Halloween 2011. Oct 29th on the Magic

We had a great time yesterday touring Washington, DC with my dad.

We used Groupons for a three-hour, guided, bus tour. Because of a malfunction on the "regular" bus, we were in a "party bus" so we were seated in a circle facing inwards and we didn't have a PA system, but there were only about 12 of us, so the guide just sat in the middle and spoke-up.

We, and two others, were picked-up at the National Harbor, which is on the East bank of the Potomac River, just South of 1-95. We then drove into DC and picked-up the rest of the group and the guide by the Post Office Plaza on 12th Street. We drove by the Washington Monument, White House, Federal Reserve, Einstein Statue, Vietnam Memorial and Lincoln Memorial.

The first stop was Arlington Cemetery, where we were dropped at the Visitor's Center and walked (and walked and walked) to the Kennedy Grave site and the Tomb of the Unknowns. I didn't make it to the Tomb (it isn't that far, but it's uphill), but Tracey and my dad (who is 81) did, just in time to see the changing of the guard.

They offer a Tour-Mobile which makes a circuit of the cemetery, stopping at the two sites as well as a third, for a nominal charge (less than $10). Next time we'll take the Metro to the cemetery and use the Tour-Mobile. Of course, next time I'll be in better shape and be able to do the walk.

The second stop was the US Marine War Memorial (AKA the Iwo Jima Memorial), which I have driven-by but never stopped at. Very impressive.

The third stop was the Pentagon 9-11 Memorial. Staggering.

The three-hour tour, took more like four-hours, since a few people took the Tour-Mobile in Arlington and we waited for them to come back, but that was OK, because the guide kept us entertained with stories about the layout of DC.

The outfit was Chariots-for-Hire, which I recommend if you're coming to DC.

TimmerK - you have some interesting excursions booked - remember to get yourself on a wait list for brunch and tea when you board. You can also keep watching the website as folks do change their minds and cancel.

Your tour of Washington sounds amazing. I have flown into Washington (and in the old days when you flew past the monuments) but have never stayed and visited the sights. I think I need to do that at some point.

I continue to waffle on our Grand Cayman excursion - sometimes I think we should just get off, wander some in town and have another 'sea day' while everyone is out and about.

TimmerK - you have some interesting excursions booked - remember to get yourself on a wait list for brunch and tea when you board. You can also keep watching the website as folks do change their minds and cancel.

Your tour of Washington sounds amazing. I have flown into Washington (and in the old days when you flew past the monuments) but have never stayed and visited the sights. I think I need to do that at some point.

I continue to waffle on our Grand Cayman excursion - sometimes I think we should just get off, wander some in town and have another 'sea day' while everyone is out and about.

We've already spoke to a CSR about Paolo's and will be making a bee-line to the reservation desk once we board.

DC is my third favorite city to visit, Boston and NYC being 1st and 2nd, and is the easiest of the three to get around in. If you know what you want to see, you really only need a Metro pass and some time. We've got Groupons for the Crime and Punishment museum and Madame Tussaud's that we'll use next weekend, but we usually just pick a museum (most are free), jump on the Metro and explore.

We're thinking about staying on board or not wandering too far in Cozumel. I have a very small concern about the drug war in Mexico, but it's really that the submarine is a little pricey. If something needs to go to make budget that will be it.

Is anyone going to be at WDW prior to the cruise?

We'll be at the Polynesian starting Monday the 24th and have our tickets to the MNSSHP on the 28th. If anyone else is going to be in WDW, maybe we can meet.

We had a great time yesterday touring Washington, DC with my dad.

We used Groupons for a three-hour, guided, bus tour. Because of a malfunction on the "regular" bus, we were in a "party bus" so we were seated in a circle facing inwards and we didn't have a PA system, but there were only about 12 of us, so the guide just sat in the middle and spoke-up.

We, and two others, were picked-up at the National Harbor, which is on the East bank of the Potomac River, just South of 1-95. We then drove into DC and picked-up the rest of the group and the guide by the Post Office Plaza on 12th Street. We drove by the Washington Monument, White House, Federal Reserve, Einstein Statue, Vietnam Memorial and Lincoln Memorial.

The first stop was Arlington Cemetery, where we were dropped at the Visitor's Center and walked (and walked and walked) to the Kennedy Grave site and the Tomb of the Unknowns. I didn't make it to the Tomb (it isn't that far, but it's uphill), but Tracey and my dad (who is 81) did, just in time to see the changing of the guard.

They offer a Tour-Mobile which makes a circuit of the cemetery, stopping at the two sites as well as a third, for a nominal charge (less than $10). Next time we'll take the Metro to the cemetery and use the Tour-Mobile. Of course, next time I'll be in better shape and be able to do the walk.

The second stop was the US Marine War Memorial (AKA the Iwo Jima Memorial), which I have driven-by but never stopped at. Very impressive.

The third stop was the Pentagon 9-11 Memorial. Staggering.

The three-hour tour, took more like four-hours, since a few people took the Tour-Mobile in Arlington and we waited for them to come back, but that was OK, because the guide kept us entertained with stories about the layout of DC.

The outfit was Chariots-for-Hire, which I recommend if you're coming to DC.

Sounds like you had a great time. Went to DC in 94...it was with my daughter and her 8th grade class...Very small class of 19 kids 1 teacher and 6 moms. I have to say we had a great time. Went to the White house, Smithsonian, the capital, the vietnam memorial the national cathederal...and arlington, we did a wreath cermony at the tomb of the unknown we were to go to Kennedys grave, which was something I always wanted to do, however that was when Jackie Kennedy passed away, and they closed that area as they were preparing her grave. But I would love to go back and take my time and see more.

We'll be at the Polynesian starting Monday the 24th and have our tickets to the MNSSHP on the 28th. If anyone else is going to be in WDW, maybe we can meet.

No, we are just going to spend one day after the cruise, Saturday we are going to check in at Pop, then spend the day at Epcot....then fly home Sunday....I would like to spend more time there, but will take what I can get:thumbsup2

Have a good day

Denise
:banana::banana:

...we were to go to Kennedys grave, which was something I always wanted to do, however that was when Jackie Kennedy passed away, and they closed that area as they were preparing her grave. But I would love to go back and take my time and see more....

I was there about 30 years ago, but what I didn't remember was that Bobby's grave was there and was a simple wooden cross. Now Teddy is there too, and has the same cross as well.

We are flying down on the 25th with our DS and DDIL and staying at VWL (love that DVC). We will be at the MK on the 26th and then Epcot the 27th and 28th. What are your plans?

we will be driving down from chicago on oct 26th 2011 and staying at BLT thursday and friday nights. Becuase money is really tight this trip we will be just swimming at blt this time no other plans

We are flying down lated on Thursday 10/27 and staying two nights at Saratoga Springs. We aren't doing the parks on Friday- just chillaxing. After the cruise we are spending four nights at Old Key West. Hopefully we can swing MVMCP but its a lot of $$$ for just one night tickets.

Happy Labor Day!! Chilly 48 degrees here but at least the rain stopped and it is beginning to dry up. This is my favorite sleeping weather so I just might have to take a cat nap this afternoon.

I am going to need a week on the Magic to chillax (love that one acourtwdw) after our 3 days in the park. But, we will just take our time and do our favorite things - except why are they on opposite ends of the parks???

Happy Labor Day!! I am going to need a week on the Magic to chillax (love that one acourtwdw) after our 3 days in the park. But, we will just take our time and do our favorite things - except why are they on opposite ends of the parks???

Because they want you to walk, in turn you spend money on drinks and food because the walking makes you hungry!!:thumbsup2:laughing:

Will the food and wine still be going on in november...after we get off the ship? since were spending the day at epcot, I kinda was hoping, I didnt make any dinner ressies...hoping to play it by ear and see what we can get:thumbsup2

Just returned from grocery shoping....question how can 2 people spend so much money on groceries??? went shopping last weekend, (granted we were out of things) spent 275.00 at Walmart....1 week later needed a "few" things and end up spending 135.00:eek::confused3 2 people, mind you....it drives me crazy.....

Well that is my labor day rant..;)

Have a great day I am going to enjoy the cooler weather, windows are open it feels so nice.

Denise
:banana::banana::banana:

Because they want you to walk, in turn you spend money on drinks and food because the walking makes you hungry!!:thumbsup2:laughing:

Will the food and wine still be going on in november...after we get off the ship? since were spending the day at epcot, I kinda was hoping, I didnt make any dinner ressies...hoping to play it by ear and see what we can get:thumbsup2

Just returned from grocery shoping....question how can 2 people spend so much money on groceries??? went shopping last weekend, (granted we were out of things) spent 275.00 at Walmart....1 week later needed a "few" things and end up spending 135.00:eek::confused3 2 people, mind you....it drives me crazy.....

Well that is my labor day rant..;)

Have a great day I am going to enjoy the cooler weather, windows are open it feels so nice.

Denise
:banana::banana::banana:

Well, we are on the DDP so there is a lot of food/eating on my WDW horizon. I will need all that walking to work some of it off. The F&W goes through November 13th so you are good there.

Groceries - isn't it amazing? What I think is the saddest thing is that you and Wally could have walked out of the store carrying what you got to your vehicle. But, with the cooler weather, I am looking forward to our first pot of chili and pot roast soon. Actually, if I had what was needed, we would be having chili today as it is a good day for it - a tropical 55 and we have a frost advisory for tonight. Too early - just too early.

Enjoy!!!

Well, we are on the DDP so there is a lot of food/eating on my WDW horizon. I will need all that walking to work some of it off. The F&W goes through November 13th so you are good there.

Groceries - isn't it amazing? What I think is the saddest thing is that you and Wally could have walked out of the store carrying what you got to your vehicle. But, with the cooler weather, I am looking forward to our first pot of chili and pot roast soon. Actually, if I had what was needed, we would be having chili today as it is a good day for it - a tropical 55 and we have a frost advisory for tonight. Too early - just too early.

Enjoy!!!

We will also be enjoying our DDP and food and wine when we get off the ship. I was shocked this morning when i let the dogs outs. I needed my sweatshirt to get the beagle/bassett to who refused to come in at 4:00am. Annette refuses to go grocery shopping so she aways looks shocked when i tell her how much i spent. The good thing is I like to use coupons/sales so this week when I went shopping we just needed fresh items like milk, bread and eggs. Its not really our food thats so expensive its the animals. We have 4 dogs and 2 cats which are spoiled rotten. They have to have treats and food everyweek i just cant keep a supply for them if it gets old the oldest refuses to eat it.

Just wanted to let everybody know that ma and my family will not be participating in the fish extenders as originnaly posted saying that we would.

Hi Everyone. Kamgen and the boys took me to Magic Kingdom:tinker: yesterday. it was crowded(holiday weekend), but the lines weren't too long for the rides. I haven't been there since May, seems like I'm not up to par when they plan to go.. We rode the TTA twice, Ryan and my favorite!!:cool1:
Cruise Movies -- every cruise I have been on I have been sea sick when we plan on a movie. So I haven't seen any. This time I won't plan.
Excursions -- Key West, I went with a friend in 1973, stayed 2 hours and she wanted to go back to Daytona Beach(love those Hippy days):hippie:. So I am going on the Train tour with my grandsons. Hope I will see more than I did before.
Cozmel-- watch my grandsons with the dolphins.. Should be lots of fun...
Grand Cayman-- beach maybe
Castaway Cay-- just hope we dock!! missed it last time, cause of strong winds and storms. Can't afford a Cabana, so maybe I'll just have a beach umbrella, chair and a bucket of beer!!:beach:

Just wanted to let everybody know that ma and my family will not be participating in the fish extenders as originnaly posted saying that we would.
Hope your still sailing with us.

Is anyone doing the Castaway 5K. I read they are now doing bibs for running it. I keep all of my bibs from my running in the past. I just started running again Saturday so hopefully I will keep it up again.

We are flying down on the 25th with our DS and DDIL and staying at VWL (love that DVC). We will be at the MK on the 26th and then Epcot the 27th and 28th. What are your plans?

We're coming down by Amtrak AutoTrain, leaving Sunday the 23rd and arriving sometime between 0930 and 1130 Monday morning the 24th, our schedule looks like:

Monday 10/24
Studios (Extended Evening) - Lunch - Sci-Fi, Dinner - Momma Melrose

Tuesday 10/25
Magic Kingdom - Steam Train Tour, Lunch - Kona, Dinner - Spirit of Aloha Luau, back to Magic Kingdom for Extended Evening. Lunch will be with an internet friend from North Carolina.

Wednesday 10/26
Breakfast - Ohana, EPCOT, Lunch - Le Cellier, EPCOT, Dinner - Victoria & Albert (combined Tracey's Birthday and 25th Wedding Anniversary Dinner)

Thursday 10/27
Animal Kingdom, Breakfast - Tusker House, Lunch - Yak & Yeti, Dinner - Boma, then EPCOT for Extended Evening

Friday 10/28
Breakfast - Cape May Cafe, Lunch - Raglan Rose, Dinner - Ohana, Magic Kingdom for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Saturday 10/29
Breakfast - Boma, Off to Port Canaveral

Happy Tuesday - although I wonder how many times I will think it is Monday.

Nice set of plans Timmer. I always thought that the auto train sounded pretty neat but I don't live in a place that is very logical to take it. We will be at Epcot together on Thursday so maybe we could pick a spot and meet up at some point.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and has a good week this week!

Happy Tuesday morning:

52 days and counting:cool1:

Nice and cool today only reaching 70....great sleeping weather last night....

Tim...your plans sound great....congrats on your 25th.....

nothing else going on....here at work and really not looking forward to this day actually.....kinda got used to sitting around the house and do not much of anything....

Well have a good day

later
denise:banana::banana:

hey everyone..

My kids and I went to Animal Kingdom on Sunday...we had a nice time...I even tested out the LEASH for my 1 year old he did great...Im still bringing my double stroller...I;'m afraid to be with out it...

One of the gorillas is pregnant ..its awesome to see her big belly..

Miguel loves Festival of Lion King...and he wants to be a tumble monkey..everytime we see it...we finally got to see Finding Nemo Musical...(Only saw it once)...Miguel loved it...

as for movies on the ship:

I will try for Winnie the Pooh since its like an hour long I think. but it all depends on how the week is going...

Excursions..Only getting off at Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay...GC we will do Boatswain Turtle Farm...and CC we'll just be doing whatever...

thats about it.. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter