Grand Floridian at $200 a point?

I am a newer member, but I would think that the first year or so it wouldn't be hard to get a room because there is no way they are going to see out all the points for the rooms. Yes, purchasing GF points will get you first pick but are there going to be that many people who purchase the first couple of months.
As a new member you may not know how they introduce resorts/villas into the club. What they do is to take a given resort and declare a small piece at a time into the club, the rest remains out of the club and not available to any DVC members. In it's simplest form, it can be a given villa at a time. They do have to declare it for the entire year. Plus, that resort will be available for other members at 7 months out. Only recently they have given a short restricted access to owners at that resort initially only when a new resort opened reservations but that's about it. That does create a little excess but not much.

$200 would be an increase over current BLT prices that I would think (hope) is too excessive. We'll see.

What do we think about nightly point requirements? I'm thinking somewhere around BLT MK View/Grand Californian? I'm guessing there will be two views, the rooms facing the entrance/monorail and the lagoon/resort.

What do we think about nightly point requirements? I'm thinking somewhere around BLT MK View/Grand Californian? I'm guessing there will be two views, the rooms facing the entrance/monorail and the lagoon/resort.
I think it's safe to assume the same as BLT for comparable views.

no thanks!!!!! I'm a 7 month or less booker anyways. not to mention that every time a new resort opens up we can all get in after a year or two. count me out for GF at that price!

Won't happen. Marketing would know its a price point break that people would not go for. More likely 175 to 180.

DH and I just talked about how much points are going for now. We definately are not on board with paying close to $200. We haven't added on since 2002, although many times have considered it. I understand inflation and demand and all of that jazz but having paid around $65 a point 10 years ago makes me less inclined to pay so much more now. Like someone else said, if I can't get into the resort, oh well! It isn't worth that much to me. I am fine staying at BWV, OKW or SSR.

As a new member you may not know how they introduce resorts/villas into the club. What they do is to take a given resort and declare a small piece at a time into the club, the rest remains out of the club and not available to any DVC members. In it's simplest form, it can be a given villa at a time. They do have to declare it for the entire year. Plus, that resort will be available for other members at 7 months out. Only recently they have given a short restricted access to owners at that resort initially only when a new resort opened reservations but that's about it. That does create a little excess but not much.

Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense to me now.

DH and I were on board to buy GF, but at $200 a point, we will find and add on at BCV or WL. We will be priced out of that market

Wouldn't it make more sense for DVC to keep the price per point lower but raise the number of points needed for a specific room and view? An upfront high sticker price will certainly have more effect of keeping buyers away than an increase in necessary points for stays. This way, buyers purchase more points at a lower rate but end up needing or using more and may therefore need to add on to their contracts later on. OR...

Keep the buy in price high and take GFV out of the general DVC circulation or adjust the reservation windows making it a more exclusive resort.

Stephen

Wouldn't it make more sense for DVC to keep the price per point lower but raise the number of points needed for a specific room and view? An upfront high sticker price will certainly have more effect of keeping buyers away than an increase in necessary points for stays. This way, buyers purchase more points at a lower rate but end up needing or using more and may therefore need to add on to their contracts later on. OR...

Keep the buy in price high and take GFV out of the general DVC circulation or adjust the reservation windows making it a more exclusive resort.

Stephen
I'm personally glad that DVC hasn't generally participated in points creep by raising the points as a method of raising the cost. When timeshares that sell for almost free on ebay can still sell retail for big bucks, nothing much surprises me with timeshares.

think the price per point is what is needed to pay for the building. which is why it is popular with management - the building is paid for in a few years (or less).

pretty sure that GF will be higher point costs than BLT - except maybe the MK view. of course the views at GF are just not as good as the ones at BLT - so maybe they will be the same.

besides though the GF sales were more for the guest who stay at GF now - than current DVC members.

Actually the additional $$ paid is easily calculated and it's a difference you can never get back. It's like buying a car and paying the dealer markup price over MSRP. If one buys retail you simply paid more than you could have and you get benefits that one can define and currently add no value to the membership. Current the price difference is dramatic and the benefits that are lost do not increase the value of what one owns. It is not reasonable to buy extra points to use for the lost options, even if one buys retail, one should not buy extra points for the other options if you want the best long term dollar value/savings.

That all depends on how you calculate your value .

I guess that if they raised the points and not the price . That it would also be an issue cause they would need to open more of the resort to dvc only rooms .

That all depends on how you calculate your value .
The posts were related to a cost question, not a value question. Therefore the buy in price difference is easy to calculate with only minor variability and it's a very simple process. The beauty of this question is that none of the other value issues play into the question. It is simply the retail price compared to an assumption of a resale price and closing costs. One can then compare the price difference and make a judgement as to what one gets and does not get retail for that difference. BTW, the number for most situations is roughly 50% up to 60% of the retail price. Very small packages can be exceptions now that DVC allows smaller buy ins for new buyers.

I guess that if they raised the points and not the price . That it would also be an issue cause they would need to open more of the resort to dvc only rooms .
I'm not sure I follow you. I think your saying that if the points per room are higher they have to include more villas in the club, possibly from the current resort. If so, that is not the case. Since they haven't set the points yet (at least legally) the points table will be what they decide and the villas and points per each villa will set the total number of points they have to sell. Compared to BWV where they changed the points after sales started and thus reduced the number of potential points to sell.

Compared to BWV where they changed the points after sales started and thus reduced the number of potential points to sell.

they are also doing this at BLT - changing some MK views to standard views - so BLT has higher MK views points in 2013.

now they are not making a new view like BWV - but they are changing villas.

they are also doing this at BLT - changing some MK views to standard views - so BLT has higher MK views points in 2013.

now they are not making a new view like BWV - but they are changing villas.
For AKV and BLT my understanding was it was imply reallocating them. For BWV they actually incorporated the change into the sales process and simply sold less points. There are some that believe this was a planned move and built into the planned release from the onset but regardless it's a different situation than the reallocations based on change of some rooms at AKV and BLT as I understand it.

Won't happen. Marketing would know its a price point break that people would not go for. More likely 175 to 180.

except that Marketing would have very little to do with setting a price point. The job of the marketing department is to communicate the offer and its' value to the public, not establishing price points.

Whatever price they decide on, it will be the job of the marketing department to sell the value. If they cannot, the price might be revisited.

As for how they set the price, who knows. I'm sure they have a mechanism in place to back off price points that are too high in a judicious fashion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter