• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

We just finished our first onsite trip to DLR and stayed at GCH March 1-6. I picked it because my DH does not enjoy Disney-anything, but I thought he'd appreciate the charm and national park-like setting of the hotel. He liked GCH a lot. We got a great rate, 25% off of the non-weekend winter special, and 15% off on top of that via Orbitz. Not as low as a Dapper Day rate, but it was pretty good. Since I booked a woodlands/courtyard room on Orbitz, I didn't know how a specific room request would work and didn't call to make a request. But when we checked in, they said "you wanted the King bed/Day bed combo, correct?" Stunned, I said Yes. And it was ready when we checked in. We got a great room with a King bed, 3323, which not only overlooked a beautiful courtyard, with the monorail passing by, but looked out into the Starbucks side plaza / World of Disney entrance in DTD. It was pixie dust! We really appreciated the closeness to DTD, DCA and DL. We went back and forth several times a day, and it made park hopping super easy. We were lucky to have the Redwood Creek area in DCA re-open during our stay, so our last forray into a park was using the special DCA entrance just to slowly walk through the Redwood Creek area, like walking in a national park. It was a great way to end our last park day.

Pool entrance-
Is it the pathway by #9 on the lobby level map?

If it is, would it make sense to cut through the pool area to get to White Water Snacks or the entrance to DCA or is it easier and simpler to walk through the hotel?
2c754138.jpg

Pool entrance-
Is it the pathway by #9 on the lobby level map?

If it is, would it make sense to cut through the pool area to get to White Water Snacks or the entrance to DCA or is it easier and simpler to walk through the hotel?
2c754138.jpg

That#9 is by the villas. So if you're staying at the villas, yes it's quicker to take that path through the pool to WWS or the DC entrance. If you're staying in the regular rooms, you'll be better off going the path and the pool - not through it.

I have a couple questions. We have stayed at GCH twice and I know they have fridges in the room, but are they empty or do we need to pay to have them emptied?

I booked a standard view room. Are any of these on the first floor? (I would prefer to not be on the ground floor)

Thanks so much!

I have a couple questions. We have stayed at GCH twice and I know they have fridges in the room, but are they empty or do we need to pay to have them emptied?
The refrigerators are empty.
Don't set the temperature too low, my Coke Zeros froze and exploded!

I booked a standard view room. Are any of these on the first floor? (I would prefer to not be on the ground floor)
There are 15 ground floor hotel rooms, out of approximately 1000 rooms.
There are also 13 ground floor villas.

I am very excited to be staying at the Grand Cal this October. I haven't been to California Disneyland since their 50th Anniversary, I always wanted to make it back for the 60th and now with my babies :goodvibes I remember on our last visit we caught the Disneyland Express to our hotel in Anaheim and I remember stopping at the Grand and being wowed, saying to my husband 'oh imagine staying there, lucky people!' This time we can be the lucky people :jumping3:We have stayed at Aulani, and my kids say this hotel looks like Aulani's big brother, I can't wait until October :jumping1:

The refrigerators are empty.
Don't set the temperature too low, my Coke Zeros froze and exploded!

There are 15 ground floor hotel rooms, out of approximately 1000 rooms.
There are also 13 ground floor villas.

Thanks so much for the info!

We're headed to the GCH this summer for our DD's Sweet 16 trip, to which her BFF is invited. We booked a one-bedroom suite for the extra room and so we can all have some privacy.

Any recommendations for room requests? I figured I'd request theme park view - good enough, you think? Not knowing exactly where these suites are located, I'm not sure if that's the best/only request to make.
Short answer: Request to be above Napa Rose, facing the park (329/331 on the map).

Long answer: Most of the suites are located at the end each wing of the hotel and a few are above Napa Rose and Storytellers. These are the likely locations for suites:
locations.jpg

Some sample floorplans:
artisan_4.jpg

The upper right floorplan uses the footprint of 2 standard rooms and could be located anywhere, so those are not shown on the location map.
The lower right floorplan (or similar) is above Napa Rose (329/331) and Storytellers (312/318).

Short answer: Request to be above Napa Rose, facing the park (329/331 on the map).

Long answer: Most of the suites are located at the end each wing of the hotel and a few are above Napa Rose and Storytellers. These are the likely locations for suites:

The upper right floorplan uses the footprint of 2 standard rooms and could be located anywhere, so those are not shown on the location map.
The lower right floorplan (or similar) is above Napa Rose (329/331) and Storytellers (312/318).

Thanks so much, Nonsuch - that is very helpful information! Photo helps, too.

:sunny:

I am very excited to be staying at the Grand Cal this October. I haven't been to California Disneyland since their 50th Anniversary, I always wanted to make it back for the 60th and now with my babies :goodvibes I remember on our last visit we caught the Disneyland Express to our hotel in Anaheim and I remember stopping at the Grand and being wowed, saying to my husband 'oh imagine staying there, lucky people!' This time we can be the lucky people :jumping3:We have stayed at Aulani, and my kids say this hotel looks like Aulani's big brother, I can't wait until October :jumping1:

We'll be there in October too! Can't wait to see all the 60th anniversary stuff!

We're headed to the GCH this summer for our DD's Sweet 16 trip, to which her BFF is invited. We booked a one-bedroom suite for the extra room and so we can all have some privacy.

Any recommendations for room requests? I figured I'd request theme park view - good enough, you think? Not knowing exactly where these suites are located, I'm not sure if that's the best/only request to make.

Thanks!

:sunny:

Are you in a one bedroom suite or one bedroom DVC villa?

I just changed my reservation from the Paradise Pier to the GC downtown Disney view and am so excited. Is there a specific area or room that is better or closer to get to and from the parks?

we stayed at the Grand Californian last week for 2 nights in concierge level. Because of all the information found here we were able to enhance our
experience. We were met at LAX by DK livery. no problems with their service.
I had requested the elusive 2 queen beds with day bed, they accidently gave that room to my brother but they offered me an upgrade to compensate. We were given a theme park view 2 queen beds with a rollaway. I don't believe I have read before that a rollaway was available.
Room #4446 next to the "special" stairs exit to Disneyland entrance. Very easy to use just like on the video shown in an earlier post.
The hotel was beautiful. Staff charming. Concierge lounge yummy and useful. even though it was a bit of a hike from our room. loved the scones.
We stayed Sunday and Monday night, even though it was spring break the parks were managable. Didn't feel crowded.
I hope this helps someone as I have throughly enjoyed everyone's contributions.

...We were given a theme park view 2 queen beds with a rollaway. I don't believe I have read before that a rollaway was available...
GCH did not have rollaway beds, so this must be recent change.
Please post a picture, if you have any.

I just changed my reservation from the Paradise Pier to the GC downtown Disney view and am so excited. Is there a specific area or room that is better or closer to get to and from the parks?
The DTD view rooms are on floors 3 through 5, in the areas shown yellow and green.
Both groups of rooms are quite distant from an elevator, but the green rooms could use the exit only stairs (red circle) when going to the parks.

The green rooms are above World of Disney, and should have the better view of fireworks.

dtd_view.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter