• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Villas to be announced 9/18!

Getting further off topic....

so where is the low income housing project that Disney is fighting location?

Getting further off topic....

so where is the low income housing project that Disney is fighting location?
It's not really a "low income housing project."

It's a proposed high-density, 1500-unit residential condominium development within the boundaries of the Anaheim Resort District. Just 15% of those units will be classified as affordable.

The location is south of Katella to east of the Fujishige parcel, near the I-5 freeway. It's currently a trailer park.

The Anaheim Resort District is a small (about 2 square miles), specially zoned section of Anaheim. It's less than 5% of Anaheim's land area. The purpose of this district -- which includes the Disneyland Resort, the Anaheim Convention Center, the Anaheim Garden Walk, a bunch of hotels and restaurants, and very limited space for additional development and redevelopment -- is to attract and serve visitors.

SunCal, a for-profit developer (not a public housing agency), wants a zoning change from commercial to high-density residential. This is a case of a developer trying to use property within the Anaheim Resort District for a nonconforming purpose.

Disneyland Resort management wants the Anaheim Resort District to be used as it is intended. Clearly, it would be good for the Disneyland Resort if the SunCal parcel were developed into hotels and/or timeshares, with new guests buying 5-day Park Hoppers every week, walking next door to the third park, and turning turnstiles at the two current Disney theme parks.

Disneyland was gotten some bad press with charges that they're trying to keep "low income housing" out of Anaheim. But that's not true. Disneyland Resort management is not opposed to affordable housing in the other 95% on Anaheim, or in other nearby cities such as Garden Grove or Orange.

SunCal has managed to convince some affordable housing advocates that SunCal represents the good guys and Disneyland represents the bad guys, even though only 15% of their 1500 units would be "affordable" (and "affordable" doesn't mean affordable by hourly cast members).

SunCal wants to make as much money as possible. Disneyland wants to make as much money as possible. Anaheim city council members are divided over this issue.

To sway public opinion, SunCal is not only playing the "low cost housing" card; they're also playing the "private property rights" card. SunCal claims that Disney is trying to tell them what they can and can't do with land that doesn't belong to Disney. That sounds like a good argument on the surface. True, Disney was instrumental in Anaheim's zoning change in 1994. And now all property owners in the Resort District, not just Disney, are under those zoning restrictions.

Zoning is a legitimate government activity. If SunCal bought the land after the zoning change, they knew exactly what the zoning allowed. If they bought before the zoning change, their land is undoubtedly much more valuable now because of the many improvements and investments that have been made in the Resort District.

If I wanted to tear down my house and build a gas station or convenience store on my lot, I would not be allowed to do so (because of zoning) -- even though I might make a lot money doing so. It's a good thing that zoning protects my neighbors. Along the same lines, the Disneyland Resort, the Anaheim Convention Center, the Anaheim Garden Walk, and hotel developers who have invested within the Anaheim Resort District have every right to expect that land in the Anaheim Resort District will be used for visitor-related purposes, not for residential condominiums.

In defense of SunCal, their property might be next door to a third Disney park some day, but that's not the case today. The SunCal property is on the outer edge of the Anaheim Resort District, and it's currently a fair distance from the developed parts of the Disneyland Resort. If Disney had already developed the third park, SunCal might conclude that compliant tourist-related use would be more profitable their proposed noncompliant condo project.

For Disneyland's side of the story, see "Save Our Anaheim Resort District" (SOAR), sponsored by the Disneyland Resort, at http://soaranaheim.com/

For SunCal's side of the story, see "The Anaheim Defender," sponsored by SCC Acquisitions (a part of SunCal), at http://www.weareanaheim.com/

dwelty is mistaken.

The 56-acre Fujishige strawberry farm parcel is within the boundaries of the Anaheim Resort District. The adjoining Disney property, which is also within the Anaheim Resort District is a parking lot.

See http://www.anaheimoc.org/pdf/ResortMap405.pdf for a map of the Anaheim Resort District.

Disney paid somewhere around $90 million for the land. In California, property taxes are based on the purchase price of property, with the tax rates and annual increases controlled since the passage of Proposition 13 in the 1978.

dwelty might be thinking of California's Williamson Act which provides property tax breaks for agricultural use. However, under the Williamson Act, a landowner must commit to restricting the use of land to agricultural and open space for at least 10 years. I have never read that Disney made such a commitment to tie up this land for ten years. In fact, earlier timetables from Disney suggested that a third park would be open or well underway by now.

Disney has not yet done anything with the Fujishige parcel because Disney's California Adventure was so poorly received by guests. Disney will not build a third park until they're able to turn the second park into something that makes the turnstiles spin.

What I meant to say was that Disney has not declared it into the Disneyland Resort Specific plan If you look at the map on the Official Anaheim Planning Department Website, you will see that yes, it is part of the resort district, as are many non-disney hotels shops and resterants, but it is not part of the Disneyland Resort. see this link:http://www.anaheim.net/citydepartments/planning/specific_plans/sp92-1/

It's not really a "low income housing project."

It's a proposed high-density, 1500-unit residential condominium development within the boundaries of the Anaheim Resort District. Just 15% of those units will be classified as affordable.

The location is south of Katella to east of the Fujishige parcel, near the I-5 freeway. It's currently a trailer park.

The Anaheim Resort District is a small (about 2 square miles), specially zoned section of Anaheim. It's less than 5% of Anaheim's land area. The purpose of this district -- which includes the Disneyland Resort, the Anaheim Convention Center, the Anaheim Garden Walk, a bunch of hotels and restaurants, and very limited space for additional development and redevelopment -- is to attract and serve visitors.

SunCal, a for-profit developer (not a public housing agency), wants a zoning change from commercial to high-density residential. This is a case of a developer trying to use property within the Anaheim Resort District for a nonconforming purpose.

Disneyland Resort management wants the Anaheim Resort District to be used as it is intended. Clearly, it would be good for the Disneyland Resort if the SunCal parcel were developed into hotels and/or timeshares, with new guests buying 5-day Park Hoppers every week, walking next door to the third park, and turning turnstiles at the two current Disney theme parks.

Disneyland was gotten some bad press with charges that they're trying to keep "low income housing" out of Anaheim. But that's not true. Disneyland Resort management is not opposed to affordable housing in the other 95% on Anaheim, or in other nearby cities such as Garden Grove or Orange.

SunCal has managed to convince some affordable housing advocates that SunCal represents the good guys and Disneyland represents the bad guys, even though only 15% of their 1500 units would be "affordable" (and "affordable" doesn't mean affordable by hourly cast members).

SunCal wants to make as much money as possible. Disneyland wants to make as much money as possible. Anaheim city council members are divided over this issue.

To sway public opinion, SunCal is not only playing the "low cost housing" card; they're also playing the "private property rights" card. SunCal claims that Disney is trying to tell them what they can and can't do with land that doesn't belong to Disney. That sounds like a good argument on the surface. True, Disney was instrumental in Anaheim's zoning change in 1994. And now all property owners in the Resort District, not just Disney, are under those zoning restrictions.

Zoning is a legitimate government activity. If SunCal bought the land after the zoning change, they knew exactly what the zoning allowed. If they bought before the zoning change, their land is undoubtedly much more valuable now because of the many improvements and investments that have been made in the Resort District.

If I wanted to tear down my house and build a gas station or convenience store on my lot, I would not be allowed to do so (because of zoning) -- even though I might make a lot money doing so. It's a good thing that zoning protects my neighbors. Along the same lines, the Disneyland Resort, the Anaheim Convention Center, the Anaheim Garden Walk, and hotel developers who have invested within the Anaheim Resort District have every right to expect that land in the Anaheim Resort District will be used for visitor-related purposes, not for residential condominiums.

In defense of SunCal, their property might be next door to a third Disney park some day, but that's not the case today. The SunCal property is on the outer edge of the Anaheim Resort District, and it's currently a fair distance from the developed parts of the Disneyland Resort. If Disney had already developed the third park, SunCal might conclude that compliant tourist-related use would be more profitable their proposed noncompliant condo project.

For Disneyland's side of the story, see "Save Our Anaheim Resort District" (SOAR), sponsored by the Disneyland Resort, at http://soaranaheim.com/

For SunCal's side of the story, see "The Anaheim Defender," sponsored by SCC Acquisitions (a part of SunCal), at http://www.weareanaheim.com/

Horace, I wish you would post this on the Dis Unplugged Podcast forum. Pete is always talking about how Disney is Getting a "Black Eye" over trying to stop low income housing.
This post really speaks well to that accusation. Despite what the LA times is attempting to promote, SunCal is not some benevolent developer looking out for the little guy, they want to sell the other 85% of the housing at market rate for Orange County housing, which, as you know, will reap them millions. In the process they will bulldoze the existing trailer park which is already considered low income. The addition of low income housing to the project is something they were forced into in order to get approval from the city.

Horace, I wish you would post this on the Dis Unplugged Podcast forum. Pete is always talking about how Disney is Getting a "Black Eye" over trying to stop low income housing.
This post really speaks well to that accusation. Despite what the LA times is attempting to promote, SunCal is not some benevolent developer looking out for the little guy, they want to sell the other 85% of the housing at market rate for Orange County housing, which, as you know, will reap them millions. In the process they will bulldoze the existing trailer park which is already considered low income. The addition of low income housing to the project is something they were forced into in order to get approval from the city.

I agree the first place I heard about this issue was on the podcast, at the time I thought there had to be more to it, but frankly I didn't look any deeper.

Between a broken right elbow on 9/8 and sinus surgery on 9/18 I missed the announcement. Looks like GCV is still starting out very small, but at least it's a start.

It will be fun to see what info we can find out on our Halloween trip this year.

So tomorrow is Oct 9. The day more info is allegedly released on GCV. I never did see an actual date anywhere other than on the DIS. Where did it say that we are supposed to find out more tomorrow?

So tomorrow is Oct 9. The day more info is allegedly released on GCV. I never did see an actual date anywhere other than on the DIS. Where did it say that we are supposed to find out more tomorrow?

I found the original post:

200 new hotel rooms (not DVC)
50 Bedroom DVC units
Details will be sent out October 9
Completion date late 2009

Plutofan- can you see if your source got any new info?

Have any of you done the tour thing for GC DVCs?? Did you have to make an appointment well ahead of time? Or do you think that once we get down there in Dec, we can just talk to someone?
Thanks!

Kinda off topic, but do you think they will introduce a Magical Express from LAX Airport now that there will be Villas?

Kinda off topic, but do you think they will introduce a Magical Express from LAX Airport now that there will be Villas?

I don't think Magical Express will happen at DLR at least until a 3rd gate opens. It was put in place at WDW to prevent people from renting cars and going to other attractions off site, spending all of their money at WDW. Most people flying to Southern California will rent a car since they plan on seeing more than just Disney.

Al Lutz is reporting that the new plans for DCA are to be unveiled in a press announcement on Wednesday. I am so excited to finally get details and artwork on this! I can only imagine that this will increase the interest in GCV.

Al Lutz is reporting that the new plans for DCA are to be unveiled in a press announcement on Wednesday. I am so excited to finally get details and artwork on this! I can only imagine that this will increase the interest in GCV.

Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup2

I don't think Magical Express will happen at DLR at least until a 3rd gate opens. It was put in place at WDW to prevent people from renting cars and going to other attractions off site, spending all of their money at WDW. Most people flying to Southern California will rent a car since they plan on seeing more than just Disney.

There's other things to do? Bah, who needs them.
I fly to Disneyland most of the time and I have no use for Universal Studios.

Today's the day for more info, right... popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter