Grand Californian Super Thread

It says it will overlook Disneyland, not California Adventure. So I'm guessing they mean the DLH. Also, the name "Fairy Tale Suite" is more congruous with the Disneyland Hotel theme. Suite names at the GCH seem more outdoorsy and rustic (El Capitan, Mt. Whitney, Arcadian Vice, Arroyo, and Artisan).

Yeah thats what I was thinking but then two slides later they start talking about DLH. I think your right though. Where would they put a new pool at GCH anyway? I think though that they need a food court of some kind between all the hotels. Whitewater is too small.

Yeah thats what I was thinking but then two slides later they start talking about DLH. I think your right though. Where would they put a new pool at GCH anyway? I think though that they need a food court of some kind between all the hotels. Whitewater is too small.

Just curious, what would be the benefit of having a food court over DTD? DTD is close enough to all the on-sites.

They said it should be completed by 2012. Here is what was written in the short blurb.

New in Disney Travel: Grand Californian Gets a Makeover
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa in Anaheim, Calif. is undergoing a renovation that will include a new restaurant, pool and guest rooms. The Fairy Tale Suite, a 750-square-foot retreat for couples, will overlook Disneyland through floor-to-ceiling windows. Guests to the Fairy Tale Suite will be welcomed by pixie dust and the appearance of Tinker Bell. Resort renovations are scheduled for completion in 2012.

Wow..you have to love poor reporting..:confused3 it seems like every time I see a media thing about DLR something is wacky..this reminds me of an interview some big wig local anchor did with George K(insert long Greek name here), president of Disneyland, at the Destination D event. It was clear the guy knew nothing about the parks or their history..very odd interview. I would have much preferred Mr.K just speak to us than be interviewed.

Yes, there are two wings of the GCH that face DTD. I call them the East and West wings.

The East wing is closer to Disneyland / DCA. This wing is right over the World of Disney Store in DTD.

The West wing is further away.

Are there two wings of the hotel that have DTD view rooms?

Thanks!

Note the Map below.

Yes, there are two wings of the GCH that face DTD. I call them the East and West wings.

The East wing is closer to Disneyland / DCA. This wing is right over the World of Disney Store in DTD.

Exactly!

The Odd-numbered rooms (137, 139, 141, etc..) from 135 to 169 are on the west wing. These rooms as well as 419 to 451 (odds) on the East wing face DTD.

83ab917c.jpg

So if we have a DTD view for our upcoming trip (and our first stay at the GC!), should we request a specific side? I think we'd prefer being closer to the parks than the shopping so if I ask for the East wing will the front desk know what I'm talking about? :confused3
TIA!

So if we have a DTD view for our upcoming trip (and our first stay at the GC!), should we request a specific side? I think we'd prefer being closer to the parks than the shopping so if I ask for the East wing will the front desk know what I'm talking about? :confused3
TIA!

The probably know but do not expect to get what you request.But allways request) So unless they have changed things, Rooms are assigned on arrival except I heard that you can check into the GCH via phone on the date of your arrival.

Jack

We prefer the East wing. When we have resevered a DTD view we have always gotten the East wing.

Also the stairs are between rooms 448 and 450 and drop you out into DTD very close to the bag check. The stairs can be a hassle with a stroller but we still feel it is easier to carry the stroller down the stairs then to walk all the way back around thru the hotel and DTD.

Chris

this reminds me of an interview some big wig local anchor did with George K(insert long Greek name here), president of Disneyland, at the Destination D event.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: That was Garth Kemp, he's a weatherman that dresses up like an elf at Christmastime! The only place he is a big wig is in his own mind! :rotfl2: He's one of those "comic relief" type guys, not even a meteorologist, his playing dumb was part of his onstage persona. Before he was on TV he was a "shock jock" on a Rock n Roll station, not as bad as Howard Stern, but still offensive.

But I know you mean, I wish they would have just let him (Geoge Greekname) talk to us instead of being prompted with stupid jokes.

We have reservations with VGC and I'm wondering who we would e-mail our room requests to? TIA!
Send your email to Member Services. The address is in your Vacation Planner.
(I seem to recall DISboards does not want email address posted)

Send your email to Member Services. The address is in your Vacation Planner.
(I seem to recall DISboards does not want email address posted)

I'm using a friend's points to stay at VGC so I don't have a vacation planner. Can you PM with the e-mail address? It might be the one I have in my confirmation e-mail but I want to be sure. Thank you!

I'm using a friend's points to stay at VGC so I don't have a vacation planner. Can you PM with the e-mail address? It might be the one I have in my confirmation e-mail but I want to be sure. Thank you!

Since you are using points your friend can do that for you.

Jack

The probably know but do not expect to get what you request.But allways request) So unless they have changed things, Rooms are assigned on arrival except I heard that you can check into the GCH via phone on the date of your arrival.

Jack

We have reservations with VGC and I'm wondering who we would e-mail our room requests to? TIA!

Actually DVC rooms are assigned days in advance... If you want to put in a request the DVC member has to let them know when making the reservation.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: That was Garth Kemp, he's a weatherman that dresses up like an elf at Christmastime! The only place he is a big wig is in his own mind! :rotfl2: He's one of those "comic relief" type guys, not even a meteorologist, his playing dumb was part of his onstage persona. Before he was on TV he was a "shock jock" on a Rock n Roll station, not as bad as Howard Stern, but still offensive.

I agree Alison. Garth's elf gig was way lame this year. As usual. I much prefer the folks at Channel 5 KTLA.;) We like the Barbie (Marybeth) and Cher show as well as the early morning crew. Is Mark Kriski ever coming back? Last I heard (months ago) he was very ill with pneumonia.

Sorry to hijack. Great thread everyone.:) Enjoy your stay(s) at The Grand!

We are currently at GCH staying on the 5th floor right above the mono-rail. Love the room! It is just a short walk down the hall to the elevator that takes us to the ground floor and another few steps to get to the entrance to California Adventure. It is very convenient for going to CA but to get to Disneyland, we have to backtrack to the hotel exit that leads to Downtown Disney. Does anyone know if there is a hotel exit closer to Downtown Disney than the official exit?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter