• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grilling Question

chellt

Mouseketeer
I would like to get a charcoal grill. I live in a triplex, and do not have any outside storage. I am worried about safely storing lighter fluid. I could store it with the charcoal in a plastic bin on my porch or in my laundry room. Is it safe to store inside? Safe to store outside in the heat? My be silly questions to some, but I've never used it and want to be safe!
:confused3

The best thing to do is get one of these. NO fluid needed, 2 sheets of newspaper will start your charcoal.

chimney.jpg

I would like to get a charcoal grill. I live in a triplex, and do not have any outside storage. I am worried about safely storing lighter fluid. I could store it with the charcoal in a plastic bin on my porch or in my laundry room. Is it safe to store inside? Safe to store outside in the heat? My be silly questions to some, but I've never used it and want to be safe!
:confused3

Lighter fluid is safe to store inside as long as you don't store it next to heat, flame, or electrical sources. That said, you could use fire sticks. They are available at most sporting goods and outdoor stores.

We don't use fluid, we just buy the ready to light charcoal. It lights better and burns better.

Think about it: You're going to buy that lighter fluid from a grocery store or discount store. It's going to be indoors. If it were unsafe, they would not keep it in a place where customers /children will walk by.

My husband would tell you to use a chimney (what Squirlz posted) and never, ever, ever use lighter fluid, lol! He feels pretty strongly about it, think it ruins the taste of good grilled food. I will say a chimney isn't any trouble at all and works just as well.

Think about it: You're going to buy that lighter fluid from a grocery store or discount store. It's going to be indoors. If it were unsafe, they would not keep it in a place where customers /children will walk by.

I did think about it. Then I thought about the fact that it would not be stored in the open like at the store. But in a small closet, with a dryer and hot water heater. Or outside, in the direct Texas heat. I also googled it, and came up with a couple of precautions/warnings. Thus the questions. :)

That chimney contraption looks complicated. But I will check it out!

My concerns may seem silly to some, but since I am a foster parent CPS is constantly snooping around looking for "hazards." :confused3.

Didn't know they made such a thing! Will check it out - thanks!

That's even worse than lighter fluid. It will leave the taste in your food. And the bag smell like kerosene.

That chimney contraption looks complicated. But I will check it out!

Nothing complicated, you put your charcoal in the top and two pieces of crumpled newspaper in the bottom. Light and wait for the charcoal to ash over, then dump into the grill.

I was going to suggest storing it in the cabinet under your kitchen sink, because that's where I store mine and have never had a problem (I'm in the dfw area and I feel it gets too hot to keep it outside) but since you mentioned you do foster care, I'm not sure if that would be allowed or not. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable storing it near the dryer and water heater but I have no idea if that's safe or not. Is there a cabinet above your fridge? That night be a good spot?

Another option would be to get a medium size metal garbage can. You could store the charcoal and lighter fluid in it and safely leave it outside next to the grill. Having it outside should satisfy DCFS.

We usually use the instant light charcoal. We have a chimney starter but it's tricky. My husband avoids using it!

That's even worse than lighter fluid. It will leave the taste in your food. And the bag smell like kerosene.

Nothing complicated, you put your charcoal in the top and two pieces of crumpled newspaper in the bottom. Light and wait for the charcoal to ash over, then dump into the grill.

Not sure what you are buying, but no it doesn't.

There is no taste on the food, by the time the fire is right for cooking, it has all burned off and the bag doesn't smell like anything except charcoal.

Not sure what you are buying, but no it doesn't.

There is no taste on the food, by the time the fire is right for cooking, it has all burned off and the bag doesn't smell like anything except charcoal.

Kingsford Matchlight is what my experience is based on.

The best thing to do is get one of these. NO fluid needed, 2 sheets of newspaper will start your charcoal.

chimney.jpg

Use EXACTLY 2 sheets. More and it will smother itself and burn out. Less and the paper burns off before the charcoal lights. An electric starter is even better, but I use the chimney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter