Halloween Horror Nights 2013

We actually have IOA and USO tickets for that day, (the main vacation is WDW) so when we get settled in our resort we're heading out to start the day.

Last time we went, we arrived around 2 and had enough time to see all of IOA, so we added a IOA/USO Express Pass tickets this time around.

So essentially, we'll be there AT re-opening for HHN.

My personal touring plan would be to start the day in USO and hit the major attractions with our Express pass, then move on to IOA while we wait for HHN. Is that doable?

How does that work? Do they kick people out of USO & corral them if they have tickets to HHN? What time does USO shut down to get ready for HHN? Can you go back to IOA and wait for USO to re-open?

I know it's a pretty immense amount of stuff, but we're just trying to get the most out of whatever we can for 1 day's worth.

I've only been in the studios prior to shutting down for HHN, but they will place you in a holding area, which is by the Irish bar Finnegan's between Transformers and Mummy, you can go in and eat or get something to drink while waiting. At IOA I think the crossover is by one fish blue fish in Suess Landing, they will walk you over to Universal between the soundstages that lie between the two parks.

You get about a 20 minute head start with a few houses they open at the start, you can essentially ride the wave counterclockwise around the park, and do it that way. And still probably have time for the show. The only negative is it will still be daylight when you start, and those soundstage houses are DARK. (Which may not give enough time for your eyes to adjust).

they are selling them now I saw them at the Universal store and in the store at twister already during the regular park hours
There are two different kinds of lanyards. You're right...they are selling one now but I think the question was about the other kind. This is the other kind that I believe is sold during the event. This one is from a few years ago.

DSC02771_zps700f0e70.jpg

I will be there on opening night. I have a reservation for the passholder's event that night. They are going to take us through 3 houses before the park opens for the event. Once the park opens, I am planning to tackle the other 5 houses, street experience and shows.

Sounds like fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hi, do you know if there is going to be a HHN App for park live information like line waiting time etc. ?

I've read on forums and HHN Facebook posts; A LOT of people complain about the lines at HHN.

We're celebrating our Honeymoon and the first time ever at HHN on October the 6th.

We only have ONE night to be in the park for the event, and considering all the negativity I've been reading about the lines, it's got me really worried that we're not going to be able to see all the houses.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Got to get a express pass. Worth every penny.
Last year was our first year and thank goodness we got a express pass.
Two or three hours in, the lines where a couple hours long.

Got to get a express pass. Worth every penny.
Last year was our first year and thank goodness we got a express pass.
Two or three hours in, the lines where a couple hours long.

I concur with the express pass. Furthermore, I advise having a day pass to be in the park to take advantage of the Stay and Scream holding area. On top of that, I also suggest not using the express pass for the first few houses, because the waits for those initial houses will be minimal when starting from the holding area. Then revisit those houses later in the evening when the wait times have gotten bigger, and use the express pass for those houses at that time.

Interesting story: a few years ago, we followed a couple to one of the houses from the holding area. They used their express pass and we didn't. Although they did enter the house before us, it was a difference of about 5 people.

Went to preview tonight. Had lots of fun. I managed to do all the houses. Definitely felt scarier this year, but it might've just been me getting scared since it was the first night and I'm not used to it yet. :p

I personally liked B&T better last year but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Excited to do more runthroughs of the houses and such. Should be a fun year!

We went in about 5pm to S&S area at Finnegan's and had a couple of beers.
They let us loose about 10 til 6pm. We did all but two houses without express pass and then started to make another round with express pass tickets. Really need to see the houses twice if you can.
We did most twice and finally gave up when my legs felt like spaghetti noodles about 11.30. We had a blast. Just be ready to walk and stand alot.

I've only been in the studios prior to shutting down for HHN, but they will place you in a holding area, which is by the Irish bar Finnegan's between Transformers and Mummy, you can go in and eat or get something to drink while waiting. At IOA I think the crossover is by one fish blue fish in Suess Landing, they will walk you over to Universal between the soundstages that lie between the two parks.

You get about a 20 minute head start with a few houses they open at the start, you can essentially ride the wave counterclockwise around the park, and do it that way. And still probably have time for the show. The only negative is it will still be daylight when you start, and those soundstage houses are DARK. (Which may not give enough time for your eyes to adjust).

good advice, however, Finnegans appears to be a tough grab as to claiming a table without a reservation, at least the dates we tend to visit. The bar has always been packed early when we arrive, appears to be SRO.

An someone give me the low down on Halloween horror nights. We've never even been to universal before. But we are big fans of horror and since we just moved to Florida the tickets are pretty cheap for fl residents.
Which park is it at?
What time does it start and finish?
How early can we enter the park?
Are any rides open during horror nights?
Are there any restaurants/ quick service open?
Thank you :)

There are two different kinds of lanyards. You're right...they are selling one now but I think the question was about the other kind. This is the other kind that I believe is sold during the event. This one is from a few years ago.

DSC02771_zps700f0e70.jpg

Ive seen walking dead, HHN 23 and Legendary Truth Lanyards on sale currently

On the other side of the OP. We hate horror.

Is it even worth going to universal the days they have horror nights?? Since we will not be paying for the hard-ticket event to follow??

Or if we do pay for the hard ticket are we still able to get around the park and do the rides with out being around the horror elements. (mainly harry potter).

(Hope I didn't hijack your thread, but figure the info could benefit us both)

I've read on forums and HHN Facebook posts; A LOT of people complain about the lines at HHN.

We're celebrating our Honeymoon and the first time ever at HHN on October the 6th.

We only have ONE night to be in the park for the event, and considering all the negativity I've been reading about the lines, it's got me really worried that we're not going to be able to see all the houses.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

15 year veteran of HHN and I will be glad to give you any tips...1st of all you are going Sunday night correct? Ill be there that night as well, will be there that whole weekend.
Anyway, if you are planning on just the one night and have regular daytime admission already you are allowed to stay in one of the 2 holding areas prior to the start of the event when the park close to reg guests at 5pm. One by the animal stage near ET and one by Finnegans in the NY area. the event starts at 6pm but they usually let everyone go a bit before and depending which side of the park you choose to start with they usually direct everyone to the early opening houses right away where you will see no lines. after that the park starts to open up and gets more and more crowded as the night goes on. There are 8 houses this year and to see them all in one night requires a LOT of walking. The houses are outside the regular park areas and some of the houses in the front you actually have to walk all the way over to the back of Seuss Landing at IOA to go in.
On a regular trip I have usually picked a weekday like Thurs for a one night visit and I have always added the Express (which is cheapest on the Thurs as well...but not too bad for Sunday either) The express sells out so you should buy it in advance if you plan on getting it.
As the crowds grow the lines can go into hours on the waits. with the express I have gone and done all the houses watched the Bill and ted show and had plenty of time for the outdoor areas...its just a major workout with all the walking. it can be done tho pretty easily. without express you will get into the 1st 2 houses right away and then the wait times will start. if you want to do other things in the park besides waiting on the houses you wont end up with too much time. It would be hard but not impossible to see all the houses and in my honest opinion you wont want to be in that many of the long lines after 1 or 2 of them.
Lots of HHN blogs put out trip reports that give you an order to do the houses in and such ( I usually use them so I know where to go) orlando informer is gong to be doing one . There's was a spot on plan last year for me when I only had one night.
Im waiting for everyones advice once the actual opening goes on this Friday and we can see how everything is ordered this year

I've been to HHN like 18 of the 22 years,the event has been held at Universal most of the years with a couple of years at IOA and a couple of years where it was partially in both parks.Recently it's been at Universal with the soundstages between the parks housing some of the houses.I have an AP so when the park closes at 5pm everyone with tickets to HHN can stay inside the park in the Stay and Scream area which has been the street by Finnegans lately.Usually around 6pm they let out the people in the Stay and Scream area to do the 2-3 houses that they open early.The event might not be officially open until 6:30-7pm but you can get these houses done with little lines before the masses of people outside the gates are let in.If you don't have AP's what you would do is buy the Stay and Scream add on if you're visiting the park,which is usually the same discounted price AP holders pay for the event.You can also visit IOA during the day and around 5pm there will be a side entrance to Universal for people with Stay and Scream tickets so you don't have to exit the park and get access to Stay and Scream.The event usually ends between 1am and 2am depending if it's a peak night.HHN gets crazy busy pretty much every night but at least on non peak nights the crowds won't be as bad and might ease off after 11pm or so.Usually the most popular rides are open during HHN,but having an AP and that they usually also have long lines I never do rides during the event,it's hard enough to get all the houses and shows done in one night as the lines can easily be 1-2 hours during the busiest parts of the night.If you want to do the houses,rides and shows you better be looking to purchase the express pass,which is pretty expensive.The restaurants are also obviously open given how popular this event is.If I didn't have an AP I wouldn't buy a 1 day ticket to Universal since the park closes at 5pm,a two park pass or to IOA would be fine as you can go to IOA which will stay open later.And no if you want to pay the HHN to just do the rides at the Universal park that would not be smart either as like I said earlier the lines for the rides will also be pretty insanely long,it is the most popular Halloween event in the country.However since it's Potter you're interested in,it would work since HHN is not in IOA.Either buy a ticket to IOA or get a more expensive 1 day 2 park pass so you can hop over to IOA when Universal closes.

On the other side of the OP. We hate horror.

Is it even worth going to universal the days they have horror nights?? Since we will not be paying for the hard-ticket event to follow??

Or if we do pay for the hard ticket are we still able to get around the park and do the rides with out being around the horror elements. (mainly harry potter).

(Hope I didn't hijack your thread, but figure the info could benefit us both)
You can barely tell that there is a horror event at night when you visit in the daytime and this won't affect IOA at all. We went last year and enjoyed IOA in the evening once the Studios shut down. We went to HHN the next night and we couldn't believe how the whole atmosphere of the Studios changed. It went from being pretty much its normal self to a very crowded, Halloween party.

An someone give me the low down on Halloween horror nights. We've never even been to universal before. But we are big fans of horror and since we just moved to Florida the tickets are pretty cheap for fl residents.
Which park is it at?
What time does it start and finish?
How early can we enter the park?
Are any rides open during horror nights?
Are there any restaurants/ quick service open?
Thank you :)

If you haven't seen this, this might help too: http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/index.html

We enjoyed the Stay and Scream feature since we were already visiting the parks.

Recently it's been at Universal with the soundstages between the parks housing some of the houses.

We were at Universal in September of 2011, and I think that was before the soundstages started being used. There were one or two places in the Studios where they had big sort-of walls up that were creepy even in the broad daylight. My son absolutely hated them, and is pretty annoyed that we're heading back in October.

Would you say that those outdoors, right along the pathways, creepy sort of things are gone now? (please say yes please say yes)

You can barely tell that there is a horror event at night when you visit in the daytime...

This is sounding like those big things are gone. Hoping!

We were at Universal in September of 2011, and I think that was before the soundstages started being used. There were one or two places in the Studios where they had big sort-of walls up that were creepy even in the broad daylight. My son absolutely hated them, and is pretty annoyed that we're heading back in October.

Would you say that those outdoors, right along the pathways, creepy sort of things are gone now? (please say yes please say yes)

This is sounding like those big things are gone. Hoping!

The soundstages have been used for a while. I think I know what you're talking about since I was there in 2011. Big wall with skull like faces on top? That was for one of the scarezones. This year, all the scarezones are Walking Dead themed, so there are some props out but I don't think they'll be anything like those walls.

Question for anyone who knows the answer...

Is the Resident Evil themed house the same Resident Evil attraction that's currently at Universal Japan? Where you actually get a (fake) gun and shoot at the zombies as you progress through it?

Or is is just a haunted house?

When I saw photos from the Japanese attraction I was DYING to try it, so if they've brought it to the US park, I may have to go out of my way to get down there this month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter