Guilt over couponing...??? Am I the only one...

I am happy to see this thread! My sister and I both began couponing this past February when her husband lost his joband now we're addicted! We made three ring binders with lots of categories (used the example from thekrazycouponlady.com) and store the coupon in baseball trading card sheets. We get together every Friday night and hit five stores in a five mile loop. Each of us have gotten our grocery/household bills to less than $250 per month! It becomes really addicting, but being organized in the store line is very helpful. We read local blogs before going out to the stores (make someone do the work for us!) so we are very prepared once in line. I have given up brand loyalty for price on quite a few products and haven't regretted it yet! Happy Couponing to all!!

Where do you all get the coupons from? That's a huge savings but I never seem to get that much.

ohhhhhhh, i'm gonna hate myself in the morning but....I order coupons from www.thecouponmaster.com and www.couponsthingsbydede.com . Both ladies have a great inventory of coupons and good, prompt service.

We are fortunate enough to have double up to 99cents here and I take advantage of all I can.

I think it is funny that so many of you avoid cashiers that give you a hard time with your big stack of coupon money. When I get a cashier that gives me a hard time--I specifically look for them the next time. :lmao:

I haven't experienced any issues with a cashier, but I get "the face" from people behind me in line sometimes. I always make sure my coupons are organized before I go to the register so that I can just give the cashier my stack of coupons without having to go through all of them to pick out the ones I'm using. If I have to endure some nasty looks from people in order to save $20-$30 per grocery trip, I'll do it! ;)

I have always been a savvy shopper, and used coupons on occasion (esp for clothes).

Lately, the last 2 months or so, I have become a coupon nut. I LOVE IT. And rarely is it for food. I have pretty much gotten for $2 or less the following the last month with coupons and tracking store specials:

Schick razors
Snuggle softener (.99 per bottle)
All detergent (.99 per bottle)
toothpaste (colgate)
pads and tampons (always and tampax)
Mitchum deodorant (.58)

Card games like monopoly, sorry, uno for either .99 or free
$3 Mr Potato Head
$2.33 My Little Ponies
3 boardgames for under $10 at Toys R Us- Memory, Operation, Connect 4
Toy Story and Toy Story 2 Blue Ray/DVD for under $7 each
These all mady fantastic gifts- I have 3 kids 12 and under and we have constant b-day parties to go to

And yes, I do use it for convenience foods too- recently I totally scored with Mac n Cheese, Hamburger Helper, Chef Boyardee, pizzas. Do we eat like this nightly? Of course not, but with DH in Iraq and me working part-time, it's great to have stuff in a pinch. I also use coupons with our local grocery stores for fresh produce and meats. Bread often is super cheap with coupons too.

I am a total convert. I love getting toiletries and household items for at least 70% off.

My problem is it's stressful. I hate not getting the deals I hear people talking about. I never get the free toothpaste.

it's a lot of work. I have used hotcouponworld couponmom etc. I've done the binder [still have hard time finding coupons]...done the labeling on the flyers and not cutting the coupons that was annoying too...I wish there was someone who posted 'here are the deals to get this week...' and tell you what and where! LOL.

I need to get back into it. I spend SOOO much on groceries and toiletries.

I did really good at getting my hair color kits for <$2!

I missed out on the games deal because I was too unorganized....it really starts to bog you down if you get behind....

any tips ??

Thanks.

TnTWalter...you really have to find a method that works for you. I too tried the not cutting thing, and while it did make it easier to see the coupons, lugging all those papers out really annoyed me.

Its hardest to get organized initially. Afterwards, its just maintenance and it gets easier.

I clip only the coupons I think I'll use, or if the coupon is really good. I have a little plastic organizer by category that works for me. I've heard some people organize like the layout of their store, but that isn't the way I think. I clip them on the table make a little pile. I then check them against this week's sales, and if they're not useful, I organize them like I would when putting them into their organizer. Before I add them, I check the older coupons for expired ones. This maybe takes me an hour Sunday nights.

If you're more computer oriented, I have heard of those websites that combine sales with coupons depending on your store, but I haven't used them.

I keep store coupons like for Macy's or JCPenney separate, but coupons for the grocery and pharmacy together with my regular coupons.

If I happen to see something on sale but left my coupon at home, I've bought it then have gone back, returned the item and re-purchased it.

It may be easier for me also since I only really have three options for groceries and two drug stores, plus Walmart..but I rarely use coupons at Walmart. I find the sales and coupons are better combined at my grocery store. Also both my pharmacy and grocer's adverts have "look for additional savings..." right in them so I know there's a coupon out there!

My problem is it's stressful. I hate not getting the deals I hear people talking about. I never get the free toothpaste.

...I wish there was someone who posted 'here are the deals to get this week...' and tell you what and where! LOL.

If I didn't have blogs doing all the work for me, then I doubt I would be so successful! My two favorites are west coast people (frugallivingnw and thekrazycouponlady) but I bet a simple internet search could find you a blog in your area. They spell it out exactly for you...even providing links to print internet coupons if needed. It will look something like this:

Hot dogs on sale buy one get one free
Use 75 cents off coupon from 3/14 Smart Source newspaper insert
Use doubler (additional 75 cents off)
Pay XXX for two packs of hot dogs

No work for me...just have to have the coupons and hit the store!! Some people don't cut them out and just write the date on the front and cut out coupons as they are referenced in blogs (like the above example).

Good luck....every penny saved can be used for vacation!

There is no way I can actively follow each indiv. blog I subscribe to. so what I have done, is I 'fanned' them on facebook. Then each day, a few times a day, I scroll thru and see if anything pops up on my news feed from these couponing divas. That's how I get the scoop on where to print off the coupons, where the deal is at, etc. I have 'fanned' Krazy Coupon Lady, Couponing to DIsney, Fabulessly Frugal, Totally Target, and more.

When there is a really 'hot' coupon from the Sunday papers, I sometimes order more off of ebay. Like the $3 off snuggle coupon- I had two from my own clippings, but I ordered $10 more for $3. It was still a net savings of $27. Now we have Snuggle/fabric softener for at least a year. I do probably 8-10 loads of wash a week for my family of 5, so it's a staple it really pays to stock up on.

And yes, I do use it for convenience foods too- recently I totally scored with Mac n Cheese, Hamburger Helper, Chef Boyardee, pizzas. Do we eat like this nightly? Of course not, but with DH in Iraq and me working part-time, it's great to have stuff in a pinch. I also use coupons with our local grocery stores for fresh produce and meats. Bread often is super cheap with coupons too.

You know, I dont' get the attitude some people have about boxed foods. Yeah, it's great to cook from scratch every night, but clearly not everyone does that. If they did Kraft would have gone out of business long ago. Sorry, but I LIKE canned soup.:confused3 If I can combine a sale and a coupon for Chunky soup, I am going to go for it.

I admit to skimming a couple of pages and may have missed it, but I find www.thecouponclippers.com to be much better deals for buying coupons than on ebay. I have not looked yet at the other two mentioned above.

You know, I dont' get the attitude some people have about boxed foods. Yeah, it's great to cook from scratch every night, but clearly not everyone does that. If they did Kraft would have gone out of business long ago. Sorry, but I LIKE canned soup.:confused3 If I can combine a sale and a coupon for Chunky soup, I am going to go for it.

I admit to skimming a couple of pages and may have missed it, but I find www.thecouponclippers.com to be much better deals for buying coupons than on ebay. I have not looked yet at the other two mentioned above.

I don't get people's attitudes here on the DIS either, about MANY topics. Hence why I don't add my .02 to much anymore. I shouldn't have made any sort of apology for my use of boxed foods. I do, and who really cares. :cool2: Thanks for the tip on couponclippers. I will check it out next time. I did look at some sites like that for the All and Snuggle coupons and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe cause they were such 'hot' coupons.

Another suggestion for following blogs is to utilize Google's Reader. I follow about 55 blogs using their program. The people that write these blogs really do all of the work, I just take advantage of what I can.

Also coupons are out there for everything, not just food. I've been able to stock up on Laundry Detergent, Paper Towels, Tissues, etc in addition to food items.

steph

You know, I dont' get the attitude some people have about boxed foods. Yeah, it's great to cook from scratch every night, but clearly not everyone does that.
Hmmm ... I didn't see any "attitude" on the thread :confused3. A couple of posters said that they don't use packaged foods often and cook from scratch so they thought that couponing was not for them. I happen to agree with them. I have tried couponing for a few times but many things hold me back from saving a lot of money. First and foremost, is that I also do not buy a lot of packaged foods. There goes the vast majority of coupons I see. Secondly, I am pretty particular about detergents and health & beauty products due to my allergies. Lastly, I do not have it in me to stockpile things. I forget I have them and go out and buy more when I think I have run out :rotfl:.

If you want to buy your canned soup and save 50% off with coupons ... knock yourself out! It's better than paying full price :thumbsup2. Just don't take it personally when someone else says that they shop more of the perimeter of the store where coupons are far and few between than the center.

Oh ... and whoever came up with the hint for the booze coupons ... thanks! I'll make sure to look at them in the future as they are often for things like meat and veggies.

Hmmm ... I didn't see any "attitude" on the thread :confused3. A couple of posters said that they don't use packaged foods often and cook from scratch so they thought that couponing was not for them. I happen to agree with them. I have tried couponing for a few times but many things hold me back from saving a lot of money. First and foremost, is that I also do not buy a lot of packaged foods. There goes the vast majority of coupons I see. Secondly, I am pretty particular about detergents and health & beauty products due to my allergies. Lastly, I do not have it in me to stockpile things. I forget I have them and go out and buy more when I think I have run out :rotfl:.

If you want to buy your canned soup and save 50% off with coupons ... knock yourself out! It's better than paying full price :thumbsup2. Just don't take it personally when someone else says that they shop more of the perimeter of the store where coupons are far and few between than the center.
Oh ... and whoever came up with the hint for the booze coupons ... thanks! I'll make sure to look at them in the future as they are often for things like meat and veggies.

Sorry, but I would say 80% of where I am saving my money is neither on the perimeter of the store NOR is it packaged foods. It's toiletries. I doubt there are many here on the DIS who say they do not use deodorant, razors, toothpaste, shampoo, laundry soap, dishwashersoap, TP, paper towels, etc. I think we ALL love to save a buck on these items.

And again, when people diss the ingredients of packaged foods (as they often do here on the DIS, why, I don't know), those that do buy it just might feel defensive. I don't mean to start a debate or agitate any further, but I've seen it soooooooooooooooooooooo many times here....people just have to get the edge of judgement in. To each, his or her own!!!!!!!! :wizard:

Another suggestion for following blogs is to utilize Google's Reader. I follow about 55 blogs using their program. The people that write these blogs really do all of the work, I just take advantage of what I can.

Also coupons are out there for everything, not just food. I've been able to stock up on Laundry Detergent, Paper Towels, Tissues, etc in addition to food items.

steph

isn't it great? Due to some awesome coupons the last 2 weeks, I can eliminate the need to buy razors, deodorant, laundry soap and fabric softener out of my budget for probably a good 6 months. :thumbsup2 Plus I was able to buy my favorite brands anyway.

good tip on the google reader- I will try that! thanks!

Yep, this is me. I try my best not to use boxed food or prepared items. Sure there are times when I do.

Today, I was really going to try and start to use them. Sunday paper, great time to start. What a disappointment. Maybe there was one or two things that I could use. I also don't stock up and it never fails that if there is a coupon it is for something that I don't need and I am not the type of person to buy something that I may or may not use just because it is a good deal. Now before any one goes nuts, I am not saying that about anyone hear, but my dear sweet mother in law couldn't resist a sale and purchased $20.00 worth of zippers because there were a great deal and the woman didn't even sew. Even she laughed at herself. I told her that I could have saved her even more, just don't buy the zippers. lol One the soup thing, so not a soup eater and when I do, (flame away) I prefer to make my own and so do my kids. My dad could live on the stuff. IN fact I think he probably kept Campbells up and running.

isn't it great? Due to some awesome coupons the last 2 weeks, I can eliminate the need to buy razors, deodorant, laundry soap and fabric softener out of my budget for probably a good 6 months. :thumbsup2 Plus I was able to buy my favorite brands anyway.

good tip on the google reader- I will try that! thanks!

Yes I love the household coupons. I was able to stock up on laundry detergent in January and haven't had to purchase any since. We're a family of 5 and I do about 12 loads of laundry a week. The detergent when not on sale is 4.99 a bottle. I was able to get it on sale $2.99 a bottle plus I had $2.00 off 1 coupons.

For those starting the big thing is to hold onto your coupons and use them when the items are on sale. Check out Coupon Mom's website (it's free). She has a lot of tips out there.

And couponers don't just shop with coupons we monitor the sales (most stores/items run on cycles of time...the sales on xxx happen every xxx).

steph

so I search for blogs in my area for couponing and then I can use google reader? Wow when did I get so behind...

My area has Walmart, Meijer, Kroger, Marsh, CVS, Walgreens, Target just for groceries and toiletries so it gets difficult...

Anyone know of a fave blog in Indiana so I can be lazy? LOL.

Off to search.....

is there a googlel reader 'how to' by the way? Thanks so much.

I would LOVE to be able to do this again....I did good for several months out of necessity but it was very stressful like I said....

Trish

TnT, I use www.afullcup.com they have forums with most of the stores I have ever heard of. Peruse the forums there and you'll find what you need.

And, wow...I MISS Marsh and Kroger....we had Kroger in Texas, too, but Marsh certainly does bring back the memories. :)

I save 40-50% on my weekly grocery shopping with coupons and the store bonus card. We cook almost everything from scratch. I get plenty of coupons for meats and vegetables in our local store flier and local papers. I get great yogurt coupons from the little coupon magazines in the Sunday paper. Then I hang on to them till the store has a sale. I usually always wait to use a coupon until the store has the item on sale too. The little coupon magazine has great non food coupons that I use too.

I also, have all my coupons ready to go before I shop. I use the circular and make my list and prepare my coupons ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter