Grand Floridian at $200 a point?

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by wrigleyville, Sep 14, 2012.

1. wrigleyville

wrigleyville Earning My Ears

I talked to my guide today after watching the Savanna webcast and inquired about timing on GFV sales. Guide indicated that it was unclear, likely in Spring, although "DVC seems to be trying to get AKV sold first" and that "GFV is going to start around $200." Not sure if this was just an attempt to get me to jump on the AKV offer, but figure I'd share it with the group.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dvcterry

dvcterry DIS Veteran

Mine said $185. thanks for sharing

4. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Just wait a while. After the founders sell out, and the buying rush is over, they will offer limited time discounts and perks. Maybe a *free Disney cruise, *free points, *free developer points, *free lifetime points.

*free isn't really free.

:earsboy: Bill

5. JimMIA

JimMIA A little Miami humor...

AKV seems to be selling, and clearing ROFR, for less than $60 per point on the resale market.

Two ways to use this info:
    • It tells you how much you can save buying resale
    • It tells you how much you have lost the day you close buying direct

6. Dean

Dean DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis

I think both of those number are unlikely to start. I'd expect one increase of BLT prior then GF top start at the same price with an increase within a few months after GF starts selling.

7. ericamcl

ericamcl DIS Veteran

if they are that high there is no way we will add on there....I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good "deal" if you add on as soon as it goes on sale..

8. dclpluto

dclpluto Mouseketeer

I will just get there on the 7 month window. If i can never get in oh well i guess i will live

9. DVC Jen

DVC Jen DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>Wigs out even the

:thumbsup2

That is exactly how I feel. No way do I feel any DVC is worth 200.00 per point. They would have to start maintaining those buildings a heck of a lot better than they do know for me to feel it is justified.

10. CaliforniaDreaming

CaliforniaDreaming #1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

We won't be buying at $200 per point, I'd just wait for the resales to start (I have a feeling there will be quite a few a year or so after opening). Otherwise, we'll probably try to find a small (100-150) BWV or VWL resale.

11. BWV Dreamin

BWV Dreamin DIS Veteran

Just makes me really appreciate my VWL resale at $52/pt. if I can never stay anywhere else that is fine. With the price of tickets, food, etc. just not gonna pay that price. I'll rent first.

12. luckyman_apd

luckyman_apd DIS Veteran

Yes. This ^. I'm SURE availability will be tight at the 7 month window for a LONG time. Everyone will want to try it. Shoot, I'm no different. I will make my 11 month Reservation, and at 7 months, see what happens. No way I would EVER pay that much. I balked at paying direct for BLT. There will be plenty of those NOT in the system not who travel and stay at GF that will probably choose to buy in at that time. I've never been one to stay at any resort higher than a moderate when traveling to WDW, I'm certainly not going to pay more now for a new DVC resort.

13. webcs

webcs Mouseketeer

Honestly I can't see how anyone can justify 200 per point unless the owners could book with exclusive rights. That's crazy steep.

14. cruiseletters

cruiseletters Mouseketeer

ouch that's gotten a little to expensive for me.

15. WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Bingo.

16. dianeschlicht

dianeschlicht <font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon

Count me out. I have never wanted to stay at BLT, and have no desire to stay at GFV either. They could sell it for $100 a point, and I wouldn't bite. Heck, they could sell those two for $60 a point, and I'd pass. I'd gladly get a discounted price on AKV though in that range.:thumbsup2

17. Dziactor

Dziactor Mouseketeer

That's just crazy priced. I can't believe what the prices are getting up to.

18. DMKEDM

DMKEDM DIS Veteran

We're in transition mode here...DS is out of school and in the work world, meaning no more Mom-decided vacation times built around school breaks...so I don't currently know whether I have too many, too few, or just enough points...

But if I did, I'd be VERY tempted by GFV...I agree that $200/point is high--but so is $130/point as compared to the $86/point (purchased direct) I paid for SSR only 6 years ago...

I know resale can save substantial money--but for GFV it will be several years before resales kick in at a price that is substantially lower than the direct price--I'm not sure I'd want to wait that long...and as I've told my friends and family for years and years (including pre-DVC), I don't go to Disney to save money. I go to Disney, at whatever the price of the trip is, because to me the trip is worth the cost. That's how I feel about the possibility of owning at GFV...

I've wanted to stay at the GF for decades now, and have never yet hit a confluence of available time and money ... and now that I'm DVC I find I resist the idea of any kind of non-DVC stay. I had a trip two years ago where I did 4 business days thru a CRO reservation combined with five DVC nights...there's a real difference in "the feel" of staying CRO vs DVC...at least for me.

So, I'm a prospect for GFV, even at $200/point (altho the number of points per night to stay there will make a difference...if "the points cost per night" is similar to BLT, I'd "bite." If it's a great deal higher, not sure I would)...

But I'm not a very good prospect. It'll take a year or more before I have a feel for how many points I'll actually be using now that DS' trips with me will be limited to employer-provided vacation time (and that time will be "competing" for other uses, too)...

But the price guesstimates, while giving me pause, wouldn't necessarily put me off...

Anyway, we shall see...

19. BestDadEver

BestDadEver New DVC Member

Only if you have/intend to sell it after the fact . If one goes the term its a non issue.

OP those are the speculated numbers I have been seeing for quite a while . IDK if thats what it will be though my guess would be closer to what dean stated . Probably $180 BLT is $165 last I heard can easily go to $170 am make GFV $180 . But that's just a total guess .

20. Dean

Dean DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis

Actually the additional $$ paid is easily calculated and it's a difference you can never get back. It's like buying a car and paying the dealer markup price over MSRP. If one buys retail you simply paid more than you could have and you get benefits that one can define and currently add no value to the membership. Current the price difference is dramatic and the benefits that are lost do not increase the value of what one owns. It is not reasonable to buy extra points to use for the lost options, even if one buys retail, one should not buy extra points for the other options if you want the best long term dollar value/savings.

21. MSUmom

MSUmom MSU mom

I am a newer member, but I would think that the first year or so it wouldn't be hard to get a room because there is no way they are going to see out all the points for the rooms. Yes, purchasing GF points will get you first pick but are there going to be that many people who purchase the first couple of months.