• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Griswold Family Moments at Disney

We had a Griswold moment on a trip back in May. Luckily, it worked out well in the end though. We were fortunate enough to get FP+ for A&E (my twin DDs5) favorite princesses on our 1st MK day, but it wasn't until later at night around 9. We planned to see C&R at rope drop, and one had on a Cinderella costume and one a Rapunzel costume. We had planned to go back to the resort midday and they wanted to change into their Anna and Elsa costumes for the evening when they were going to meet them. So anyway, at rope drop we head straight to Fairytale hall and get in line. We wait for about 20 minutes and then we are at the front of the line. Just before we are ready to go in, a family behind us starts saying they are glad the wait for A&E wasn't too bad. After a moment of stunned silence, I ask if this isn't the line for C&R. They say no, it's A&E, which the CM in front of us confirms. The CM does ask if we would like to visit C&R instead since my girls are standing there dressed like Cinderella and Rapunzel. But I quickly tell her no since we are at the front of the line and we hurriedly take off their costumes. Luckily, they were wearing frozen shirts under their costumes. So, they got to meet A&E, then they put their costumes back on and met C&R with only about 15 min wait. We were able to change our FP+ for another attraction later in the day. So it all worked out well for us, but after all my planning and arranging FP+, messing up on our first attraction of the day left us a little behind for the rest of the morning. But we still had a great day. And hopefully another family was happy to get the A&E FP+ we changed.

I mentioned to DH that I'd never seen the morning ceremony before rope drop at the Magic Kingdom, and would like to see it sometime. We aren't rope drop people. Our last trip, he decided he was going to make it happen! We woke up WAAAAY early, made it to TTC and got parked close enough to walk over to catch transportation. Had enough time to make it to MK no matter how we had to go. And got promptly stopped. Turns out it was Thursday, and we were staying offsite (MK early entry day). Wa-wa-wah. :rolleyes1

Don't know if this really counts as a Griswold moment but it certainly is a pretty darn funny moment. We were on the Jungle Cruise sitting on one of those benches in the middle. At the outside right across from us was a couple from Brazil. The lady kept holding her iPad out over the railing to take pictures. Her husband kept on telling her not to do that. The skipper in his funny mood kept on saying to please hang on tight to all lose objects and not hold them over the railing. Well, iPad lady wouldn't have it. Her husband was trying to pull her hand inside, she kept on shoving the iPad back out.... I kept thinking, if this dang thing is going to fall into the water, I'll just burst out of laughing. Lo and behold, up comes the point when the skipper shoots the crocs (or was it the hippos?? Whatever...). iPad lady got so startled by that she - guess what - dropped the iPad into the water! Before I could burst out laughing, a little boy behind me stood up, threw his arms in the air and yelled "Bazinga!" The whole boat burst out in laughter - except for iPad lady who got an earful from her husband. When we got off the boat, everyone gave the little boy a high five for his bazinga moment LOL While walking away, I saw the iPad couple starting an argument with the skipper but they were quickly taken away by another CM. Let me say, this incident was one of the hightlights of our trip!

Went to WDW last week. My boys favorite "ride" in any park they've ever visited is Summit Plummet at Blizzard Beach. So in planning this last trip, I obviously got the "+ waterpark" tickets added to our theme park tickets. We planned on going to BB twice during our week stay. All of my research indicated both water parks would be open and no ride closures were listed for them. So on Tuesday, our 2nd park day, we pull into the parking lot, the boys see the tall ski jump in the distance and all start buzzing with excitement. We go thru the turnstiles and take 2 steps into the park and see a sign that says Summit Plummet and Slush Gusher are "temporarily closed". The kids are like "what?", and I'm like, well it just says temporarily, maybe it will reopen in the afternoon. I asked a CM that was nearby and was informed that it would be closed all day. My husband kept asking the CM why the moose out front didn't tell us. Come to find out, Summit Plummet was never reopened the entire week we were there and won't until after it's 2 month refurbishment in January.....sad kids.

Last time I stayed at POFQ I had an interesting night. We had 2 rooms so my dh and ds was in a different room than me and dds. Around midnight there was a pounding on my door. I ignored it at first, but then I heard a boy begging his mom to let him in. I looked out the door and a teen boy I did not know was there crying for his mom to let him in. I guess he got lost or something. I asked him if he wanted to use the phone, but he took off upset. I could not get back to sleep due to worrying about him.

Went to WDW last week. My boys favorite "ride" in any park they've ever visited is Summit Plummet at Blizzard Beach. So in planning this last trip, I obviously got the "+ waterpark" tickets added to our theme park tickets. We planned on going to BB twice during our week stay. All of my research indicated both water parks would be open and no ride closures were listed for them. So on Tuesday, our 2nd park day, we pull into the parking lot, the boys see the tall ski jump in the distance and all start buzzing with excitement. We go thru the turnstiles and take 2 steps into the park and see a sign that says Summit Plummet and Slush Gusher are "temporarily closed". The kids are like "what?", and I'm like, well it just says temporarily, maybe it will reopen in the afternoon. I asked a CM that was nearby and was informed that it would be closed all day. My husband kept asking the CM why the moose out front didn't tell us. Come to find out, Summit Plummet was never reopened the entire week we were there and won't until after it's 2 month refurbishment in January.....sad kids.

I could have written this. But my boys have never been on the Summit Plummet and we're looking forward to it. We picked Blizzard Beach just for that reason. We went last week too and I thought my boys where going to cry when they saw the sign. The CM told me it was a plumbing problem that they could not get to and would have to be fixed during the shut down. We still had a great time and the park was mostly empty so we walked onto every ride, but I might have picked the other water park if I have know.

Don't know if this really counts as a Griswold moment but it certainly is a pretty darn funny moment. We were on the Jungle Cruise sitting on one of those benches in the middle. At the outside right across from us was a couple from Brazil. The lady kept holding her iPad out over the railing to take pictures. Her husband kept on telling her not to do that. The skipper in his funny mood kept on saying to please hang on tight to all lose objects and not hold them over the railing. Well, iPad lady wouldn't have it. Her husband was trying to pull her hand inside, she kept on shoving the iPad back out.... I kept thinking, if this dang thing is going to fall into the water, I'll just burst out of laughing. Lo and behold, up comes the point when the skipper shoots the crocs (or was it the hippos?? Whatever...). iPad lady got so startled by that she - guess what - dropped the iPad into the water! Before I could burst out laughing, a little boy behind me stood up, threw his arms in the air and yelled "Bazinga!" The whole boat burst out in laughter - except for iPad lady who got an earful from her husband. When we got off the boat, everyone gave the little boy a high five for his bazinga moment LOL While walking away, I saw the iPad couple starting an argument with the skipper but they were quickly taken away by another CM. Let me say, this incident was one of the hightlights of our trip!

:rotfl2: I just knew, as soon as I read "couple from Brazil" that they'd be having a "Griswold moment" and it would involve "not listening or following instructions"! :rotfl2: I don't mean to "group people" but it seems like they never listen! :rolleyes: :tink:

Last summer I had booked Tusker House breakfast the morning after our Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise. Realizing in the afternoon that the 8:15 time would be too early I was able to change it to a 9:30 breakfast (in July when character meals were easy to change on the fly last minute!). Needless to say, we still overslept. I woke up in a panic and due to my yelling got everyone moving. We made it down to the bus and I had it in my head that I changed it to 9:45 so as we're driving I was thinking we wouldn't be too bad until DH reminded me, throwing me into another panic thinking about the no show fee. We got off the bus and ran up to the bag check - of course I got stuck in the slowest line while DH & the kids went through the no bag line. I tried telling them to go ahead but DH said we would just all go together so after I finally made it through we ran through the park (DH pushing DS4 in the stroller - hoping he wouldn't flip out! and me and DD6 running!) DD wanted to stop and see something and I just kept yelling go go go! People looked at us like we were crazy as I was saying no time to look - move it! We ran up to the check out after 10:00! Luckily they let us keep the ressie and we were actually sat right away - as we all walked in out of breath!

About 4 years ago, me, DD, DS, DDIL took the 3 grand babies to WDW. We stayed in 2 rooms at POP.
DD and I made a deal with DS and DDIL that we'd each take a night with the kids so the others could have a night out. The babies were 2y/o, 11 mos and 7 mos. Only the 2y/o could walk.
DS and DDIL stayed at the resort with the kids on their night. They played in the splash pool and took it easy. DD and I weren't having that. We loaded up the kids and 2 strollers and headed to the MK. We had fun, but the 2y/o got tired of walking, so we had to take turns trying to carry a baby and push a stroller, doable, but not easy. But, unfortunately , that wasn't the worst part!
We were heading back to the resort, and I saw the POP bus loading. We RAN to the bus and managed to get on. I was sitting with the 2y/o and holding the 2 strollers and the baby bag with diapers, bottles and such. DD was holding the 2 babies. They were crying and clawing and trying to bite each other as she tried to comfort them while keeping them as far apart from each other as possible. It was awful! I don't know why they were after each other, I guess they were just tired and cranky.
As we are riding along, in the very packed bus, the lady next to me asked which stop we get off at. I'm sure she was ready to be away from us! Anyway, I asked her what she meant since there is only one bus stop. She said, no, there are 5. I said no, only 1 at POP. She then informed me that we were on the bus to CBR!!! I leaned across the aisle and told my daughter that we were on the wrong bus, and if looks could kill, I'd be dead!,lol!
So, we rode the bus back to the MK, and switched to the correct bus. I think it took us a little over 2 hours to get back to our rooms. Luckily, the babies settled down and slept for the majority of the trip!
But, I'll never forget the look on DD's face as she held 2 screaming,fighting babies and realized we were on the wrong bus!!!!LOL

About 4 years ago, me, DD, DS, DDIL took the 3 grand babies to WDW. We stayed in 2 rooms at POP.
DD and I made a deal with DS and DDIL that we'd each take a night with the kids so the others could have a night out. The babies were 2y/o, 11 mos and 7 mos. Only the 2y/o could walk.
DS and DDIL stayed at the resort with the kids on their night. They played in the splash pool and took it easy. DD and I weren't having that. We loaded up the kids and 2 strollers and headed to the MK. We had fun, but the 2y/o got tired of walking, so we had to take turns trying to carry a baby and push a stroller, doable, but not easy. But, unfortunately , that wasn't the worst part!
We were heading back to the resort, and I saw the POP bus loading. We RAN to the bus and managed to get on. I was sitting with the 2y/o and holding the 2 strollers and the baby bag with diapers, bottles and such. DD was holding the 2 babies. They were crying and clawing and trying to bite each other as she tried to comfort them while keeping them as far apart from each other as possible. It was awful! I don't know why they were after each other, I guess they were just tired and cranky.
As we are riding along, in the very packed bus, the lady next to me asked which stop we get off at. I'm sure she was ready to be away from us! Anyway, I asked her what she meant since there is only one bus stop. She said, no, there are 5. I said no, only 1 at POP. She then informed me that we were on the bus to CBR!!! I leaned across the aisle and told my daughter that we were on the wrong bus, and if looks could kill, I'd be dead!,lol!
So, we rode the bus back to the MK, and switched to the correct bus. I think it took us a little over 2 hours to get back to our rooms. Luckily, the babies settled down and slept for the majority of the trip!
But, I'll never forget the look on DD's face as she held 2 screaming,fighting babies and realized we were on the wrong bus!!!!LOL

:scared: Not a good moment when you realize you're on the wrong bus! I'm so sorry that happened but smiled because I've done the same thing...only I was alone! :o :tink:

Our Griswold moment began before we left home. I had made our DVC reservations using almost all our points for a week. We had gone back and forth about leaving on Sunday or Monday, but had made our decision and were able to book the room. Then I made our airline ticket reservations and a few days later started working on plans for which days we would spend in which parks. That's when I realized that our airline tickets were for the day before our hotel reservation. How could I admit that the self-appointed Disney super planner got the dates mixed up? I had to tell my DH which was humiliating enough. I just told the kids we were getting to stay an extra day... They still don't understand why we had to spend the first night of our vacation at a different hotel...

I kind of have an ongoing one for our trip coming up, though thanks to these boards and other resources hopefully the issues won't be sad surprises in the parks. So we haven't been in two years and we planned to do lots of things we never did before, that the kids are old enough for now, etc. Some of the thigns are...
Ride the railroad (my son was so excited when I told him about it)
Learn to draw at HS animation academy (my daughter was so happy)
I wanted my fav cupcake, the elephant one at AK.
Then I got excited to surprise my kids with the poop balls at AK.
(Do you see a pattern yet?)
We were so ready for Jedi academy we made outfits, planned the day around it...(sigh)
Meeting stitch is the number one character on my sons list! No need for an ADR, he meets in the park!
Riding primeval whirl was on my list of new rides
Watching flights of wonder will be fun!

So.....I am glad I know ahead of time that we have to change our pkans, but it's sad. The kids balled about Jedi, they were so excited to fight their favorite Darth Vader. There are no Ohana ADRs left that we can take advantage of, so hoping to find stitch in the dance party or somehting. I suppose I can say that the DIS helped me avoid it being a true Griswold moment and hopefully we won't have sadness in the parks.

My Griswold IT moment from our recent trip. On the first day of our trip, we had FP+ for SM, JC, and SDMT - very excited for our first experience on the latter. SM was down and, being new to FP+, I didn't realize that our FP would be good for any ride, anytime, or whenever SM reopened. I rushed in a panic to reschedule FP and made the mistake of canceling all of our FP for that day, with no hope of recovering the SDMT. We luckily had a few other chances to ride it that week, but my Disney planning mojo took a hit that day!

One trip many years ago, while having dinner at the Top of the World at the Contemporary, I learned that the bank had made a mistake and our travelers cheques were in the wrong currency. They were about as valuable as toilet paper.

Years ago when DS was 7 we were leaving Epcot and it started pouring. We tried to get on a tram that was very full and there were only two seats left so DH being the gentleman put me and DS on the tram and started running towards the car. When the tram finally got near our car I see DH standing in the pouring rain soaked. I had the car keys in my pocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter