Grandparent gifts (for Christmas or birthdays)

I detest those visa gift cards, DS got one from a certain relative all the years he was growing up, and they aren't always easy to use, the money disappears if they're not used fast enough, there's a fee to even buy them, etc, etc. I probably still have a few lying around that are now valueless :(

I agree with this 100%. I generally love gift cards, but not the Visa cards for all of the reasons stated by the PP.

Will have to re-think the Visa card idea because of what was posted that fees get taken out if it's not used in a certain amount of time.

I like the Omaha Steaks idea but I would have no idea if my inlaws have room in their fridge for an order. They have a side by side freezer so I am guessing there's not much room.

I guess we could give a restaurant gift card. That's probably a good idea so they don't have to cook one night.

I've sent Cheryl's Christmas cookies, a fresh fruit basket, a coffee of the month, and a high-end tea package, and they have always been very warmly received. If they don't need personal family items, stuff which gets "used up" and doesn't clutter is always best. And I don't send big packs - Cheryl's has 2 items sweet packs with a note that they ship for $10, I think.

I get my dad's photo calendar every year from Costco. They have good coupons. I got my mom a makeup bag with the kids' photo on it and a photo purse too. She was the envy of all the church ladies. I've gotten my dad some nice leather nonslip house shoes that he really likes and a nice robe for my mom. Restaurant delivery gift cards with a cute restaurant menu binder was a hit with my friends' parents. Last Christmas my sister gave my mom a Roku and set it up with her Netflix account as well as my Amazon Prime and Hulu+ accounts. My mom is tech clueless and can use it. You need wifi though. She's having surgery next month so I'm getting her a kindle as an early Christmas present.

I've sent Cheryl's Christmas cookies, a fresh fruit basket, a coffee of the month, and a high-end tea package, and they have always been very warmly received. If they don't need personal family items, stuff which gets "used up" and doesn't clutter is always best. And I don't send big packs - Cheryl's has 2 items sweet packs with a note that they ship for $10, I think.

Hi, the high end tea package sounds interesting :) can you share where you get it from? My inlaws love tea!!

We are sick of trying to figure this out every bday and holiday. Everyone has enough money that we all just buy what we want in that $50-100 range when we want it. We can all pay our own utilities etc.
So when we get together at Thanksgiving we are going to tell them all we no longer want to exchange gifts as adults, just the kiddos. I can't wait! No more stressing about this and giving/receiving gifts no one really wants/needs.

ShutterFly books are a big hit with us. Easy and tons of codes and discounts make this very low cost choices. My elderly in-laws likes sleepwear, gift cards for take out food or grocery stores and food of any kind. Mom loved greeting cards and stamps. movie tickets? Tickets to a play or theater? A movie themed basket with a couple good movies, candy and pop corn or snacks?

If they drive, gift certificate to a local cash wash could be a good option. I know a chain by us offers a package where you buy buy 5 washes or something like that.
For my Grandpa i usually buy him food. He eats out one meal a day and doesn't cook. I have done the restaurant gift cards, but he is already set in his budget with eating out so I figured that really don'ts do much for him. But he likes to snack so I will buy him different cookies and candies. Or, he does make toast in the morning so I will buy him an assortment of jellies. Sometimes gourmet ones. But sometimes just a variety of Smuckers. He doesn't really grocery shop, just runs into a local store to buy milk and basic staples (fruit, coffee and bread) so he doesn't really browse the jelly isle.
He also likes smoked fish to snack on, so I will sometimes buy him a smoked fish from Costco (it comes in a box not fresh).

Netflix subscription?

Last year I sent my in laws a nice basket from Harry & David's with a bottle of wine. Http://www.harryanddavid.com/

They loved it. The pears are so good. This is a local company to us.
One year I sent Wolfermans breakfast basket. It was well received. https://www.wolfermans.com/?flws_rd=1

Good luck! I have no idea what to do this year! Lol!

My mom gets Sees candy because she loves it and there isn't one close to her.

I always send lots of photo gifts over the year, calendars, school pics, sports pics etc.

I detest those visa gift cards, DS got one from a certain relative all the years he was growing up, and they aren't always easy to use, the money disappears if they're not used fast enough, there's a fee to even buy them, etc, etc. I probably still have a few lying around that are now valueless :(

Terri

I agree with this so much- I just dealt w/ 2 cards I had received as gifts this week---one had a $4.95 dormant fee per month if not used.:crazy:
(Plus....If you go over the gift card amt. when trying to use it-you have to make up the difference in cash first --just a real PITA).
I wouldn't burden my mom with that.:flower3:
I went to a store & bought store gift cards with them.
At least I won't lose any money with those.
(No expiration or fees).

Wondering what your ideas are to give as a gift under $50 total for both grandparents.

I was thinking of a photo mug but we've done that already. They don't hang up pictures so that's out.
They don't really have any hobbies or do anything other than go out to eat. I'm talking about grandparents who are in their early 70's but maybe the age doesn't matter for your ideas.

Your budget is $50 total for both sets of grandparents or one set of grandparents?

It doesn't really matter whether your budget is $25 or $50 a Restaurant Gift Certificate is the way to go with this age group.

My parents are 75 and they would prefer a Gift Certificate to a restaurant more than any other gift. They don't need more stuff.

It's easy, it's well received, and the restaurant will most likely mail it straight to them. Or they will send it to you first, then you can mail it in with a card. Try through conversation to find out what restaurant they enjoy in the area and then give that restaurant a call. I do this all the time, even for thank you gifts.

Easy peasy!

My mom loved her Christmas "care package" of food items. Fun stuff from the regular store or Trader Joes. Small packages of imported shortbread cookies. A can of soup, something like Butternut Squash soup, or Tomato Bisque.......a few mini candy bars, pouch of tuna, snack sized bag of cashews......almonds.....honey roasted peanuts, small bottle of hand sanitizer.
My mom spent the last 10 years of her life trying to throw out all the dust catcher gifts she got over the years. She didn't need any more of those, but food items she lover. Oh, and she loved an updated picture of the Grandkids, framed,not on a mug!

Do they enjoy tv and have cable/satellite? For my DSF, we called his provider and paid for him to have the next tier up for the following year. For my in-laws, who are in tough financial straits, we have called their utilities (electric, especially) and paid ahead for them (especially in the winter months. Is there a food delivery service nearby? We paid one to go to their favorite restaurant (which doesn't deliver) and bring their meal to them.

I've also contacted senior services in the area to ask what services are available that they might enjoy.

For this Christmas I'm buying them a digital photoframe that has its own email address, so as I take pix, I can send them right to the frame, and they can stay updated on whats going on in our lives :).

Best gift we can give any of them, though, is definitely our time. (IMHO)

Terri

I admit they can be a pain to use online sometimes but our bank issues them for free to account holders and our previous bank does also. I think it's only if you buy them at CVS, etc. that there's a fee to buy one. Ours never sit around long enough to expire. :goodvibes

I haven't had a grandfather since I was 12 but my grandmother just passed away yesterday at 99 :littleangel: and she still loved getting her nails done. She was the easiest person to buy for because we could get her a gift certificate to the nail salon that my mom takes her to.

We do a lot of gift cards (not Visa ones for same reasons mentioned above) but gift cards to restaurants they like. Last year, my daughter's school had a fundraiser where we could send in art work the kid made and they would make it into a key chain or mug. I thought that was a cool idea. That would probably only work for little kids unless you have a great artist. There might be a company online that does it. I did a mousepad of the kids last year on Shutterfly.

How about a gift certificate for them to have a portrait done? I gave this to my in-laws many, many years ago for Christmas. They never went and did it and then DFIL passed away and we were all lamenting not having a good picture of him in his later years. They might have fun dressing up a bit for a "couples portrait" and it would be a nice keepsake.

Even if they live somewhere that lawn care, etc, is done for them, they could probably still use a gift certificate to have windows washed, or floors scrubbed, or carpeting cleaned.... or how about auto detailing?

How about a nice selection of note cards, birthday cards, sympathy cards, etc along with some stamps and return address stickers? The older generation definitely still uses "snail mail"!

Maybe a " ______________ of-the-month" type of gift.... there are TONS to choose from! Last year I did a "seed of the month" for DDad, DH, and Dnephew... they all loved it. There is fruit of the month, chocolate of the month, beer of the month, snack of the month, Disney of the month, etc, etc, etc.

My DMIL was a great "giver" to others...... so one year we honored her at Christmas by spending our budget for her Christmas gift on a basket of grocery basics and donated them to the local food pantry "in her honor." She doesn't live particularly close to us, so I took a photo of my children with all of the groceries on the counter in front of them and then made her a copy of the letter I sent along with the groceries to the food pantry. She was touched.

Good luck...........P

A gc for a gas station might be something, too. My folks love those -- especially useful for their trips south every winter.

Harry and David pears or a 1/2 of a honey baked ham. With the ham, I usually check in advance if that's OK -- let them know that's what I am going to send, so they can let me know if that works with the large family gathering they are doing. // boring, sad perhaps, but overpriced food is used, doesn't clutter up the place, and some of these things are actually pretty tasty and appreciated.

I have done little table top Christmas trees and little gingerbread houses from catalogs too.

Your budget is $50 total for both sets of grandparents or one set of grandparents?

It doesn't really matter whether your budget is $25 or $50 a Restaurant Gift Certificate is the way to go with this age group.

My parents are 75 and they would prefer a Gift Certificate to a restaurant more than any other gift. They don't need more stuff.

It's easy, it's well received, and the restaurant will most likely mail it straight to them. Or they will send it to you first, then you can mail it in with a card. Try through conversation to find out what restaurant they enjoy in the area and then give that restaurant a call. I do this all the time, even for thank you gifts.

Easy peasy!
One set of grandparents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter