• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Griswold Family Moments at Disney

AtlantaDisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
I thought it might be informative for other guests to admit and explain those times that something went terribly wrong with our Disney vacation planning.

In spite of all of my meticulous research and planning, we still managed to have a Griswold Family Moment (remember Vacation?) on our most recent trip.

We had an 8:10 am pre-park opening breakfast at BOG, and I was determined not to miss it. After reading many threads and starting a couple of my own on the topic here, I decided not to chance it with Disney transportation from our resort (POFQ). We could control our arrival time if we drove rather than chance being late due to a Disney bus running behind (I have been at a bus stop in the morning where people missed an early breakfast because they waited nearly an hour for a bus to arrive).

Now understand that I had been talking up my planning genius for months with my family- I am the Disney Guru (according to me). So on our BOG breakfast day, I woke up everyone at 6 am cheering, "It's a big day at the MK!" and finally managed to get everyone up and ready. I talked up the breakfast and the fact that we could get into the park early and get to ride SDMT with no wait and wasn't I so smart for knowing this? So we piled into the car and drove to the TTC. We were the third car in the parking lot at 7 am. Woohoo! We climbed out of the car and packed the stroller and got the kids together and happily walked to the TTC. And up to the monorail. With a sign that said that service would begin at 8:30. :(

No one was around, save for a few CMs who seemed to be getting ready to start their day. We saw a CM standing near the ferry boat. We walked over. He said, "Ferry service doesn't run until 8:30." I said, "So, how do we get to MK for our pre-park opening breakfast?" He said, "I don't know anything about that. Maybe they are running buses." Aha! So we have to take a bus.

We walked back over to the bus information area. We asked a bus driver where we go for service to MK. He informed us that no buses were taking guests to the MK yet and they won't until at least 8 am. I asked him how we were supposed to get to a pre-park breakfast. He said people take buses from their resorts. I asked him how people who are not staying on-property are supposed to get to pre-park opening breakfasts. He just shrugged. He said he would ask someone else and walked off. We saw him asking several CMs and everyone seemed as if they had never heard of such a thing as leaving from the TTC for a pre-park breakfast. (Sorry, folks! We are closed for two weeks to clean and repair America's favorite family fun park.)

So there we were, this lone family standing at the quiet TTC in the wee small hours of the morning, looking lost and completely uninformed. Total Griswold vacation moment. At this point, my husband had lost all faith in my Disney planning genius and began in good humor to poke fun at my less-than-apt planning for the morning. :guilty:

The bus driver returned and kindly offered to get us to MK one way or another. He flagged down a white Disney van, and soon the van drove over to us and offered us private transportation to MK. The van driver told us that Disney would do just about anything to help out their guests. That certainly seemed to be the case that morning. Our breakfast and our day (and TWO rides on SDMT without a wait) were saved by the kindness and pity of a Disney bus driver.

And I still don't know how people who drive to the parks are supposed to get to a pre-park opening breakfast.

So what are your Griswold family moments??? Anyone?

Not a Griswold moment, but we had 2 early ( 1 super early) tours 2 weeks ago and were staying at Wilderness Lodge. They run a bus that comes by at 6:45 every morning. Watching the sun rise over the MK entrance was amazing, and the day we took the Steam Trains tour we were the first people in the park. Saw a pickup truck parked on Main Street, no pictures allowed of that, of course.

HAHA! I love the Griswolds!:) I can't remember any Griswold moment's from our last 2 trips, but I'm sure there must be some! You did just save us from the same Griswold moment you just had. We were planning to drive to Mk for our pre-park opening at BOG, but now I think we'll take the bus.:thanks:

Not a Griswold moment, but we had 2 early ( 1 super early) tours 2 weeks ago and were staying at Wilderness Lodge. They run a bus that comes by at 6:45 every morning. Watching the sun rise over the MK entrance was amazing, and the day we took the Steam Trains tour we were the first people in the park. Saw a pickup truck parked on Main Street, no pictures allowed of that, of course.

I just love the early mornings in the parks. In spite of our little blip, everyone in my family agreed that doing a pre-park opening MK breakfast is pretty special. We would do it again. But next time we will take the bus.

Our last trip I had arranged to meet a friend; was anxious to introduce him to DH and spend the day together in the MK. He had to drive from West Palm Beach and we'd agreed to meet at the MK...but we got a late start that morning (we were there with DGD's soccer team :faint:) so I asked him to meet us at CB and we'd bus over to the MK. DH and I headed to the bus stop; Ed drove by and honked as we arrived and went to park his car. He walked up and I was making introductions and telling him I was excited for him to get to know my family...talking away when DH interrupts with..."aren't we suppose to catch the bus?" as the MK bus is driving away! :faint: I'd just "messed up" our morning plans :rolleyes: and got "eye rolls" from both of them. :o Worked out well though...we drove Ed's car over and before parking he took us "back stage" to see the monorail barn, Disney University, holiday storage warehouse, CM apartments, etc. Very interesting "tour" of the places that "make the magic"! (and I LOVE Christmas Vacation! Always the first "movie of the season" that I watch!) :tink:

I just love the early mornings in the parks. In spite of our little blip, everyone in my family agreed that doing a pre-park opening MK breakfast is pretty special. We would do it again. But next time we will take the bus.

I'm glad the bus driver got a van over to help you!! Just know, for the future, you could have walked over to the Poly and taken the monorail as well!

I'm glad the bus driver got a van over to help you!! Just know, for the future, you could have walked over to the Poly and taken the monorail as well!

No need to walk to the Poly to get on the resort monorail.
All monorails stop and pick up/drop off guests at the TTC.
-----------------------
There are three separate monorail routes (with multiple trains running on each route).
On each route, the trains will "loop" around and around on their own unique track.

1) "Epcot Monorail" TTC > Epcot > TTC > (loop runs clockwise)
2) "MK Express Monorail" TTC > MK > TTC > (loop runs counter-clockwise)
3) "Resort Monorail" TTC > Poly > Grand Floridian > MK > Contemp. > TTC > (loop runs clockwise)

As you can see, you can transfer from or to any monorail at the TTC (which is also the MK parking lot.)

You may ride any and all of these, if you like.

They do not "let you out" INSIDE any theme-park,
so you don't need a park ticket.

"Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas."

During our first family trip in 2012, we went back to the room for a nap after fighting a full day of torrential rain, which we were told 'never happens', well hardly ever, by many locals and CMs. We were all happily snoozing away when I awoke with a start. I checked the time and realized that we overslept for our Wishes Dessert Party because of Daylight Savings Time! Needless to say, we ran through the park and fought through the fireworks crowd in a panic, with a double stroller...Will never make that mistake again!

Can't you walk from the TTC too? I could have sworn we did this one trip when we drove because we were parked so close and we walked under a road (kind of a small tunnel).

Can't you walk from the TTC too? I could have sworn we did this one trip when we drove because we were parked so close and we walked under a road (kind of a small tunnel).

What you're describing is the TTC. From there you can take either the monorail or ferry.

You can walk from your car to the TTC (yes, you walk under a road bridge.)
You can walk from the TTC to your car.

You cannot walk from the TTC to the Magic Kingdom.
You cannot walk from the Magic Kingdom to the TTC.

MK-Area-2Lakes-5Resorts.jpg

We took the kids to MK for a day when were visiting my parents in Orlando. We stayed until the fireworks and bought DD, who was 2 at the time, one of those spinner toys that light up. By the end of the night, she was beat. I put her on my back for the walk to the parking lot, spinner spinning the whole time. She held it up near my head and it got caught in my long hair. It wrapped around that thing and got tangled down to the root. I was trying to get free of it with DD on my back who wouldn't let go of the spinner. DH finally got her down and separated the spinner from her hand. It took me about an hour to get that thing out of my hair.

No need to walk to the Poly to get on the resort monorail.
All monorails stop and pick up/drop off guests at the TTC.
-----------------------
There are three separate monorail routes (with multiple trains running on each route).
On each route, the trains will "loop" around and around on their own unique track.

1) "Epcot Monorail" TTC > Epcot > TTC > (loop runs clockwise)
2) "MK Express Monorail" TTC > MK > TTC > (loop runs counter-clockwise)
3) "Resort Monorail" TTC > Poly > Grand Floridian > MK > Contemp. > TTC > (loop runs clockwise)

As you can see, you can transfer from or to any monorail at the TTC (which is also the MK parking lot.)

You may ride any and all of these, if you like.

They do not "let you out" INSIDE any theme-park,
so you don't need a park ticket.

"Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas."

What time do they start doing this? Every monorail entrance we saw had a rope across it, and no CM at the TTC suggested that we take any monorail. We were there until 7:15 or so and saw no running monorails.

I guess the ferry captain and the bus drivers just know their part and didn't think to suggest walking to the Poly or taking the resort monorail.

I know the resort monorails go to the TTC. We took one back when we left the park. But everything was very quiet when we were there at 7 am.

We took the kids to MK for a day when were visiting my parents in Orlando. We stayed until the fireworks and bought DD, who was 2 at the time, one of those spinner toys that light up. By the end of the night, she was beat. I put her on my back for the walk to the parking lot, spinner spinning the whole time. She held it up near my head and it got caught in my long hair. It wrapped around that thing and got tangled down to the root. I was trying to get free of it with DD on my back who wouldn't let go of the spinner. DH finally got her down and separated the spinner from her hand. It took me about an hour to get that thing out of my hair.

Oh my! One of those things you can laugh about now, but it must have been awful at the time.

You can walk from your car to the TTC (yes, you walk under a road bridge.)
You can walk from the TTC to your car.

You cannot walk from the TTC to the Magic Kingdom.
You cannot walk from the Magic Kingdom to the TTC.

MK-Area-2Lakes-5Resorts.jpg

Thanks for the map! Very informative. I didn't realize how close we were to the Poly.

I knew there had to be a way to get to MK from TTC that early- surely we weren't the only ones who had every tried that. I was just surprised that none of the bus drivers had any idea how one might get to the MK at that hour.

During our first family trip in 2012, we went back to the room for a nap after fighting a full day of torrential rain, which we were told 'never happens', well hardly ever, by many locals and CMs. We were all happily snoozing away when I awoke with a start. I checked the time and realized that we overslept for our Wishes Dessert Party because of Daylight Savings Time! Needless to say, we ran through the park and fought through the fireworks crowd in a panic, with a double stroller...Will never make that mistake again!

it may seem silly, but anytime we decide to snooze at disney, I make a quick call for a wake up call.even in the middle of the day it's an automated system. so if you need to be up by, say 5pm for your dessert party, the phone will ring at 5pm (no matter what it says on your watch lol!)

one year I just left my watch on chicago time cause I couldn't find the manual. so I was an hour off the entire trip.. BUT! for some reason my watch was 8 minutes off. so I was an hour, minus 8 minutes off. (yes, I know that's 52 minutes)

people would see I was wearing a watch and ask "do you know what time it is?" and I would look at it, think for a bit, and say "no! I really don't!" lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter