rapunzel (Snuggly Duckling) one for my dh. My questions is, has anyone tried using the printable waterproof vinyl? I have a Silhouette Cameo that I'm going to use with the template someone provided on here to cut them out, but I hope that the vinyl will hold up to the sweaty August heat!
edit

edit

We have had a great time decorating our bands for our upcoming trip! Our last trip we used nail sticker art, this time - thanks to all of you - we have some different creations. (Thanks to neutie88 for the inspiration for my son's band - major shout out to you!)
IMG_20140221_194110366_zpsa02da3a1.jpg

Love your bands! Where did you get the tiara rhinestone?!? TIA

Love love love your magic bands!! The add ons... Are they only able to be purchased "in " DW ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter