Had to finally book with NCL because Disney wanted me to sell my house... lol

We sailed from Miami in May on the Wonder for the WBPC. Flew into FLL on SW, took SAS to downtown Miami hotel, stayed on points at the Doubletree Biscayne Bay, walked a block to Publix for cruise beverages, ate dinner & breakfast in the hotel, had a lovely view of the bay, and took a cab to port. Never needed a car in Miami. I researched what was nearby the hotel. Worked flawlessly. Was fun to be on a new adventure in a new city. We really enjoyed it.

I should have done this. I did almost the identical thing (even SLS) except I stayed in FTL the night before at the Hilton Garden Inn, which I really don't recommend. I tried so hard to find a FLL area hotel serviced by SAS that was also within walking distance of a grocery store or decent restaurant, but I struck out with the urban sprawl and I didn't have much time to research. Should have stayed in Miami the night before.

DH and I just had a conversation about all of this and... Well now we are "stuck" with this DCL cruise (non-refundable plane tickets, and we can't move our vacation dates etc.) but honestly, we feel like idiots.

I know we'll have a GREAT time with DCL... but we realized that would could have had grand suites + "super extra fine dining" for a lot less with other cruise lines. And would most likely have a great time as well (yes, even with Carnival).

We are surrounded with friends who can barely afford to go out of town for the week-end and here we are, paying an extra (and not a small one) for the mouse salary... Like we "need" it (seriously, we don't). I thought about renting a Cabana on CC but I am not gonna do it. I don't "need" it.

It's probably gonna be our last Disney cruise (unless we win the lottery or something). It was a great run with WDW and all that. But we need a break (a wallet break). We gave way too much money to the mouse.

DH and I just had a conversation about all of this and... Well now we are "stuck" with this DCL cruise (non-refundable plane tickets, and we can't move our vacation dates etc.) but honestly, we feel like idiots.

I know you weren't looking for solutions to your upcoming DCL cruise, but it may be worthwhile to check what other ships are sailing from that port (or nearby ports, if FL) on those same dates.

We just did and that is why I am saying we are stuck. We booked dates in order to fly at least one day in advance --March 14 Evening flight for our cruise leaving on March 16 --during winter. Similar cruises leave on the afternoon of March 14... Really it's just a bad timing. And the cost to change our plane dates would cancel the savings we would make with the other cruise lines.

So we'll do this cruise, renew our vows at Castaway Cay and use the rest of the cruise as a second honeymoon so we can at least feel like there is a good reason for the investment... :rotfl2:

But that will be it for a very long time. We need to try other options. Maybe we'll realize we were wrong... But we won't know if we don't try it.

Interesting thread! i remember reading this one a few weeks ago and then it popped up again. i am curious as to why it seems the majority here are jumping to specifically to NCL. My parents have been bringing that line up a lot lately as well. They are avid Celebrity and DCL cruisers (even for adult only) and I just figured they were bringing it up because they wanted to try it.

@GatorMomInNC if you are talking about the Celebrity boards on Cruise Critic - i think there are a few posters (i recall one in particular) that is quite passionate and openly against children on Celebrity. ha ha. my parents have talked to cruisers with children who love their kids club and have a great experience.

After seeing opening days prices for the 2016 Baltic (seriously, I would have done a spit take had I been drinking something that I could quite literally get a comparable room still available on the 2015 itinerary for the same price, about an 80% increase over last year opening day) I booked a NCL suite with the 'best' promos: beverage and dining packages with gratuities, obc, free gratuities, kids sail half off etc. for substantial savings. I later cancelled and do not regret it at all.

When I cancelled, it was after they increased their gratuities, but the way they describe it, I was uncomfortable with the fact that they intentionally obscured how the $ would be split. The tips covered specialty dining and then didn't. They had implemented the too service fee and then banned takeout food for our safety. Then there were the issues with the kids club hours and limiting capacity. My kids are not heavy kids club users, but I am not lining up 20 minutes early so they can get a spot at all, only to have to pick them up 2 hours later. More recently with the dining changes and increased 'tips' again, I am so glad I cancelled as I have no idea what I would actually be getting next year. And the amateurish way it has been handled left a really bad taste in my mouth.

We ended up taking a break from cruising (we did DCL Alaska and are sailing again out of Galveston in December this year) next summer. We were looking at ABD, but decided instead to take our first group trip with Tauck Bridges instead. Longer, all but one meal covered, kids picked it over Disney, better price, gratuities included (so another $700 less than the comparable Disney itinerary), with better hotels and I understand better treatment for triples in a room.

I would like to try other cruise lines but I don't want to have to get very dressed up for dinner or deal with the hassle of dressing up the kids most nights.

After seeing opening days prices for the 2016 Baltic (seriously, I would have done a spit take had I been drinking something that I could quite literally get a comparable room still available on the 2015 itinerary for the same price, about an 80% increase over last year opening day) I booked a NCL suite with the 'best' promos: beverage and dining packages with gratuities, obc, free gratuities, kids sail half off etc. for substantial savings. I later cancelled and do not regret it at all.

When I cancelled, it was after they increased their gratuities, but the way they describe it, I was uncomfortable with the fact that they intentionally obscured how the $ would be split. The tips covered specialty dining and then didn't. They had implemented the too service fee and then banned takeout food for our safety. Then there were the issues with the kids club hours and limiting capacity. My kids are not heavy kids club users, but I am not lining up 20 minutes early so they can get a spot at all, only to have to pick them up 2 hours later. More recently with the dining changes and increased 'tips' again, I am so glad I cancelled as I have no idea what I would actually be getting next year. And the amateurish way it has been handled left a really bad taste in my mouth.

We ended up taking a break from cruising (we did DCL Alaska and are sailing again out of Galveston in December this year) next summer. We were looking at ABD, but decided instead to take our first group trip with Tauck Bridges instead. Longer, all but one meal covered, kids picked it over Disney, better price, gratuities included (so another $700 less than the comparable Disney itinerary), with better hotels and I understand better treatment for triples in a room.

I would like to try other cruise lines but I don't want to have to get very dressed up for dinner or deal with the hassle of dressing up the kids most nights.

We did our first Tauck Bridges in June. Ireland Forever! It was fantastic. Very impressed with the Tauck Bridges. Will probably be booking one of their western U.S. trips for next summer or the Rhine River cruise.

Thanks to all of you who've relayed their experiences on the Getaway. Like so many of you, we don't see the value in the prices DCL charges anymore. After 15 DCL cruises, we cancelled our Oct Fantasy cruise and booked the Getaway for the same week, at a cost of $5800 for a haven H5 which includes the unlimited dining package, unlimited beverage package, $300 onboard credit and the daily gratuities paid. Compared to the concierge family stateroom with veranda on the Fantasy at $10,200 for the same week,choosing the Getaway was a no brainier. We are looking forward to new entertainment, new dining experiences and all the water slides and rope course, etc the Getaway offers, not to mention the Haven outdoor area! The only thing I'll miss is Castaway Cay but for that much money I can handle it.

Thanks to all of you who've relayed their experiences on the Getaway. Like so many of you, we don't see the value in the prices DCL charges anymore. After 15 DCL cruises, we cancelled our Oct Fantasy cruise and booked the Getaway for the same week, at a cost of $5800 for a haven H5 which includes the unlimited dining package, unlimited beverage package, $300 onboard credit and the daily gratuities paid. Compared to the concierge family stateroom with veranda on the Fantasy at $10,200 for the same week,choosing the Getaway was a no brainier. We are looking forward to new entertainment, new dining experiences and all the water slides and rope course, etc the Getaway offers, not to mention the Haven outdoor area! The only thing I'll miss is Castaway Cay but for that much money I can handle it.

We have also done many DCL cruises and gave the Getaway a try in June and all I can say is WOW!!!! get ready you are going to have an awesome time. Infact the wife and I will be cruising on her again this September. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I think you will be very happy with NCL's Haven and the Getaway. All of our NCL cruises have been in Haven suites except one (because the Star doesn't have a Haven). Even though the prices are rising a bit for those suites its no where near the price of DCL concierge and we have sailed most of our DCL cruises in Concierge. IMO, the NCL suite perks are much better than DCL. We sailed the Getaway and Breakaway this year and loved them both. I will be sailing the Escape Maiden transatlantic voyage in October and looking forward to enjoying the Haven amenities again as well as exploring a new ship. 10 straight sea days!

Here we are: I accidentally booked (wanted to make a deposit but accidentally paid the whole cruise and it's not cancellable now...) a Bermuda cruise with Carnival for October 2016. Not the same room category but still, we got 7 days (inside spa room) for 1800$, while will DCL (in march) we get 4 nights (balcony) for 2300$ (...because we had 10% off) an inside room would have cost us about 1900$.

I'm not gonna lie to you, I've been watching videos, reading stuff online and heard comments from friends... It doesn't sound bad at all! (Seems to be just like the Value resort at WDW: they are not deluxe but they are not bad at all!)

Here we are: I accidentally booked (wanted to make a deposit but accidentally paid the whole cruise and it's not cancellable now...) a Bermuda cruise with Carnival for October 2016. Not the same room category but still, we got 7 days (inside spa room) for 1800$, while will DCL (in march) we get 4 nights (balcony) for 2300$ (...because we had 10% off) an inside room would have cost us about 1900$.

I'm not gonna lie to you, I've been watching videos, reading stuff online and heard comments from friends... It doesn't sound bad at all! (Seems to be just like the Value resort at WDW: they are not deluxe but they are not bad at all!)

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Carnival. I know people on these boards like to hate on Carnival (many without ever setting foot on CCL) but the longer cruises are not anything like their short 3-4 night party cruises.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Carnival. I know people on these boards like to hate on Carnival (many without ever setting foot on CCL) but the longer cruises are not anything like their short 3-4 night party cruises.

The Carnival Sunshine looks nice. So far, I'm really excited.

i am curious as to why it seems the majority here are jumping to specifically to NCL

I checked them on a whim one day when a woman I know from a different kind of message board altogether mentioned she and her DH had booked on one of NCLs older ships. It occurred to me to see what they offered and when I opened the site it had a picture of a guy on the ropes course on the "plank" over the ocean. Yeah. I wanted to know more. I played with the site for a few minutes and actually scared myself when I saw HOW MUCH CHEAPER it was than DCL. I saw rock wall, mini golf, FIVE waterslides, and that ropes course. I asked DH what he thought and about four days later we booked it.

I did Princess last year with a friend for a moms' trip. It was a wonderful trip. I loved the sun decks and the movie screen. The food was outstanding and I would never hesitate to do another Princess cruise with another adult. But it looked lame-o for kids. Saw precious few.

NCL, DCL and RCI seem to target kids the most.

What I didn't like about Carnival is that the site was so a la carte goofy picking a room. It really hit me as "nickel and dime" in that stage of the game any way. Now, their Vista looks kind of cool.

Just another interesting observation to add, for anyone who's followed this thread from the start. There's been some concern from a few posters about all the changes NCL has made over the past few months with a new CEO at that company, and people not necessarily being happy about the changes or the way it's been handled. In the past week on the DCL forums here, I've seen two different threads pop up. One about DCL no longer allowing things to be dumped off at guest services for signatures from characters (it was an unofficial service that was never actually offered or sanctioned by DCL, but one they've been doing for years because guests saw that they "could" from reading message boards and such) and another today about hot tub/pool hours being reduced to now close at 10pm instead of midnight. On both of those threads people are disappointed and upset about those changes. Add to that the $5 increase to both Palo and Remy this year, and the spa auto gratuity that started a year ago, as well as some port day changes, and you'll see that changes aren't only happening at NCL. With both Royal Caribbean and NCL upping the daily gratuities this year, I know it will not be long before DCL does so as well. It's been $12 for a VERY long time, and watch those threads when that happens.

It's nice to see a thread about other cruise lines that seems to have so much support for the other lines. Usually when the threads pop up, it's staunch defense of Disney and can sometimes turn to bashing of the other lines.

anybody know the reason NCL HAS small BALCONYS

We have done one of the older ships (Dawn) and (Getaway). About to go back on Getaway for the second time in a few weeks. The balcony issues are tied to the new -AWAY class of ships. Seems to be a new build issue since Princess has had the same complaints with Royal/Regal. Basically they are trying to jam as much in to the ships as possible and the cost is the size of the balcony.

Honestly skip the regular balconies and go for one of the extended ones. We had a B6 balcony last August which is listed at 70 sq ft. (there was more than enough room for a couple of lounge chairs, table, etc). Basically AWESOME. Outdoing it this year with a Cat BX (only 4 of the cabins on the AWAY ships). Balcony is closer to 100 sq ft. There are also a bunch of minisuites (not really suites, just deluxe balconies) with balconies ranging from 85 - 118 sq ft.

i am curious as to why it seems the majority here are jumping to specifically to NCL. My parents have been bringing that line up a lot lately as well. They are avid Celebrity and DCL cruisers (even for adult only) and I just figured they were bringing it up because they wanted to try it.

Last summer we were docked in St. Maarten next to an NCL ship (I think it was Breakaway.). My kids were oohing and ahhing over everything on the upper decks of that ship, water slides, rock wall, ropes course, etc. Recently, a friend posted pictures of her family vacation on the Getaway. It looked so fun I started researching for myself and found prices too good to pass up, so we are booked for next summer.

Since I haven't chimed in about this in a few pages: while I am side-eyeing some of NCL's recent changes, there is no denying that I loved my cruise on Getaway in June. (It was my first cruise and I had nothing to compare it to, but it was still awesome and I loved being on the ship.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter