• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

Nonsuch. I was very surprised to hear we were offered the rollaway. I will see if I can come up with a photo.
I replied "no sleeping bags left" with a smile of course. the concierge said they still had plenty of those.
housekeeping was called to expidite the room and the bed was already made up when we arrived. It seemed to be the size of the day bed
and was in the place the usual day bed is. My 13 year old daughter slept in it and said it was comfortable.

We booked a Courtyard/Woods view through Orbitz last year and were in 3353, so one of the brown woods view rooms. It looks out on to the Grizzly River area, but couldn't see much due to the trees. The location was great, only a short walk to the DCA entrance and pool area.

The DTD view rooms are on floors 3 through 5, in the areas shown yellow and green.
Both groups of rooms are quite distant from an elevator, but the green rooms could use the exit only stairs (red circle) when going to the parks.

The green rooms are above World of Disney, and should have the better view of fireworks.

dtd_view.jpg
Thank you so much for this!! This is super helpful.

Now for my review on our room this time. As most of you all know, I'm one of the biggest Grand Californian Fan Boys out there. I LOVE this place. I love the merchandise, love the robes (the old ones are much better than what they offer now though and Amy and I each have one of our own), love the architecture, love the proximity to everything, love the views, love the balconies, love the restaurants and drinking establishments, love the pools, love the service, love, love, love it. That being said...my room this trip had some serious issues. I was SOOO happy to get what I consider one of the best room locations in the entire resort. Right over the DCA entrance from the Grand. To me, this room location simply CANNOT be beat. You get fireworks views for Disneyland, you get to look INTO the Grizzly Peak area of DCA, you are literally SECONDS from entering the park after leaving your room, close proximity to Napa, Storytellers, and the Pools, it’s just the perfect location.

Before I dig too deep into my issues with the room I thought it would be good to frame up where I’ve stayed before and the general condition of each of those rooms.

I've had several different views over the years. For our first trip in 2010, we were right over world of Disney on the 3rd or 4th floor. The Down Town Disney view and the fireworks view was pretty great for our first trip.

DSCN8309%20(Large).JPG

Our room on this trip was perfect, nothing out of place, worn, etc. Just perfect experience all around.
View: 3 out of 5
Room Condition: 5 out of 5

For our 2011, trip, we managed to get a 3rd floor view into DCA over on the Paradise Pier side. We looked directly at Goofy’s Sky School. It was a pretty unique vantage point, and afforded close proximity to the 6th floor WOC viewing deck as well as a great photo opportunity of myself and Katherine on Goofy's as taken from our balcony.
View: 4 out of 5

DSCN0207%20(Large).JPG

For our third trip, in May 2013, we had a room location which I'd probably say was one of the least remarkable ones to date. We were in the wing over the shops in Downtown Disney, however we were facing inward and looking into the Brisa Courtyard. We had a great monorail view, but outside of that, all we had to look at was the other rooms of the hotel.
Pretty disappointing. One fault I will point out though, was one of the sinks was slow draining. I called and had them come up, and it was fixed by facilities while we were in the park
View: 1.5 out of 5
Room Condition: 4 out of 5

DSC_1405%20(Large).jpg

For our fourth trip in February of 2014, we had a great location, and a decent view. We were tucked into the corner of the wing above Napa and were facing into the hotel. Great view of the pool and Mickey's Fun Wheel of DOOM. Would have been even better if we were a few floors up, but regardless, I LOVE the room and the location could not be beat. Room condition: Superb as always.
View: 3 out of 5

DSC_5699%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5702%20(Large).jpg

We'll skip my next few trips as they were solo and as such I stayed offsite, but Amy and I made a trip out in September of 2014 to celebrate her birthday and attend Dapper Days. This time, we had an Accessible room. These rooms appear to be in the same locations on each floor. The room configuration was pretty different than our usual bunk-bed rooms. The bathroom was completely separate from the rest of the room. Whereas with every other visit, the double vanity is open to the rest of the room with only the water closet and shower being behind a door, this configuration had everything behind a wide door. The room also had a sofa, coffee table, and King size bed (I believe it was a King) instead of the bunk beds and Queen we normally get. The room was located in a corner facing the valet area with remarkable views of not a whole lot. Room condition: GREAT! Everything seemed very NEW and recently updated.
View: 1 out of 5

DSC_2613%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2625%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2626%20(Large).jpg

This brings us to our family trip of October 2014. We again had a Brisa Courtyard room right next to the monorail. The view... pretty meh. The location... pretty good. One thing we noticed on this trip was a water stain on the ceiling over by the wall partition to the bathroom sink area. Obviously there was a leak in one of the rooms above and the damage to rooms below had NOT been addressed. This was the first time the quality of the room had really been less than great. It unfortunately was NOT to be the last.
View: 1 out of 5
Room Condition: 3 out of 5

DSC_4904%20(Large).jpg

And finally, my most recent visit and stay at the Grand. This was to be my ideal room location, ideal view, but the condition... horrible. We'll start with the location and view. We were directly over the entrance to DCA facing into
Grizzly peak. The view was GREAT. Only elevation and a few rooms closer to the monorail could have made it better. The location was unbeatable. I LOVE this wing, and I'd stay in it every time if I could. Best location in the entire resort in my opinion.

DSC_0261%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0277%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0294%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0315%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0322%20(Large).jpg

OK, here's where this is going to get ugly. Condition of the room.... furniture... in shambles. One of the first things we go to do is pull out the trundle to get Victoria settled. The pull is completely missing from one side. Here's a few pics of what it looked like and is supposed to look like. I realize this hardware is expensive and they probably didn't order a whole lot of spares, but still... unacceptable for a room at the Flagship of Disney's DLR.

DSC_1172%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1173%20(Large).jpg

Next up... the refrigerator cabinet.... it couldn't be closed...

DSC_1174%20(Large).jpg

The hinges were completely blown out on it. These are easily replaceable as they are your standard flush-fitting hinges available for replacement from any cabinet hardware company. COMPLETELY unacceptable.

Next up... peeling wallpaper. Here's one pic, but there was peeling wallpaper in multiple locations in the room. UNACCEPTABLE at the grand.

DSC_1175%20(Large).jpg

Next up... missing trim rings on the bathroom hardware... Again.. Disney better have ordered a surplus of Hardware, but to completely leave something like this is just horrible. Go grab a new piece of hardware even if it doesn't match. Nobody will notice if the style is SLIGHTLY off... they'll notice the missing hardware pieces though.

DSC_1177%20(Large).jpg

Next up... There were sticky spots on the carpet. Presumption was bubble gun solution, but who knows.

Lastly... Katherine found suckers jammed between the mattress and the frame on the top bunk... lots and lots of suckers. Thankfully, all the suckers were still in their wrappers, but man... what a poor deal. Mousekeeping clearly didn't do a good job when cleaning the room, or completely neglected to change the bedding on the top bunk from the last patron. UNACCEPTABLE.

View: 4.5 out of 5
Room Condition: 1 out of 5

All of this in a room with a rack rate in excess of $500/night. So disappointed. Will we be back? ABSOLUTELY. Was this an experience which has made me very critical of how the hotel is being maintained and what I feel is a trend with Disney of lack of maintenance because of their monopoly on the experience. The Grand is still our Californian Home away from home but the Disneyland Hotel is looking just a little bit more attractive these days.

I wonder if the GCH will go under renovation after the 60th? It seems it needs attention, especially given the room rates it demands now.

I just booked 2 Club Level rooms for April 20 to the 23. My son needs to go out on business before we head up to Lompoc for my SIL's retirement from the Air Force. My son is bringing his 5 year old daughter so we can take her into the parks while he works, it is a secret as her 3 yr. old sister will not be happy. Anyway, this is our first time staying her and their first time to Disneyland, multiple trips to WDW though. Where are rooms located and what can I expect in the way of service? We always stay club level at WDW and hope the experience will be just as nice.

I wonder if the GCH will go under renovation after the 60th? It seems it needs attention, especially given the room rates it demands now.
They've been doing a LOT of exterior maintenance and refurbishment. They are probably going to be doing room renovations as some point this year I would imagine. Most of the hotel is going on 15 years old.

Caimakale, Hello. It has been 5 years since our encounter at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel.... at the cabana. My name is Mr. Dennis. I hope this reply finds you well. I am posting this reply because folks have begun to say these events never took place. I know you respect the dignity of the charitable nature of what we where trying to do because you never posted my full name or pictures of folks who received gifts. I know it has been a long time, but i am wondering if you have any more pictures of my cabana creations? It makes me sad to be called a liar when folks hear our stories. In all... your one post is the only recognition that I have.... I understand if there are no other images... I forbade pictures from our team..... I know its a long shot.. but if you have them could you Post a few more from 2010... Always in your service... Mr. Dennis.

During my visit last week, I met someone down at the Hearthstone Lounge by the name of Dennis (I won't mention last names). Has anyone ever met Dennis? You may have and just didn't realize it.

Dennis frequents the GCH on a regular basis (8 times this year alone). He is known by name by most Castmembers that work there. He always stays in a suite w/ concierge.

This guy is an amazing guy...so down to earth and a true Disney fanatic. During his stays, he rents and decorates a cabana each day. When I say decorates, he goes out and buys a "theme" and completely decks out the cabana. While I was there, he had a Tinkerbell theme, Nightmare Before Christmas Theme, and Mickey Theme. It's a site to be seen for sure. He usually has little things that he will hand out to the kids if they come by. I say little, but find me a toy from World of Disney that is cheaper than $15. My girls got charm bracelets with charms, dolls, light up toys, and all sorts of other goodies. He does it all out of the kindness of his heart. To him, its about the Disney experience and making it as magical as he can. I tried buying him drinks at the lounge, dinner, etc, and he wouldn't have any part of it. Finally, I had to slip some money to a cast member that he was going to dinner with and told her to buy the dinner, on me, for his generosity.

If you ever get the opportunity to meet him, do it. He loves quoting Disney movies and is in love with everything Disney so be prepared to join in and follow along. He's such a good guy with a giving heart who loves Disney. Tell him you're friends with Lee...

Here's a picture of the Mickey/Minnie theme. The sad thing is, you can't see half of the decorations. You can see the towels and the dolls on the lounge chairs. Up front and center, you can also see the "Partners Statue". Back further in the cabana it was even more decorated...from the coasters, to hanging decorations, etc...

IMG_0394.jpg
Cia

We will be staying at GCH at the end of May for five nights! I'm so excited I'm about to burst. We have reserved an accessible room with two queen beds, roll in shower, standard view. Does anyone have a map showing where the accessible rooms may be located? Any special requests I should make to get as close to the park entrance as possible?

I really wanted to do concierge, but that was way out of our budget.

I have a request, please. Are there other room maps, like the above posted ones, that show room category location? We are booked for standard as we have stayed before and room view just wasn't on my list of must haves. However, we were in the new DVC wing (200's) overlooking hotel entrance. The room was very new feeling and refreshed so watching new visitors come and go didn't phase us. Our second trip we lucked out and were upgraded to partial park view (I think) again in the 200's but looking onto Goofys flight school, which was again the new addition and a very refreshed room (#3242 Or 44). Just wondering where other standard rooms could put us in the hotel. The category location map would be super helpful in case I do decide to upgrade to woods or partial view. Thanks!

Does anyone know if guests can leave items for non-registered guests to pick-up at Guest Services/Front Desk/Somewhere Similar? My friends are going down a few days before I am and we thought it might make sense if they take some items down with them, use them and then leave them for me, I'll use them, and then bring them home. Nothing perishable or big. They are staying at the GCH, but I am not.

They may be able to leave something if you are arriving to pick it up the same day they leave, but the hotels cannot store items overnight. They have to clear that room out every night.

At least that is what I was told at PPH.

Does anyone know if guests can leave items for non-registered guests to pick-up at Guest Services/Front Desk/Somewhere Similar? My friends are going down a few days before I am and we thought it might make sense if they take some items down with them, use them and then leave them for me, I'll use them, and then bring them home. Nothing perishable or big. They are staying at the GCH, but I am not.

We once missed friends by 1 day while staying at GCH and asked them to store our Bumble car seat and they did. Our friends were staying at Candy Cane Inn and picked it up the morning after we left.
BTW- the item was really small so maybe that contributed to their willingness to store it for a day.
It may be subjective.

This probably isn't the place to ask this but since Im following the board, how do I change my signature? I still have my old one from a few years ago. Ive looked everywhere and cant seem to find where to edit it. Thanks in advance.

Up towards the top of the page, you should see your user name. Click on it and drop down menu should appear. Click on Signature. For questions like this and others, you can often find the answer down on the Technical Support board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter