Hand Shaking in MDRs

jane01jp

DIS Veteran
Does it strike anyone besides me as odd that DCL provides hand wipes for everyone entering the MDRs, but then subjects them to glad handing by the waiters, head waiters, assistant waiters, etc., in the form of gratuitous hand shaking?

I mean, it kind of defeats the purpose of hand sanitizing. Maybe we could just bump elbows or something.

Does it strike anyone besides me as odd that DCL provides hand wipes for everyone entering the MDRs, but then subjects them to glad handing by the waiters, head waiters, assistant waiters, etc., in the form of gratuitous hand shaking?

I mean, it kind of defeats the purpose of hand sanitizing. Maybe we could just bump elbows or something.
Think i assumed that my hands were clean and the waiters hands were clean..................so shouldnt be any issue.

If my waiters hands aren't clean, then him putting his hands all over my plate and silverware will be just as big a problem as shaking my hand.

I don't like to shake hands with the waitstaff either. I prefer to do a flying chest bump. It's much more sanitary.

MUN

Although everyone is supposed to thoroughly clean their hands with the provided wipes before entering, not everyone does. Even so, take a look around the MDR after being seated and observe how many children AND adults touch their nose, eyes or mouth while at the table, negating the wipes. Then they also handle the menus. Then notice how many servers repeatedly touch the guests - hands, bare arms, rumpling a kid's hair, and so on, then serves you your next course. You can carry your own little bottle of hand sanitizer and use when you think appropriate, especially after handling menus or shaking hands with anyone. But if you as politely as possible avoid shaking hands when cruising, you are more likely to stay healthy and avoid whatever is going around, and something always is. :duck:

Think i assumed that my hands were clean and the waiters hands were clean..................so shouldnt be any issue.

If my waiters hands aren't clean, then him putting his hands all over my plate and silverware will be just as big a problem as shaking my hand.

this. They touch everything we use to consume our food, so, I guess there has to be a level of trust. As long as they arent de-boning a raw chicken between serving my courses, I'm confident I'll be OK.

Ummm, the wait staff is serving you food, touching your table setting, handing you the menus, filling your drinks etc. If they can touch all that I certainly don't have a problem with a simple hand shake for goodness sake. If you are that nervous bring your handy dandy sanitizer to dinner with you and wipe the table and your hands down after a hand shake. This germophobia we have going on in today's society is getting out of hand. And before anyone asks, I have been on a ship with norovirus and got sick so I get it. I just refuse to go through life like Howie Mandel.

Ummm, the wait staff is serving you food, touching your table setting, handing you the menus, filling your drinks etc. If they can touch all that I certainly don't have a problem with a simple hand shake for goodness sake. If you are that nervous bring your handy dandy sanitizer to dinner with you and wipe the table and your hands down after a hand shake. This germophobia we have going on in today's society is getting out of hand. And before anyone asks, I have been on a ship with norovirus and got sick so I get it. I just refuse to go through life like Howie Mandel.

Perfectly said

> And before anyone asks, I have been on a ship with norovirus and got sick so I get it. I just refuse to go through life like Howie Mandel.
Well, I have been on a ship with norovirus a couple of times and happily did NOT get sick. We sail a few times each year and I have not been sick during or after a cruise since I did become more germophobic well over a decade ago. Not like Howie Mandel though. One can be careful without being a full-blown extremist. I do what works for me to stay healthy so I can thoroughly enjoy my cruises, so I don't mind the slight embarrassment of refusing handshakes in the dining rooms, from servers or tablemates.

What hand shaking are you taking about? That has never occurred on ANY cruise I have ever taken.
It has happened with us mostly on the Fantasy. When other tablemates have introduced themselves, many of them have instinctively offered their handshake. We eventually started requesting a private table so no longer have that situation. On the final evening, long before dinner is over, we have had the head server and dining manager, and sometimes the servers, initiate a handshake.

We must just be unlucky then, lol. We certainly have not encouraged anyone to shake hands with us! :love1:

It has happened with us mostly on the Fantasy. When other tablemates have introduced themselves, many of them have instinctively offered their handshake. We eventually started requesting a private table so no longer have that situation. On the final evening, long before dinner is over, we have had the head server and dining manager, and sometimes the servers, initiate a handshake.

You go as far as not letting tablemates share the pleasentry of hand shaking? I understand you don't want to be nurovirus or whatever but we follow the same rules we do in our day to day life. All this over protection from germs including using antibacterial soap every single time we wash our hands is causing massive issues with drug resistant viruses. It isn't just the antibiotics itself but rather we are killing off weaker strains and only the stronger are dividing.

Last edited:
I'll shake hands but not in the dining rooms. And say what you will, as we all have our ways and are entitled to such, but neither I nor my husband have been sick with anything, not even a cold, in over ten years, nor have we taken any meds, antibiotic or otherwise. So sorry, but we'll continue our ways as I'm sure you'll continue yours. We both have that right. On that note, have a nice day! :)

The wife brings along hand sanitizer for use after handling the menus! I prefer to live dangerously...

I have worked at a county hospital for 20 years. I could walk into a hot zone buck naked and not get sick.

Sanitizer, shmanitizer, you have an immune system.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels weird shaking my server's hand. I feel weird shaking hands in general - it's an anxiety thing, plus I'm a hypochondriac and somewhat of a germaphobe. I also hate to be rude or anything less than friendly, so I'd never turn down a handshake... I do, however, go to the bathroom and wash my hands after the hand shaking that occurs on the first night. I know I'd be fine even if I didn't do it, but it puts my mind at ease. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter