Guilt over couponing...??? Am I the only one...

S&K

2010, 2012, 2015 WOO HOO!
I don't know what it is...maybe it's the rolling eyes, the long sighs, the calling over a manager or what, but I just stared to really get into couponing, and I feel guilty for using them? I feel like they seem bothered, or they think I'm obtaining something illegally. Has anyone else felt this way? More importantly how do I get over it! I love saving for my family for Disney...but...?

I just started couponing seriously last year. One of the grocery stores I shop at is awesome, and the cashiers will even tell you about great deals they've seen others doing. The other store makes you feel like you're stealing from them. I've very careful that my coupons are for exactly what I'm buying, and that I have the right number of things, etc. You can probably guess which store gets my business.

Have you checked out www.afullcup.com There are a lot of expert couponers on there :)

If merchandisers didn't want you to use coupons they wouldn't print them. Nothing to feel guilty about. We don't use many coupons mainly because most of the generics we buy come out cheaper than the discounted price.

There have been times where I've been given an attitude or received comments of looks for using many coupons (yes, I'm THAT person in your grocery store! :thumbsup2). And yes, I've felt a little embarrassed or put out by it. But ultimately, when I look at the receipt and see how much I saved, I feel triumphant! :thumbsup2 More money in my wallet!

You're not stealing. Coupons are out there to encourage you to buy certain items, or try a new item. Coupons are doing their job. And grocery stores are getting business by some people because of coupons and sales. Its a win-win.

I once had a cashier give me an attitude when the coupon I was trying to use (right product, non-expired) wouldn't scan properly. I told her to reach into her pocket and give me the $1 that would equal my coupon's value. When put like that, she called the manager over and figured out how to scan that coupon! :lmao:

Thank you for your replies! I do feel a little better. I have become "that person in line" too over the last week! Today, my receipts were 74%, 88%, 89%, 89%, and 100% savings, and my big shop was 51% savings...saved $84, spent $83. I guess I should be proud of the hard work that it takes and is saving my family. But it's like you said about telling the clerk to take it out of her pocket and give it to you...it's not their money...NOR is it even the store's money...they get reimbursed from the manufacturer. Anyway...thanks guys!!!

I never feel guilty-especially when I put the money I saved with coupons into my savings account for vacation.:thumbsup2

I always use couponmom.com to find extra coupons for those Buy 1 Get 1 sales, and the double coupons at my local store help a lot. I use coupons at department stores, grocery stores, and even warehouse stores.

Don't feel guilty-be proud to be among the select few, the proud, the thrifty-minded shoppers!!!

You will learn which stores and cashiers who are coupon friendly. Watch what you do (only legal stuff and watch exp dates, etc) and keep your chin up. Sometimes it takes longer but just think of the money you are saving for your family.

For example, Kmart today...you can only use 5 coupons to double this week. I did the buy $15 Dove and recieve $5 off next purchase deal. I bought 1 shampoo, 2 conditioners, 1 deo. Total was well over $15 more like $17.25ish. I used 3 shampoo/cond coupons and 1 deo coupon, all doubled PLUS I bought another coupon organizer (had a $2 coupon from another purchase to use up from earlier this week). My total after coupons was $7 something. The coupon didn't print so I had to wait at the service desk for 10 minutes but I got my $5 for next time so well worth it to use coupons (In the right way :goodvibes)

OMG that is so true. I do have a favorite cashier. Always really friendly and appreciative of all my coupons. It just adds to the atmosphere of going to the grocery, getting good deals, and feeling great about it!

Do you also sometimes find that the clerks will try and rush through, and then you go ahead and pay (after feeling guilty for holding the line up) to only look at your receipt and noticed that either 3 stuck together or she/he didn't scan 2 of your coupons? I noticed that happened at Target today. Fortunately I look at the receipt before leaving the counter, she counted the receipts before throwing them in the drawer, and then told me to go to customer service to get a refund for the coupons not taken off...? Guess I really need to pay attention at the register, too.

No way do I feel guilty !! I have to say, for a while I think I embarrassed my DH until I told him about how much per month we were saving..... usually on food shopping we average $ 100-150 savings. So no, no guilt or shame here.
You have to do what you have to do for your family.....money is too precious right now!:thumbsup2 Plus, saving money helps us to be able to treat ourselves sometimes to other things. :yay:

Things happen all the time, whether its the cashier or the scanner. And most times, its ME! I do try to keep an eye on things and have no problem getting a price adjustment if need be. You do have to pay attention that you got the right item and that it matches the coupons. Also don't forget that sometimes you can find coupons on the items itself, or in the aisles. I also try to check for bottles/boxes with an extra % free (like shampoo) that gives me more bang for my couponed buck!

LOL I don't coupon and I feel guilty! When I check out and the women says "Do you have coupons??" I always say no and feel bad that I don't! I think I am going to get couponing...cause I rather feel bad saving a buck than not! Keep saving and forget whatever anybody else thinks!!!

I don't feel a BIT guilty altho Dh always tells me he expects me to be arrested any day for my 'illegal activities'. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I just tell him it's more of a crime to be stupid than to save money.

And if someone behind me gives me guff, I just look at them and say 'if it was your money, you'd want them to be right, too'.

Save, save, save!

I don't feel guilty, I feel "smart". It is so wonderful to have the extra money for something that we may need later. Just shake them"haters" off,:rotfl:

I don't feel guilty. I have had rude people behind me in line making comments. But, that's ok because I can walk out w/ a smile on my face since I saved so much $$$. They are the ones frowning when they walk out. :lmao:I am a full time nursing student, only DH works now & we have 3 kids. So, no I don't feel guilty about supporting my family by saving the $$. It'll get easier for you-just hang in there & don't give up!:thumbsup2

I don't know what it is...maybe it's the rolling eyes, the long sighs, the calling over a manager or what, but I just stared to really get into couponing, and I feel guilty for using them? I feel like they seem bothered, or they think I'm obtaining something illegally. Has anyone else felt this way? More importantly how do I get over it! I love saving for my family for Disney...but...?

I've been couponing, bringing my binder (baseball card holders) of coupons into stores for 3 years now. I don't feel guilty about couponing unless it' me who flummoxed.

About a month ago, I lost a high value coupon, $1.50 for the new Dawn, at Target. Some of my coupons were beeping and the cashier was just skimming over them. I was already home, 10 miles away, when I looked at my receipt to see she didn't bother to fix that $1.50 that beeped. I was kicking myself for awhile after that.

Since then, I am very diligent. I will count how many coupons I have in my hand, and add up their values so when I get my receipt, I know they've all gone through correctly. And I check my receipt before leaving the store.

Today I had 17 coupons, adding up to $18.xx. And you better believe I pulled the cart over to the side and check to make sure, before leaving the store.

My little couponing hobby has allowed us to stretch the money that is earned. I guess if there's any guilt to be assuaged, it's in knowing that because of saving with coupons, we were able to go to WDW, from NM. :wizard:

I try to warn the people who get in line behind me that I've got coupons and comp. adds! LOL Then I really try to watch the read out because I noticed on a 5.00 coupon that it beeped but never "took". You know you had a good day when the cashier tells you that you did good!:thumbsup2 One of the biggest money savers you can do is to check you reciept! After all my hard work with the coupons I checked over the reciept when I got to my car and found out I'd been charged the full price and the comp. price for something and overcharged for something that was on a price rollback. Went to the service desk and got back almost 8 dollars! This is almost a weekly thing so be sure and look yours over.

i just recently learned how to stack coupons on this board. i felt stupid the first time i tried at walgreens and the cashier wouldnt let me stack the store coupon with the manufactuers. the manager came over and was so annoyed he told her to just give me the money out of the register and he would figure it out later. i tried again at the foodstore last week and walked out with free items with no problems so have decided its worth the trouble.

i think the only time to feel guilty is when you do something decietful, like you know a coupon is for one item but you go to the "dumb cashier" with another item and pass it off as that. those cashiers are people and they may get in trouble for other people lies so i would never do that.

ok here is my take on it. I use coupons but I only buy the things that I need and use regularly. I'm not one to just buy something because its cheap or new. It has to be something I use regularly. Now here is the thing I hate, I hate when store employees act like your ripping off the store because you got such a great deal and when I get that attitude I stand my ground ask for a manager, remind the person that the coupons are put out by the manufacturer and tell them that they can buy the paper also. When someone sucks there teeth and complains if I truly have a ton and they have one or two items I let them go infront of me, otherwise tuff luck. Such is life.
If you've ever been to a sample sale in nyc you know first come first serve and who ever made it to the register first wins. lol I don't know why I thought about that but trust me if chanel was giving out coupons they would step on you for them and make you wait hours inline so just ignore the remarks and enjoy your savings.

I use both store and manufacturers coupons. however, I always let the people behind me with just a few items go ahead.
there is no express aisle at ALdis, but there was a long line, a girl was buying one dozen eggs, so I let her in front ofme. the people behind me got irritated! the lady in front of me (with a months worth of groceries) didn't let her go in front.... common sense, people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter