• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Halloween 2011. Oct 29th on the Magic

Hey TiffanyD - How was your Halloween cruise this year! I'm DYING for a report! :cheer2:

Hey TiffanyD - How was your Halloween cruise this year! I'm DYING for a report! :cheer2:

Hi sumlee! I am originally from Ohio as well! Up in the Cleveland area!!

Our cruise was fantastic! I will do a quick recap - just for you!

We drove to Port Canaveral from Tampa and got caught in an embarkation/debarkation mixup. We only had to wait a short while before they started letting people in. Lines for check in were efficient and then we were left to wait with our (*now in color!*) navigators!

We got the dining rotation that we wanted so we just hung around until our room was ready. Our room was fine... schimj said it smelled slightly smokey but I thought it was ok. Great location and we didn't hear much noise the entire cruise.

The show this night included 2 variety acts (Kevin Johnson the ventriloquist and Alfred & Seymour the hip hop comedians) along with some Disney stuff inbetween. This show was funny and entertaining (we saw Alfred & Seymour's adult show and it was boooooooooooring but Kevin Johnson's family cabaret was really funny!)

We met our servers and they were GREAT the entire cruise!! We never really "met" our stateroom host. We saw several of them near our room throughout the cruise and all said hi so we weren't sure which was ours :confused3. No problems with them tho!

First port was in Key West. It was HOT with just a little bit of sprinkling rain for relief. We walked to the southernmost point and back and did some shopping along the way. We did NOT see inappropriate things on the street. Fantasy Fest apparently ends the Saturday before halloween so everyone was tired out and there wasn't much going on. Since it was halloween, we saw some costumes, but nothing bad. The Blonde Giraffe key lime place was closed for vacation until mid November. We did get some frozen key lime pie at the key lime pie factory, and it was quite yummy. Expensive tho! (Like $5+ for one not-large piece which we split). We had brunch at Palo this day before we left so the pie was the only thing we ate until dinner! We were quite full-in-the-belly.

Second port was Grand Cayman. We didn't do an excursion - just walked around this day as well. Note to anyone going to Margaritaville - this is like the ONE place that puts their prices in cayman dollars and not american dollars. And the conversion was 1.55 us dollars to cayman dollars. Which means an already overpriced shrimp app, margarita, and dacquiri became obnoxiously overpriced after conversion... $40 for that!! We did some shopping and walked all the way down to the craft market and got some soap and salt water taffy. We'd been here in June and did the island tour which was FANTASTIC but we didn't feel we needed to do it again. We also stopped in every tortuga shop we saw and sampled rum cakes - so that was basically lunch :hippie:

3rd port was Cozumel. We had booked Nachi Cocom so we grabbed a taxi. It was $16 for 1-4 passengers... so we paid $20 one way. I was a little nervous about doing this alone and the safety of mexican taxis and stuff... but I had worried for nothing. The taxi stand was clean, fast, and all the fares were written on a big board. Nachi was great... the food was just ok but the drinks were good and plentiful (especially if you sat at the swim up bar). The chairs are not that comfy but you can rent a float pad for around $7 per person that can be used on the chair and also in the ocean (we didn't do this but maybe next time we would). Secretariat was playing this night at 515 and I wanted to see that so we ended up leaving here around 3ish. Taxi back was waiting for us and was quick. The ship stopped at the Punta Langosta pier... which had a lot more dive-shopping (crappy little souvenir stores) and not the usual port shops as the other pier. The other pier is way nicer, but this one does have the Hard Rock Cafe and Margaritaville... if that is what you are looking for.

Last stop was Castaway Cay, of course. We were closing in on a storm so it was chilly, a little sprinkley, and REALLY WINDY this day :scared1: We just hung around the beach a bit... nothing special. Later in the evening the boat was rocking a LOT. All 3rd party rentals were cancelled at Castaway due to the winds.

Halloween on board was cute... it seemed there was a trick or treat trail plus they had characters in costumes. Brent was in costume too. There were a couple of special desserts at dinner but they were not advertised... our server just happened to bring one. The disers had another trick or treat thing they organized along with a treasure hunt at Nachi Cocom (we didn't do these since we have no kids... but I heard they went well)

Weather was pretty great except for the tail end. Castaway Cay was windy like I said and then the day we got off the boat was COLD. We went to downtown disney and I had only left sandals out so that's what I wore. It was chilly tho... and it is still pretty cold down here but should be warming up later in the week.

The shows were entertaining. I already told you about the first show and that we had Secretariat as a movie night. We also had the Twice Charmed and Villains shows... neither of which I had seen before. They were both very nice - altho I got shot with a clump of confetti or something during villains and it stung for like 10 minutes and was sore for a few days after. There was also the Disney Dreams show... we want to the matinee (2pm) showing of this but had to leave early as we had high tea at Palo at 3. This was really cute too. The final night show was another 2 variety acts mixed with some disney stuff. The disney stuff was cute enough but the variety acts were terrible (a magician who tried to be funny and a country singer who tried to be funny). This was the worst show of the night - just cause the variety acts were soooo bad

Dining was great - I loved my food pretty much every night. We did brunch, tea, and dinner at Palo. While each one was enjoyable... we don't feel the need to redo any on this next cruise as it's so near. We missed the Animator's show night. The lobster on lobster night was HUGE. The baked alaska was delicious (it was my first time trying it!)

We also did a martini tasting, which was very nice and was held in Sessions. We stuck around after cause I saw they had mixed up some extra martinis and, sure enough, they did laps and kept handing them out til they were gone ;)

We went to the DVC members meeting but it was PACKED (half the ship were dvc members) and started late so we had to leave to get to Palo Brunch. We also went to the DVC meeting for non-members to see what it was and to take my in-laws (and try to win the prize). We didn't win but we did end up adding on points at Aulani before the trip was over! :cheer2:

We did the Rasul treatment and it was ok but apparently ours was broken our something cause in reading on the boards our steam room should have actually been steamy and hot and we should have gotten champagne and the rainforest room. Boo!

I bought one of the adorable Dooney & Bourke cruiseline exclusive bags on board - that was my big purchase of the trip (not counting DVC)!

Issues: Not enough hammocks at Castaway Cay (especially adult beach). We got wrong charges on our account because they don't really require a key to the world card to charge... they can just go off the room number. Getting shot with the cannon during villains tonight. 3/4 of our party got pretty sick afterwards (maybe from the weather, germs... who knows)

Overall it was a GREAT cruise and I can't wait to do the same one next year! Anything else you want to ask specifically?? WOW I wrote a lot!!

HI!! :wave2:

We just booked this cruise, we were also on the October 30.2010 sailing and had an awesome time, so we booked this as soon as we got home!
We got a sideways Cat 11 cabin, foward on deck 6, so very exctied that we go the type cabin we wanted! We were also in a sideways Cat 11 on our recent cruise, liked the layout (we have stayed in a Cat 11 aft 3 times, rm 6641) and the forward location so that is what we asked for again! :cool1:

I am Dawn, and my hubby is Brian. We live in Kissimmee, Fl and I work for Fl Hospital Celebration and DH works at Epcot!

hope this tread starts getting a little more active soon:thumbsup2

We just booked this cruise, we were also on the October 30.2010 sailing and had an awesome time, so we booked this as soon as we got home!
We got a sideways Cat 11 cabin, foward on deck 6, so very exctied that we go the type cabin we wanted! We were also in a sideways Cat 11 on our recent cruise, liked the layout (we have stayed in a Cat 11 aft 3 times, rm 6641) and the forward location so that is what we asked for again! :cool1:

I am Dawn, and my hubby is Brian. We live in Kissimmee, Fl and I work for Fl Hospital Celebration and DH works at Epcot!

Hey Dawn!! Wasn't that Halloween cruise awesome?? I hope this one next year is just as fun! But without the windy day at the end :)

Hi Tiffany! It was a great trip! I also hope we can skip the weather the last two days of this cruise on the next one!

We were also on the Halloween sailing, we had an awesome time! We rebooked for the same cruise next year...which i now have to change after reading this thread, as Jersey week, is a week later than usual!

Bit dissappointed as we loved Halloween onboard, but on the upside we will do the Eastern instead!

Can you tell me which rooms are the 11 sideways?

Hello everyone! I booked a fake date while on a B2B in 2009 and just had it moved to this trip today. We are sailing on the Wonder this Thursday but I have to have something to look forward to when I get off - or will need to become a stowaway. I am looking forward to being on the Magic for Halloween and meeting all the DISers as well.

Hi! Welcome to our very quiet thread! Hope it will eventually get more active!

glindamood said:
Hello everyone! I booked a fake date while on a B2B in 2009 and just had it moved to this trip today. We are sailing on the Wonder this Thursday but I have to have something to look forward to when I get off - or will need to become a stowaway. I am looking forward to being on the Magic for Halloween and meeting all the DISers as well.

i thought I posted something in here but maybe I didn't, I couldn't find the post to subscribe..

well I will be booking this cruise in february..and I wanted to check out the thread..so far its quiet but I wonder if its because everyone wants to experience the dream instead...I will be in April 2012...but am excited to do a 7day..

its going to be me, DS3 , DS1, and DSS (step sister) 15...we all just did the 4day wonder in december and had a fantastic time..

This is our second cruise same time last year had a blast coudnt wait to book the next one plan on going same time in 2012 on the fantasy.

I pick this week last year because my wife birthday is the 31 and my sons is nov3 so we get to celebrate both they had such a good time we decided to go again we were going to go a week earlier for eastern carribean but we really like the cruise we had last year maybe another year

I would've preferred the eastern cruise as well but I can't travel the week ...plus i love grand cayman so its kind of cool to be able to get back over there..

okay I'm officially booked...not the best location for a cabin but whatever I just want to be on the ship!!!!! I'm super excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its an inside cabin its 6319....forward of ship...deck 6....I wish I can afford verandah again..but we'll see maybe as we get closer they will offer a Florida Resident discount like they did for me on my December cruise...cross fingers...

Hope you get the discount we choose an inside room to save for next year we are going to go on the Dream in Aug and Fantasy same time next year

Hello everyone! We always do an inside forward on deck 6, sometimes a sideways and sometimes not. I would rather cruise every year in an inside than every other in a verandah. But, with only DH and myself, it is enough room.

Snowing here in Michigan and I can't even get out for work, how sad :rotfl:!

I agree...I rather be wherever I can be on any of the Disney ships :thumbsup2...and I'm doing the Dream in April of 2012 so thats why for sure if I don't get a Fl Discount I won't be moving up in categories for both trips...

ah but it was so nice to have the verandah...it made the room brighter and more like we were on vacation.. sigh...lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter