Hakuna Matata - The Magical Miles of March

Hi team! Hope everyone is having a great weekend! It's been chilly here but at least the ground is more or less dry. I got in a good solo workout at the gym on Saturday and then good 5 miler in today! Lots of ice on the sidewalks though so I ended up doing more walking than I would have liked but with the wind the way it was, the extra walk breaks were welcomed!

Unfortunately, I gained 0.7 lbs last week. I think it's water but I have to go back and look over my food journals. Here's hoping for a loss this week. My points for last week were:

Exercise
Completing a weekly workout challenge = 5 points
1 hour of exercise = 4 points

Healthy eating
Drinking 8 glasses of water a day = 7 points
Trying a new healthy food or recipe for the week = 0 points (I need to get better at this LOL)
Taking a multivitamin daily = 7 point/day
Eating five servings of fruits and veggies daily = 6 point/day
Eating two servings of dairy a daily = 5 point/day

Total 34 points

I will get the points tallied and the race calendar updated shortly :)

Weight
245 lbs for a gain of 1 lb, within maintaining guide = 2 points (This is where I'm unclear on the instructions, is maintaining for goal weight? If so then I'm zero here)

Yeah it's for maintaining your goal weight :) I'll go back and clarify on the original post.

Just a quick drive by to say Hi to everyone!!!

I have been a slug this weekend, but we did move the furniture around in our bedroom and living room does that count as x-trainning :) :lmao:

Here is to a great week to all

Congrats Rick on yet another Marathon you are amazing my friend!!!

Lynn, hope all goes well tomorrow

Kim

Happy Monday! I thought I'd give us a bump up to the top of the page again :) So the stats from last week are:

Dave 15 points/0%
Elizabeth 40 points/0%
Hung 29 points/ 0.65%
Kim -1.53%
Kimberly 27 points/-0.61%
Kipp 16 points/0.41%
Lynn 35 points/0.67%
Rick 29 points/ -0.24%
Robbie 32 points/0.52%
Vicky 34 points/0.52%

The biggest loser for the week is Kim and the points winner is Elizabeth!! Woo-hoo! Congrats ladies :) Below are the stats for the first month if anyone is interested. I'll get a total for the points as well tonight.

Stats for February:
Dave -1.84%
Elizabeth -.0.5%
Hung -0.51%
Kim -0.8%
Kimberly -1.69%
Kipp -1.21%
Lynn -1.31%
Rick -0.81%
Robbie 0%
Vicky -3.14%

Good morning, everyone,

It is cold and windy this morning. I'm planning a trip to the gym this evening for some treadmill time.

Lynn: I saw Scott's fb post that you are doing well. Glad to hear it.:thumbsup2

Enjoy the day, all!

Good Morning Team!

I am doing well, I am on a continuous motion machine right now, in fact, two of them, both legs are going ,and because of those, I am lying flat on my back, so it is hard to type on this iPad. I got a lot of sleep yesterday which felt really good. I will have to keep track of my PT time for my exercise.

Pixie Dust to anyone else in need.

Good morning everyone. I ran into November last year and then took the winter off. I hate the cold!! However, I have decided to run the Disney Marathon. More than decided actually. We have paid for the room. We are booked. We are committed. I ran my first run of 3 miles yesterday. The work (and fun) is back on.

Hi team!

Lynn - Lots of pixiedust: for a speedy recovery! Glad you were able to get a lot of rest yesterday. Keep us posted on how things are going.

Elizabeth - It's still really chilly here too. Hoping it warms up soon! Have a great run tonight :)

Tom - Sounds like all you have to do is to register for the race and you're set! I'm not a fan of running in the cold either. I usually take January and part of February off for that reason.

AFM - I got in a 30 minute workout at the gym last night with my chiro and I did 15 minutes on the spin bike myself before that. I had hoped to get in another 15-30 minutes on my own afterward but my chiro asked if I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig for him. He had just taken a taping course and wanted to practice on a runner. So he taped my achilles and my knee. He uses Kinesio Tape and I'll have to ask him about the taping method he uses. It's pretty interesting though to have my chiro do it ... I think a lot of the people who work at KT Tape are athletic therapists or have just been trained for taping. He said next Monday he'd do more taping. I said "Sure!" - Anything to get me to the start line uninjured :)

So I had planned on taking a rest day today but figure I might as well run since I have tape on. Will probably go for a 3.5 miler and hoping I don't run into those two stupid dogs again. Anyone have any experience dealing with dogs?

EMHDad said:
Good morning everyone. I ran into November last year and then took the winter off. I hate the cold!! However, I have decided to run the Disney Marathon. More than decided actually. We have paid for the room. We are booked. We are committed. I ran my first run of 3 miles yesterday. The work (and fun) is back on.

LOL! Out here in Chicago, if I didn't run in the cold, I'd have to take six months off! Glad you are back with us and planning for WDW 2014! Are you going to be running any races between now and then?

Lynn: I am so glad that the surgery went well! Take care and let that recovery come naturally. I am very excited to hear how fast the new 'bionics' will make you!

Elizabeth: Have you checked your shoes at that spot? Maybe there is something there which is slightly protruding? When I was having an issue with a hot spot, I used a product from Engo (goengo.com) that is basically a thin sticker that you place inside your shoe where you have friction issues. You might give it a shot. Check out the web site.

Kipp: How did your Sunday run go? I am excited to run with you again at the Flying Pig Half!

Vicky: I have never gotten 'taped' for a run. What does that do for you exactly? Maybe I am missing something good! I am sorry I did not post my weekly stats for last week. I was so focused on the race that I kept running out of time each evening. I better post it now before the next Friday comes! So here is what I did:

Weight: 246.4

Exercise: 4 (Taper Week kinda cuts into exercise hours...)
Workout Challenge: 1 (I really need to get better at doing these)
Water: 7
Multivitamins: 7
Dairy: 7
Veggies: 3
TOTAL: 29

AFM: Well, I have completed my second goal for 2013! I finished the Little Rock Marathon -- that's 3 Full Marathons in 50 days -- and am now a Marathon Maniac (#6743)! I am SO Excited (and sore) to now be a "Double Agent" (meaning i am both a Half Fanatic and a Marathon Maniac). I won't lie -- I am happy that I won't have to revisit 26.2 until August. :)

The medal is HUGE and weighs about 2.75 lbs! I wore it around my neck for about 10 minutes and that was about all I could handle! I got to hang out with another WISHer, Susie Capehart and her DH, which was awesome! She ran the Half and without actually planning it, we ended up walking back to the hotel together after the race (we stayed at the same hotel). She was really nice and drive me to the airport on Monday morning. I am hoping she might consider joining HM!

This week is going to be a low activity week. I hurt my hip on Mile 23.5 and had to walk 2 miles before running the last .5 mile in to finish. It is MUCH better this morning tho, So I may do some casual walking this week, and then start some runs next week. I have 3 weeks to my next race -- a 5K -- so I am going to 'ease' back into training and give my body some well deserved rest. I doubt I will exceed 20 miles/per week for the next several months. We'll just have to see.

bunnyfoo - good luck on the run today. I am not sure where you are. Is it snowing there? No experience with dogs, but my prayers with you for a peaceful run.

runrookie - I want to have a run in before then, yes. Mainly, I want to run a half. First, to just do it. Moreso though so I can get a sub 2:45 time (hopefully) and get a better corral so I am not in the last one.

So, I am looking at the chicago half in middle may or there is a wisconsin dells one in september. May is cutting it close for training (I would have about 8-9 weeks) but doable, I think. September is more reasonable, But a lot of hills!) The main issue is that I am a pastor. Therefore all Sunday races are out.

For you, good luck on the recovery and hope your 5k goes well.

Kipp: How did your Sunday run go? I am excited to run with you again at the Flying Pig Half!

Well, the Sunday run went well. I took it "easy" and originally started at a 4/1:30 interval. Then I forgot that the workout session I chose with the Garmin was the borked one and it only repeats twice. So I continued on with a 4/1 interval because it was easier to keep track of on the treadmill-o-doom timer.

I THOUGHT my schedule had me set for a 5 mile run, when actually week 1 was supposed to be 4. I went over both 5 and 4 :) Sorta made up for the 2 days that I skipped by a very little bit.

I've started off right this week and got my run on the Tm-O-D. I'm REALLY to the point that I'm hoping the weather gets into the "normal" 50's for March quickly. I want to get back outside so much! Even though I've not done much running inside since marathon weekend.

Last night I also signed up for a 5K on June 2nd. It's one of those Color Run 5K's, one of the salesmen at work and his girlfriend are probably are going to be there as she had a blast at the one held last year. I got a half off code from a promoted Facebook post, so I though "what the heck for 25 bucks?" :)

If one of my online gaming friends in Cinci decides to do the Flying Pig 5K with his kids, I may be signing up for that too! I haven't seen them for almost 3 years now! He is also another that was diagnosed with Diabetes and he lost a lot of weight. He was having major eye issues and I think that is one of the things that made me take loosing weight a lot more seriously.

Happy Wednesday!!:goodvibes We have this exercise to do at work where we have to write down something that we're happy about every day. I thought it was kind of a silly thing to do at first but I was surprised at the number of things I was actually writing down - small things but still :) It's an interesting exercise to say the least.

Kipp - I've always wanted to do a Color Run, they look like a lot of fun! Good job on the running - just get those miles in whether they're on the TM or outdoors! My manager has a similar story. He's was seriously overweight but after he lost feeling on his foot, he started taking care of his diabetes a lot more. He lost some weight and is working on the rest (I think anyway).

Tom - Thanks for that :) I didn't see those two little terrors last night. I prefer Saturday races myself but those are pretty rare in my area as well. I hope you're able to find one that matches your schedule. Of course, it could be an opportunity to organize one with your Church maybe?

Rick - Congrats on the full and your humongous medal! Take it easy this week and take your time recovering. The low mileage plan sounds like a good idea.

The tape works the same way as brace would but it's light weight and more importantly it's flexible. So for example, on the knee, the tape would help to hold my knee cap in a specific position so that it tracks properly while I'm running (thus preventing pain). Some people think it's a placebo effect but I've found that it's worked well for my ankles and achilles.

Lynn - pixiedust:

AFM - I went for a run last night and decided to take a stick with me just in case. Naturally, they weren't which meant I looked like a bit of a fool running with a big branch. Oh well. :blush: Got in 3.5 miles in 35 minutes which I'm happy with. The tape my chiro had put on held up well - I did tell him that I don't have any knee pain right now so it was hard for me to evaluate how the tape is performing. I'm hoping to get out tonight for another 35 minute run.

How is everyone doing with the weight loss challenge? Remember that your weight is only one part of the big picture. If you're not seeing the number on the scale - you could be losing inches and your clothing could be fitting better. Also keep an eye on what you're eating - try to eat clean - read the labels and watch for refined sugars, try making food from scratch and avoid the processed stuff - it's full of sodium and lots of additives, increase your protein intake and watch the amount of carbs you're eating - I've been reading a book that says wheat products are really spike your blood sugar levels (even the whole wheat/whole grain stuff). So just be aware of those things.

And snacking ... that was one of the things that use to kill me. I believe the general rule is that 1 lb=3,500 cals ... so if you're able to reduce your calorie intake by 500 calories/day over a 7 day period, you should be able to lose a lb a week. That's a generalization but those little 100 calorie snack packs or the handful of candy every day can add up :)

Have a great day everyone :wave2:

So here are my numbers for this week. I am at 162.2 pounds. I have five days of exercise. I have seven days of Dairy, seven days of vitamins, seven days of water. I have four days of vegetables. Although I did not try a new healthy food, I did put a new vitamin into my diet thanks to Rebecca. I don't know if that counterpointed not but I will leave that up to you Vicky. I have now put omega-3 vitamins into my diet. i Think that's all for my points I will update you I think of anything else. Everyone have a great weekend, enjoy your running and if anyone is doing any anybody has any races, rear!

Should say counts as points, not counterpoint and kick rear not just rear. Lol!

Exercise Challenge: 3 (did the harder version - no knees touching ground!)
8 hours exercise: 8 points
8 Glasses of Water a day: 7 points
Try a healthy Recipe: 0
Multivitamin: 0
5 Fruits/Veggies: 7
2 Servings Dairy: 7

Weight loss: down 1.5 from last week(and start weight), now @192.5

Weight
245 lbs - same as last week

Exercise
Completing a weekly workout challenge = 0
1 hours of exercise = 2 point

Healthy eating
Drinking 8 glasses of water a day = 3 points
Trying a new healthy food or recipe for the week = 0
Taking a multivitamin daily = 7 points
Eating five servings of fruits and veggies daily = 0 points
Eating two servings of dairy a daily = 3 points

Making progress on the running this past week. On my shorter runs during the week I'm working on speed and then I dial it back a little bit on the longer Sunday run.

Now, tonight, I was bad and skipped out on my run to go see Oz. I thought it was very good, go see it! :)

Good Morning Team! I finally dragged myself to the desk computer, I have the iPad, but could only handle a couple of posts at one time. I am in some pain, but have managed to keep up with the Physical Therapy exercises.

Vicky - thanks for the Pixie Dust!

Kim - Moving furniture sounds like cross training to me!

Rick - Thanks Rick, although I do not feel very bionic now! Take care of that hip!

AFM - OK, here are my points they will be really skewed due to surgery.

Exercise: 3 hours - 3 points (did not count any of the physical therapy yet, as it does not seem like exercise.
Weekly workout challenge - 0
Eating:
Water : definitely 3 points, I do not know if I can count the IV's which had me saturated with water while I was in the clinic, if so, then 6 points.
vitamin - 0 (not allowed to take vitamins since a week ago Wed.)
Fruits and veggies - 3
Dairy - 3 (I cannot say I ate enough of anything since Monday to constitute a serving on anything.

Now the really surprising part - weight is up 10 pounds - 160. I even had Scott see how much the knee replacements weighed, but not enough to make a difference. He has lost 15 pounds since his surgery.

Total: 12 (or 15) points

Pixie dust to all who are in need!

Have a great day team!

Fighting a cold today so just a quick drop-in to leave my stats:

Weight
159 lbs for a loss of 1.0 lbs

Exercise
Completing a weekly workout challenge = 3
5 hours of exercise = 5 points

Healthy eating
Drinking 8 glasses of water a day = 7 points
Trying a new healthy food or recipe for the week = 1 point (quinoa and kale patties)
Taking a multivitamin daily = 4 points
Eating five servings of fruits and veggies daily = 7 points
Eating two servings of dairy a daily = 7 points

Total points:34

Oops I forgot to post the exercise of the week. Ok, so it's a squat, curl, press. You'll need a set of dumbbells - I'll let you guys pick the weight you want to use. If you're trying the exercise for the first time, go with a lighter weight.

Basically, you're standing feet shoulder-width apart with a dumbbell in each hand at your side. You're going into a squat and you're going to curl your arms as you're standing back up and then "press" the weight once you're fully standing. Try to do it in a continuous motion. Be careful to keep your back straight as you're squatting. If you have knee or back issues, skip the squat and just do the curl and press with the weights.

http://cdn.menshealth.com/media/images/cma/oct04_squatcurlpres_385x300.jpg

Try to get in 10 reps x 3. Rest or do another exercise in between.

That's it :)

Good Morning Team!

I am back to the iPad, my knees did not like being up and about yesterday, so I will spend more of today on my back with my legs up. My PT exercises take about 45 min, 3 times a day, so if I count that, my exercise points will be good, if nothing else.

Pixie Dust to all who are in need!

Have a great day team!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter