"GRAD,NIGHTMARE. 2015

Mike Z

Earning My Ears
I took my family to Disneyland tonight only to realize it was grad night 2015. Kids are kids and the smoking, foul language and rude obnoxious behavior is expected however I can't understand why Disneyland can't change their security for this event and manage these 18 year old crazies or bring them in at midnight so families can enjoy the park. These kids were cutting lines like crazy, telling moms and dads to **** off and there was no security anywhere and this was space mountain. They had a few 17 year olds working the line but they were so overwhelmed by the huge crowd and seemed scared to confront these kids. Real security for the space mountain ride was needed and it was nowhere to be found. Disgust towards the lack of respect these kids show when set loose was on everyone's mind. the purpose of this post is to warn people to stay away from Disneyland when fresh outta High School grads are let loose and there is a lack of security to keep them in check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! I have 3 Grad Nights when I am there next week. I have heard so many horror stories. I am really dreading my trip now. I was looking forward to it but not any more. I'm thinking about canceling and just not dealing with the Grad Night mess. If I cancel I will loose about $1600. Not to mention I had planned for the time off. I really wish I could have gone on vacation another time but I couldn't. Next week was the only time that would work for me. So frustrating!

Great! I have 3 Grad Nights when I am there next week. I have heard so many horror stories. I am really dreading my trip now. I was looking forward to it but not any more. I'm thinking about canceling and just not dealing with the Grad Night mess. If I cancel I will loose about $1600. Not to mention I had planned for the time off. I really wish I could have gone on vacation another time but I couldn't. Next week was the only time that would work for me. So frustrating!

Don't give up! I feel like you and I are in this together! We shall persevere!!!!

Don't let the horror stories make you change your plans but just be aware. I do think Disney Land needs to be told what foul mouth little brats the kids are being and me.. you tell me to **** off when you cut my line ill march right to a CM and point the group out. My kid and hubby can hold my place in line. I will not bow down to punks. Don't let it mess your trip up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly hope you reported this to guest services. Disney really needs to change their approach to grad nights, because this hasn't been working well for several years.

That said, we were fortunate. Our last trip in 2013 we had three grad nights out of four days, and we didn't experience any problems like this. We didn't go on the headliners late, however, we stayed on the smaller rides and did entertainment, and it worked out fine. But I had spent more than a few hours worried about how it would turn out. Our dates weren't flexible, so we just went with it, and I'm so glad we did. We had a great trip.

When I went two years ago two of our three nights were grad nights, I had no idea what that was until this board. But I took some advice from someone on here and stayed at California adventure for early evening because that was the only time they could be DL. It seemed to help with the crowds and when I noticed more teens at CA we hopped on over DL and our experience was fine. No real issue other than trying to explain to my then 10 year old DS why someone would want gigantic holes in their ears, I mean my son could have stuck his fist thru them! They were huge! I guess I lucked out because my experience wasn't as bad as the original posters. Don't stress about it too much and enjoy your vacation!

Teenagers are absolutely horrible. I can imagine that they are also very disrespectful to the employees, to. They no longer do grad night at disneyworld because of this. I had to have mine at Universal/Islands of adventure. It was a little better because they closed the park off for just us, but yeah. They're a nightmare. I really hope you're all still able to have a good time :)

Teenagers are absolutely horrible. I can imagine that they are also very disrespectful to the employees, to. They no longer do grad night at disneyworld because of this. I had to have mine at Universal/Islands of adventure. It was a little better because they closed the park off for just us, but yeah. They're a nightmare. I really hope you're all still able to have a good time :)

I think there are lots of lovely teenagers. It's just that the obnoxious ones stand out. But there are many more great kids than there are troublemakers!

Our visit on a Grad night last year was ok. It is still Disneyland and still a blast, but the atmosphere got much more like Knot's or Magic Mountain with the influx of teens. I would still rather be in Disneyland then at home!! The mornings were so quiet, with a lot of grads still on their way. You can get a lot done in those early hours, and then start collecting your fastpasses before afternoon and you should still be able to enjoy everything you want. I think the latest Aladdin show is at 6:20 so that might be a good one to catch, and the latest showing of Mickey and the Magical Map in DL. Enjoy leisurely dinners and enjoy the atmosphere!! Even on Grad night, nothing beats Disneyland! It is a shame they cannot sensor their own language around so many younger kids...

Unfortunately it's completely different this year because the Grad Night tickets are park hoppers good all day and then the grads can congregate over in DCA for their special all night party. But before that they can have the run of the parks. We've gone in the past on Grad Nights and it didn't affect our experience at all. Last night when we were there it was pretty bad - and I'm an optimistic, positive type person. The sheer numbers of them in DLP was the worst of it, and they all wanted to watch the new parade/fireworks so that made the crowds even worse. I have NEVER seen the amount of trash throughout the park as I did last night. Even at their best without the foul language and bad manners some exhibit, their rowdiness and pack mentality can get to you. I do think DL needs to reconsider the change to PH tickets for them, and I will be contacting guest services through multiple avenues.

That being said, it's still Disneyland and awesomeness can be found! Just go into it knowing you'll want to plan around the Grad Nights. Definitely do parade/fireworks on a non GN if you can. Do WOC and other shows on a GN. Enjoy a nice sit down meal.

I think there are lots of lovely teenagers. It's just that the obnoxious ones stand out. But there are many more great kids than there are troublemakers!
So true! I'm sorry, I can be a little rough haha. There's a lot of sweet people of any age, and unfortunately we tend to remember only the bad eggs. I definitely wasn't a malicious teenager... just a bit self centered, as most teens can unintentionally be. That darn "spotlight effect"!

I went last year on a grad night and it wasn't that bad. There was one moment in cars land where some kids were jumping on things and acting a fool and a cast member went after them, it was pretty incredible. Definitely report these things, and you can always file a written complaint at guest services so they have a record.

I wouldn't get worked up over one bad isolated experience. That is far from normal or rampant. Most of the kids are well behaved and just having fun. And most grad nights are just fine for the other people in the parks.

This next part isn't toward the OP at all as what you explained is a very unfortunate thing that happened but much of a persons experience on grad nights has to do with their own mentality going in.
If you go in with the mindset of you wish you could cancel than you are surely going to have a miserable time and blame the grad night when in fact it was your own mentality going in that was the problem. Yes you may need to plan a little differently for a grad night but if you do that and go there with a positive attitude than more than likely you will have a great time and not have any (or very few atleast) problems with grads in the parks.

Even on non grad nights there are school groups in the parks every day this time of year. I haven't seen an foul mouthed kids yet, but I've already encountered line cutting from families and foul mouthed parents. Disney CMs do not confront line cutters. It might be frustrating, but as far as they're concerned it is allowed, so set your expectations appropriately. I will still sometimes complain to a CM to be seated away from a group, like tell them I was in line for 40 minutes when 7 people joined the group ahead of me. It usually gets me in another boat so I don't have to ride with a rude group but so far they haven't changed their line cutting policy.

I was there last night, too. I did not have any bad experiences. These incidents are isolated. They just stick out because they are so out of the norm for Disney. OP- I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. Sucks, big time. I do wish they'd police bad behavior better.

Unfortunately it's completely different this year because the Grad Night tickets are park hoppers good all day and then the grads can congregate over in DCA for their special all night party. But before that they can have the run of the parks. We've gone in the past on Grad Nights and it didn't affect our experience at all. Last night when we were there it was pretty bad - and I'm an optimistic, positive type person. The sheer numbers of them in DLP was the worst of it, and they all wanted to watch the new parade/fireworks so that made the crowds even worse. I have NEVER seen the amount of trash throughout the park as I did last night. Even at their best without the foul language and bad manners some exhibit, their rowdiness and pack mentality can get to you. I do think DL needs to reconsider the change to PH tickets for them, and I will be contacting guest services through multiple avenues.

That being said, it's still Disneyland and awesomeness can be found! Just go into it knowing you'll want to plan around the Grad Nights. Definitely do parade/fireworks on a non GN if you can. Do WOC and other shows on a GN. Enjoy a nice sit down meal.
They started giving them all-day park hoppers a few years back, 2012, I believe. I had a similar experience to the OP that first year - bad language, line jumping, rude teens, condom on the ground.. Report your experience. Complain. Hopefully eventually Disney will stop this all-day foolishness and confine the grads to the all-night party instead.

We haven't stayed in the park on a grad night evening since that first year. But, catching a show, riding kiddie rides, scheduling a nice sit-down dinner - all of these would be ways to avoid obnoxious teens (hopefully).

We went during grad nights a few years ago. Line jumping was horrible, but the lewd behavior surprised me. I'm not a prude, but it was very ackward.

So I was planning WOC on the non-GN and Fantasmic/fireworks on the GN. Do people think I should try to swap these? Also, which night would be preferable to visit Carsland? I am planning to make full use of EE but did want to experience RSR at night. Many thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter