Grumpy Challenge 2017.... A Marathon Weekend TR (Updated 3/19 Final Thoughts)

WOOHOO!!! Marathon time. You are off to a great start. I'm loving all your pictures too. When I saw the Country Bears, I totally thought of you like, "Oh, I bet Ryan is stopping for this one!" Can't wait to read more!

So fun reading your marathon start. I was trying to figure out if the glasses lady standing in front of mile marker 3 is waiting for someone or just spaced out standing there or a very serious selfie taker!?!

I love going under the water bridge with big hands up top! I love the country bears too! Great start!

Lol! I didn't even really notice her!

Thanks!

WOOHOO!!! Marathon time. You are off to a great start. I'm loving all your pictures too. When I saw the Country Bears, I totally thought of you like, "Oh, I bet Ryan is stopping for this one!" Can't wait to read more!

Thanks! Of course I had to stop they are the best!

Your picture with Mater and Lightning is great! I also never know how to pose with those two ... it's kinda awkward...

I'm glad you got a picture with the Country Bears! I know you're a fan, so it definitely must have been cool to see them out there during the race.

Great start to the race! I'm looking forward to reading about the next 20.2 miles!

Your picture with Mater and Lightning is great! I also never know how to pose with those two ... it's kinda awkward...

I'm glad you got a picture with the Country Bears! I know you're a fan, so it definitely must have been cool to see them out there during the race.

Great start to the race! I'm looking forward to reading about the next 20.2 miles!
Thanks! Yeah I just was like okay I guess I'll stand here...

I was so excited! I just wish Big Al was out too.

Coming up soon!

Yeah I think I'll probably still keep mine but will not wear them when I have to do a lot of standing or walking again.
Just joining in... I HAD to comment on the Vans! I bought the Woody ones and wore them to MNSSHP where I walked 13 miles according to my watch. My feet were in SO much pain! It was cool when Buzz pointed to Andy's name on the bottom and some Vans store employee ran up to me in the confectionary asking how I got them since they were sold out, but I agree, only to be worn when not walking or standing a lot!

Last edited:

Just joining in... I HAD to comment on the Vans! I bought the Woody ones and wore them to MNSSHP where I walked 13 miles according to my watch. My feet were in SO much pain! It was cool when Buzz pointed to Andy's name on the bottom and some Vans store employee ran up to me in the confectionary asking how I got them since they were sold out, but I agree, only to be worn when not walking or standing a lot!
Yes love the shoes but definitely not something to wear in a theme park.

Fun fact from me: I've been totally slacking on comments because I thought for SURE I was way behind and the TR was done. WOOHOO it's not! But sorry for slacking on commenting on the awesomeness. I love the pictures, and great details! Your little sister is so stinkin cute! Same age range as my oldest DS and @MommaoffherRocker 's oldest DS too, so this has been completely relatable in that sense, our plans for SWDS are kind of lining up w/ a lot of what you guys have done! Funny thing, I read your article for the DIS RE: the cancelled half, but didn't put 2 and -13.1 together! I was following everything like crazy because I was completing my chEAR squad duties from North Dakota for @MommaoffherRocker . ;)
Glad to keep following along!

Fun fact from me: I've been totally slacking on comments because I thought for SURE I was way behind and the TR was done. WOOHOO it's not! But sorry for slacking on commenting on the awesomeness. I love the pictures, and great details! Your little sister is so stinkin cute! Same age range as my oldest DS and @MommaoffherRocker 's oldest DS too, so this has been completely relatable in that sense, our plans for SWDS are kind of lining up w/ a lot of what you guys have done! Funny thing, I read your article for the DIS RE: the cancelled half, but didn't put 2 and -13.1 together! I was following everything like crazy because I was completing my chEAR squad duties from North Dakota for @MommaoffherRocker . ;)
Glad to keep following along!
No worries! Thanks for catching back up.

Oh - finally getting caught up. When I heard the 1/2 was canceled I thought of you immediately. Looks like the full is going well so far. I just wondered though - you are carrying your phone in all your pictures. I would understand you are probably taking pictures some of the time, but did you have a pocket or a strap that you could attach it to? I would think carrying it for 26 miles would get rather old. (I would mostly be worried about it getting in the way while i was vomiting.)

Oh - finally getting caught up. When I heard the 1/2 was canceled I thought of you immediately. Looks like the full is going well so far. I just wondered though - you are carrying your phone in all your pictures. I would understand you are probably taking pictures some of the time, but did you have a pocket or a strap that you could attach it to? I would think carrying it for 26 miles would get rather old. (I would mostly be worried about it getting in the way while i was vomiting.)
I'm one of those crazy people who carries their phone the entire 26.2. I've thought about getting a belt to hold it but it's been okay holding it. I hold it during all of my training runs as well.

I'm one of those crazy people who carries their phone the entire 26.2. I've thought about getting a belt to hold it but it's been okay holding it. I hold it during all of my training runs as well.

I also would drop it at least 5 times...

Marathon Part 2

After mile 6 we head out of the Magic Kingdom via the backstage entrance to the left of Splash Mountain. Here they normally have one of the trains stopped for photo ops and as a train lover myself I had to stop for the photo. Some will lay down and act like they are getting run over by the train but no thanks...

As we entered backstage they had the Maleficent parade float set up for photo ops. That I did not stop for though due to the line. I did grab a quick photo in passing though. Also noticed that in the storage area next to this they had the Christmas parade floats sitting in there. That was cool to see since I have never seen that parade in person.

The Liberty Square Riverboat was under refurbishment this week and we could see it as we left the Magic Kingdom.

As you exit the Magic Kingdom you run by the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and one of the golf courses. This is also the area of the infamous cone alley. Sorry no pictures but there are literally hundreds and hundreds of cones set up.

They had the Mary Poppins penguins out by the GF, and then they had vacation Genie out by the golf course.

Then it was a whole lot of roads for a while. The next stop I made was for the best photo op they had out on the marathon course. Disney brought out a bunch of old ride vehicles. Far left- rocket rods, left- Snow White Scary Adventures, Behind me- THE FREAKIN NAUTILUS, to my right- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Far right- Skyway bucket. I don't know who the "character" they had with them was supposed to be but how cool is this stop!

They had the big bad wolf just after this stop but I didn't feel like stopping for him.

Mile 9!

And then the best smelling part of the entire race! The Waste Water Treatment plant! and mile 10!

After that we headed into this really long and weird out and back that I did not care for.

We then headed towards AK. But first I stopped for a character meet! This is also where I saw
@Ariel484 but of course I didn't say Hi... I wish I had.

Mile 12!

They had some interesting pieces out backstage at AK. I am not sure what they are for.

Hello beautiful!

What mile 13?! Halfway people!

So then I did this thing where I road a rollercoaster in the middle of a marathon! I got to AK at the perfect time. It was about 9:05 so the park just opened and thats when they open Everest. The standby line was getting long but single rider was basically a walk on so thats where I went!

We then head out behind Everest and come out into the Animal Kingdom parking lot/entrance area.

Mile 14 is where I will stop for now...

Up Next: Part 3

Last edited:
I think the old ride vehicles probably would have been my favorite part. It's possible I would have stopped to take approximately 1,000 pictures and used up all of my phone storage. That really has to be the coolest thing ever!

I love that you rode Everest mid-race (and it looks like there were plenty of other runners on there with you :)). That's one of those things that I could never imagine doing ... even though I know plenty of people do it, the idea just seems kinda crazy (but in a fun way)

I think the old ride vehicles probably would have been my favorite part. It's possible I would have stopped to take approximately 1,000 pictures and used up all of my phone storage. That really has to be the coolest thing ever!

I love that you rode Everest mid-race (and it looks like there were plenty of other runners on there with you :)). That's one of those things that I could never imagine doing ... even though I know plenty of people do it, the idea just seems kinda crazy (but in a fun way)
It was so cool!

I thought it was crazy to and I hesitated for a minute but then I was like what the heck you only live once right?

I was away and got behind but love all the updates! I always enjoy hearing about the characters out during the marathons but I think having the old ride vehicles out is the best. A sky bucket? Brings back so many memories for me!
My favorite resorts are AKL and WL, with WL having a slight edge so I'm glad you finally got to see it. Maybe it seems darker when the Xmas decorations are up b/c normally I don't think it's that dark? AKL lobby is gorgeous though, it's a tough choice to pick a favorite!

I was away and got behind but love all the updates! I always enjoy hearing about the characters out during the marathons but I think having the old ride vehicles out is the best. A sky bucket? Brings back so many memories for me!
My favorite resorts are AKL and WL, with WL having a slight edge so I'm glad you finally got to see it. Maybe it seems darker when the Xmas decorations are up b/c normally I don't think it's that dark? AKL lobby is gorgeous though, it's a tough choice to pick a favorite!
I never experienced any of those old rides but it was so cool to see them.

I think I'd have to go back and get another look at WL.

I think AK is just the best park to run in! I love that the timing worked out for you ride EE. What an awesome memory. It does seem like miles 9-AK are pretty dull, but hey you got to travel between the parks somehow! Seems like an awesome marathon so far.

I think AK is just the best park to run in! I love that the timing worked out for you ride EE. What an awesome memory. It does seem like miles 9-AK are pretty dull, but hey you got to travel between the parks somehow! Seems like an awesome marathon so far.
I loved running in AK! I think if I was any later to AK I probably wouldn't have rode. It was perfect timing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter